inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do you go to Amusement/Theme Parks in the summer?

Written By: gemini61 on 06/02/04 at 5:13 pm

Just wondered if anyone likes to go to Amusement Parks in the summer! :) What is your favorite Amusement Park ride? I'm scared to death of Roller Coasters :-[ I have no idea why. I guess I have this feeling I'm just gonna fly out of the thing!! :D

Subject: Re: Do you go to Amusement/Theme Parks in the summer?

Written By: Saider E. on 06/02/04 at 5:21 pm

A few weeks ago I went to Great America outside Chicago and I conquered my fear of rollercoasters. As a matter of fact I got on some of them twice and would have kept going if the park didn't close.

Written By: gemini61 on 06/02/04 at 5:27 pm

I forgot to say that my favorite rides are the log rides and WhiteWater Canyon, which is also a water ride which is nice when its 90 degrees outside! We live near Kings Island in Ohio, so my 15 year old usually gets a season pass and her and a group of friend go about once a week. Oh another of my favorite things to do there is EAT!!!! :D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/02/04 at 5:32 pm

First off let me just say to gemini61 that I have never and will never get on a roller coaster ;)

When I was still married me and my family used to go to Utah where my wifes brother-law would get us into a place called Lagoon for free....he worked there. We would also go to Denver and spend a lot of time at "Water World"...I like the water parks but am not so keen on the amusement parks :-\\

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/02/04 at 6:09 pm

I really don't go to them anymore but I have been to:

Riverside Park (now Great Adventure, New England-Agwam, Mass)
Mountain Park (now defunct-in Holyoke, Mass)
Storytown (now Great Escape-in Lake George, NY)
Gaslight Village (now defunct-in Lake George, NY)
Great Adventure (in NJ)
Six Flags over Texas
Disneyland (in Calif)
Santa's Land (in Putney, VT)
Santa's Workshop (in North Pole, NY)
The Big E (in West Springfield, Mass-but more of a fair than an amusement park)
Expo 69 (in Montreal-again more of a fair)
The World's Fair in 65(?) (in NYC but I don't remember too much of it)

There may have been more but that is all I can think of right now.

I don't like roller coasters either. They did manage to get me on one of those loopdy loop ones at Six Flags. I think I still left my voice up there (yes, I am a screamer on those things). I also once saw the roller coaster tip over at Riverside. It was before they started up the hill (thank goodness). It is scared the stuffing out of me. We were sitting on a bench right near there when it happened.

Cat

Written By: gemini61 on 06/02/04 at 6:33 pm

I really don't go to them anymore but I have been to:

Riverside Park (now Great Adventure, New England-Agwam, Mass)
Mountain Park (now defunct-in Holyoke, Mass)
Storytown (now Great Escape-in Lake George, NY)
Gaslight Village (now defunct-in Lake George, NY)
Great Adventure (in NJ)
Six Flags over Texas
Disneyland (in Calif)
Santa's Land (in Putney, VT)
Santa's Workshop (in North Pole, NY)
The Big E (in West Springfield, Mass-but more of a fair than an amusement park)

There may have been more but that is all I can think of right now.

I don't like roller coasters either. They did manage to get me on one of those loopdy loop ones at Six Flags. I think I still left my voice up there (yes, I am a screamer on those things). I also once saw the roller coaster tip over at Riverside. It was before they started up the hill (thank goodness). It is scared the stuffing out of me. We were sitting on a bench right near there when it happened.

Cat
Wow, you've been to alot of them huh! I've been to Busch Gardens in Williamsburg VA, Disneyworld, Cedar Point in Ohio, which is my favorite one (over Kings Island), and Lasourdsville in Ohio (now defunct). But as for the Roller Coaster thing, I was talked into going on the Vortex at Kings Island a few years ago, and while you're on it they take your picture which you can look at when you get off the ride or buy, but anyway, oh my god, I was freaking out the whole time and my picture was hilarious! I looked like I had just seen a ghost, it scared the holy crap out of me!! My husband was cracking up of course! He always ends up riding with strangers because I won't! Glad I'm not the only one! :)

Written By: Mordor on 06/02/04 at 8:36 pm

not since they closed Rocky Point :\'(...........sniff sniff

Written By: lebeiw15 on 06/02/04 at 8:59 pm

I usually go to a local one at least once every summer.  I have been to it probably six or seven times now.  It's cool.  I used to be scared of roller coasters, too, until a friend finally made me get on one.  After that, I couldn't stop riding them! ;)

Written By: nally on 06/02/04 at 10:54 pm

I used to go to them all the time growing up. Usually we would go somewhere like Disneyland or Knott's Berry Farm. I've only been to Six Flags Magic Mountain a few times, most recently in October of 1997 for my senior class picnic.

As for roller coasters, I've never been wild and crazy about those. My parents don't care for them either. I have absolutely no desire to go on any of them, especially those that make upside-down loops; they never appealed to me. However, I did go on Colossus (at Magic Mountain) at my senior class picnic; my friends convinced me that it would be fun, so I went on it with them and actually enjoyed it. (But I was a bit scared at first.) But still, I'm not a big roller coaster fan.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 06/03/04 at 2:50 am

This weekend I'll probably take my kids to the 50th State Fair.  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/03/04 at 10:44 am

On which one?  I hope you started with something tame like the Eagle or Whizzer.  My oldest absolutely loves them and my middle one likes them as long as they don't go upside down.

I take the kids every year to Six Flags Great America in Gurnee, IL.  Next Tues, we are going on a family vacation to Cedar Point.  I've also been to Kings Dominion, Busch Gardens, Disney World, Six Flags over Mid America (in MO), Six Flags over Texas and the one in Hershey PA.

You reminded me of one that I forgot on my list-Hershey Park.

Cat

Written By: Jessica on 06/03/04 at 11:07 am

There is only one amusement park I like going to: the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk. It's not outrageously overpriced (if you're not going to ride anything, it's free to get in), there is a lot of games to play (including minigolf), there are tons of shops, AND it's right next to the beach.

I've been to Six Flags Great America in, but I didn't like it all. Too overpriced and overcrowded. :P

There is also another amusement park that I want to visit because of the way it's set up. It's called Bonfante Gardens and the landscaping around it is beautiful. They have something called "puzzle trees" which are the neatest things. One of the trees grows in the shape of a heart. :o

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/04/04 at 1:27 pm

Didja ride in the kisses?  I was only about 7 and that's what I remember most about HP. ;D

I don't remember. We went when I was really little and then again as a class trip in my senior year.

I just remembered another park I went to as a kid-Dorney Park in Allentown, PA (or was it Bethlaham-can't remember)

Cat

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 08/09/06 at 5:52 pm

I try, but this summer I've just visited the waterslides...

Written By: lorac61469 on 08/10/06 at 8:56 am

I've been to quite a few over the years.

This summer we went to Carowinds in NC, Tweetsie Railroad in NC, and Dollywood in Tn..

I like rollercoasters but I can not do anything that goes 'round and 'round.  My daughter got me on the Til-A-Whirl and I thought I was gonna puke.  Not pleasant.  LOL!!

Check for new replies or respond here...