inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Poverty does NOT necessarily mean Unhappiness

Written By: MasterSplinter on 06/12/04 at 5:06 pm

Their are probably tens of millions of people in America alone, who knows maybe over 100 million, who are living in Poverty, some might not even be aware of the fact they are living in Poverty, they might be perfectly CONTENT, and Happy, as long as their BASIC needs are met(Food,Clothing,Shelter)

Does anyone here know of anyone who is officially living in Poverty and is Perfectly content and Happy?

A book once said "Would you rather have 90 percent of  10,000 dollars, or  10 percent of 40 Billion dollars"?

The book is entitled "Wake up, your'e liberal"

The Tax system in this country is terrible.

Subject: Re: Poverty does NOT necessarily mean Unhappiness

Written By: Bobby on 06/12/04 at 6:33 pm

I seem to remember being happy in my childhood most of the time and both parents were out of work then. My family and childhood ignorance was what made me happy.  :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/12/04 at 6:50 pm

I seem to remember being happy in my childhood most of the time and both parents were out of work then. My family and childhood ignorance was what made me happy.  :)
I know it makes me feel good to hear my boys tell me the same thing, Bobby! Me and my ex lived in the same house from July '88 until last year (When we filed for divorce) and all of us have many great memories of our time there. I remember going out to Nebraska with my son Randall in 1998, to visit my brother. Bill is a dentist and was telling me on one of our walks, that he envies ME! I told him he was crazy...he makes about $150,ooo per year and I barely was getting by, but he told me he'd rather know how to survive like I do. That made me feel good...but I still think he's crazy ::)

Written By: Bobby on 06/12/04 at 7:17 pm

I know it makes me feel good to hear my boys tell me the same thing, Bobby! Me and my ex lived in the same house from July '88 until last year (When we filed for divorce) and all of us have many great memories of our time there. I remember going out to Nebraska with my son Randall in 1998, to visit my brother. Bill is a dentist and was telling me on one of our walks, that he envies ME! I told him he was crazy...he makes about $150,ooo per year and I barely was getting by, but he told me he'd rather know how to survive like I do. That made me feel good...but I still think he's crazy ::)

Isn't it amazing that people seem to wish for what somebody else has? Whether it's good looks, money, certain characteristics or personality. That man said that to you because, despite earning 150 thousand dollars a year, he seemed to be lacking in some way. It serves a testament to how you live your life RockandRollFan.  :)

You may find this a little original, RockandRollFan but I mainly include my two sisters and brother as 'family' in this context. That was the unit that kept me going (despite not appreciating them at the time - typical heh?). My parents were self destructing while married to each other (they married and divorced twice (!)) and they rarely took any notice of us as such. Don't get me wrong, they provided just about, but the only thing that made me happy about the pair of them was that during my early childhood they were together (albeit a seperation in 1985 that lasted almost a year I think). They finally seperated in October/November 1990 and we as children were split up, me and my brother went to live with my dad, nan and grandad and uncle and my sisters stayed with my mum.

Written By: Marian on 06/12/04 at 7:37 pm

;DThere's someguys who live under the bridge or in shacks at the farm who seem pretty easy-going.Cheers!

Written By: Dagwood on 06/12/04 at 9:35 pm

Money isn't everything.  I am happy with shelter, food in my cupboards and a job.  The important things in my life are my God and my daughter...money can't buy either one.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/13/04 at 12:01 am

AMEN!  Trust me, I've lived on both sides of the fence.  It can be difficult on either side.  When you don't have money, you truly value the important things like health, family, etc.  When you DO have money, it seems that your values change to more material things.
That is so true, 80s_cheerleader. My brother never seems very happy....and though I get depressed often, I always seem to find my way back :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/13/04 at 12:05 am

Isn't it amazing that people seem to wish for what somebody else has? Whether it's good looks, money, certain characteristics or personality. That man said that to you because, despite earning 150 thousand dollars a year, he seemed to be lacking in some way. It serves a testament to how you live your life RockandRollFan.  :)

You may find this a little original, RockandRollFan but I mainly include my two sisters and brother as 'family' in this context. That was the unit that kept me going (despite not appreciating them at the time - typical heh?). My parents were self destructing while married to each other (they married and divorced twice (!)) and they rarely took any notice of us as such. Don't get me wrong, they provided just about, but the only thing that made me happy about the pair of them was that during my early childhood they were together (albeit a seperation in 1985 that lasted almost a year I think). They finally seperated in October/November 1990 and we as children were split up, me and my brother went to live with my dad, nan and grandad and uncle and my sisters stayed with my mum.

I feel for you and your family, Bobby. Me and my ex were OFTEN told over the years that we should never have stayed together for the sake of the kids but we just happened to be able to somehow make it work out. That isn't always the case though...once Blaine was murdered EVERYTHING changed and after a brief closeness, we drifted :-\\

Written By: My name is Kenny on 06/13/04 at 12:07 am

It's never that simple.  It is never, ever ever ever ever ever that simple.

Written By: Bobby on 06/13/04 at 7:36 am

I feel for you and your family, Bobby. Me and my ex were OFTEN told over the years that we should never have stayed together for the sake of the kids but we just happened to be able to somehow make it work out. That isn't always the case though...once Blaine was murdered EVERYTHING changed and after a brief closeness, we drifted :-\\

Thanks. Yes, when relationships do break down and there are kids involved I guess it could become a no-win situation, RockandRollFan. That must have been a very tough decision for you to take on. I think there are two ways kids can feel better about the situation . . .

1. If they know they can see either parent at any time and that they know their parents love them. Admittedly, I didn't want to see my mother at the time and saw my dad as my 'saviour' - temporarily.  ;)

2. Reduce insulting each other in front of the children. Kids need to feel reinforced about who their role models are. My mum and dad slung mud at each other constantly and did anything they could to get back at each other. Of course, this caused me to become cynical about society at the time.

I'm sorry I've got too personal about my life.

Written By: jaytee on 06/13/04 at 8:26 am

It's never that simple.  It is never, ever ever ever ever ever that simple.

I second that.

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/13/04 at 5:08 pm

I agree with this assertion.  I would suggest that poverty is relative.  If you and your kids are starving, that is clearly poverty , but most of us have experianced a lack of the funds we would like to have had.  I think that our circumstances, our emotional support networks, our satisfaction with what we do on the typical day, all of that and more, contribute to how we respond to our financial situation.  I had a friend where I use to live who owned his own (fairly dilapidated) home and had very little money income because he was disabled.  He hunted in 3 zones in NY and usually but at least 1 deer in his freezer, along with other game, he fished, and his family did some heavy gardening or light farming.  All that, + his disability payments and what his wife could make gave them a fairly happy life.  Urban poverty, on the other hand present few opportunities for self preservation.

Written By: philbo on 06/13/04 at 5:13 pm

The book is entitled "Wake up, your'e liberal"

Really?  Sounds like it ought to be a parody to "Brush up your Shakespeare"

Poverty on its own doesn't mean unhappiness, but poverty in the face of rampant consumerism, with adverts telling us what we "need" in order to have a happy life... now that's a different matter.

In a similar vein, riches don't mean happiness, either.  But I wouldn't mind betting I'd have a better time finding happiness with the money than without ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/13/04 at 6:47 pm

Thanks. Yes, when relationships do break down and there are kids involved I guess it could become a no-win situation, RockandRollFan. That must have been a very tough decision for you to take on. I think there are two ways kids can feel better about the situation . . .

1. If they know they can see either parent at any time and that they know their parents love them. Admittedly, I didn't want to see my mother at the time and saw my dad as my 'saviour' - temporarily.  ;)

2. Reduce insulting each other in front of the children. Kids need to feel reinforced about who their role models are. My mum and dad slung mud at each other constantly and did anything they could to get back at each other. Of course, this caused me to become cynical about society at the time.

I'm sorry I've got too personal about my life.
Please do NOT apologize, Bobby! I along with many others here are listening and will be supportive...after all, I've always found this to be a very caring place. As for your situation...I can totally relate. Me and my ex were at it constantly towards the end...got much worse after our son died. Anyway, my boys have been very strong and thanked both of us for trying but ultimately letting each other go ;)

Written By: Bobby on 06/13/04 at 7:18 pm

Please do NOT apologize, Bobby! I along with many others here are listening and will be supportive...after all, I've always found this to be a very caring place. As for your situation...I can totally relate. Me and my ex were at it constantly towards the end...got much worse after our son died. Anyway, my boys have been very strong and thanked both of us for trying but ultimately letting each other go ;)

Thanks. That is very nice to know.  :)

I'm so glad your sons are happy with both you and your ex's efforts. It must have been very difficult balancing your own priorities with those of the people you love. Your sons must have a good sense of character.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/13/04 at 9:29 pm

Thanks. That is very nice to know.  :)

I'm so glad your sons are happy with both you and your ex's efforts. It must have been very difficult balancing your own priorities with those of the people you love. Your sons must have a good sense of character.
That is very kind of you to say, Bobby. I am indeed lucky to have such wonderful children...Thanks ;)

Written By: pennsygirl on 06/14/04 at 1:14 pm

You can have all the money in the world and not have the things to make you happy.

My husband and I are not rich by any stretch of the imagination, we make it ok financially.  My brother and his wife, on the other hand, both make 6 figures, live in a beautiful home, take several trips a year, and seem to want for nothing.  Yet the last time my mom visited (she lives with them), she told me that my husband and I are much better off and have alot more in other ways than my brother and his wife.   Neither of them ever look happy and seem to be apart more than they are together. She said what we have money can't buy.  And you know, she's right. 

Check for new replies or respond here...