inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Riddles!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/27/04 at 1:57 pm

This is an unusual paragraph. I'm curious how quickly you can find out what is so unusual about it? It looks so plain you would think nothing was wrong with it! In fact, nothing is wrong with it! It is unusual though. Study it, and think about it, but you still may not find anything odd. But if you work at it a bit, you might find out! Try to do so without any coaching!

Subject: Re: Riddles!

Written By: Bobo on 05/27/04 at 2:43 pm

The paragraph contains no letter E's, as far as I can see...

Is that right?

Written By: Ripp on 05/27/04 at 3:21 pm

Is that right?

Yeah!

That's good... :D

I got another one:

I glow yet I don't show any light.
What am I?

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/27/04 at 3:31 pm

Is that right?
Correct, Bobo ;)

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/27/04 at 4:09 pm

A glow worm? :-\\

Yeah!

That's good... :D

I got another one:

I glow yet I don't show any light.
What am I?

Written By: AL-B on 05/27/04 at 5:44 pm

OK, what do cows have four of that women only have two of?

Written By: Howard on 05/27/04 at 6:36 pm

OK, what do cows have four of that women only have two of?

um...UTTERS? ;D ;D

Howard

Written By: AL-B on 05/27/04 at 7:16 pm

um...UTTERS? ;D ;D

Howard
No...LEGS!!!

Written By: AL-B on 05/27/04 at 7:17 pm

OK...what's long and hard and full of seamen?

Written By: gumbypiz on 05/27/04 at 7:25 pm

OK...what's long and hard and full of seamen?

Hmm, a navy destroyer or aircraft carrier? ;)

OK, I've got one...I've got a red house built with red bricks, a blue house built with blue bricks, a brown house made with brown bricks, what color bricks is my greenhouse built out of?

Written By: AL-B on 05/27/04 at 7:28 pm

Hmm, a navy destroyer or aircraft carrier? ;)
Actually it's a submarine (but of course you already knew that). :)

OK, I've got one...I've got a red house built with red bricks, a blue house built with blue bricks, a brown house made with brown bricks, what color bricks is my greenhouse built out of?
There are no bricks in a greenhouse, it's made of glass!

Written By: AssKicker on 05/28/04 at 12:34 am

Post,
Most,
Host,
Post,
Most,
Host,
Post,
Most,
Host,
Post,
Most,
Host.

Now spell the word for what you put in the toaster.

Written By: karen on 05/28/04 at 4:09 am

Post,
Most,
Host,
Post,
Most,
Host,
Post,
Most,
Host,
Post,
Most,
Host.

bread

Written By: gumbypiz on 05/28/04 at 5:30 am

A man builds a house, rectangular in shape. All sides have southern exposure. A big bear walks by, what color is the bear?

A clerk in the butcher shop is 5' 10" tall. What does he weigh?

A murderer is condemned to death. He has to choose between three rooms. The first is full of raging fires, the second is full of assassins with loaded guns, and the third is full of lions that haven't eaten in 3 years. Which room is safest for him?

Written By: Paul on 05/28/04 at 7:28 am

Got two (I think...) - still mangling the grey stuff on the third...

A man builds a house, rectangular in shape. All sides have southern exposure. A big bear walks by, what color is the bear?

White...it's a polar bear - the house is at the North Pole...

A clerk in the butcher shop is 5' 10" tall. What does he weigh?

Meat...!!

Whilst I'm mangling, have one for yourselves...

Traditionally, what does...

a man do standing up...
a woman do sitting down...
and a dog do with one leg in the air...(!)

Written By: karen on 05/28/04 at 8:16 am

Traditionally, what does...

a man do standing up...
a woman do sitting down...
and a dog do with one leg in the air...(!)

shake hands

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/28/04 at 11:09 am

It doesn't matter, since he's condemned to death anyway.

Which is worth more, an old $5 bill or a new one?

A murderer is condemned to death. He has to choose between three rooms. The first is full of raging fires, the second is full of assassins with loaded guns, and the third is full of lions that haven't eaten in 3 years. Which room is safest for him?

Written By: philbo on 05/28/04 at 11:30 am

The one he's in at the moment, presumably... either that or the lions who'd be dead after three years' starvation.

Written By: gumbypiz on 05/28/04 at 12:53 pm

The one he's in at the moment, presumably... either that or the lions who'd be dead after three years' starvation.

Correct, the lions are quite dead after 3 years starvation. ;)

How many birthdays does the average man have?

Some months have 31 days. How many have 28?

You have only one match and you walk into a room where there was an oil burner, a kerosene lamp, and a wood burning stove...which one would you light first?

Written By: Bobo on 05/28/04 at 1:53 pm

One, each year, all of them.. and... ???

You have only one match and you walk into a room where there was an oil burner, a kerosene lamp, and a wood burning stove...which one would you light first?

Written By: Bobo on 05/28/04 at 2:10 pm

Mon dieu. I've actually read it through again and I know that the answer is: the match.

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/28/04 at 2:29 pm

One, the day he is born.
They all do!

Written By: Bobby on 05/28/04 at 5:40 pm

A man is found hung by a rope in a warehouse. There is nothing in this warehouse. Outside is a van with a wet floor.

How did he hang himself?  ???

Written By: resinchaser on 05/28/04 at 5:56 pm

None. You're in a room where there was a kerosene lamp, an oil burner, and a stove.

Written By: Bobby on 05/28/04 at 5:59 pm

None. You're in a room where there was a kerosene lamp, an oil burner, and a stove.

Now that's a smart answer.  :)

Written By: Howard on 05/28/04 at 7:53 pm

Post,
Most,
Host,
Post,
Most,
Host,
Post,
Most,
Host,
Post,
Most,
Host.

Toast? ;D

Howard

Written By: Bobo on 05/28/04 at 11:28 pm

;D Bread!

Written By: Ripp on 05/29/04 at 10:41 am

To my last riddle - it was a woman.
People say that women "glow" when they perspire. But do women show any light? Nope.

I have another one:

Jimmy has 5 bricks. He needs to make a model consisting of 6 bricks. Typical - the place he is in has no more bricks. Next to him is a tool shop and also there's a cottage. How would he be able to make this?

And:

George, Emilio and Pete drink Coffee.
Amy, Hannah, and Sara drink Alcohol.
What would Jenna drink?

Written By: AssKicker on 05/29/04 at 12:30 pm

Bobby- The man stood on a block of ice and hanged himself, then the ice melted. Either that or someone else gave him a leg up and ran off and the guy wet himself as he died... :o

Ripp- Jimmy could get a chisel from the tool shop and break one of his bricks in half.
And I reckon Jenna drinks liquid.

I'm probably completely wrong! ::)

Written By: gumbypiz on 05/30/04 at 5:20 am

Mon dieu. I've actually read it through again and I know that the answer is: the match.

Yep, the answer is the match.

Marie's father has five daughters:
1. Chacha
2. Cheche
3. Chichi
4. Chocho

What is the name of the fifth daughter?

Which is correct to say, "The yolk of the egg are white" or "The yolk of the egg is white"?

In Okmulgee, Oklahoma, you cannot take a picture of a man with a wooden leg.
Why not?

Written By: Bobo on 05/30/04 at 6:19 am

Neither. The yolk of the egg is yellow. It's the albumen which is white.

The fifth daughter's name is Marie.

Erm...

Written By: Ripp on 05/30/04 at 9:05 am

Bobby- The man stood on a block of ice and hanged himself, then the ice melted. Either that or someone else gave him a leg up and ran off and the guy wet himself as he died... :o

Ripp- Jimmy could get a chisel from the tool shop and break one of his bricks in half.
And I reckon Jenna drinks liquid.

I'm probably completely wrong! ::)

Quite Correct, of that which is my Jimmy Riddle.
But what do you mean by liquid? Because Jenna drinks both. She will drink Coffee and Alcohol

Written By: Ripp on 05/30/04 at 9:10 am

Chips
Sips
Flips
Sips
Flips
Chips
Flips
Nips
Tips
Sips
Chips

Now say what you find in fruit.

Written By: Bobo on 05/30/04 at 9:13 am

Juice.

Written By: Bobby on 05/30/04 at 11:18 am

Your first answer is correct, A*skicker. He carried the big block of ice from his van (explaining the wet patch), stood on it and waited for the ice to melt - that's a long way to die.  ;D

Written By: Ripp on 05/30/04 at 11:23 am

Jimmy has 5 bricks. He needs to make a model consisting of 6 bricks. Typical - the place he is in has no more bricks. Next to him is a tool shop and also there's a cottage. How would he be able to make this?

Also, you don't know what could have been in the cottage. Perhaps this cottage was abandoned; you could have taken a hammer from the toolshop, knocked it down and taken a brick that was still intact.

Written By: Neo Matrix on 05/30/04 at 1:47 pm

There was a man who had no eyes,
he went outside to view the skies,
he saw a tree with good apples grown,
he took no apples off,
he left no apples on

Explain that!

Written By: Bobo on 05/30/04 at 1:53 pm

He didn't have no eyes, he didn't have two eyes, therefore, he must have only had one eye.

He only ate one of the two apples on the tree.

Written By: gumbypiz on 05/30/04 at 7:32 pm

Neither. The yolk of the egg is yellow. It's the albumen which is white.

The fifth daughter's name is Marie.

Erm...

Correct the yolk of an egg is yellow. So neither is the correct answer.

Yes, the fifth daughter's name is Marie, (you'd be surprised how many people DON'T get that one!) ;)

In Okmulgee, Oklahoma, you cannot take a picture of a man with a wooden leg. Why not?
You have to take a picture of a man with a camera, not with a wooden leg.

----------

How much dirt would be in a hole 6 feet deep and 6 feet wide, that has been dug with a square edged shovel?

I have two U.S. coins totaling 55 cents. One is not a nickel. What are the coins?

If it takes 3 people to dig a hole, how many does it take to dig half a hole?

Written By: gemini61 on 05/30/04 at 8:10 pm

----------

How much dirt would be in a hole 6 feet deep and 6 feet wide, that has been dug with a square edged shovel?

I have two U.S. coins totaling 55 cents. One is not a nickel. What are the coins?

There would be No dirt in the hole.

And if one U.S. coin wasn't a nickle it would be a 50 cent piece and the other one is a nickle.

As for the half a hole, I guess there isn't such a thing as half a hole, it would still be a hole, right?

Written By: Ripp on 05/31/04 at 11:14 am

No dirt; a hole has nothing in it.

??? I dont work in US riddles ???

3 people. Half a hole is still a hole. you could have a 50m by 50m hole, or a 25m by 25m hole and it would still be dug by three people.

----------------------------

A picture shows two eyes, no nose, no ears and a mouth. You meet what's on the picture, and it says to you how nice you smell, and it answers your question. What is it?

Written By: AssKicker on 05/31/04 at 11:55 am

I don't know American currency either, but I think I can work this out:

You have a nickel (I assume a nickel is worth 5 cents?) and a coin that equals 50 cents (I don't know what that one is called, but it's likely that you have one over there!). You said that one of the coins is not a nickel, which is true- the 50-cent coin is not a nickel. But the other one is.

And half a hole isn't strictly a hole, since there's no such thing. You can have a hole half the size of another hole, but it's still a hole, and not half a hole.

Written By: gumbypiz on 05/31/04 at 7:40 pm

I don't know American currency either, but I think I can work this out:

You have a nickel (I assume a nickel is worth 5 cents?) and a coin that equals 50 cents (I don't know what that one is called, but it's likely that you have one over there!). You said that one of the coins is not a nickel, which is true- the 50-cent coin is not a nickel. But the other one is.

And half a hole isn't strictly a hole, since there's no such thing. You can have a hole half the size of another hole, but it's still a hole, and not half a hole.

You and others are correct, @ssKicker...

One of the coins is not a nickle (50cent piece), the other is a nickle (5 cents).

None
No matter how big a hole is, it's still a hole -- the absence of dirt.
It's impossible to dig a half of a hole. Either you have a hole, or you don't.

-----
Is it legal for a man in California to marry his widow's sister?

If there are 3 apples and you take away 2, how many do you have?

A man had to go to an inportant meeting and he had to ride his horse to get there. He left on Friday afternoon and came back three days later on Friday. How is that possible?

What is:
1. more powerful than God
2. more evil than the Devil
3. The rich need it
4. The poor have it
5. and if you eat it, you will die?

Written By: Bobby on 05/31/04 at 8:04 pm

What is:
1. more powerful than God
2. more evil than the Devil
3. The rich need it
4. The poor have it
5. and if you eat it, you will die?

Nothing.

Written By: Bobo on 06/01/04 at 12:45 am

You still have three apples, it's just that two are elsewhere.

Friday was the name he bestowed upon his Lamborghini Diablo which he drove there.

Written By: Zella on 06/01/04 at 1:00 am

You have two apples, because that is how many you just took away...

Written By: gumbypiz on 06/01/04 at 5:57 am

Nothing.

Exactly. ;)
Nothing is more powerful than God.
Nothing is more evil than the Devil
The Rich need nothing.
The Poor have nothing.
It you eat nothing, you will die.

Written By: gumbypiz on 06/01/04 at 6:01 am

You still have three apples, it's just that two are elsewhere.

Not exacty...Zella got it, the answer is two apples. If there was 3 apples and you took away 2 apples then you'd have two apples.

Friday was the name he bestowed upon his Lamborghini Diablo which he drove there.

Well, it was a horse named Friday...so you're only off, say, 495 horsepower, close enough thou..

Any answers on this one?--Is it legal for a man in California to marry his widow's sister?

Written By: Ripp on 06/01/04 at 7:09 am

Hey!

Noone answered my riddle;

A picture shows two eyes, no nose, no ears and a mouth. You meet what's on the picture, and it says to you how nice you smell, and it answers your question. What is it?

Written By: Bobby on 06/01/04 at 8:16 am

Here's one I borrowed from somewhere . . .

A man walks into a bar and asks for a glass of water. The bartender points a gun at him and the man says thank you and walks out.

Written By: Bobo on 06/01/04 at 12:59 pm

The shock of the gun being pointed at the man... through the shock it gave him... CURED the hiccups he was suffering, which was the reason that he wanted the glass of water.

Written By: Bobo on 06/01/04 at 1:03 pm

If it's his widow's sister... then surely the man is dead? And therefore he can't marry the sister.

Any answers on this one?--Is it legal for a man in California to marry his widow's sister?

Written By: Bobby on 06/01/04 at 1:37 pm

The shock of the gun being pointed at the man... through the shock it gave him... CURED the hiccups he was suffering, which was the reason that he wanted the glass of water.

Good one, Bobo.  ;)

Written By: Ripp on 06/01/04 at 3:10 pm

The answer is "No"! I cannot believe you didnt get that one, if it's "his widow's sister" then he must be dead! He can't wake from the dead to pop to his WIDOW'S sister and propose...

Written By: Bobby on 06/01/04 at 6:38 pm

The answer is "No"! I cannot believe you didnt get that one, if it's "his widow's sister" then he must be dead! He can't wake from the dead to pop to his WIDOW'S sister and propose...

Bobo and 80scheerleader answered that one, Ripp.  :)

Written By: gumbypiz on 06/01/04 at 8:38 pm

Yes, you're right its very difficult to marry when you're dead...but y'know we do have some freaky people out her in Cali, wouldn't put it past 'em to give it a try. ;)
------
What is lighter than a feather, can be seen by the naked eye, and if you put it into a barrel it will make it lighter?

The man who invented it doesn't want it, The man who bought it doesn't need it, The man who needs it doesn't know it. What is it?

Think of words ending in 'gry'. Angry and hungry are two of them. There are only three words in the English language. What is the third word? The word is something that everyone uses every day. If you have listened carefully, I have already told you what it is.

Written By: Ripp on 06/02/04 at 11:29 am

What, can noone answer my riddle!

{A picture shows two eyes, no ears, no nose and a mouth. You meet what's on the picture and it comments on how you smell and} {answers your questions to it.}
{What is it?}

The answer is a SNAKE.

Did you know?

Snakes only use vibrations to hear. They have no ears. This is why the snake (apparently a talking snake) can answer your questions.
Snakes have no proper nose to smell. They use their tounges to smell. This is how they can smell how nice you smell.

Written By: Bobo on 06/02/04 at 3:07 pm

Hungry is the third word.

Think of words ending in 'gry'. Angry and hungry are two of them. There are only three words in the English language. What is the third word? The word is something that everyone uses every day. If you have listened carefully, I have already told you what it is.

Written By: gumbypiz on 06/02/04 at 3:27 pm

Hungry is the third word.

80s cheerleader got it. The answer is "language".
The first two sentences of this riddle are bogus, and are there just to throw you off...There are only three words in the English language. What is the third word?
Sneaky one ain't it?

Written By: MLB on 06/08/04 at 4:23 pm

This is an unusual paragraph. I'm curious how quickly you can find out what is so unusual about it? It looks so plain you would think nothing was wrong with it! In fact, nothing is wrong with it! It is unusual though. Study it, and think about it, but you still may not find anything odd. But if you work at it a bit, you might find out! Try to do so without any coaching!

The only thing I see in here is the abundance of unusual is used 3 times. And the fact that the first and last are 7 words. The middle and first to last are 14 words long, and the one or two sentences in the middle are 12 words long.  14 is a factor of 7, and 12 and 14 are even numbers but 7 is an odd number, and a prime number!  Am I missing something greater than any of this?

Written By: MLB on 06/08/04 at 4:28 pm

A man is found hung by a rope in a warehouse. There is nothing in this warehouse. Outside is a van with a wet floor.

How did he hang himself?  ???
Did someone already get this one?  He used a large block of ice to stand on. Waited for it to melt and tighten the rope and that leaves the only evidence outside..the truck that transported him to the warehouse with this ice.

Written By: womberty on 06/08/04 at 5:46 pm

It contains no 'e's.

Written By: womberty on 06/08/04 at 6:00 pm

There was a man who had no eyes,
he went outside to view the skies,
he saw a tree with good apples grown,
he took no apples off,
he left no apples on

Explain that!

Shouldn't it say "not" instead of "no"? "No apples" means "zero apples", whereas "not apples" could mean "apple but not apples".

Written By: philbo on 06/09/04 at 10:39 am

Haven't spotted any riddles in need of solution, so I'll supply a new one (with no prizes for guessing whence it came):

This thing all things devours:
Birds, beasts, trees, flowers;
Gnaws iron, bites steel;
Grinds hard stones to meal;
Slays king, ruins town,
And beats high mountains down.

Written By: womberty on 06/09/04 at 11:54 am

Haven't spotted any riddles in need of solution, so I'll supply a new one (with no prizes for guessing whence it came):

This thing all things devours:
Birds, beasts, trees, flowers;
Gnaws iron, bites steel;
Grinds hard stones to meal;
Slays king, ruins town,
And beats high mountains down.

Eggs. Eggs is the answer!

No, wait... I mean... Time.  ;D

Now, what have I got in my pocket?

Written By: philbo on 06/09/04 at 12:07 pm

String or nothing

Written By: womberty on 06/09/04 at 12:11 pm

Nothing it is!

Okay, here's one:

How many places on Earth are there where you can walk a mile south, a mile east, and a mile north, and end up right where you started?

Written By: pennsygirl on 06/09/04 at 12:50 pm

There are only two words in the English language that have no words that rhyme with them.  They are both colors.  What are the two words?

Written By: Bobo on 06/09/04 at 12:51 pm

Two of them, you could put forward, are silver (which actually rhymes with the word chilver) and purple (which rhymes with the word curple)..

Written By: philbo on 06/09/04 at 1:03 pm

How many places on Earth are there where you can walk a mile south, a mile east, and a mile north, and end up right where you started?

One - the north pole

Written By: Ripp on 06/09/04 at 1:11 pm

Purple rhymes with Slurple (apparently french)! So I'm off to see the wizard, the wonderful wizard of oz... ;D Nah, Im off to see what it means ;)

Written By: womberty on 06/09/04 at 1:21 pm

One - the north pole

Incorrect.

Written By: womberty on 06/09/04 at 1:24 pm

What rhymes with "giraffe"?

Written By: Bobo on 06/09/04 at 1:34 pm

"Agraffe"?

Written By: womberty on 06/09/04 at 3:31 pm

It's not what I had in mind, and not quite as good of a rhyme as what I'm thinking...

Written By: Bobby on 06/09/04 at 4:54 pm

Did someone already get this one?  He used a large block of ice to stand on. Waited for it to melt and tighten the rope and that leaves the only evidence outside..the truck that transported him to the warehouse with this ice.

That's it, Michelle B. Asskicker already answered it but since you didn't know she answered it, you got it right too!  ;)

Written By: AssKicker on 06/10/04 at 1:27 am

"Orange" really does have no rhymes.

Written By: Bobby on 06/10/04 at 3:38 am

"Orange" really does have no rhymes.

Arrange I suppose would come close, @sskicker.

Written By: pennsygirl on 06/10/04 at 7:19 am

There are only two words in the English language that have no words that rhyme with them.  They are both colors.  What are the two words?

You guys were right, the two words are silver and orange.  I never heard the word "chilver", what does it mean?

Written By: Indy Gent on 06/10/04 at 3:19 pm

Carafe (a pot you hold coffee in)

What rhymes with "giraffe"?

Written By: womberty on 06/10/04 at 3:25 pm

Yes!  "Carafe" is the word I was thinking.  ;D

Now, anyone else want to try this one?

Written By: Bobo on 06/10/04 at 3:38 pm

In fairness, it's actually mainly used as a surname - I believe it's also the name of a place in London, England.. but I wouldn't be able to confirm that with any substance..

You guys were right, the two words are silver and orange.  I never heard the word "chilver", what does it mean?

Written By: karen on 06/11/04 at 6:01 am

In fairness, it's actually mainly used as a surname - I believe it's also the name of a place in London, England.. but I wouldn't be able to confirm that with any substance..

Bobo is right.  A Google search revealed several pages devoted to people with the surname Chilver, including the Lord Chilver who is a member of the House of Lords, and this page about a street in London

http://www.londontown.com/LondonStreets/chilver_street_d0a.html

Written By: gumbypiz on 06/11/04 at 3:35 pm

One, the north pole?

Written By: womberty on 06/11/04 at 3:40 pm

No, that's incorrect.

Written By: AssKicker on 06/12/04 at 12:17 pm

Nowhere, as far as I can tell.

Unless you mean in a spiritual context, in which case it'd be anywhere as long as you ended up walking off a cliff or something or in other fatal circumstances, because you'd go to Heaven or Purgatory or whatever there is there, which is where you and all people originally came from.

Perhaps I'm reading too much into this riddle.

Written By: womberty on 06/14/04 at 1:21 pm

Nowhere, as far as I can tell.

at the top of a mountain.

Neither of those is correct. (Downhill is not the same as south, regardless of what Treebeard says. :P)

To help you out a little...  the North Pole is one place where you can do that, but it is not the only place.

Written By: gumbypiz on 06/15/04 at 5:43 am

Well, if you walk in reverse order, then the South pole would qualify too.

I would've thought that too but...
If you're at the South pole ANY direction you move will be NORTH.
So you couldn't walk a mile south to begin with...

Written By: gumbypiz on 06/15/04 at 11:32 am

That's why I said to reverse it.  Notice, it doesn't say "First you walk a mile south..." ;)

:-[
Duh, sorry, now I understand. ;)

Written By: womberty on 06/15/04 at 4:03 pm

Hmm... an interesting twist. :)

That's not what I'd intended. I suppose the riddle should be worded as:

How many places are there on Earth where you can walk a mile south, then a mile east, then a mile north, and end up where you started?

The answer is not 0, 1, or 2.

Written By: womberty on 06/16/04 at 1:48 pm

Well, assuming you're starting at or near the north pole, taking into account the curvature of the earth, there would be an infinite number. kinda' like a "cone" effect ;)

You're getting closer... However, if you started someplace near the North Pole, but not exactly at it, your spot of return would be slightly east of your starting spot.

(It's a mathematical riddle - you have to think of it as a pinpoint, not a location the size of your shoe, so you can't just get something "close.")

Written By: Ripp on 02/25/05 at 12:54 pm

No, ive researched it and it says only one place, the north pole

why are you insisting it is incorrect?

;D

Check for new replies or respond here...