inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: My Dream Could Come True....25 Years Late!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/01/04 at 3:01 pm

I've always wanted to be a DJ for a Classic Rock Station....now I might have my chance. You see, today I was leaving the library and turned on my favorite station. They had just asked a trivia question about the Beatles and the first correct answer would win dinner for two at a really nice Italian Restaraunt...Karaba's (Which is also a favorite). So I call and win...being about the Beatles...yet another favorite of mine...how could I lose! Anyway, the guy says "Who's your station for all rock and roll classics" and I said "103.9 The Eagle." He then says for me to hold on...plays my answer then gets back on the phone with me. He asked if I had ever worked there or anywhere as a DJ...I told him I hadn't but that I always wanted to be one. He asked me to make him a demo tape...just 5 minutes long and bring it in to him! NOW...here is my dilema....aside from the "Normal" feelings of being extremely nervous....I really don't know if I'd enjoy it as much as 25 years ago. What I mean to say is, I always liked practicing to be one with my records...like on "WKRP in Cinncinati" I wanted to cue the records and stuff. Now all this new technoligy makes me kinda hesitant. Thought, anyone :-\\

Subject: Re: My Dream Could Come True....25 Years Late!

Written By: Ripp on 06/01/04 at 3:05 pm

Check through your feelings and think about what you want. I mean, even if it is 25 years late, i might suggest trying it. Then, if you don't wanna do it, just dont. What i mean by try it out is try recording the tape they want, and then decide.

I'm sure this will work.

Written By: Howard on 06/01/04 at 4:58 pm

Good luck Rock,hope you get your wish! ;) :)

Howard

Written By: resinchaser on 06/01/04 at 5:03 pm

WOW! You are so lucky! I've always dreamed about getting on the air.

I say go for it. Ya got nothing to lose (at least I don't think). Good luk to you no matter what you decide.

Written By: Jessica on 06/01/04 at 5:08 pm

I say go for it. Don't let the new technology intimidate you. I know firsthand how great you are with doing that type of thing (I still have all the tapes you made me! :)). Good luck! :-*

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/01/04 at 5:14 pm

I am with the majority here-GO FOR IT! When oppertunity comes knocking, you really have to answer the door. If not, you may regret it-sometime down the line. If you don't at least try it, you will never know. I don't think you have anything to lose.

Cat

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 06/01/04 at 6:37 pm

Wow!  This sounds like the chance of a lifetime, Mark!  I'd say definitely try it out...it might just turn out to be everything you hoped it would be and more!  8)

Good luck!  :)

Written By: Bobby on 06/01/04 at 6:43 pm

Two words for you RocknRollfan - Do it!  :)

Not everybody gets a chance at a dream regardless of how late it is.

Good luck.  ;)

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/01/04 at 7:03 pm

Go 4 it, Buddy!  :)

You must have one of those natural "announcer voices" if the guy picked you out in a quickie phone call.

Go for the gusto, I say.  What is the downside?  Worst case scenario is that they do not offer you a DJ job.  Well, you don't have a DJ job now, so you would be no worse for wear.

One question:  What is your current job?  Would there be any ramifications?  ???

Written By: Dagwood on 06/01/04 at 8:41 pm

Go for it, Mark.

Written By: Fred on 06/01/04 at 9:07 pm

I've always wanted to be a DJ for a Classic Rock Station, I've been told I have the "voice", for broadcasting. But one of my greatest fears are if I make a mistake on air, with a few hundred thousand listeners or so, what the hell I would do?

Also, I wouldn't know what to act or say in front of a live audience.  :-\\

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/01/04 at 10:27 pm

I've always wanted to be a DJ for a Classic Rock Station, I've been told I have the "voice", for broadcasting. But one of my greatest fears are if I make a mistake on air, with a few hundred thousand listeners or so, what the hell I would do?

Also, I wouldn't know what to act or say in front of a live audience.  :-\\

Fred,

If you become a DJ, I can assure you that you WILL make a mistake, on the air, while thousands of people are listening.  It's part of the business.  All DJ's make mistakes.  C'est la vie.

What would you do?  Improvise and then move on with the show.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/02/04 at 8:35 pm

I say go for it. Don't let the new technology intimidate you. I know firsthand how great you are with doing that type of thing (I still have all the tapes you made me! :)). Good luck! :-*
Thanks, but I was SO mushy ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/02/04 at 8:39 pm

I've always wanted to be a DJ for a Classic Rock Station, I've been told I have the "voice", for broadcasting.
I've always been told that I have the perfect face for radio :D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/02/04 at 8:41 pm

Thanks to ALL of you, Ripp, 80s_cheerleader, Howard, resinchaser, Cat, Karen, Bobby, LyricBoy, Dagny and Fred....I'll let you know how it goes ;)

Written By: Rio_Rhodes on 06/03/04 at 1:10 pm

If I were you, I would completely go for it!! The technology isn't as intimidating as you might think, some stations still use a special type of CD player, some use a touch screen computer, and some use the record players too! It all depends and it is all really manageable! You will do fine with your tape and you will definetley be able to live your dream! Even if it is 25 years late!! Go for it! That is what I want too! I have wanted to be on the air since I was 10! You'll get there!!

Rio

Written By: Powerslave on 06/03/04 at 4:42 pm

RNR, I've been an announcer on a community station for 11 years, and I never miss a shift, even though I now live two hours' drive from the studio. I wanted to be a commercial radio announcer when I was a teen also, but it's a very tough gig to pull. Even if you only do it for a short while, it will be a dream come true. However, commercial radio is very different to what I do. My show is completely my own. I play my own music, and I play whatever I want. Most commercial radio station these days are programmed, inasmuch as all the music is generally loaded on a computer and pre-programmed with which songs will play at which times of the day. The announcer does very little in the way of programming (there are people who are hired just to do this), so all you do is talk between songs. The music more or less plays itself. You need to be aware that you might not be doing much song cue-ing, or even have much of a say in which songs get played. Radio programmers generally program only the most well known/popular songs by the most well known/popular artists, and they may not always be songs that you personally even like or think much of. The main role of the radio announcer is to add some personality. Don't let this put you off, though! Go for it, I say!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/03/04 at 7:46 pm

If I were you, I would completely go for it!! The technology isn't as intimidating as you might think, some stations still use a special type of CD player, some use a touch screen computer, and some use the record players too! It all depends and it is all really manageable! You will do fine with your tape and you will definetley be able to live your dream! Even if it is 25 years late!! Go for it! That is what I want too! I have wanted to be on the air since I was 10! You'll get there!!

Rio
Thanks Rio_Rhodes but I want you to know that as much as I appreciate your encouragement, I want YOU to also try and do this ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/03/04 at 7:48 pm

RNR, I've been an announcer on a community station for 11 years, and I never miss a shift, even though I now live two hours' drive from the studio. I wanted to be a commercial radio announcer when I was a teen also, but it's a very tough gig to pull. Even if you only do it for a short while, it will be a dream come true. However, commercial radio is very different to what I do. My show is completely my own. I play my own music, and I play whatever I want. Most commercial radio station these days are programmed, inasmuch as all the music is generally loaded on a computer and pre-programmed with which songs will play at which times of the day. The announcer does very little in the way of programming (there are people who are hired just to do this), so all you do is talk between songs. The music more or less plays itself. You need to be aware that you might not be doing much song cue-ing, or even have much of a say in which songs get played. Radio programmers generally program only the most well known/popular songs by the most well known/popular artists, and they may not always be songs that you personally even like or think much of. The main role of the radio announcer is to add some personality. Don't let this put you off, though! Go for it, I say!
Thanks for the words of wisdom, Powerslave....I'll keep you guys updated ;)

Written By: Rio_Rhodes on 06/03/04 at 8:31 pm

Thanks Rio_Rhodes but I want you to know that as much as I appreciate your encouragement, I want YOU to also try and do this ;)

THANK YOU!!!! ;) Thats very nice of you to say that!!!

Rio

Written By: Zella on 06/03/04 at 8:40 pm

Mark, you DO have the voice for it. Hope it works out! :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/03/04 at 9:40 pm

THANK YOU!!!! ;) Thats very nice of you to say that!!!

Rio
No problem, Rio_Rhodes. You NEED to do what I couldn't and pursue this while your young. Sadly, in my mind, things get morer difficult to accomplish with the passing of time. I believe you can do it ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/03/04 at 9:42 pm

Mark, you DO have the voice for it. Hope it works out! :)
Thanks but I also have the "Face" for it ::)

Written By: lebeiw15 on 06/03/04 at 10:52 pm

RNR,

i was going to say what Powerslave said.  I have a friend who works at a radio station (it's Clear Channel, but still  :P) and he's showed me/talked to me about how everything is set up.  A lor of music is pre-programmed, yes, and you can't decide at all really what is played.  It's all computer.  This, in my opinion, makes the job lose half the fun.  This is only because I would love the challenge of running, finding CDs, keeping the CD players running, talking, etc.  I would love it if it was old-fashioned and everything (and this is coming from a 15-year old!  But yeah, this might make it even easier on you if you wouldn't feel comfortable running a bunch of equipment (like it was said before, it's mostly touch-screen and/or computer operated). 

I would love to work in a radio station someday, and this may be my dream.  This is what I may be looking to do with my life.  I say, if you are really interested, go for it.  I would love to do it.  If this is your passion, go ahead, you have nothing to lose.  Have fun with it and good luck.  Please let me know how everything goes. :) :)

Written By: pennsygirl on 06/04/04 at 11:46 am

I think you should definitely do it! It's never too late to live your dream!  I think you'll do a great job.  I believe everything happens for a reason, it you weren't meant to do this, you wouldn't get the chance.  Go for it! 

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/04/04 at 2:54 pm

RnRF...

If you get to be a radio DJ, we need to get you set up for streaming audio so all of us Decades junkies can hear you!!!

LB

:) 8)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/05/04 at 9:20 am

RnRF...

If you get to be a radio DJ, we need to get you set up for streaming audio so all of us Decades junkies can hear you!!!

LB

:) 8)
I turned in the demo yesterday and they want me to come in on Monday to "Read"....I'll let all of you know! Thanks for all the support, everyone! :)

Written By: Indy Gent on 06/05/04 at 11:40 am

An oportunity like this only comes once in a lifetime, Rock. And you should take whatever is offered to you. I'd hate to have you refuse the offer to jock on a classic rock station, then regret it later. At your age (and mine), you should be able to calm those nerves and let your experience take over. Good luck, RnRF. I know you'll do great. ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/05/04 at 5:56 pm

An oportunity like this only comes once in a lifetime, Rock. And you should take whatever is offered to you. I'd hate to have you refuse the offer to jock on a classic rock station, then regret it later. At your age (and mine), you should be able to calm those nerves and let your experience take over. Good luck, RnRF. I know you'll do great. ;)
Thanks Indy, I really appreciate that. I'm taking the wait and see approach and just trying to enjoy the weekend ;)

Written By: mandamoo on 06/05/04 at 8:34 pm

Wishing you the best of luck R&RF ! ;) :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/05/04 at 10:23 pm

Wishing you the best of luck R&RF ! ;) :)
Thanks VERY much, mandamoo :-*

Written By: Fred on 06/07/04 at 11:49 pm

What would you do?  Improvise and then move on with the show.

I can't talk on air, unless I have something in front of me to read.  :-\\ :\'( Although I guess over time I'd get over that.  :)

Written By: MasterSplinter on 06/08/04 at 7:32 pm

Better late than Never, I'm happy for you

Written By: karen on 06/09/04 at 4:01 am

How did it go Mark?  Have you heard back from them yet?

Even if you didn't get this job perhaps it might inspire you to try again somewhere else.

Check for new replies or respond here...