inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: TV/Cable Networks That Went Down Hill The Most

Written By: woops on 05/11/04 at 9:07 pm

My choices:  MTV, VH1, & MTV2.

Subject: Re: TV/Cable Networks That Went Down Hill The Most

Written By: nally on 05/12/04 at 12:30 pm

I'm torn between MTV, MTV2, Nickelodeon, and Cartoon Network. However, it says we can vote for up to 3 of them; hence I haven't voted yet.

Written By: Dagwood on 05/12/04 at 7:29 pm

MTV, MTV2 and the Cartoon Network.

Written By: Marian on 05/12/04 at 8:17 pm

:(I haven't votd yet but i want A&E to show Biography more often.Cheers!

Written By: nally on 06/28/04 at 11:32 am

I think Game Show Network (now known by its initials, GSN) has gone downhill lately. I remember when we first got digital cable in 2001, it was one of our favorite channels; it showed all the old game shows from way back when. In 2002 it started launching original shows like "Russian Roulette" and "Lingo" and "WinTuition" which were kinda fun, and "Friend or Foe" and "Whammy" which my family and I really don't care for. Some time in the past year the "Lingo" show got kinda dumb, with dumb contestants and the unattractive co-host Stacey :P , so we quit watching it. Also, in mid-March, the network officially became known by its initials ("GSN, the network for Games") and dropped some of the good shows. Now it airs a lot of reality-based programs like "The Mole" and "Kenny vs. Spenny"; hence, I would say it's gone downhill quite a bit in the past few months. On the plus side, we enjoy watching "Weakest Link" and "Greed."

Written By: pennsygirl on 06/28/04 at 12:47 pm

I chose MTV, for obvious reasons and also VH1, which runs the same shows over and over and over....again.

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 06/28/04 at 3:10 pm

MTV, WB & UPN

But really, all of them pretty much suck, except the Food Network & Fox when "24" is on. :P

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/28/04 at 7:35 pm

MTV...for falling the farthest.
VH1 for falling second farthest
Cartoon Network....no fun anymore!
ALSO....I don't believe UPN belongs in here since, IMHO, they have ALWAYS sucked :P

Written By: nally on 06/28/04 at 11:06 pm

MTV, for obvious reasons.  Isn't it supposed to be music television?  ::)

Yeah, I thought that's what the acronym stood for. ::) Is it "Messed-up Television" now?

GSN (formerly Game Show Network), besides the fact that we no longer get this, they have come up with some of the stupidest "new" game shows.  Can someone explain what's so different about "Cram" except the fact that they're all sleep-deprived?

As I said in my earlier post, they've been airing lots of reality-based shows, which i find stupid (for lack of a better word).

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/29/04 at 10:17 am

I forgot that UPN shouldn't be on here either, as they've also always sucked!

Written By: nally on 08/03/04 at 10:59 am

I forgot that UPN shouldn't be on here either, as they've also always sucked!

I never really watch it, mostly because I don't care for what they've aired over the past ten years.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 08/03/04 at 12:56 pm

MTV

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/03/04 at 1:44 pm

I never really watch it, mostly because I don't care for what they've aired over the past ten years.
yep trust me, it's a waste of time :P

Written By: Mangoo on 08/03/04 at 6:25 pm

MTV and VH1 went down the most in the 80s they ruled "because they played just videos"Cartoon Network too they just show these stupid  current cartoons with that pathetic animation.I remeber saying home on Saturdays watching all the old school cartoons Superfriends,Thundarr the Barbarian,Herculoids etc.Hopefully they can make an "Old school Cartoon Network".

Written By: Billy Florio on 08/04/04 at 2:49 am

I cant in honesty vote Cartoon Network as downhill because of the brilliantly hillarious Adult Swim. 

I voted for the obvious choices of MTV and VH1, as well as the not so obvious A&E......that channel has become completely useless. 

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/04/04 at 7:21 am

The Lifetime Channel

Back in 1985 it was this cool channel that ran medical-procedure shows where they'd slice someone up and let you watch on TV.

Now it is basically The Tampon Channel, subsidiary of The PMS Network.   :-\\

I mean, how many different movies can they show where the woman is wronged, cheated on, murdered, mugged, or gets the disease-of-the-week?  And I think they've worn the sprockets off of those Aileen Wuornos flicks.  ;D

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/04/04 at 7:25 am

MTV and VH1 went down the most in the 80s they ruled "because they played just videos"Cartoon Network too they just show these stupid  current cartoons with that pathetic animation.I remeber saying home on Saturdays watching all the old school cartoons Superfriends,Thundarr the Barbarian,Herculoids etc.Hopefully they can make an "Old school Cartoon Network".

Yeah, MTV sure has gone downhill.  Although the hill was never all that high.

In the beginning, it was racist though and would never show black artists.  That sucked.  Then they discovered that blacks spend money too, and they went the completely OPPOSITE way and the station was nothing but Rap Crap, "Yo MTV Rocks" etc.

Now it is 100% crap of various races and creeds and stupid unreality shows.

Let's put the "M" back into "MTV". 

Written By: Harmonica on 08/04/04 at 1:26 pm

My Vote definitely goes to Nickelodeon.  What happened to Nickelodeon?  I mean seriously in every aspect. The little kid section goes from great shows like David the Gnombe, Noozles, Maya The Bee, and The Little Bits shows that taught about Values and Morality, without treating little kids like they're retarded. Now a days all the little kid shows are about learning that Gold is a darker shade of yellow and saying "wow......." after learning every stinking fact. The Cartoons have gone down hill so much it's not even funny, it's not just Nickelodeon either, cartoons in general have gone downhill. It just goes to show that Americans don't know how to do cartoons. You want good cartoons watch U.K,Denmark, and Japanese.  The Fairly Odd Parents? Yuck. Jimmy Nuetron....excuse me..Stoooooopid.

How about the other shows?  Whatever happened to Are you Afraid of the Dark, Hey Dude, Pete and Pete, good shows that were entertaining and fun to watch? What are they replaced by? Dumb shows that's for sure.

Written By: gemini61 on 08/04/04 at 5:02 pm

MTV (of course), VH1, and Disney Channel. What happened to the Disney cartoons? Where's Mickey Mouse? :(

Written By: woops on 08/04/04 at 11:14 pm

MTV (of course), VH1, and Disney Channel. What happened to the Disney cartoons? Where's Mickey Mouse? :(

Unfortuantely, all are canned & only seen on DVD.

"House of Mouse", which features classic charcters, is fun to watch, but today it was replaced with the obnoxious "Proud Family" on it's time slot.  :P

And I also  haven't seen any classic  Looney Tunes/Warner Bros. cartoon on Cartoon Network.

I feel sorry for today's kids for missing out on the classics.  :(

An end of an era. (Which I hope not!!!)

Written By: Harmonica on 08/05/04 at 12:18 am

Unfortuantely, all are canned & only seen on DVD.

"House of Mouse", which features classic charcters, is fun to watch, but today it was replaced with the obnoxious "Proud Family" on it's time slot.  :P

And I also  haven't seen any classic  Looney Tunes/Warner Bros. cartoon on Cartoon Network.

I feel sorry for today's kids for missing out on the classics.   :(

An end of an era. (Which I hope not!!!)

TV is ran by too many sex craved, pot smoking, heartless bimbos....I miss the days when it was ran by the greedy fatasses.

Written By: nally on 08/05/04 at 11:21 am

Well, you can see the Disney cartoons on 'Toon Disney', a cable network that airs Disney cartoons. If you don't get that channel, you're out of luck.

Written By: gemini61 on 08/05/04 at 12:13 pm

Well, you can see the Disney cartoons on 'Toon Disney', a cable network that airs Disney cartoons. If you don't get that channel, you're out of luck.

Unfortunately, we don't get that channel  :(

Written By: nally on 08/06/04 at 2:54 pm

Unfortunately, we don't get that channel  :(

Too bad. :( I don't get it on my TV, but we do get it on our main TV; that's because it has digital cable. I used to have it before April 22nd, when our channel lineup changed.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/25/06 at 2:44 pm

I'm torn between MTV, MTV2, Nickelodeon, and Cartoon Network. However, it says we can vote for up to 3 of them; hence I haven't voted yet.

I remember back in 1997, when I first watched Cartoon Network.  I hated it then, but at least they didn't play JapCrap 24/7.

Written By: BentEars on 01/25/06 at 4:11 pm

Nickelodeon mtv cartoon network i miss all those old shows.  :(

Written By: Howard on 01/25/06 at 4:27 pm

UPN Channel 9

Written By: bbigd04 on 01/25/06 at 4:29 pm

MTV, NBC, and Nick

Written By: nally on 01/26/06 at 10:17 pm

I remember back in 1997, when I first watched Cartoon Network.  I hated it then, but at least they didn't play JapCrap 24/7.

I think it was around then when I watched it for the first time as well. It was launched in the mid-90's, if I remember correctly.

Right now they still have Tom and Jerry, but that gets old fast. ::)

Written By: whistledog on 01/26/06 at 11:06 pm

One we have in Canada called Prime.  It's a Toronto based channel that shows classic sitcoms throughout the day.  It's not so bad, except that since the channel debuted in the early 00's, it's been mostly M*A*S*H, Golden Girls and All in the Family.  I've probably seen every single episode of each show atleast 20 times each ;D

They used to show "Who's the Boss" and "Taxi", but took them off in favour of more "All in the Family" episodes  >:(

On a plus side though, they've recently started airng "Newhart" and "Welcome Back, Kotter", but I swear, if they take those away for more All in the Family, I'm gonna travel to the Prime Network Building in Toronto and kick some serious ass LOL

Written By: nally on 02/02/06 at 9:58 am

[quote author=whis

Written By: Howard on 02/02/06 at 3:06 pm

MTV
VH1

Written By: nally on 03/16/06 at 6:03 pm

MTV
VH1

Agreed. ;)

Written By: Morton on 03/16/06 at 6:06 pm

MTV. The only time you see music videos nowadays is if a programme has finished before it's scheduled to (say, at 5:52). They'll play a music video before the break to kill 3 minutes or so. Or, TRL show half music-videos, but even that's mostly interviews now.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/16/06 at 6:56 pm

MTV, MTV2, and VH1.

What the f*ck happened to airing music videos?  If you're not going to do what is in your channel name, then you shouldn't be a channel anymore.  Bye-bye.  Let the stupid teenagers of the world get their stupid teenager fix watching the OC and One Tree Hill.

All I say is thank God for digital cable, because between MTV Hits and VH1 Classic, I can actually watch music videos 24 hours a day if I want.  Gee, novel concept!

Written By: Apricot on 03/16/06 at 7:07 pm

Children's Networks have slowly circled the drain for years. Nickeleodeon and Cartoon Network, that's you.

Fox still has quality programming, but it has a lot of filler and worthless shows and stuff.

Written By: Howard on 03/17/06 at 3:02 pm

Agreed. ;)

I'm tired of those reality shows like Next,Real World,Pimp My Ride and stuff. ::)

Written By: danootaandme on 03/17/06 at 3:36 pm

I remember life before cable.  Then cable came in and the selling point was, you paid to watch cable stations because they didn't have
commercials.  That was the selling point.  I still don't have cable, when I look at what I would be watching if I had cable, 99% of the time
there isn't anything I want to see, the other 1% I can catch on DVD, without the commercials.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 03/17/06 at 5:45 pm

I remember life before 500 channels, lol... but not before cable.

I remember having up to 26 channels (given a few wouldn't actually come in). But, again, it was so much more simpler and offered more quality programming. Back then you wished you had more selections - now you wish you had less, because even with all those selections, there's more filler than ever. If they can't make quality TV then don't dish us a lofty bill for owning 500 channels worth of crap!

Oh, by the way, I chose MTV (the obvious choice), CBS (as it could use a lift), and the other I can't recall. All are worthy of a revamp - but from looking at the choices we could make - MTV is the big disappointment here.

Check for new replies or respond here...