inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why do people get bullied?

Written By: Howard on 05/30/04 at 11:42 am

Well,I decided to bump this topic because I've decided to make peace with that guy who I was talking about. before the board died. His name is Oscar,the bully who used to tease me and my Brother in High School 15 years ago. I decided to not keep a grudge anymore and I'd like to take him out to lunch or dinner one day the next time I see him again.These days,he's into the bible-thumping and he doesn't really do much at all but him and I should have a long talk about what you've been doing after 1989 & why you've decided to change all of a sudden. He seemed like a nice guy now.He says he'd like to invite me to a party and get introduced to some pretty girls. :)

Howard

Subject: Re: Why do kids and ADULTS tease and/or bully?

Written By: Bobby on 05/30/04 at 11:51 am

A 'bible thumper' inviting you to a party to meet girls !?! He must be a liberal bible thumper.  ;D

In all seriousness, it is great that you have decided to find out about the person that has bullied you in the past, Howard. At least it will allow you to close that particularly nasty chapter of your life and will give you a better understanding perhaps.

IMO, I think you have done a nobel thing. If worst comes to the worst, at least you don't have to see him again like you had to at school.  :)

Written By: Howard on 05/30/04 at 11:55 am

A 'bible thumper' inviting you to a party to meet girls !?! He must be a liberal bible thumper.  ;D

In all seriousness, it is great that you have decided to find out about the person that has bullied you in the past, Howard. At least it will allow you to close that particularly nasty chapter of your life and will give you a better understanding perhaps.

IMO, I think you have done a nobel thing. If worst comes to the worst, at least you don't have to see him again like you had to at school.  :)

I hope he doesn't try anything funny cause I have a cell phone and I know how to use it. ;D

Howard

Written By: Bobby on 05/30/04 at 11:56 am

I hope he doesn't try anything funny cause I have a cell phone and I know how to use it. ;D

Lol. Eh? What are you going to do? Beat him over the head with it?  ;D

Written By: Howard on 05/30/04 at 11:58 am

Lol. Eh? What are you going to do? Beat him over the head with it?  ;D

No,call the police! This ain't 1989 and I'm not 15 years old, This is 2004 & We're both in our 30's so let's start acting like mature adults and reminessce about the good old times. :)

Howard

Written By: Bobby on 05/30/04 at 12:02 pm

No,call the police! This ain't 1989 and I'm not 15 years old, This is 2004 & We're both in our 30's so let's start acting like mature adults and reminessce about the good old times. :)

Maturity is good. However, for me, reminiscing about old times with a bully is like going back to a business reunion at the company you got sacked from.  :-\\

Written By: Howard on 05/30/04 at 12:05 pm

Maturity is good. However, for me, reminiscing about old times with a bully is like going back to a business reunion at the company you got sacked from.  :-\\

Yeah,I remember when he took my bike and snuck in a forest.That I will never forget but am willing to let bygones be bygones. :)

Howard

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/30/04 at 12:33 pm

Yeah,I remember when he took my bike and snuck in a forest.That I will never forget but am willing to let bygones be bygones. :)

Howard

Wow, Howard.  You should be one of those international mediators they use to keep countries from going to war.

LB

Written By: AL-B on 05/30/04 at 1:51 pm

Well,I decided to bump this topic because I've decided to make peace with that guy who I was talking about. before the board died. His name is Oscar,the bully who used to tease me and my Brother in High School 15 years ago. I decided to not keep a grudge anymore and I'd like to take him out to lunch or dinner one day the next time I see him again.These days,he's into the bible-thumping and he doesn't really do much at all but him and I should have a long talk about what you've been doing after 1989 & why you've decided to change all of a sudden. He seemed like a nice guy now.He says he'd like to invite me to a party and get introduced to some pretty girls. :)

Howard
If this guy is sincere and you can make peace with him, I can tell you from my own experiences that you will be a much happier person because of it. I carried around a lot of negative B.S. from high school for YEARS, but I've ran into a few people since then who pushed me around back then and when I see them now they treat me with respect. So I decided to let bygones be bygones and it has taken a HUGE load off of me.  I sincerely hope that this guy's intentions are true and things work out well. Good luck! :)

Written By: Fred on 05/30/04 at 5:46 pm

When I was younger, I used to get bullied. And I haven't had a bad case of it for a couple years now.  ;) And, hopefully it will stay that way, but now that I'm bigger than most of the kids who thought they were cool, mocking every kid who walks by them.  >:( I've also taken up boxing.

But it's not just guy's who bully, a few weeks ago, I was sitting with my friends at some school assembly, and they asked for a few volunteers. After a few minutes you could overhear the girl's sitting behind me. They were mocking one of the volunteers, and were being a bunch of total b*****s, to another girl volunteer.

Written By: Bobby on 05/30/04 at 5:55 pm

But it's not just guy's who bully, a few weeks ago, I was sitting with my friends at some school assembly, and they asked for a few volunteers. After a few minutes you could overhear the girl's sitting behind me. They were mocking one of the volunteers, and were being a bunch of total b*****s, to another girl volunteer.

Of course girls bully as well, they just do it in a different way.  :)

Written By: Dagwood on 05/30/04 at 7:31 pm

I am glad you have decided to let this go, Howard.  You will find you are a much happier person when you don't hold grudges from childhood.

Written By: Fred on 05/30/04 at 7:36 pm

Of course girls bully as well, they just do it in a different way.  :)

That's what I meant.  :(

Written By: Howard on 05/31/04 at 10:49 am

I am glad you have decided to let this go, Howard.  You will find you are a much happier person when you don't hold grudges from childhood.

If I do see him again which I know he will be on the avenue almost every time I see Oscar,I will set up a day where we can meet each other for coffee and cake and discuss what has been happening for the past 15 years.He seemed to be at peace with me.But,you never know what might be lurking inside his brain. ::)

Howard

Written By: Bobby on 05/31/04 at 4:37 pm

That's what I meant.  :(

Oh no. Sorry Fred. I meant to affirm your statement not negate it.

I apologize for the misunderstanding.  ;)

Written By: Fred on 05/31/04 at 10:48 pm

Oh no. Sorry Fred. I meant to affirm your statement not negate it.

I apologize for the misunderstanding.  ;)

No problem.  ;)

Written By: Bobby on 06/01/04 at 8:19 am

No problem.  ;)

:)

Written By: Howard on 06/01/04 at 5:13 pm

Maybe,I'll see him this weekend and I'll let him know when we go out for lunch or dinner.

think I should tell my Mother about this bully I'm going out to eat with? I think she knows this guy! ???

Howard

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/01/04 at 7:11 pm

Maybe,I'll see him this weekend and I'll let him know when we go out for lunch or dinner.

think I should tell my Mother about this bully I'm going out to eat with? I think she knows this guy! ???

Howard

I think that depends on your relationship with your Mom, and how much she knows about Oscar.  If he was a real d***-head to you when you were a kid, she may become VERY protective.

My only advice to you in all of this is that if you and he go grab a bite to eat or whatever, you make sure that you go to a public place, that you know, where there are lots of people so that if he starts being an A-hole  (hopefully does not), you're covered.

LB

Written By: Howard on 06/02/04 at 7:05 pm

I think that depends on your relationship with your Mom, and how much she knows about Oscar.  If he was a real d***-head to you when you were a kid, she may become VERY protective.

My only advice to you in all of this is that if you and he go grab a bite to eat or whatever, you make sure that you go to a public place, that you know, where there are lots of people so that if he starts being an A-hole  (hopefully does not), you're covered.

LB

I think she might know him If I said his name. If I bump into him on my avenue on the weekends,I will talk to him about setting a lunch or dinner date together. :)

Howard

Written By: Howard on 03/10/06 at 2:30 pm

Throughout the years,I've had my share of being teased and bullied and it's not so fun when you're a kid.But now that I'm much older I'm hardly ever teased.It's possible that maturity has something to do with it.

Written By: Apricot on 03/10/06 at 2:37 pm

People bully because they're insecure about themselves.. or, they just like the pain of others.

Written By: Howard on 03/10/06 at 3:26 pm

People bully because they're insecure about themselves.. or, they just like the pain of others.

Or they've been bullied by their parents

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/10/06 at 9:15 pm

Howard...did you ever end up meeting up with that Oscar person that you were talking about?

Written By: La Roche on 03/10/06 at 10:16 pm

Throughout the years,I've had my share of being teased and bullied and it's not so fun when you're a kid.But now that I'm much older I'm hardly ever teased.It's possible that maturity has something to do with it.

Howard, if somebody picked on you, I bet you could whip 'em  ;)

Written By: rich1981 on 03/10/06 at 11:40 pm

Teasing/bullying is a kid thing, pure and simple.

Written By: Howard on 03/11/06 at 7:34 am

Howard...did you ever end up meeting up with that Oscar person that you were talking about?

No.I don't know what happened to him.

Written By: Howard on 03/11/06 at 7:34 am

Howard, if somebody picked on you, I bet you could whip 'em  ;)

I'd certainly scream my lungs off. ;)

Written By: Howard on 07/11/14 at 6:33 am

when was the last time you were a victim of bullying?

Written By: 80sfan on 07/15/14 at 2:54 pm

I don't know.  :(

Subject: Re: Why do people get bullied?

Written By: Howard on 12/27/19 at 2:06 pm

From what I've seen in the newspaper and on TV these days is absolutely outstanding, I mean the number of  people bulling other people such as targeting Jews, foreigners and the LGBTQ community from different countries are on the rise, they just have nothing better to do and they must feel better for themselves doing what they do.

Written By: 2001 on 12/28/19 at 11:08 am

There was a news story here in Toronto of an 11 year old committing suicide after being bullied. Very sad.  :-\\

Written By: Howard on 12/28/19 at 3:59 pm

There was a news story here in Toronto of an 11 year old committing suicide after being bullied. Very sad.  :-\\

I have heard of people trying to commit suicide by jumping off bridges and they're trying to prevent that by putting up special fences for those situations.

Written By: 2001 on 12/28/19 at 4:15 pm

I have heard of people trying to commit suicide by jumping off bridges and they're trying to prevent that by putting up special fences for those situations.

Yep, Toronto is actually the most notorious city in North America for suicide by jumping off a bridge. I thought of it myself once but that's another story.  :-X They put up barriers on most bridges and some of them are really pretty, like the Bloor Viaduct (this was a 10 minute walk from my old house)

https://historicbridges.org/ontario/bloorstreetprinceedwardviaduct/little_bloorstreetprinceedwardviaduct1517_8_9_fusedd.jpg

Written By: violet_shy on 01/06/20 at 12:28 pm

Whenever I got bullied, I NEVER turned to suicide. I use to fight back. Do little annoying things like dress cute and do my own thing. When I was a kid and got bullied, I use to be so mean to them on purpose. They weren't going to bully me and get away with it. Heck no!

Then I got older and I learned to deal with it better. I simply ignored the haters.

Written By: Howard on 01/06/20 at 3:21 pm

Whenever I got bullied, I NEVER turned to suicide. I use to fight back. Do little annoying things like dress cute and do my own thing. When I was a kid and got bullied, I use to be so mean to them on purpose. They weren't going to bully me and get away with it. Heck no!

Then I got older and I learned to deal with it better. I simply ignored the haters.

I got bullied most of my childhood but as I grew up I've learned to ignore them cause I know better now.

Written By: Sman12 on 01/30/20 at 3:03 pm

Because bullies want to have the authority to prey on people who look "different". I was bullied in elementary school for my autism, I absolutely HATED it. Things liked that made me become more depressed in myself. But thankfully, middle & high school was a lot more different than I expected, and I made more friends.

Written By: violet_shy on 01/30/20 at 3:07 pm

Because bullies want to have the authority to prey on people who look "different". I was bullied in middle school for my autism, I absolutely HATED it. Things liked that made me become more depressed in myself. But thankfully, middle & high school was a lot more different than I expected, and I made more friends.

I too had more friends in middle school. 8th grade was my best time, and I had no bullies that year.

Written By: wagonman76 on 01/30/20 at 9:42 pm

I think people are bullies because they are jealous or hateful.  And while some people are easier targets for bullies, I don't think it really matters in the end.  Even if you were perfect, a bully would find something to pick at you about.

I used to get picked on and beat on all the time, because of medical conditions that made me very tiny.  By the time I grew I was already labeled.  I just kept to myself, had fun on my own, did well in school.  As a result I never learned how to make friends to this day, but I'm happier doing my own things anyway.  And I breezed through college, as I didn't spend my time partying, I just concentrated on my work and played bass the rest of the time.  I got an early start to an engineering career when I was 20, and now at 43 I'm still doing it, at a different place than where I started but been at this one for over 21 years now.  And I've been a homeowner since I was 22 and always took care of things myself.  Also raised a kid who is almost 19 and is self sufficient.  So anyone in school who said I'd never amount to anything is certainly wrong.  I'm not one for gatherings but if we ever had a class reunion it'd be interesting to show up for a little while so they could see I made something of myself.  But I don't have any bitter feelings against anyone, that's all long gone.  I've got myself to take care of.

Written By: Howard on 01/31/20 at 7:31 am

Because bullies want to have the authority to prey on people who look "different". I was bullied in elementary school for my autism, I absolutely HATED it. Things liked that made me become more depressed in myself. But thankfully, middle & high school was a lot more different than I expected, and I made more friends.

My Brother And I got bullied in school, I never could fight back and this is why I got the @#&! kicked out of us but do you ever see your bully like 20 years later and see that most of them are grown up with wives and children, then you try to make peace with them later on?

Written By: mqg96 on 01/31/20 at 10:32 am

Growing up as a black kid in middle school and high school, you had to deal with bullies on both sites. White bullies who would insult you and act racist towards you (although most weren't like this towards me) while you have those within your own race who pressured you to act exactly like the black stereotype and if you didn't bow down to it, you got made fun of. I absolutely hated this so much, I wanted to be my own guy, but that wasn't enough to ask for. A lot of people say bullies are bullies because they get jealous, yes and no, not always. There's bullies who are bullies because they are insecure too or they're trying to show off, or they strongly disagree with your personal choice and want you to fit into the common crowd.

Written By: Rainbowz on 01/31/20 at 12:29 pm

Growing up as a black kid in middle school and high school, you had to deal with bullies on both sites. White bullies who would insult you and act racist towards you (although most weren't like this towards me) while you have those within your own race who pressured you to act exactly like the black stereotype and if you didn't bow down to it, you got made fun of. I absolutely hated this so much, I wanted to be my own guy, but that wasn't enough to ask for. A lot of people say bullies are bullies because they get jealous, yes and no, not always. There's bullies who are bullies because they are insecure too or they're trying to show off, or they strongly disagree with your personal choice and want you to fit into the common crowd.

One thing I’ve seen a lot when it comes to politics is that, if you’re black and you consider yourself to be right-wing, Republican or a conservative, you get called racist things like a “coon” and a “race traitor”. They act like black people are all supposed to think a certain way. It’s toxic. Let black people have their own opinions.

Written By: violet_shy on 01/31/20 at 12:31 pm

There wasn't much racial bullying when I was growing up. But When I was in 6th and 7th grade, they use to make fun of me and call me "mystery mix". Which I thought was a bit racist. Then I learned to embrace that as I got older.

Written By: Howard on 01/31/20 at 1:02 pm

There wasn't much racial bullying when I was growing up. Buy When I was in 6th and 7th grade, they use to make fun of me and call me "mystery mix". Which I thought was a bit racist. Then I learned to embrace that as I got older.

My Brother And I almost always got bullied by the big kids when we were in High School, I can almost still remember that day October 28th,1991 just got off the city bus and I believe it was a Monday afternoon from school just minding my business and I get pushed by bullies whom I knew from the High School area, I'm just walking home as usual and I get pushed around, do you believe that crap? I just wanted to go home, that's all.

Written By: violet_shy on 01/31/20 at 1:08 pm

My Brother And I almost always got bullied by the big kids when we were in High School, I can almost still remember that day October 28th,1991 just got off the city bus and I believe it was a Monday afternoon from school just minding my business and I get pushed by bullies whom I knew from the High School area, I'm just walking home as usual and I get pushed around, do you believe that crap? I just wanted to go home, that's all.

Being bullied is horrible at any age, but I feel that bullies in high school are the worst!

Written By: Howard on 01/31/20 at 1:15 pm

Being bullied is horrible at any age, but I feel that bullies in high school are the worst!

I was bullied by overweight ones and this goes back during the mid 1980's.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/31/20 at 2:27 pm

One day in 6th grade, I was walking home from school. This one girl who used to be a friend caught up with me. The next thing I knew, she, and a bunch of her friends had me surrounded. There were about 6 of them. They wanted to "kick my ass" because they didn't like me. I was so scared. Then a car pulled up and a woman got out and yelled at the girls. I took off. I held it together until I got home and totally broke down as soon as I saw my mother. I later found out that my "savior" was the mother of a classmate. I was kind of surprised because I thought that classmate was in cahoots with the "gang" who surrounded me.

I got "revenge" on them. How? I look around at my life today and I am a GREAT life. I am married to a wonderful man who treats me with respect and who is VERY good to me. I have a beautiful home and I don't have to worry about money. I am also very healthy. I have no idea how their lives turned out but I'm sure mine is so much better than theirs ever could be.

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...