inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What is "Goodwill"? When people say, they gave to Goodwill

Written By: MasterSplinter on 06/12/04 at 5:11 pm

When people say that they gave to "Goodwill"?
What exactly do they mean, is that a Charity, like the Salvation Army.

Subject: Re: What is "Goodwill"? When people say, they gave to Goodwill

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/12/04 at 5:24 pm

When people say that they gave to "Goodwill"?
What exactly do they mean, is that a Charity, like the Salvation Army.

Goodwill Industries is a not-for-profit group that provides jobs and job training to people who are poor and/or have some kind of disability.

When you donate stuff to Goodwill, they will clean it up or fix it up, and then sell it in their stores.  The stores provide jobs for their clients, and the money received from the goods they sell are used to support the training and job programs.

For more info see their website:  http://www.goodwill.org/

Written By: Marian on 06/12/04 at 7:28 pm

Goodwill Industries is a not-for-profit group that provides jobs and job training to people who are poor and/or have some kind of disability.

When you donate stuff to Goodwill, they will clean it up or fix it up, and then sell it in their stores.  The stores provide jobs for their clients, and the money received from the goods they sell are used to support the training and job programs.

For more info see their website:  http://www.goodwill.org/
:o :o :oA few years ago,several people working as managers at Goodwill were arrested for embezzeling over a million dollars from there,including  5 sisters i think.It's too bad cause they were really good at arranging merchandise by color and making the store look nice,and things you want easy to find.The people who do it now aren't as good.One of the sisters was the manager at the store close to my home.I think Goodwill is a little too picky about condition of clothing they get--at salvation army,they use it to make paper and stufflike that,if it's too worn to sell.A lady i know is kind of mad at Goodwill because they make enough money to put nice display ads in the paper--she runs a consignment store,and can't afford the same kinds of ads.I try to give stuff to salvation Army or Discovery Shop whenever possible.Cheers!

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 06/14/04 at 8:35 am

A friend of mine practically furnished her whole house with stuff she bought from the Goodwill.  I was shocked when I found that out, cuz she has some REALLY nice trendy furniture in her home! :o  She said when she shops there, she keeps in mind that she can always clean it, stain it, paint it or re-upholster it.  And she did a great job!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/14/04 at 10:58 am

I volunteer for a non-profit orginazation. We don't have a store like Goodwill or Salvation Army (because of our lack of space but the idea has been thought of many, many times). However, one week every October we do have a clothing drive. I like to call it a "clothing exchange". We have it in a bingo hall and all the tables are piled high with clothing. Volunteers sort and fold clothing and people come in to choose what they want. We do not charge for any of the clothing. There is just one problem I have with this clothing drive- I would bring in a box or two of clothing and bring home about 3 or 4.  :o  I have found some really nice stuff there-mostly sweaters because I LOVE sweaters. One year, a friends of mine found a really nice leather jacket. Some of the stuff still have price tags on them, others end up as rags or trash. There have been other items too-curtins, bathroom rugs, towels, etc. One year I even saw a baby seat. You never know. What is left at the end of the week is sent to other agencies. The last couple of years we found an orginazation that is located in Boston who comes up to collect what is left and sends the stuff over to Sierra Leone. Everyone benefits and I get to figured out how to fit all my new sweaters into my dresser which keeps getting smaller and smaller every year.  ;)

Cat

Written By: MasterSplinter on 06/14/04 at 11:09 am

Question: are all the people who work at the Goodwill disabled in some sense?

Do people who are Non-Disabled, or don't have a Disability can they work their?

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/14/04 at 11:15 am

Question: are all the people who work at the Goodwill disabled in some sense?

Do people who are Non-Disabled, or don't have a Disability can they work their?

Master...

I think that Goodwill also provides employment for people who traditionally have problems being employed, like homeless people, former convicts, people born to extreme poverty with little skills.  Not "just" for people with disabilities.

Written By: womberty on 06/14/04 at 1:14 pm

When you donate stuff to Goodwill, they will clean it up or fix it up, and then sell it in their stores.

Not lately ... the time I donated I saw on the back of the receipt that they don't accept broken items, and I'm not sure that they're going through the trouble of cleaning up donations, either. It might be because they aren't making enough money to pay for cleaning and repairs...

Written By: Echo Nomad on 03/08/06 at 3:37 pm

While it's still a good mission, I like donating used items to less popular thrift stores because they not only use the sales for good deeds, but sells to poorer customers as well. The usual senior thrift store located in an old grocery store in the seedier side of town is a good indication. What kinda puts me off about Goodwill is that 1- Their target is the more upper middle class rather than people who can't afford the more nicer clothes 2- They seem to be located in more "fresher" strip malls meaning that more of their profits go to upkeep. 

Written By: Howard on 03/08/06 at 3:47 pm

You could also volunteer or get a part time/full time job at Goodwill.

Check for new replies or respond here...