inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Does cleanliness lead to less bugs?

Written By: Howard on 05/02/04 at 5:20 pm

I think that if you clean more often espcially where the bugs can linger,you wouldn't have any problems. Like, for the past couple of years,I've been having wasps almost every day during the late Spring and Summer come thru my windows and I don't even know how the hell they even got in there ??? :o But,they were about the size of my thumb,WOW! :o and last night there was a running cockroach in our bathroom and a few ants that my mother had cleaned up on the carpet,the other night.Well,I've been trying to clean my room more often and now I hardly even see those wasps anymore.;D

Tell what bugs you? ;D

Howard

Subject: Re: Does cleanliness lead to less bugs?

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 05/03/04 at 7:27 am

Howard, my wife goes apesh*t every time she sees a cockroach, and pursues it to the end of the earth to clobber it !

All the time with my words ringing in her ears "For every one you see, there are dozens you don't"  ;D  Goes down real well  ::) :o

Written By: Bobby on 05/03/04 at 7:33 am

Howard, my wife goes apesh*t every time she sees a cockroach, and pursues it to the end of the earth to clobber it !

All the time with my words ringing in her ears "For every one you see, there are dozens you don't"  ;D  Goes down real well  ::) :o

Lol. Sometimes it's best not to know.

For wasp problems, Howard, My grandad used to keep an open jar of jam/marmalade outside in the garden. The wasps will head towards that instead of your house. Unfortunately they will come to a 'sticky' end because they can't get out again but it works a treat.

Cockroaches I have no idea about. Smack 'em with a rolling pin or something . . .  :)

Written By: NullandVoid on 05/03/04 at 3:25 pm

New York Roaches are the most relentless things on the earth! The only thing we can do is clean, spray some RAID and pray for a miracle.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/03/04 at 4:52 pm

New York Roaches are the most relentless things on the earth! The only thing we can do is clean, spray some RAID and pray for a miracle.

I hear that in a pinch, you can saddle up those NYC cock roaches and ride them to work!

;D

Written By: Howard on 05/03/04 at 9:13 pm

Lol. Sometimes it's best not to know.

For wasp problems, Howard, My grandad used to keep an open jar of jam/marmalade outside in the garden. The wasps will head towards that instead of your house. Unfortunately they will come to a 'sticky' end because they can't get out again but it works a treat.

Cockroaches I have no idea about. Smack 'em with a rolling pin or something . . .  :)

For me,I used a half a can of RAID and when I saw the cockroach in my bathroom,I sprayed it real good till it squirmed and I threw it down the toilet! :P Good riddance!

Howard

Written By: Howard on 05/03/04 at 9:15 pm

They don't fly in my room anymore,hopefully  :P

(Maybe I shouldn't speak,they might show up) :o

Howard

Written By: AssKicker on 05/04/04 at 2:22 pm

I suppose it depends on HOW clean you keep things. If you keep things super-clean (ie cleaning everything with disinfectant twice a day or something), it will help to get rid of bugs since there are no pieces of food or fungus for them to eat.
However, it can lead to other problems. My aunt kept her house spotlessly clean and scrubbed with disinfectant and every cleaning product under the sun and her kids developed asthma and a plethora of allergies.
My parents kept a cat and cleaned things about as often as they always did (fairly frequently but not obsessively often- they didn't have time with two screaming kids around! ;)) and I used to eat worms and things from the garden before I knew what they were!
My sister and I ended up fine. No asthma, no allergies to anything. (although I do have an allergy to certain colouring chemicals, as does my mother, so it could be inherited.)

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/04/04 at 4:16 pm

I wonder if bugs keep their premises clean.  ???  Seems to me that a "good bug" would want to live in a dirty bug house.

I mean, wouldn't a bug who keeps his place clean be considered antisocial by the other bugs ?

;D

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/04/04 at 4:19 pm

For me,I used a half a can of RAID and when I saw the cockroach in my bathroom,I sprayed it real good till it squirmed and I threw it down the toilet! :P Good riddance!

Howard

A whole HALF A CAN OF RAID to off one bug?  :o

Geez. You're not supposed to DROWN the bug !  Raid is for CHEMICAL warfare.

;D

Written By: Howard on 05/04/04 at 9:37 pm

A whole HALF A CAN OF RAID to off one bug?  :o

Geez. You're not supposed to DROWN the bug !  Raid is for CHEMICAL warfare.

;D

I wanted this Cockroach to die a thousand deaths! It deserved it! :P

Howard

Written By: Howard on 05/04/04 at 9:38 pm

I suppose it depends on HOW clean you keep things. If you keep things super-clean (ie cleaning everything with disinfectant twice a day or something), it will help to get rid of bugs since there are no pieces of food or fungus for them to eat.
However, it can lead to other problems. My aunt kept her house spotlessly clean and scrubbed with disinfectant and every cleaning product under the sun and her kids developed asthma and a plethora of allergies.
My parents kept a cat and cleaned things about as often as they always did (fairly frequently but not obsessively often- they didn't have time with two screaming kids around! ;)) and I used to eat worms and things from the garden before I knew what they were!
My sister and I ended up fine. No asthma, no allergies to anything. (although I do have an allergy to certain colouring chemicals, as does my mother, so it could be inherited.)

I think dusting and vacuuming has to do with that as well. ;D

Howard

Written By: Howard on 05/11/04 at 9:32 pm

Last year,after the rainfall Our kitchen had fruitflies and ants. :P What could possibly have happened for them to come inside our house? :o ???

Howard

Written By: Meltd0wn on 05/11/04 at 10:09 pm

Bugs are the most prominent collection of creatures on land.

keeping everything clean does help alot in keeping them out of sight, mainly because they have nothing to go out searching for.

but unless you have a way of Cleaning under floor boards, inside walls, throughout the attic and/or basement. also anything close or connected to the house including sheds, garages, woodpiles, dog houses, etc, bugs are going to be near by.

My philosiphy is IF I see it, I get to kill it. but if I cant see it, then it can live. LOL

Written By: Fred on 05/12/04 at 12:40 am

Also Howard, be sure to vacuum your bed too, because dust mites are a reality.

*Mischeviously laughes at everybody knowing Canada doesn't have cockroaches*  ;D
I've never actually seen a real cockroach. Allthough have heard it can survive for ten days without its head.  :o

Written By: Howard on 05/12/04 at 8:54 pm

Also Howard, be sure to vacuum your bed too, because dust mites are a reality.

*Mischeviously laughes at everybody knowing Canada doesn't have cockroaches*  ;D
I've never actually seen a real cockroach. Allthough have heard it can survive for ten days without its head.  :o

Last week,I vacuumed my bed but when do you have to do it? ???

Howard

Written By: Howard on 05/12/04 at 8:57 pm

Not necessarily anything.  Fruit flies are attracted by food, usually fruit or anything sweet so in the summer months, make sure to wipe up any spills, put dirty dishes in the dishwasher (or wash them) and don't leave any fruit out.  Ants are just annoying.  There's not much you can do other than ant traps and stuff.  In our old house, we had a huge tree with branches hanging over our roof.  The ants would fall out of the tree, then just come into our house.  I had someone come in and spray for them 4 times in the 3 years we lived there, but nothing got rid of those suckers.

Our house in inundated with those darned Asian lady beetles.  You know, the ones that look like anemic lady bugs.  You can't crush them because if you do, they stink to high heaven and you have to watch out because they bite.  I'm supposed to have someone come out to spray for them this week.  Hopefully, that'll get rid of them.

Last summer was terrible.We had to stomp on ants like crazy during the wet Summer Months! Now,My father might call an exterminator this time! :P

Howard

Written By: Bobby on 05/13/04 at 4:55 am

We have just had an infestation of ants as well. We've put the powder down though, there's no escape.  :)

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/13/04 at 6:22 pm

What Canada lacks in cockroaches, it more than makes up for in mosquitos !  :D

I once canoed from Lake Superior to James Bay (Missinaibi River trip) and darn near got eaten alive !  :(

Written By: Howard on 05/13/04 at 9:45 pm

I think we have wood ants.We might have to call an exterminator or something. >:(

Howard

Written By: Fred on 05/14/04 at 1:52 am

What Canada lacks in cockroaches, it more than makes up for in mosquitos !  :D

I once canoed from Lake Superior to James Bay (Missinaibi River trip) and darn near got eaten alive !  :(

That's true, every summer I have to net all the food over the barbeque so they don't get at it.  :(

Written By: Fred on 05/14/04 at 1:52 am

Last week,I vacuumed my bed but when do you have to do it? ???

Howard

Whenever you vacuum your room you should do it.

Written By: zac on 05/14/04 at 3:20 am

Last year,after the rainfall Our kitchen had fruitflies and ants. :P What could possibly have happened for them to come inside our house? :o ???

Howard
  Me guesses it could be hunger.  :o

Written By: karen on 05/14/04 at 4:30 am

We have just had an infestation of ants as well. We've put the powder down though, there's no escape.  :)

We haven't had what you would call an infestation exactly; just one or two ants every day.  They are in the lounge and the kitchen. 

I haven't spotted where they are getting in so haven't put any powder down yet.  Having a 2 year old and a 5 year old, neither of whom have learnt not to put fingers in mouths, means I am reluctant to just randomly treat everywhere.

Written By: Bobby on 05/14/04 at 5:11 am

We haven't had what you would call an infestation exactly; just one or two ants every day.  They are in the lounge and the kitchen. 

I haven't spotted where they are getting in so haven't put any powder down yet.  Having a 2 year old and a 5 year old, neither of whom have learnt not to put fingers in mouths, means I am reluctant to just randomly treat everywhere.

I don't blame you, Karen. It must be cool having kids that age. My girlfriend's neice and nephew are around that age gap and they do funny stuff and make me laugh. They don't half cause chaos around the house though. Many a time we are scrubbing walls and hoovering carpets after they've done their damage.  :-\\  :)

Written By: karen on 05/14/04 at 5:49 am

They don't half cause chaos around the house though. Many a time we are scrubbing walls and hoovering carpets after they've done their damage.  :-\\  :)

I'd go with you on this one Bobby.  My son (the 2 year old) generally needs a decoat after meals, particularly if he's had yoghurt.  Last week he had some cherry tomatoes and grabbed one before I could cut it in half for him.  The seeds sprayed almost up to the ceiling as he bit into it!  :)  Unfortunately I had the job of washing the wall down afterwards.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/14/04 at 7:34 am

I think we have wood ants.We might have to call an exterminator or something. >:(

Howard

Singer Patti Smith said it best in the 1970's:

Come on now
Try and understand
The way I feel
About the Orkin Man..."

She must have had some NASTY bugs to be singing about the exterminator.  :)

Written By: Howard on 05/14/04 at 5:37 pm

If they're big and black and you are finding "sawdust" under wooden areas, then they are carpenter ants.  The ones at our old house actually ate a couple of small holes through the roof :o

They're tiny thingies.My father guesses it might be from a dirthole where ants live right outside our house. ???

Howard

Written By: Howard on 05/14/04 at 5:39 pm

Whenever you vacuum your room you should do it.

I cleaned my linens.blanket,pillow cases,and bed sheets.I also vacummed my bed. :)

Howard

Written By: Howard on 05/14/04 at 5:40 pm

Me guesses it could be hunger.   :o

Hopefully,they won't come around just like last August. :P

Howard

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/02/05 at 12:40 am

Hey Howard..

are you having any bug problems this summer?  My parents have these HUGE ants that are everywhere...but thankfully, we don't have any at our house!

Erin :)

Written By: TC1970 on 07/02/05 at 6:19 am

If I found a roach in my house I would freak!!  :o  Where there is one you can bet there are thousands.

I have a problem with bees and wasps here. I keep Raid handy and spray them like mad when I come across one.  I hate earwigs too. Nasty things!

I think for the most part bugs don't care if you house is clean or messy. The best defense is to keep any food put away.

Written By: Howard on 07/02/05 at 2:54 pm

Hey Howard..

are you having any bug problems this summer?  My parents have these HUGE ants that are everywhere...but thankfully, we don't have any at our house!

I saw an ant crawling on my bed a few weeks ago but I hope that's the end of the bugs.I'm tired of swatting yellowjackets in my room. >:(

Written By: Bobby on 07/02/05 at 2:56 pm

Ants in my kitchen.  :-\\

Written By: Howard on 07/02/05 at 3:03 pm

I think when there's a rainstorm most ants come in through the cracks of the house. :P

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/02/05 at 4:03 pm

I hate ants...especially those extra large ones! YUCK!

Written By: Howard on 07/15/05 at 4:18 pm

I saw a big wasp in my brother's room today so I took a vacuum and sucked it right up.Hopefully,the pest died :o  :P

Written By: jiminy on 07/15/05 at 4:31 pm

I saw a big wasp in my brother's room today so I took a vacuum and sucked it right up.Hopefully,the pest died :o  :P

that's your story and you're sticking to it ;)

Written By: Alchoholica on 07/15/05 at 4:32 pm

We had some Mexican Flying Roaches here recently, this was pretty.. neat i guess.

Evidently some moron bought some up here as a pet and of course they escaped and of course bred like... well roaches.

They're big, and roachy, and they fly.

I left the big one dead down in the basement as a warning to the others  ;D

Written By: jiminy on 07/15/05 at 4:35 pm

We had some Mexican Flying Roaches here recently, this was pretty.. neat i guess.

Evidently some moron bought some up here as a pet and of course they escaped and of course bred like... well roaches.

They're big, and roachy, and they fly.

I left the big one dead down in the basement as a warning to the others  ;D

you ever have crotch crickets?  ;D

Written By: Alchoholica on 07/15/05 at 5:58 pm

you ever have crotch crickets?  ;D

;D We'd call em Groin Goblins

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/16/05 at 12:19 pm

God, no!  Then you'd never want to make pastry again!!!  :o

Written By: Howard on 07/16/05 at 5:28 pm

that's your story and you're sticking to it ;)

What's that picture supposed to represent? ::)

Written By: Howard on 07/16/05 at 5:29 pm

I hope my room doesn't get any yellowjackets this year.I hate those things. :P

Written By: Howard on 07/16/06 at 7:16 am

I'm hoping I don't get any bugs in my room this year.Bugs just love the hot weather including the swarm of yellowjackets and bees that fly around our plants during the hot summer months.We also have the cicadas during the day and crickets during the evening hours. 

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/16/06 at 7:45 am

Depends on the bugs and the heat of the weather.

Written By: imadick on 07/16/06 at 7:58 am

Maybe

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/16/06 at 9:19 am

this thread was bumped one year after the last post.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/16/06 at 9:20 am

so how many bugs have been cleared since?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/16/06 at 10:34 am

last year we had these horrible ants in the house, in the summertime. But thankfully (knock on wood)...this year I haven't seen any!!

Written By: La Roche on 07/16/06 at 10:36 am

I had a great time the other day.

I went outside and saw hundreds of ants all over the paving slabs.

I spent an hour prying up 2 slabs and found a HUGE ant colony underneath.

Needless to say, I boiled some water and got some raid and had myself a fun morning.

"I Love the smell of Raid in the morning."

Written By: Paul on 07/16/06 at 12:07 pm

I'm having a bit of an ant population explosion in my garden at present...

However, I won't get busy with the kettle...as long as they stay away from the house...

They don't actually do any sort of harm at all...

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/16/06 at 12:41 pm

I'm having a bit of an ant population explosion in my garden at present...

Every so often one of my kids will come running into the house saying that they stepped in a red ant nest...

Those things are horrible, and the bites stay around for a long time!  :P

Written By: Paul on 07/16/06 at 12:43 pm

Every so often one of my kids will come running into the house saying that they stepped in a red ant nest...

Those things are horrible, and the bites stay around for a long time!  :P

Nasty!

I don't think I've ever come across anything as exotic as those in my back yard (probably no bad thing, by the sounds of it!)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/16/06 at 12:47 pm

Nasty!

I don't think I've ever come across anything as exotic as those in my back yard (probably no bad thing, by the sounds of it!)

Oh, they hurt like hell!  :o

Written By: lorac61469 on 07/16/06 at 12:57 pm

Oh, they hurt like hell!  :o
'

Are those the same as fire ants?

A couple of years ago on our way to Georgia my daughter got car sick, so my husband pulled over to the side of the road.  He got out and went to her side of the car and apparently stepped on a fire ant hill, in a matter of seconds they were all over his feet bitting him like crazy.  I've never seen that before. 

Written By: Paul on 07/16/06 at 1:00 pm

Wow!  :o

Some vicious little blighters over your way, ladies...

Ours just sort-of scamper along and, er...that's it!

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 07/17/06 at 7:31 am

'

A couple of years ago on our way to Georgia my daughter got car sick, so my husband pulled over to the side of the road.  He got out and went to her side of the car and apparently stepped on a fire ant hill, in a matter of seconds they were all over his feet bitting him like crazy.  I've never seen that before. 
When I was going to school in Texas, my roommate and I lived on the ground floor and had a fire ant nest right outside our window.....of course, we didn't find this out until they decided that they'd like to sleep in our beds and weren't too pleased that we also decided to sleep in them that night......I ended up at the doctor with over 400 bites on my arms/legs alone :o

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/17/06 at 11:58 am

'

Yes, that's them!  :P

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/17/06 at 11:59 am

When I was going to school in Texas, my roommate and I lived on the ground floor and had a fire ant nest right outside our window.....of course, we didn't find this out until they decided that they'd like to sleep in our beds and weren't too pleased that we also decided to sleep in them that night......I ended up at the doctor with over 400 bites on my arms/legs alone :o

Eek!  Poor you!!  :o :(

Written By: Howard on 07/17/06 at 5:18 pm

I was the one who did it

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/17/06 at 5:21 pm

Even with clean bedsheets, you can still have bed bugs.

Written By: Howard on 07/17/06 at 5:53 pm

Even with clean bedsheets, you can still have bed bugs.

Always vaccuum

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/18/06 at 4:03 am

Always vaccuum
I have known that to done!

Written By: karen on 07/18/06 at 6:08 am

We realised last night that the wood shavings in the doorway to the study weren't where the youngsters had spilt the rubbish from the pencil sharpener but actually ants nest residue.  Had to get the vacuum cleaner out and then put loads of powder down.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/18/06 at 1:53 pm

We realised last night that the wood shavings in the doorway to the study weren't where the youngsters had spilt the rubbish from the pencil sharpener but actually ants nest residue.  Had to get the vacuum cleaner out and then put loads of powder down.

Wood shavings?

I just hope they weren't termites!  :o

Written By: Marian on 07/18/06 at 2:52 pm

I wanted this Cockroach to die a thousand deaths! It deserved it! :P

Howard
are any cats available?I heard they're fascinated by them.roaches are supposed to make a high pitched sound audible to them.

Written By: Howard on 07/18/06 at 5:20 pm

so how many bugs have been cleared since?

None except 1 or 2 tiny ants but nothing strange yet

Written By: karen on 07/19/06 at 3:44 am

Wood shavings?

I just hope they weren't termites!  :o

definitely just ants.  I don't think we have termites in the UK

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/19/06 at 7:11 am

This hot weather will bring out the bugs!

Written By: karen on 07/19/06 at 7:37 am

We were eating outside yesterday evening and were plagued by flies.  v annoying

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/19/06 at 8:11 am

We were eating outside yesterday evening and were plagued by flies.  v annoying
Did you see many ants, or were they flying ants?

Written By: karen on 07/19/06 at 11:16 am

Did you see many ants, or were they flying ants?

we had some ants crawling around the table as well.  The flies were definitely flies, big blue bottles

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/19/06 at 11:18 am

we had some ants crawling around the table as well.  The flies were definitely flies, big blue bottles
With no flyspray to hand?

Written By: Howard on 07/19/06 at 5:08 pm

Oh definitely.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/21/06 at 5:28 am

Oh definitely.
The wasp season starts very soon

Written By: karen on 07/21/06 at 5:28 am

but apparently not many bees will be around this year

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/21/06 at 5:30 am

but apparently not many bees will be around this year
With some species almost extinct.

Written By: karen on 07/21/06 at 5:32 am

Perhaps.  Newsround didn't go into that much detail!

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/21/06 at 5:34 am

Perhaps.  Newsround didn't go into that much detail!
There must be a report on the BBC News Online

Written By: karen on 07/21/06 at 5:36 am

There must be a report on the BBC News Online

Bee story

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/21/06 at 5:38 am

Bee story
A long report, too mnay words to read on a hot.

Written By: Howard on 07/21/06 at 3:44 pm

Ants have been crawling in our house from all that heavy rain we've been having lately.My Father uses bug spray to spray the outside of the house so they don't show up.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/12/08 at 7:02 am

With the household being clean, it makes the bugs clean too.

Written By: Howard on 04/12/08 at 7:40 am

With the household being clean, it makes the bugs clean too.

But they might come back.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/12/08 at 8:32 am

But they might come back.
You are right there, for down deep in the cracks of the floorboards the insect eggs (larvi) remain, waiting for a hot day, and then!

Written By: Howard on 04/13/08 at 7:22 am

You are right there, for down deep in the cracks of the floorboards the insect eggs (larvi) remain, waiting for a hot day, and then!

and then the wasps come flying in my room during the summer.  >:(

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/13/08 at 12:05 pm

and then the wasps come flying in my room during the summer.  >:(
...from a nest in the attic?

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 04/13/08 at 12:44 pm

the title of this thread started by Howard made me cringe  :-[

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/13/08 at 1:07 pm

Should the title of this topic be changed?

Written By: Howard on 04/14/08 at 4:13 pm

I'm sorry you feel that way,Mike. :(

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/14/08 at 5:50 pm

I'm sorry you feel that way,Mike. :(
Are the bugs worse where has is?

Written By: Howard on 04/15/08 at 7:30 am

Are the bugs worse where has is?

only during the summer. ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/15/08 at 7:53 am

only during the summer. ::)
All over in the summer.

Written By: Howard on 04/15/08 at 7:32 pm

All over in the summer.

especially when they come through my window,one time last year I had 2 wasps I tried to catch and I did it and was flushed down the toilet after it was sucked through a vacuum cleaner. :P

Written By: Dominic L. on 04/15/08 at 7:47 pm

Clean hair is a more desired environment for lice than dirty hair.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/16/08 at 2:53 am

Clean hair is a more desired environment for lice than dirty hair.
A clean fresh place to lay the eggs.

Written By: Howard on 04/16/08 at 7:24 am

A clean fresh place to lay the eggs.

Not on my head?!?!  :o

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/16/08 at 8:13 am

Not on my head?!?!  :o
If you have clean hair and it is always combed then you will not have problems

Written By: Howard on 04/16/08 at 8:15 am

I always comb my hair so I shouldn't have problems.

Written By: Dominic L. on 04/18/08 at 10:04 pm

Nah, I think it's more likely if you're clean.

Also, the eggs stick pretty well, and you have to pick them out individually (my sister has had lice twice...)

Written By: Dagwood on 04/18/08 at 10:31 pm

I always comb my hair so I shouldn't have problems.

Clean or dirty doesn't matter to lice.  They are awful.  You have to pick off all the eggs, like Meat said.  Makes me itch to think of it.  Best way to avoid them is don't use other people's combs or put on their hats. 

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/19/08 at 2:29 am

Clean or dirty doesn't matter to lice.  They are awful.  You have to pick off all the eggs, like Meat said.  Makes me itch to think of it.  Best way to avoid them is don't use other people's combs or put on their hats. 
Nit picking?

Written By: Gis on 04/19/08 at 4:29 am

Dye your hair! Nits hate hair dye. My sister in law is a hairdresser and in all her years she has never seen a nit on dyed hair, something to do with them not being able to attach to the hair shaft because of the dye apparently.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/19/08 at 5:22 am

Dye your hair! Nits hate hair dye. My sister in law is a hairdresser and in all her years she has never seen a nit on dyed hair, something to do with them not being able to attach to the hair shaft because of the dye apparently.
...hence a the purple rinse?

Written By: Howard on 04/19/08 at 6:57 am

That's why I use my OWN comb and my OWN hat. ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/19/08 at 7:03 am

That's why I use my OWN comb and my OWN hat. ;)
You have to keep your hat on?

Written By: Howard on 04/19/08 at 7:20 am

You have to keep your hat on?

always, especially in the sun.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/19/08 at 7:21 am

always, especially in the sun.
...or the rain

Written By: Howard on 04/19/08 at 7:22 am

...or the rain

I'd wear a raincoat.

Written By: Gis on 04/20/08 at 9:30 am

...hence a the purple rinse?
Those old dears know more than they let on!  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/20/08 at 9:39 am

Those old dears know more than they let on!  ;D
...even Quentin Crisp?

Written By: Dagwood on 04/20/08 at 1:17 pm

I am dyed. 

Another thing I heard is they avoid tea tree oil.  Mix some in with your shampoo and that should prevent them.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/20/08 at 1:18 pm

I am dyed. 

Another thing I heard is they avoid tea tree oil.  Mix some in with your shampoo and that should prevent them.
Does drinking tea help?

Written By: Dagwood on 04/20/08 at 1:19 pm

Don't know.  I drink tea and don't have lice so maybe. ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/20/08 at 1:31 pm

Don't know.  I drink tea and don't have lice so maybe. ;)
The same here!

Written By: Gis on 04/21/08 at 12:20 pm

Me three! Maybe we've found the secret................

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/21/08 at 12:33 pm

Me three! Maybe we've found the secret................
...even the aroma of tea may cause the bugs to stay clear?

Written By: karen on 04/21/08 at 12:36 pm

I drink tea and I did get lice once.  There was a child in Elizabeth's group at nursery who kept getting them and giving them to everyone else.  I treated her three or four times for them and I got them once.

The tea tree oil shampoo works seems to prevent them.  Hedrin is good at getting rid of them.

Written By: Howard on 04/21/08 at 3:40 pm

I hate when every hot summer,wasps enter my room via window and I wind up using bug spray to kill them. :P

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/21/08 at 3:43 pm

I hate when every hot summer,wasps enter my room via window and I wind up using bug spray to kill them. :P
close the window.

Written By: Howard on 04/21/08 at 4:04 pm

close the window.

I do but they come in anyway.  ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/21/08 at 4:57 pm

I do but they come in anyway.  ::)
Through the front door?

Written By: Howard on 04/22/08 at 6:21 am

Through the front door?

in my window.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/22/08 at 6:34 am

in my window.
Do net curtains at the window, for that will stop anything flying in.

Written By: Howard on 04/22/08 at 12:04 pm

Do net curtains at the window, for that will stop anything flying in.

I haven't thought of that yet.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/22/08 at 12:13 pm

I haven't thought of that yet.
The window can be open, the breeze still flows through, there you are!

Written By: Howard on 04/22/08 at 1:38 pm

The window can be open, the breeze still flows through, there you are!

I should always close my window.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/22/08 at 3:03 pm

I should always close my window.
Purchase an electric fan?

Written By: Howard on 04/22/08 at 10:20 pm

Purchase an electric fan?

I have one somewhere.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/23/08 at 5:53 am

I have one somewhere.
...you had it last summer?

Written By: Howard on 04/23/08 at 6:08 am

...you had it last summer?

Yes and it was very hot that day.  :P

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/23/08 at 6:10 am

Yes and it was very hot that day.  :P
...only one hot day last summer?

The same over here too.

Written By: Howard on 04/23/08 at 6:11 am

...only one hot day last summer?

The same over here too.

August was pretty hot.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/23/08 at 6:26 am

August was pretty hot.
Hot and wet, which makes less insects fly around.

Written By: Howard on 04/23/08 at 4:07 pm

Hot and wet, which makes less insects fly around.

But more to come into my house such as ants. :P

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/24/08 at 8:10 am

But more to come into my house such as ants. :P
Those ants could be based within the bounds of your house, and it is the heat that brings them out.

Written By: Howard on 04/24/08 at 12:55 pm

Those ants could be based within the bounds of your house, and it is the heat that brings them out.

and that's why they come into my house.  ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/24/08 at 12:56 pm

and that's why they come into my house.  ::)
The ants are already there, under the floorboards, etc.

Written By: Howard on 04/24/08 at 1:17 pm

The ants are already there, under the floorboards, etc.

then I wind up having to squash them and throw them into the toilet.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/24/08 at 1:20 pm

then I wind up having to squash them and throw them into the toilet.
Just lead a trail of honey and the ants will follow it anywhere.

Written By: Howard on 04/24/08 at 1:27 pm

Just lead a trail of honey and the ants will follow it anywhere.

But not in my house,maybe outside.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/24/08 at 3:33 pm

But not in my house,maybe outside.
...and they have found a way in?

Written By: Howard on 04/25/08 at 7:05 am

...and they have found a way in?

Bug Spray.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/26/08 at 4:16 pm

Bug Spray.
Starve them out?

Written By: Howard on 04/27/08 at 6:01 am

Starve them out?

With food?

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/27/08 at 6:35 am

With food?
...without food.

Written By: Howard on 04/27/08 at 5:03 pm

...without food.

But food attracts them.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/28/08 at 3:16 am

But food attracts them.
If there is no food available, then the bugs will go somewhere else.

Written By: Howard on 04/28/08 at 6:07 am

If there is no food available, then the bugs will go somewhere else.

under my bed.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/28/08 at 8:27 am

under my bed.
No crumbs there then?

Written By: Howard on 04/28/08 at 3:19 pm

No crumbs there then?

No,no crumbs.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/29/08 at 4:40 am

No,no crumbs.
Proving the place is clean.

Written By: Howard on 04/29/08 at 6:48 am

Proving the place is clean.

and I vacuumed the other day.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/29/08 at 7:09 am

and I vacuumed the other day.
Which other day?

Written By: Howard on 04/29/08 at 7:34 am

Which other day?

I think it was last week.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/29/08 at 1:26 pm

I think it was last week.
Time to vacuum again?

Written By: Howard on 04/30/08 at 7:11 am

Time to vacuum again?

tomorrow.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/30/08 at 8:42 am

tomorrow.
Will it take long?

Written By: Howard on 04/30/08 at 10:24 pm

Will it take long?

Just a couple of minutes.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/01/08 at 2:44 am

Just a couple of minutes.
A small room, with lots of bugs?

Written By: Howard on 05/01/08 at 3:47 pm

A small room, with lots of bugs?

No bugs just dirt.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/01/08 at 4:12 pm

No bugs just dirt.
dirt = dust ?

Written By: Shacks Train on 05/21/08 at 1:11 am

notes on "Roaches" if your in an apartment !!!
Caulk all base boards with "Mono" they hate this & won't try to chew trough it!
Seal off your kitchen vent with the Mono & drop "Boric Acid" around your doors(entrance/balcony)
If your in a house you can use an "oxygen Bomb" , but Plan to go some where else for 48 hours!
Winter has an advantage against them as they might survive radiation , but have No Defence against cold!
So if you can shut off your water & bleed the water pipes...you just shut off the heat - Crack a window-s & go away for a week.No Pesticides involved!.If using any kind of pesticides beware of pets! especially cats!
Their resilient as they can become accustom to the same poison!
If you clean like a bugger it won't make a diff as once you have them they like to stay put!.Its their home now & you are the invader!Cockroaches can eat electrical wire plastic & many things we wouldn't concider food!
http://ezinearticles.com/?How-to-Get-Rid-of-Cockroaches&id=909626
If all else fails.Burn Down The House! ;D

Written By: Howard on 05/21/08 at 6:34 am

I'm sure it does,unless you use a powerful bug spray.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/22/08 at 9:55 am

I'm sure it does,unless you use a powerful bug spray.
How powerful?

Written By: Howard on 05/22/08 at 2:53 pm

How powerful?

enough to really kill those motherfudgers! >:( :P

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/22/08 at 4:58 pm

enough to really kill those motherfudgers! >:( :P
If not dead, they can crawl out?

Written By: Howard on 05/23/08 at 6:30 am

If not dead, they can crawl out?

Yes they could.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/23/08 at 1:42 pm

Yes they could.
...and you have to start all over again.

Written By: Howard on 05/24/08 at 6:51 am

...and you have to start all over again.

and that's what I hate about cleaning. ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/25/08 at 7:30 am

and that's what I hate about cleaning. ::)
...but it still has to be done?

Written By: Howard on 05/26/08 at 6:00 am

...but it still has to be done?

Yes Of Course.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/27/08 at 11:54 am

Yes Of Course.
Regularly!

Written By: Howard on 11/28/13 at 7:47 am

Yes It does and if you vacuum more often you would have less of it.

Written By: amjikloviet on 11/29/13 at 6:13 pm

Oh eww...I really detest cockroaches. I'm so thankful I live in place without any bugs. But yes, cleanliness does help to keep them away, especially cockroaches. It's a good idea to make sure there are no food crumbs anywhere, and no trash or garbage. 

Written By: Howard on 11/30/13 at 4:36 pm

Just last week I saw a small spider downstairs in my basement and then later on I saw the same spider, it was in my kitchen.  :o

Written By: karen on 12/01/13 at 10:39 am

Just last week I saw a small spider downstairs in my basement and then later on I saw the same spider, it was in my kitchen.  :o

Did it have a tattoo or something?

Written By: Dagwood on 12/01/13 at 2:50 pm

;D

Maybe it introduced itself to Howard. :D

Written By: Howard on 12/01/13 at 4:42 pm

How the hell did it crawl from downstairs to the upstairs, I'll never know.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 10/12/16 at 2:31 pm

http://www.livescience.com/images/i/000/069/806/original/Camel-Cricket-Lauren-Nichols_YourWildlifeOrg.jpg?interpolation=lanczos-none&downsize=*:1000

Has anyone ever seen a camel cricket lately?  :o

Written By: 80sfan on 10/12/16 at 2:36 pm

http://www.livescience.com/images/i/000/069/806/original/Camel-Cricket-Lauren-Nichols_YourWildlifeOrg.jpg?interpolation=lanczos-none&downsize=*:1000

Oh. My. God.  :o  :o

Written By: Howard on 10/12/16 at 3:01 pm

Oh. My. God.  :o  :o

These bugs can live in the basement and under crevices so you have to make sure you clean and vacuum a lot.

Written By: violet_shy on 10/12/16 at 3:09 pm

Never seen those before. I don't want them in here!!!...I want to clean again.

Written By: Howard on 10/12/16 at 3:21 pm

Never seen those before. I don't want them in here!!!...I want to clean again.

You have to catch them or else they will populate.

Written By: meesa on 10/12/16 at 3:36 pm

They are called cave crickets in my neck of the woods. They like damp places, so that is why you find them in basements or in bathrooms around drains etc. They can be very scary when you first see them and they jump all over the place. My boss had them for a while in her bathroom next to the bathtub. she put sticky traps down and stayed with it for a couple of weeks and then they were gone. Nasty little things.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/13/16 at 2:53 am

Anyone mention bed bugs yet?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/13/16 at 10:33 am

Anyone mention bed bugs yet?

I don't think I have a lot of bed bugs in my room. I'm rather anxious when I sleep.

Written By: Howard on 10/13/16 at 3:36 pm

They are called cave crickets in my neck of the woods. They like damp places, so that is why you find them in basements or in bathrooms around drains etc. They can be very scary when you first see them and they jump all over the place. My boss had them for a while in her bathroom next to the bathtub. she put sticky traps down and stayed with it for a couple of weeks and then they were gone. Nasty little things.

Meesa, How come I've never seen them before? ???

Written By: Howard on 10/13/16 at 3:36 pm

I don't think I have a lot of bed bugs in my room. I'm rather anxious when I sleep.

I try to vacuum my bed once a month.

Written By: Starlighter on 10/24/16 at 8:32 pm

I just saw this post and I apologize if this has already been suggested, I didn't read all the replies.

For wasps if you take a paper bag, ball it up to make it look like a wasp's nest, and then hang it up it will deter the wasps.  Wasps are territorial so if they think there are already wasps in the area they won't come around.  I read this online, tried it, and haven't had wasps since.

Written By: Howard on 07/17/18 at 6:51 am

These past couple of weeks, we been getting mice and we don't know if it has been 1 mouse or many mice but this one mouse has been going from under the dishwasher to under the stove and vice versa every time one of us turn on the kitchen light and just yesterday My Mother found a dead mouse under the computer chair and just this morning I saw a dead mouse that got stuck on the sticky glue we have been using for a few days now, so all in all I think if you clean your house often it will most likely lead to less bugs.

Written By: nally on 08/04/18 at 4:16 pm

I try to vacuum my bed once a month.

I always vacuum in my room at least once every week.

Written By: Howard on 08/05/18 at 2:55 pm

I always vacuum in my room at least once every week.

Just yesterday I vacuumed under my bed and got what was on the carpet.

Check for new replies or respond here...