inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Graduation time!

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/13/04 at 2:38 pm

I finished my certificate in Graphic Design last week.  No graduation ceremony for me, but that's fine.

My mom finished her Associates in Early Childhood development.  It's her third degree!  She has an Associates and a Bachelor's in Accounting as well.

I can't find any decent graduation dolls though... I guess they don't make Ziggy's anymore.

Anyone else graduating this year?

Subject: Re: Graduation time!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/13/04 at 2:52 pm

I graduated in 1996 with my B.A. in History and Early Childhood Education (K-6). I went on to grad school right away. I need to complete my masters. At the time it was burn-out but now it is just pure laziness.  :-[ One of these years I may actually finish it.

Cat

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/13/04 at 4:38 pm

I should probably mention I have a Bachelor of Sciene in Computer Science from 1995.  I'm thinking about a masters in Human Factors in Design, but not sure if I'll do it.

Written By: nally on 05/13/04 at 4:54 pm

I should probably mention I have a Bachelor of Sciene in Computer Science from 1995.  I'm thinking about a masters in Human Factors in Design, but not sure if I'll do it.

Speaking of Computer Science, I'm currently majoring in that, but this semester I seem to be having my doubts; my classes are veeeeeery tough right now. So last week I talked with a career counselor about it and he gave me a career interests test to look at; I will go back to see him when finals are over.

Written By: oddxsocks on 05/13/04 at 5:21 pm

i'm only a sophomore in high school, and just THIS YEAR i decided i didn't want to become a web designer (after about five years) and next year i have to start looking for colleges and i have no idea what i want to be/major in.  in conclusion, i am screwed. ::)

Written By: Fred on 05/13/04 at 6:03 pm

Still in School.

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/13/04 at 6:15 pm

i'm only a sophomore in high school, and just THIS YEAR i decided i didn't want to become a web designer (after about five years) and next year i have to start looking for colleges and i have no idea what i want to be/major in.  in conclusion, i am screwed. ::)

it depends on what you want to do.... if you like just the design aspect, you want to focus on graphic design (which covers that aspect).  If you like the coding aspect, how you actually build the sites, you want a computer science program.  If you're thinking the design part, you should be taking art classes or building a lot of sites to create a portfolio, since most graphic design programs require one when you're applying.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/13/04 at 6:18 pm

Completed Bachelors Degree  :)

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 05/14/04 at 8:07 am

Never completed High School

Either I'm the only one that's happy to admit it, I dunno.... ???  Left school halfway through sub-senior, as I simply wasn't putting in the required effort, and it showed.

My lack of finishing high school has never bothered me though, in retrospect I was lucky to get a job when there were still some available, and have worked my way up through the ranks ever since.

Mind you, to anyone still in school, with the current employment climate, it is not a course of action I would recommend now  :(

Written By: karen on 05/14/04 at 10:40 am

If you fancy some foreign travel my department is just starting a new Human Factors in Design Masters course this October.  For many years we have run a very succesful MSc. Ergonomics course.

Here is the link

http://www.lboro.ac.uk/departments/hu/prospect/erp.html

The web page is still under development but should give you enough info.

Written By: karen on 05/14/04 at 10:42 am

I have an MSc in surface science and technology, graduating in 1997.  Absolutely nothing to do with the job I now do but was relevant at the time.

Written By: mr.smith s on 05/14/04 at 10:59 am

I just finished 4 years @ York University for visual arts. and am thinking of doing my masters.

Written By: Jessica on 05/14/04 at 11:23 am

After screwing up all through high school, I managed to graduate six months later than I was supposed to. I've done the community college thing, but never really decided what I wanted to do, so I gave up on that. I did receive a certificate (wow man) in Medical Insurance Billing and am planning to start Pharmacy Technician training in June.

Written By: Saider E. on 05/14/04 at 12:46 pm

1 more week of High School!!! Class of 2004!!!

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/14/04 at 2:31 pm

If you fancy some foreign travel my department is just starting a new Human Factors in Design Masters course this October.  For many years we have run a very succesful MSc. Ergonomics course.

Here is the link

http://www.lboro.ac.uk/departments/hu/prospect/erp.html

The web page is still under development but should give you enough info.

probably not a possibility for me, but I have always wanted to visit England... I'm going to Bermuda in September, so at least I'm traveling to a part of it I suppose.

Written By: Billy Florio on 05/14/04 at 4:25 pm

In the fall I'll be a Junior in College...and by Spring, I will have completed my major, and be one class away from completeing my minor.....

so what am I? lol

Written By: nally on 07/08/05 at 11:56 pm

I kinda wish I had posted this earlier, but...

Speaking of Computer Science, I'm currently majoring in that, but this semester I seem to be having my doubts; my classes are veeeeeery tough right now. So last week I talked with a career counselor about it and he gave me a career interests test to look at; I will go back to see him when finals are over.

After a year of working with the career counselor to help decide on career options, the ones I ended up narrowing it down to were computer-related, but I had my share of struggles with Comp Sci. Before the spring semester started, I looked into possibly becoming a math major, but after struggling with a physics course, I decided I didn't wanna go that way either. So I decided on liberal studies; I just want to complete a degree.

So it looks like I'm gonna be in school at least a couple more years. I've already been in college for seven years.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/09/05 at 4:45 am

Other: I am doing a Home correspondence course for the Open University.

Written By: TC1970 on 07/09/05 at 5:46 am

I graduated HS and went to barber college I got my certificate for barbering. ;)

Written By: Bobby on 07/09/05 at 12:22 pm

Completed further education at school and did A' levels. Didn't get to college.

Modified: I guess I am 'graduated high school' so I'll put that.  :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/09/05 at 10:14 pm

I have an associates degree but I am planning on going back to college when Vaughn starts school (in 2 years)....to get a degree in photography!

Erin :)

Written By: Apricot on 07/09/05 at 10:31 pm

Just breaking into high school.. this will be my second year of high school, 10th Grade.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/10/05 at 9:36 am

Graduated High School awhile back.

Written By: Billy Florio on 07/10/05 at 3:48 pm

In the fall I'll be a Junior in College...and by Spring, I will have completed my major, and be one class away from completeing my minor.....

so what am I? lol

wow, that was a year ago. 

Now in the fall Ill be a senior and Ive completed one major and am in the middle of completing another

Written By: whistledog on 10/21/06 at 6:23 pm

I finished my certificate in Graphic Design last week.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/21/06 at 6:29 pm

I graduated with my B.B.A. in Marketing last December.

Written By: deadrockstar on 10/21/06 at 11:05 pm

I'll graduate with my A.A.S. in Culinary Arts in December of 2009.

Written By: nally on 10/21/06 at 11:53 pm

I think I'll get my B.A. in Liberal Studies (the General Option) either at the end of next year or by 2008. Heck, I'll be lucky if I get it by the time my ten-year HS reunion rolls around (which will be in '08!). :o

Written By: danootaandme on 10/22/06 at 6:19 am

I did a year and a half at UMass Boston, then a paralegal cert at Bunker Hill Community College, the a 4 year apprenticeship with Heavy Equipment Operators.  If I hit the lottery I would be a student for the rest of my life, and love it.

Written By: La Roche on 10/22/06 at 10:47 am

Much like ^ I enjoy the learning aspect of higher education. What I don't enjoy is the obnoxious structure, crippling financial aspects and overall "We're in college, let's be 12 years old again!" attitude.
I've got 40 some credits, son enough I figure I'll get my associates degree, probably just do the whole 6 credits a semester thing, Spring, Summer & Fall and then be done with it.

As I've previously mentioned, after much deliberation I decided a career in law enforcement would suit me, for that one is required to have an associates degree, but no more.

The police force will often pay for (or a percentage of) any number of college courses you may decide would be useful to take.

One day I'd like my degree but it really isn't of that much importance to me, more just another goal to accomplish.  :)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 10/22/06 at 10:55 am

One day I'd like my degree but it really isn't of that much importance to me, more just another goal to accomplish.  :)

The piece of paper isn't what is important...what is more important is what that paper represents within you.

/confucius

Written By: La Roche on 10/22/06 at 10:57 am

The piece of paper isn't what is important...what is more important is what that paper represents within you.

/confucius

Mmhmm, I'd agree with that.

I'm not particularly bothered that I don't have the degree, I know I'm smart enough to get it (I carry a 3.7 GPA) but It's just not something I'm all that concerned about. If I do it, it's on my terms and my time.  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...