inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ads... yeah, we hates 'em

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/11/04 at 4:49 pm

but time to make a little payola for the server bills... I'm hoping it's not too obtrusive.  Though I could certainly make them bigger if people like >grin<

They work by tracking when people click on them, but if you click on tons of them, it hurts (they figure I'm trying to inflate my hit counts artificially)... if everyone clicked on one or two everyday (not dozens), it certainly wouldn't hurt though. 

They are keyword triggered (which means, they should have something to do with the message you're reading, though not always).  I think most of them are based on the site theme.  So they might actually advertise things you're interested in.

Subject: Re: Ads... yeah, we hates 'em

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/12/04 at 9:19 am

Maybe I'm blind, but I haven't seen one ???

to the right of the site logo at the top of every screen.  I'm pretty sure they are there.  Maybe they blend in too much, though I was trying to avoid the disaster most websites look like (with ads everywhere)

Written By: rubixgirl on 05/12/04 at 11:32 am

Well they are unobtrusive, but I do see them. Much better than pop ups.

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/12/04 at 11:52 am

Well they are unobtrusive, but I do see them. Much better than pop ups.

I'll second that. 

The ads I keep seeing are for Moxie due to my moto I guess.  Kind of funny.  Expensive through the web though, glad I can buy it in the store where I live.

Written By: rubixgirl on 05/12/04 at 1:06 pm

I'll second that. 

The ads I keep seeing are for Moxie due to my moto I guess.  Kind of funny.  Expensive through the web though, glad I can buy it in the store where I live.

What is Moxie?

Written By: Howard on 05/12/04 at 8:50 pm

Is there any way you can get rid of those ads up there or are they permanent? ???

Howard

Written By: Bobby on 05/13/04 at 5:01 am

Is there any way you can get rid of those ads up there or are they permanent? ???

I think Chucky wants them up there, Howard.  :)

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/13/04 at 2:40 pm

I think Chucky wants them up there, Howard.  :)

yeah I want them there... I need them to help pay for the server costs, and that's a recurring fee every month to the tune of a few hundred dollars.  I don't think the ads on this site will cover those costs, but they'll help with it.  Luckily, the ads on my other sites help to pick up the slack from this one >grin<

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/13/04 at 2:47 pm

I noticed that too. I also noticed "penguin gear" and "Penguin mints" That cracks me up.

Cat

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/13/04 at 4:36 pm

I noticed that too. I also noticed "penguin gear" and "Penguin mints" That cracks me up.

yeah, you would think they would buy a candy keyword, not a penguin one.  Pages with penguins on them don't instantly lead people to think candy.

I was disappointed to find out they were mints. I love the chocolate biscuits from the UK.  I know someone imports them because I've had them from a vending machine when I used to work in Cambridge, MA.  I think I began using penguins for the ranking system because of them.

Written By: Fred on 05/13/04 at 6:05 pm

What is Moxie?

Chucky, what is Moxie?

Written By: Bobby on 05/13/04 at 6:44 pm

Yeah and in Britain we have 'Penguin' chocolate biscuits. Advertise those as well.  :)

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/13/04 at 7:45 pm

Chucky, what is Moxie?

the first cola... older than Coke and Pepsi, and once more popular than both as well. It's still availble in New England

Written By: Howard on 05/13/04 at 9:36 pm

the first cola... older than Coke and Pepsi, and once more popular than both as well. It's still availble in New England

Would Moxie be available in New York stores? ???

Howard

Written By: Howard on 05/13/04 at 9:37 pm

And what is In Bru? ???

Howard

Written By: karen on 05/14/04 at 4:34 am

And what is In Bru? ???

Howard

Perhaps you mean Irn Bru?  It's a fizzy fruit flavoured drink.  "Made in Scotland from girders" the ads used to say.

Written By: Bobby on 05/14/04 at 5:03 am

Perhaps you mean Irn Bru?  It's a fizzy fruit flavoured drink.  "Made in Scotland from girders" the ads used to say.

Yeah. I like that stuff. Do you remember those adverts where people were doing normal things but didn't know their own strength and they were accidentally breaking stuff? It was indicating that Irn Bru makes you strong and puts hair on your chest, so to speak.  :)

Written By: Howard on 05/14/04 at 5:43 pm

Chucky must be having a lot of Penguin ads. ;)

Howard

Written By: AssKicker on 05/15/04 at 12:45 am

Aurgh... How do you manage to drink Irn-Bru? I thought it was only Weegies who have been raised on a diet of chips, battered pizza and deep-fried Mars bars who physically could drink it?

Written By: Dominic L. on 09/30/05 at 6:44 pm

Aurgh... How do you manage to drink Irn-Bru? I thought it was only Weegies who have been raised on a diet of chips, battered pizza and deep-fried Mars bars who physically could drink it?

it's gross... it's like... sour bubble gum

Check for new replies or respond here...