inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Welfare Checks, and the Disabled

Written By: MasterSplinter on 06/10/04 at 1:04 pm

Maybe it's just me, that thinks this,
but for the Disabled, Mentally and or Physically, who are INCAPABLE of living on their own, and live in Residences or Institutions, they should be able to Get
Welfare Checks in addition to Disability(SSI)
When you think about it, it seems as if they are deprived Welfare, because they are Incapable of living on their own. And that seems like a form of
Discrimination, those individuals have bad enough luck as it is, and they deserve all the money they can get.

Subject: Re: Welfare Checks, and the Disabled

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/10/04 at 2:33 pm

Those checks are supposed to provide someone with a place to live, food etc. If someone lives in a residence, those things are provided to them by the institution. Also, there are some people who can't (don't know how to) handle money. They wouldn't know what to do with a check. I once knew this guy who was mentally handicapped. He was in his 40s but he didn't have the capacity to understand the concept of money. He would think because nickels were bigger, they were worth more than dimes. I really don't think it would be in that person's best interest if they were handed a check.

Cat

Written By: MasterSplinter on 06/10/04 at 4:31 pm

Those checks are supposed to provide someone with a place to live, food etc. If someone lives in a residence, those things are provided to them by the institution. Also, there are some people who can't (don't know how to) handle money. They wouldn't know what to do with a check. I once knew this guy who was mentally handicapped. He was in his 40s but he didn't have the capacity to understand the concept of money. He would think because nickels were bigger, they were worth more than dimes. I really don't think it would be in that person's best interest if they were handed a check.

Cat

Yes, but each person is an Individual, and their situation is different.

Also,
Just Curious, How many Americans Receive SSI? Disability Benefits.

I was in a Restaurant one time, and this woman was talking about she has to go on SSI?

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/10/04 at 7:10 pm

Cat

Cat,

I used to work with a guy who had a very unusual emotional problem.  To the average coworker he was a very normal, productive, friendly guy.  Cool dude.  Did great work too.

But he had this one problem.  On payday, he somehow got "delusions" that he was an extremely wealthy man, and would literally give almost his entire paycheck away.

After he was diagnosed, the solution was simple.  The company hand-delivered his paycheck to his wife, who administered the funds.  That kept everyone happy (except the guys who he was giving his money away to).

Written By: Howard on 06/10/04 at 7:49 pm

I recieve SSI every month.2 checks.

Howard

Written By: Powerslave on 06/11/04 at 6:13 am

I would think that if someone is incapacitated to the extent that they need to have permanent carers or are institutionalised, then it should be the carers that receive something for looking after them, particularly if those carers are family members who care for the person at home because they can't afford an institution or there are no spaces available in one nearby.

Written By: MasterSplinter on 06/11/04 at 11:31 am

Howard: I though SSI was just one check a Month.?
If it's Ok that I ask, do you get Welfare also?

Written By: MasterSplinter on 06/11/04 at 11:32 am

I just remembered a Story on TV, about a Man that sued a Bar over "Ladies Night" claiming it was Reverse Discrimination because he is a Man.. He couldn't get the drinks free or something like that.

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 06/11/04 at 6:51 pm

Maybe it's just me, that thinks this,
but for the Disabled, Mentally and or Physically, who are INCAPABLE of living on their own, and live in Residences or Institutions, they should be able to Get
Welfare Checks in addition to Disability(SSI)
When you think about it, it seems as if they are deprived Welfare, because they are Incapable of living on their own. And that seems like a form of
Discrimination, those individuals have bad enough luck as it is, and they deserve all the money they can get.

I'm sorry, but I find this extremely condescending!! I, as a disabled person, am insulted and offended that someone would even think that disabled people are incapable of living on their own!! I've been on my own for 12 years and I'm doing quite well, thank you very much!! And we don't need anyone's sympathy. We need all the money we can get? How come? Because we're crippled?? There are jobs out there for disabled people, but usually they're crap jobs. Call centres. Tedious office work. I suppose it's better than nothing...that is, if we even get hired for them! The real discrimination lies with employers who look at someone in a wheelchair (like me) or someone with a developmental disability, think "Oh right, as if they can do the job!" and then lie through their teeth and say, "Oh, I'm sorry...we're not looking for anyone right now," or, "I'm sorry, but you don't meet our qualifications"...just so they can save their arses from getting sued!!

OK, I don't know how it is in the States, or even the rest of Canada (everyone's different), but here, you can qualify for assistance (welfare) if you're unemployed or you make less than what they'd give you if you're unemployed (they'd supplement your income). Also, if you're disabled, they give you extra money for incentive and for travel expenses. It's not luxury living, but at least it puts food on the table, gives you rent for a place to live, pays the bills, and maybe you might have money left over for entertainment. Yes, I do feel we should get more money because what we get doesn't quite match the cost of living. Disabled people here who are incapable of working are on Disability Benefits, but since I'm not on that, I don't know anything about it.

MasterSplinter (or whoever you really are)...I suggest you stop trying to be some sort of saviour or crusader for people you know nothing about. Maybe once you've taken a walk in our shoes (or a roll in our wheelchairs, so to speak) will I ever give your rants any merit.

Absolutely Vile

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/11/04 at 7:08 pm

I'm sorry, but I find this extremely condescending!! I, as a disabled person, am insulted and offended that someone would even think that disabled people are incapable of living on their own!! I've been on my own for 12 years and I'm doing quite well, thank you very much!! And we don't need anyone's sympathy. We need all the money we can get? How come? Because we're crippled?? There are jobs out there for disabled people, but usually they're crap jobs. Call centres. Tedious office work. I suppose it's better than nothing...that is, if we even get hired for them! The real discrimination lies with employers who look at someone in a wheelchair (like me) or someone with a developmental disability, think "Oh right, as if they can do the job!" and then lie through their teeth and say, "Oh, I'm sorry...we're not looking for anyone right now," or, "I'm sorry, but you don't meet our qualifications"...just so they can save their arses from getting sued!!

OK, I don't know how it is in the States, or even the rest of Canada (everyone's different), but here, you can qualify for assistance (welfare) if you're unemployed or you make less than what they'd give you if you're unemployed (they'd supplement your income). Also, if you're disabled, they give you extra money for incentive and for travel expenses. It's not luxury living, but at least it puts food on the table, gives you rent for a place to live, pays the bills, and maybe you might have money left over for entertainment. Yes, I do feel we should get more money because what we get doesn't quite match the cost of living. Disabled people here who are incapable of working are on Disability Benefits, but since I'm not on that, I don't know anything about it.

MasterSplinter (or whoever you really are)...I suggest you stop trying to be some sort of saviour or crusader for people you know nothing about. Maybe once you've taken a walk in our shoes (or a roll in our wheelchairs, so to speak) will I ever give your rants any merit.

Absolutely Vile

You go, girl.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 06/11/04 at 7:37 pm

Howard: I though SSI was just one check a Month.?
If it's Ok that I ask, do you get Welfare also?

Since I'm not working I'm getting 2 checks a month.Plus they raised my amount.My Mother is also taken some for her rent as well.

Howard

Written By: Bobby on 06/11/04 at 7:38 pm

I remember going for job interviews and I had to fill in an equality form! If a job really is about equal employment for all, why should they ask you for your race and if you have a disability? If it's all fair game then surely they shouldn't need to monitor the people they interview.  ::)

As for your post in general, Vile, well done. I don't understand why MasterSplinter has this thing about getting money for disability. Unless (correct me if I'm wrong) MasterSplinter is ranting on about not getting money for his own disability.

MasterSplinter, here is a little history for you. I got diagnosed with depression in 1998 and my doctor wouldn't allow me to take disability allowance because he believed that it wouldn't encourage me to get out of the house. I didn't like it at the time but after a couple of months, I understood what this doctor was saying to me. From there, I had a few rubbish jobs and bad experiences but I am now in a position of relative financial security. If I wasn't working, I would get unemployment benefit (last time I recieved it I got 45 quid (85 dollars?) a week) and that would be to keep me alive and fund my search for work. If I recieved disability benefit, I would have no motivation to look for a job, get stuck in a rut, feel more depressed, get disability benefit ad nauseum . . .

Written By: pennsygirl on 06/12/04 at 10:46 am

Absolutely Vile

Well said Vile!  I wish everyone thought the way you do.

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 06/12/04 at 11:11 am

Well said Vile!  I wish everyone thought the way you do.

Thanks! I guess you can't really know what it's like 'til you've lived it. You have no idea how many people I've come across, even in real life, who think they're doing me a favour by trying to "help" in much the same way this guy is.

And don't even get me started on telethons!

Absolutely Vile

Try walking in my shoes. You'd stumble in my footsteps. - Depeche Mode

Written By: Hairspray on 06/13/04 at 12:22 am

There are jobs out there for disabled people, but usually they're crap jobs. Call centres. Tedious office work. I suppose it's better than nothing...that is, if we even get hired for them! The real discrimination lies with employers who look at someone in a wheelchair (like me) or someone with a developmental disability, think "Oh right, as if they can do the job!" and then lie through their teeth and say, "Oh, I'm sorry...we're not looking for anyone right now," or, "I'm sorry, but you don't meet our qualifications"...just so they can save their arses from getting sued!!

Absolutely Vile

Firstly - You go girl!

Lastly - In reference to the above quote on job discrimination and the disabled: Wal-Mart's pretty good about hiring the disabled and giving decent jobs and pay.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/13/04 at 1:10 am

Lastly - In reference to the above quote on job discrimination and the disabled: Wal-Mart's pretty good about hiring the disabled and giving decent jobs and pay.

Surely you jest, Hairspray.

Don't you know that the labour unions have portrayed Wal-Mart as an Evil Empire ?

;D

Written By: Hairspray on 06/13/04 at 1:20 am

Don't you know that the labour unions have portrayed Wal-Mart as an Evil Empire ?

;D

Be that as it may; I see the very many "special people" and disabled people working decent jobs in Wal-Mart were these people prove to be happy, independent, useful human beings and contributors to society. They are respected and treated like everyone else and there's a great dignity in all of that.

Written By: resinchaser on 06/13/04 at 2:06 am

;D

I don't care what anyone says. I have personally been burned by the Teamsters and I can honestly say that they are nothing but a money hungry bunch of ******! So when any union says that they are fighting for the rights of the working man, I say bull, they are only fighting for the almighty dollar just like the big evil empires.

Written By: Bobby on 06/14/04 at 5:23 am

As someone who used to work in HR, many companies keep the applications on file and refer to them when a new opening occurs, which someone with a disability may not be able to do.  (This actually happened to me where I phoned someone for a position in one of hte stores and set up an interview.  Turns out, it was to stock shelves.  When she arrived, she was in a wheelchair.  No offense, but there is no way she could stock upper shelves so we had to pass.  However a sales position came open a couple days later at a different store and she was hired for that.)

If that is the only reason companies keep these 'Equal opportunities' forms then I am happy with that.  :)

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/14/04 at 11:03 am

If that is the only reason companies keep these 'Equal opportunities' forms then I am happy with that.  :)

In my experience the "equal opportunity" forms are not mandatory as a point of law.

Companies do keep these statistics so that they can show that:

1) They are seeking candidates of all races/abilities, by % of responding applicants

2) They are hiring candidates of all races/abilities.....

Of course all of this assumes that no falsification is going on.

Written By: Bobby on 06/14/04 at 8:23 pm

In my experience the "equal opportunity" forms are not mandatory as a point of law.

Companies do keep these statistics so that they can show that:

1) They are seeking candidates of all races/abilities, by % of responding applicants

2) They are hiring candidates of all races/abilities.....

Of course all of this assumes that no falsification is going on.

Oh. If it's a matter of insuring themselves then I suppose that's fine.  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...