inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Dream Another Dream...This Dream Is Over!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/07/04 at 12:10 pm

Well everyone, I blew the interview....they liked the demo tape but I screwed up reading stuff from pages fast enough. Guess I'm better at making stuff up as I go but they wanted a "Robot"....oh well, on to the next thing life throws my way ::)

Subject: Re: Dream Another Dream...This Dream Is Over!

Written By: pennsygirl on 06/07/04 at 12:20 pm

Oh, RRF, I'm so sorry to hear that it didn't go well.  But you know, it's better that you at least gave it a shot, rather than wonder "what if" for the rest of your life.  If these people wanted a robot, than you're better off without them.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/07/04 at 12:29 pm

Oh, RRF, I'm so sorry to hear that it didn't go well.  But you know, it's better that you at least gave it a shot, rather than wonder "what if" for the rest of your life.  If these people wanted a robot, than you're better off without them.
Thanks, Pennsygirl. They really wanted me to be a robot/Monkey....you know...to push those buttons ::)....at least now I have a good excuse to get wasted today....after I soberly drive home from the library!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/07/04 at 12:54 pm

Sorry to hear that R&RF. But at least you gave it a shot. Chalk it up to experence.

Cat

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/07/04 at 1:06 pm

Sorry to hear that R&RF. But at least you gave it a shot. Chalk it up to experence.

Cat
I'm trying to stay tough....thatnks, Cat ;)

Written By: Jessica on 06/07/04 at 1:12 pm

I thought that was the point of radio...to be ORIGINAL. Pushing buttons and reading the traffic updates isn't very original. These people need to get with it and realize what they passed up.

Written By: pennsygirl on 06/07/04 at 1:21 pm

I thought that was the point of radio...to be ORIGINAL. Pushing buttons and reading the traffic updates isn't very original. These people need to get with it and realize what they passed up.

Radio people seems to be getting as plastic as TV news people.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/07/04 at 1:43 pm

RockandRollFan is da man !  8)

Kudos to you for giving it a shot!  Lots of people would not have even tried out for fear of failing.  You went in there and showed 'em what you got... and what you don't.

Worse things in life than "not being a good robot".  If a robot is what they want, you would have been bored to death.  I wouldn't consider this "scewing up" at all !

Your talent I think is of the more "spontaneous" type like a Good Day Live situation, instead of a contrived "talking head" reading the news.

LB

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 06/07/04 at 2:52 pm

Sorry to hear about that.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/07/04 at 4:35 pm

Kind and Caring as always....Thanks, Jess http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0304/liebe/love-smiley-024.gif

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/07/04 at 4:40 pm

RockandRollFan is da man !  8)

Kudos to you for giving it a shot!  Lots of people would not have even tried out for fear of failing.  You went in there and showed 'em what you got... and what you don't.

Worse things in life than "not being a good robot".  If a robot is what they want, you would have been bored to death.  I wouldn't consider this "scewing up" at all !

Your talent I think is of the more "spontaneous" type like a Good Day Live situation, instead of a contrived "talking head" reading the news.

LB
Thanks, LB :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/07/04 at 4:41 pm

Sorry to hear about that.
I appreciate that, PopCultureGirl ;)

Written By: SuperFreak on 06/07/04 at 4:53 pm

I'm really sorry about that, RnRfan. But i do thank you for giving me the courage to start posting again. I revived the soap thread and am sorry that i stirred up all the mess :-[

Written By: Bobby on 06/07/04 at 5:46 pm

Oh man! I'm so sorry.  :\'(

However, I am agreeing with Lyricboy and everyone else who posted on the thread. It took a lot of guts and you stepped up to the plate. You didn't fail as such, they just required a less flexible approach to the job in hand that's all.  :)

The way I see it, you did more than a thousand other people who thought about going for the same application but never gave it a try. I don't think your dream is lost, you may realise how specific you want your dream to be, RockandRollFan. For example, I would love to be a film director but if I was directing documentaries that would bore me rigid! Not the best analogy I know, but the only one that popped out of my head.  ;D

Well done for giving it a go.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/07/04 at 5:54 pm

Oh man! I'm so sorry.  :\'(

However, I am agreeing with Lyricboy and everyone else who posted on the thread. It took a lot of guts and you stepped up to the plate. You didn't fail as such, they just required a less flexible approach to the job in hand that's all.  :)

The way I see it, you did more than a thousand other people who thought about going for the same application but never gave it a try. I don't think your dream is lost, you may realise how specific you want your dream to be, RockandRollFan. For example, I would love to be a film director but if I was directing documentaries that would bore me rigid! Not the best analogy I know, but the only one that popped out of my head.  ;D

Well done for giving it a go.
Thanks Bobby, and the analogy was just fine ;)

Written By: Dagwood on 06/07/04 at 6:54 pm

I am proud of you for giving it a shot...sorry it didn't work out.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/07/04 at 7:23 pm

I am proud of you for giving it a shot...sorry it didn't work out.
Thanks Dagny ;)

Written By: resinchaser on 06/07/04 at 10:37 pm

Sorry man. You deserve better than being just a script reading button pusher anyway :)

Written By: Fred on 06/08/04 at 12:21 am

It was awsome that you tryed RnRF! Just a question here, what do you exactly say and do on a demo tape? I always thought you have to pretend your on air or something? Is this true?

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/08/04 at 12:17 pm

It was awsome that you tryed RnRF! Just a question here, what do you exactly say and do on a demo tape? I always thought you have to pretend your on air or something? Is this true?
Typically, yeah...and I mixed in the beginning and end of some tunes and "Talked" about them. They only wanted a 5 minute tape with LOTS of promotional talk about the station...contests and stuff like that. BTW Thanks, Fred :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/08/04 at 12:18 pm

Sorry man. You deserve better than being just a script reading button pusher anyway :)
Thanks resinchaser...yesterday really sucked AND it got worse when TB "Won" the cup ::)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 06/08/04 at 12:30 pm

I agree! 

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 06/08/04 at 12:32 pm

Sorry that it didn't work out for you, Mark.  But you'd want a job that you're happy doing, and I don't think you'd be happy speed-reading in between song breaks on a radio.  :-\\

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/08/04 at 12:41 pm

I agree! 
;)

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/08/04 at 1:49 pm

More and more, smaller radio stations are REALLY cutting back on the on-air talent.  Many stations now are "computerized" stations that play a preprogrammed playlist and advertisements, etc.

Some programming guy just sets everything up and it runs.

Pretty crappy, I know.  But I guess as long as they make money that way, so be it.

With the advent of XM satellite radio for cars, I suspect that radio ad revenues are going to start dropping, and you will see more automated or "human robot" operations.  :-\\

Written By: Rio_Rhodes on 06/08/04 at 1:56 pm

I'm so sorry it didn't work out!!!!!

At least you tried though!!! I haven't even gotten far enough to make a demo yet! Oh well!

You gave it a shot and thats what matters!!!!

Rio

Written By: Howard on 06/08/04 at 6:09 pm

Don't worry you'll try again! ;)

Howard

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/08/04 at 7:56 pm

I'm so sorry it didn't work out!!!!!

At least you tried though!!! I haven't even gotten far enough to make a demo yet! Oh well!

You gave it a shot and thats what matters!!!!

Rio
Thanks Rio_Rhodes! YOU need to get that tape made and go for it....don't wait to be my age ::)

Written By: mandamoo on 06/09/04 at 5:23 am

I'm sorry to hear it didn't work out R&RF. :(

Written By: Powerslave on 06/09/04 at 6:05 am

Good on you for giving it a shot RNR. Unfortunately as I said in the other thread, the days of the "disc jockey" talking about their fave tunes is long over. The guys on the radio here don't even back announce songs now. They just play them between talking about themselves and how fantastic the station is. Radio hasn't cared about music in a long time. Now they just laugh at their own (bad) jokes, make fun of people who ring in and promote idiotic contests.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/09/04 at 12:06 pm

Don't worry you'll try again! ;)

Howard
Thanks Howard, but that was my "Swan Song" ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/09/04 at 12:07 pm

I'm sorry to hear it didn't work out R&RF. :(
Thanks, mandamoo ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/09/04 at 12:11 pm

Good on you for giving it a shot RNR. Unfortunately as I said in the other thread, the days of the "disc jockey" talking about their fave tunes is long over. The guys on the radio here don't even back announce songs now. They just play them between talking about themselves and how fantastic the station is. Radio hasn't cared about music in a long time. Now they just laugh at their own (bad) jokes, make fun of people who ring in and promote idiotic contests.
Sad but true, Powerslave. I yearn for the past...when even the ficticious station "WKRP In Cincinnati" was fun :D

Written By: Fred on 06/09/04 at 11:08 pm

Typically, yeah...and I mixed in the beginning and end of some tunes and "Talked" about them. They only wanted a 5 minute tape with LOTS of promotional talk about the station...contests and stuff like that. BTW Thanks, Fred :)

No problem, man. Thanks for clearing up a demo tape for me.  ;)

Written By: Indy Gent on 06/10/04 at 3:17 pm

Screw them. They suck anyway. They probably want a pretty female. Don't give up on your dream, if you really want them. My DJ career was aborted right after I graduated from CSB (Columbia School of Braodcasting). They're are plenty of stations looking for new talent. In fact, half of the jock talent currently employed can't speak a lick of English without stumbling. Never give up hope. ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...