inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Should Andrew/MasterSplinter Be Banned Once More?

Written By: Hairspray on 06/14/04 at 12:06 am

OK, folks. Your help is much appreciated. Us Mods decided to once again leave it up to you.

Subject: Re: Should Andrew/MasterSplinter Be Banned Once More?

Written By: Bobo on 06/14/04 at 12:20 am

Funny, Hairspray, I was just about to write you an instant message to enquire as to how your mind was progressing in the matter.

We gave him lots of chances to behave on the previous software. He didn't abide.

I'm going to phrase the next part of my statement badly, Hairspray, and I hope that you understand it in the way it is intended.

I think sometimes (in previous incarnations of the board), we got people banned for a lot less than what Andrew has put the board through. Whether this has to do with the fact that annoying people are becoming much less intelligent nowadays, I have no idea, but that's beside the point.

Having given him the chance this time, (though some were not sure it was initially him), we now know that he cannot continue like this.

I apologise for this post. It's not my usual kind of wonderful happy post, and I understand if you edit or delete it, but I think that nothing's going to work unless we give him a full ban.

Sorry. :(

Written By: Hairspray on 06/14/04 at 12:24 am

I apologise for this post.

None necessary. Any and all opinions are welcome, provided the Forum Guidelines are followed, of course.

Written By: gumbypiz on 06/14/04 at 1:01 am

Sorry if I come off as a bad guy for saying this...

Had Andrew/MasterSplinter not been so sneaky/deceitful in his methods in returning to the messageboard, or had at least tried NOT to continue the behavior (multiple/duplicate posts, not responding to posts, etc.) that got him banned before, I would say give him a chance. At least if he were really trying…
Andrew needs some professional help, or needs better help then he is receiving and don’t believe this board or members on it are able to provide him any relief from his problems, probably just the opposite. Venting his fears, anger, problems here (and not to a qualified therapist) may be more harmful to him in the long run.
I don’t believe that members of the board should suffer because of his problems (if he is not willing to get treatment) as a result of mental illness if it requires us to be inconvenienced, annoyed or distracted from participating in the group. It’s simply not fair to others, and not what the purpose of this board/forum is for.

I’m sorry to say it, but if he is unable to conform to the rules of the messageboard and respect others, then he doesn’t belong in the group.

Andrew, please seek out some help or better help ASAP.
We all will be glad to see you return here once you have gained some control over your life.

Written By: karen on 06/14/04 at 3:42 am

I was just beginning to suspect this towards the end of last week.

I am still undecided about whether to ban him.  Until the middle of the week I didn't really notice many problem posts.  This shows, to me, that maybe some of the lesson had been learnt.  However, I guess a ban is a ban and we wouldn't welcome back other banned people just cos we'd changed the software.

Written By: Bobby on 06/14/04 at 5:32 am

Last time he was here I voted not to ban him. Now, he writes inflammatory posts about his psychiatrists ('if only I could get hold of his number and address I will beat the s..t out of him' - how wrong is this?) and about his parents ('they gave me OCD, I work full time but I give my parents nothing, I said to them 'I owe them nothing and nothing is what I owe' - how pathetic and disrespectful!).

I also agree with GumbyPiz, if MasterSplinter was straight-forward about his identity, I'm sure we could give the man another try.

All I can say is 'This could have been a lot better for you, Andrew but you spoiled it.'  :-\\

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 06/14/04 at 7:03 am

I say if he broke forum rules after being given a warning - then he should be banned. ???

Written By: pennsygirl on 06/14/04 at 7:55 am

Sorry if I come off as a bad guy for saying this...

Had Andrew/MasterSplinter not been so sneaky/deceitful in his methods in returning to the messageboard, or had at least tried NOT to continue the behavior (multiple/duplicate posts, not responding to posts, etc.) that got him banned before, I would say give him a chance. At least if he were really trying…
Andrew needs some professional help, or needs better help then he is receiving and don’t believe this board or members on it are able to provide him any relief from his problems, probably just the opposite. Venting his fears, anger, problems here (and not to a qualified therapist) may be more harmful to him in the long run.
I don’t believe that members of the board should suffer because of his problems (if he is not willing to get treatment) as a result of mental illness if it requires us to be inconvenienced, annoyed or distracted from participating in the group. It’s simply not fair to others, and not what the purpose of this board/forum is for.

I’m sorry to say it, but if he is unable to conform to the rules of the messageboard and respect others, then he doesn’t belong in the group.

Andrew, please seek out some help or better help ASAP.
We all will be glad to see you return here once you have gained some control over your life.

I agree 100% with gumbypiz.  Andrew/Master Splinter needs professional help to gain some control of his life.  We cannot provide that on this board.

Written By: Dagwood on 06/14/04 at 8:33 am

I think he should be banned...he is very disruptive and this new violent turn is very disturbing.

Written By: rubixgirl on 06/14/04 at 9:00 am

I think he should be banned...he is very disruptive and this new violent turn is very disturbing.
I agree. The violent tones in some of his posts are scary. :-\\

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/14/04 at 10:59 am

I agree 100% with gumbypiz.  Andrew/Master Splinter needs professional help to gain some control of his life.  We cannot provide that on this board.

I hear you, but does that mean that everyone who is not a mental-health professional should "ban" him IRL?  ???

Written By: MasterSplinter on 06/14/04 at 11:23 am

With all due respect I am NOT the same person as
Andrew.

But, I do NOT wish to be banned. I am conforming to the rules.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/14/04 at 11:31 am

Andrew.

Master,

I think people here are specifically upset with you making violent, threatening remarks about wanting to do bodily harm to a member of the health care community.  I believe that "making threatening comments" is a violation of the "Terms and Conditions" of this message board.

Does anyone know where I can find the T&C for this board?  I looked but could not find...

LB

Written By: Rush on 06/14/04 at 12:03 pm

He has seemed to have changed a bit since last time, but he is still repetitive!!! He is still venting about the medical profession and now his parents and some shrink he wants dead for putting him in a psych ward overnight (I personally think he needs to go back) .Check the OCD thread.  He needs help more than he needs to be on this board.  This just seems to be his place of venting.  I say ban him.....again.

I will say that he is right (somewhat) that he is not Andrew Coolest Talking Walnut Dude, but there is so much that is the same too and the violent tones are certainly a need of concern, but how would keeping him on this board help him....maybe someone should report him or something.

Written By: Rush on 06/14/04 at 12:25 pm

Master,

I think people here are specifically upset with you making violent, threatening remarks about wanting to do bodily harm to a member of the health care community.  I believe that "making threatening comments" is a violation of the "Terms and Conditions" of this message board.

Does anyone know where I can find the T&C for this board?  I looked but could not find...

LB

I would also say that making threatening remarks would be against the terms and conditions of his ISP too.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/14/04 at 12:34 pm

This is a tough call and I had trouble with it the first time around too. But, it is obvious that this guy needs some serious help-help that we can't provide for him here. I really don't know what the best course of action is.

Cat

Written By: Ripp on 06/14/04 at 12:43 pm

Give him another chance; thats why i voted please dont ban him.

But, MasterSplinter, this is your last chance.

Written By: Mangoo on 06/14/04 at 1:22 pm

I cant believe we have this problem...again.BAN HIM...before he comes up with more of his"whats your favorite police car or dinosaur posts"

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 06/14/04 at 1:37 pm

While I believe that there are certain other people who pose just as much a problem on this board who have not been dealt with (and who have also been banned before) as MasterSplinter, I think he should go, and so should other people who cause problems on these message boards.

But since we're on the subject of MasterSplinter...I do agree that he does need some serious help before he causes harm to himself or someone else. Threatening violence against someone in a public forum (even if it's not against someone on the forum) is serious, and someone should step in and do something. I think he needs to be more than banned. He should be reported to his ISP, and they can deal with him accordingly.

Absolutely Vile

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/14/04 at 1:37 pm

I cant believe we have this problem...again.BAN HIM...before he comes up with more of his"whats your favorite police car or dinosaur posts"

I don't think this poll is being held because of police car or dinosaur threads.  There are plenty of threads like that on these boards.

Written By: Cheetara on 06/14/04 at 2:24 pm

This is truly, truly sad when a person have to disguise themselves under another nickname.  I agree, seek professional help.  It's for your own good.  You seem to annoy everyone here so go away.  :-\\

Written By: Marian on 06/14/04 at 2:39 pm

Last time he was here I voted not to ban him. Now, he writes inflammatory posts about his psychiatrists ('if only I could get hold of his number and address I will beat the s..t out of him' - how wrong is this?) and about his parents ('they gave me OCD, I work full time but I give my parents nothing, I said to them 'I owe them nothing and nothing is what I owe' - how pathetic and disrespectful!).

I also agree with GumbyPiz, if MasterSplinter was straight-forward about his identity, I'm sure we could give the man another try.

All I can say is 'This could have been a lot better for you, Andrew but you spoiled it.'  :-\\
:o :o :oHmmmmmm....he was sympathetic to his mother the last time. ::) ::) ::)

Written By: Bobby on 06/14/04 at 6:51 pm

:o :o :oHmmmmmm....he was sympathetic to his mother the last time. ::) ::) ::)

It seems to me that he feels and does things that suit his own ends.  :-\\

Written By: Bobby on 06/14/04 at 6:53 pm

I don't think this poll is being held because of police car or dinosaur threads.  There are plenty of threads like that on these boards.

That is a true point. In the 80s section a long time ago, I made up a thread and just simply wrote 'I LOVE NEON'.  ;D

Written By: Bobby on 06/14/04 at 6:56 pm

Andrew.

I preferred AndrewCoolestDude to MasterSplinter.

Written By: Howard on 06/14/04 at 8:47 pm

Hairspray,why not put a lock & key on this board if not then look at these:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd_images/product_images/1259/DBA-737.jpg

>:(

Written By: My name is Kenny on 06/15/04 at 12:30 am

He makes this board suck.  That's all you need to know about him.  His problems are not the concern of anyone on this board; this is the internet, and there are no real people on the Internet, just the false identities and pleas for attention of people you've never met.  Even if his problems were your concern, he's already demonstrated that you can't help him.

Get rid of him.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/15/04 at 7:13 am

He makes this board suck.  That's all you need to know about him.  His problems are not the concern of anyone on this board; this is the internet, and there are no real people on the Internet, just the false identities and pleas for attention of people you've never met.  Even if his problems were your concern, he's already demonstrated that you can't help him.

Get rid of him.

I think some of the posters on this board would disagree with your assessment that none of us are "real" and that we are all pleading for the attention of people we never met.

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/15/04 at 9:11 am

all right... he's gone then...

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/15/04 at 9:40 am

Vaya con dios  :\'( , MasterSplinter. 

I hope that you can resolve your anger in a productive and peaceful way.

:)

Written By: My name is Kenny on 06/15/04 at 10:05 am

I think some of the posters on this board would disagree with your assessment that none of us are "real" and that we are all pleading for the attention of people we never met.

I realize what I said was harsh and unfair.  Many of you are probably very real and not crying for attention.  I, however, will never know for sure, as I have never met any of you.

MasterSplinter is gone, yet GWBush2004 is allowed to stick around and spread his messages of hate and ignorance. That's ridiculous.

Learn to deal with other people's opinions.

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/15/04 at 10:59 am

It should be noted for the record that this was an unusual case, and we generally don't hold polls as to whether someone should be banned or not.  Generally most of the people who are banned, have been pretty obvious in their breaking of the rules, to a point where there is no question about whether they are outside of the guidelines or not.  In this case, the individual has been posting topics, but not really interacting with people, and there's no clear guideline about that.  Previousily, they were flooding the boards with a lot of meaningless topics, but this time it wasn't quite as severe. 

As far as other potential bans, they will not be discussed publicly.  If you think someone's actions are in violation of site guidelines, bring up with me or Hairspray. I'm not going to operate a public witch hunt against members.  If someone has views you disagree with, it's not enough of a reason for me to ban them. Sorry. 

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 06/15/04 at 11:25 am

I must not be reading the boards enough.  So I don't know just what he did that was wrong.  :-\\

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 06/15/04 at 11:37 am

Oh, ok never mind.  I just read the "Where's Andrew" post.  I actually don't remember much of Andrew Coolest Dude from the old board, but I was getting a little annoyed with Splinter's replies to himself and only wanting to talk about himself.  I understand now that he had to go.  So long, buddy boy.

Written By: Marian on 06/15/04 at 1:43 pm

:-\\ ???There is something i was wondering about Andrew/Mastersplinter--whatever.Deceit was mentioned.Maybe he/she/they are more than one person---and maybe this person or persons was born not in 1972,but 1992--not to offend any of the younger posters.But is it possible that this was a group of schoolkids,perhaps studying medical,political,and psychiatric subjects,who had too much time on thier hands,making up stories about being dependant on the state,etc,just to see if they could catch the ire of the other posters?That could explain the inconsistencies and repetitiveness---maybe several authors were involved,and they didn't keep track of what one another was saying!! ::)Anyway,you can imagine goofy kids with time on their hands might find doing this more entertaining than,say,TPing a house or making crank calls.I wonder if the IP address corresponds to a school or some other place where young people gather.Just a thought.Cheers! :o

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/15/04 at 2:00 pm

:-\\ ???There is something i was wondering about Andrew/Mastersplinter--whatever.Deceit was mentioned.Maybe he/she/they are more than one person---and maybe this person or persons was born not in 1972,but 1992--not to offend any of the younger posters.But is it possible that this was a group of schoolkids,perhaps studying medical,political,and psychiatric subjects,who had too much time on thier hands,making up stories about being dependant on the state,etc,just to see if they could catch the ire of the other posters?That could explain the inconsistencies and repetitiveness---maybe several authors were involved,and they didn't keep track of what one another was saying!! ::)Anyway,you can imagine goofy kids with time on their hands might find doing this more entertaining than,say,TPing a house or making crank calls.I wonder if the IP address corresponds to a school or some other place where young people gather.Just a thought.Cheers! :o

the IP address was pretty consistent and didn't correspond to a school or library.  I do know of cases where people will try and subvert a messageboard (try and make people bicker, spam it, etc) just to see if they can do it, but I don't think that was the case here.  I've been online long enough to spot it by now I think.

Written By: Marian on 06/15/04 at 2:02 pm

the IP address was pretty consistent and didn't correspond to a school or library.  I do know of cases where people will try and subvert a messageboard (try and make people bicker, spam it, etc) just to see if they can do it, but I don't think that was the case here.  I've been online long enough to spot it by now I think.
??? ???OK just wondering.Some of the stuff did seem a little ,well,immature,though.Just curious.Cheers! 8)

Written By: Howard on 06/15/04 at 4:55 pm

I'm glad he's gone. He depressed me a lot. >:(

And please...keep him gone! >:(

Howard

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 06/15/04 at 5:05 pm

I'm glad he's gone. He depressed me a lot. >:(

And please...keep him gone! >:(

Howard

When he first started the OCD thread, I was going to post something...until I saw he just kept repeating himself and was just throwing himself a pity party.  :(

Written By: Bobby on 06/15/04 at 8:46 pm

As far as other potential bans, they will not be discussed publicly.  If you think someone's actions are in violation of site guidelines, bring up with me or Hairspray. I'm not going to operate a public witch hunt against members.  If someone has views you disagree with, it's not enough of a reason for me to ban them. Sorry. 

Very wise.  :)

Written By: Marian on 06/16/04 at 1:11 pm

When he first started the OCD thread, I was going to post something...until I saw he just kept repeating himself and was just throwing himself a pity party.   :(
:o :oHe/she didn't even start an original thread--I believe this person or persons got a lot of ideas elsewhere and just believed they were upstaging other posters here....I mean,using your thread as an idea.I still suspect whoever it is isn't really as old as claimed.It just seems a lot of the stuff written was just to annoy adults,but the mods are the experts.Cheers!

Check for new replies or respond here...