inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Win Ben Steins Money OR Jeopardy

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/25/04 at 2:51 pm

I chose Stein....Wow!

Ever watch "Jeopardy" and hate it when Alex Trebek so smugly supplies the correct question to the answer? Anyone can seem smart when the answer is written right in front of them. But what if Alex put his money where his mouth was and became a common contestant? What if he put up, say, $5,000 of his own money that said he was smarter the the other contestants? Well, he'd be just like Ben Stein from the game show "Win Ben Stein's Money" Here is an excerpt from an interview with Ben from 1999:

What about Alex Trebek? Could he handle the pressure? “He wouldn’t have the guts,” contends Stein. “It’s terribly difficult. He’d be crazy to do it. He gets paid so much to do his show, and it's so easily compared to mine.”

And really, he’s right. The questions on Win Ben Stein’s Money are hard. What 20th-century art movement claimed to be anti-art? How many sides are on a dodecagon? “Galaxy” comes from the Greek word for what fluid? What smooth cylinder is used to roll out pastry dough? (I only knew the rolling-pin question; I would have gone home empty-handed.)

Subject: Re: Win Ben Steins Money OR Jeopardy

Written By: Jessica on 06/25/04 at 3:13 pm

Ben Stein, especially when Jimmy Kimmel was on there. I never could stand that annoying chick that came on after Jimmy left.

Written By: DJ Midas on 06/25/04 at 3:18 pm

I'll go with Stein also for $1000, Alex.   :P ;)   Seriously though, Ben Stein showed his intellectual prowess in the final round of each show, when more often than not (at least the shows I viewed) he would triumph over the contestant trying to win his money.  The only thing I can remember about Trebek halfway intelligent is that he can pronounce words correctly with proper accents.     ::)

BTW, what's the answer on dodecagon?  Is it 20?      ???

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 06/25/04 at 3:34 pm

Ben Stein  :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/25/04 at 3:40 pm

I have NO idea....you're asking a guy with a "Jeopardy" IQ that can only hope someday to upgrade to Stein :)

Written By: Bobo on 06/25/04 at 3:57 pm

A dodecagon has 12 sides, DJ. The name for a shape with 20 sides is an icosagon.

Written By: womberty on 06/25/04 at 4:09 pm

A dodecagon has 12 sides, DJ. The name for a shape with 20 sides is an icosagon.

Is that a 2-dimensional shape with 12 sides? 'Cause a dodecahedron is a 3-dimensional shape with 12 sides (triangular, I think).

(Thanks, "Square One"!)

Written By: Bobo on 06/25/04 at 4:13 pm

("Announcer's voice": 'And now, back to square one!')

Yes, thanks for clearing that up. My wording was sloppy, I intended to say: "A dodecagon is a plane figure with twelve sides", as opposed to the thing I said above.

And yes, although this time I must say that a dodecahedron must have twelve "faces" rather than sides. And, this figure would appear to suggest that the sides are pentagonal rather than triangular.

http://en.wikipedia.org/upload/e/e0/Dodecahedron.jpg

However, regular icosahedra have got triangular sides, comme ci:

http://en.wikipedia.org/upload/e/eb/Icosahedron.jpg

Hope this clears things up!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/25/04 at 4:34 pm

SEE? Isn't it already more fun than "What is the capitol of New York"  ::)

Written By: Bobo on 06/25/04 at 4:45 pm

Ooh. I know that one! *jumps up and down like a good kid who's memorized his American state capitals*. *holds breath*

Now I'm going to look really stupid when I find out it's not Albany any more!

Written By: goldie on 06/25/04 at 4:46 pm

Neither. Alex Trebek is a know-it-all and the way Ben Stein talks gets on my last nerve.

Written By: womberty on 06/25/04 at 4:49 pm

I must say that a dodecahedron must have twelve "faces" rather than sides. And, this figure would appear to suggest that the sides are pentagonal rather than triangular.

http://en.wikipedia.org/upload/e/e0/Dodecahedron.jpg

However, regular icosahedra have got triangular sides, comme ci:

http://en.wikipedia.org/upload/e/eb/Icosahedron.jpg

Hope this clears things up!

Oops! My bad! The dodecahedron was definitely from a "Square One" episode (I think it was in a "Mathnet" sketch), but I was probably confusing it mentally with icosahedrons used as dice.  :) :D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/25/04 at 5:19 pm

Neither. Alex Trebek is a know-it-all and the way Ben Stein talks gets on my last nerve.
Trabek is a know it all ONLY because he has the questions on cards right in front of him...as for Stein...yeah, his voice can get rather annoying but he is very smart ;)

Written By: Dagwood on 06/25/04 at 9:00 pm

I must be the only one that went with Jeopardy.  I am really hooked right now because the champion is from SLC.  He has won 18 times in a row amassing over $600,000.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/25/04 at 9:37 pm

I must be the only one that went with Jeopardy.  I am really hooked right now because the champion is from SLC.  He has won 18 times in a row amassing over $600,000.
Oh I enjoy the show....I just think Ben's show is much more challenging, that's all :)

Written By: Dagwood on 06/26/04 at 8:24 am

I could never get into Ben's show.  He bores me to tears.  I guess to each his own. ;)

Written By: Marian on 06/26/04 at 2:13 pm

;D ;DDon't worry ,You're not the only one!I love that show!Obviously Ken has set a record for non-tournament winnings ;D;that bald guy yesterday gave him a run for his money,though!Cheers!

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 06/26/04 at 2:15 pm

Oh I enjoy the show....I just think Ben's show is much more challenging, that's all :)

Ditto!  :)

Written By: Dagwood on 06/26/04 at 6:46 pm

;D ;DDon't worry ,You're not the only one!I love that show!Obviously Ken has set a record for non-tournament winnings ;D;that bald guy yesterday gave him a run for his money,though!Cheers!

He did, didn't he.  They had $90,000 between the two of them.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/26/04 at 6:51 pm

What is both.  ;)

When Alex first started doing Jeopardy!, I didn't like him but he grew on me. He has said that he is given the answers so he doesn't have to "know" all that stuff. He still is very intellengent. Ben kind of reminds me of a professor. He is also very intellengent. The fact that he plays along shows that he is very knowledgable.

Cat

Written By: SuperFreak on 06/26/04 at 8:09 pm

Ben :)

Written By: lebeiw15 on 06/26/04 at 9:32 pm

Uh, yeah.. me too.  I was kinda surprised when I saw all the people thart love Stein's show.  I like it, but I like Jeopardy way more.  Especially Rock n Roll Jeopardy.

Written By: lebeiw15 on 06/26/04 at 9:33 pm

Ben kind of reminds me of a professor.

..Bueller?.. Bueller?..  ..Bueller?

Written By: nally on 06/27/04 at 12:02 am

I could never get into Ben's show.  He bores me to tears.  I guess to each his own. ;)

Yeah...I have watched it a few times, but it's not all that interesting. However, I have seen some flubs/silly moments from that show on "The Most Outrageous Game Show Moments." :D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/27/04 at 1:39 pm

..Bueller?.. Bueller?..  ..Bueller?

LMAO. That wasn't exactly what I was thinking of, though.

Cat

Written By: Koop on 06/27/04 at 7:54 pm

Ben Stein.  I think Ben is not only intelligent, but also funny, with a very dry sense of humor.  Alex Trebek is very condescending, which is annoying.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/08/04 at 7:04 pm

Ben Stein.  I think Ben is not only intelligent, but also funny, with a very dry sense of humor.  Alex Trebek is very condescending, which is annoying.
Couldn't agree more, Koop ;)

Written By: Marian on 07/08/04 at 7:44 pm

:o :oI just don't think of Alex as being condescending.I think he's just very good at keeping a straoght face when some one gives a strange answer-that's necessary,or the show would take forever to tape.Cheers!

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 07/08/04 at 9:58 pm

I'll go with Stein also for $1000, Alex.   :P ;)   

That just brought back some funny memories ;D  You DO know what I'm talking about, Midas? ;)

Um...I'll take Ben Stein, Alex is too pompous & arrogant for my taste.

Written By: DJ Midas on 07/08/04 at 10:06 pm

That just brought back some funny memories ;D  You DO know what I'm talking about, Midas? ;)

OMG!  I think I do!  :D  ;D

I'll stick with my summerstan.  8)

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 07/08/04 at 10:12 pm

I'll stick with my summerstan.  8)

LMAO! ;D ;D ;D

Written By: ProgShred on 07/09/04 at 2:50 am

I'll take Jeopardy because of the pace of the show. Some Q&A is tough and some is not, but they get through 61 Q&As in about 25 minutes. I think Alex does a great job. Of course he wouldn't know the answers without the answer sheet, but it's silly to think he should.

Written By: nally on 02/04/05 at 10:35 am

Yeah...I have watched it a few times, but it's not all that interesting.

I take that back...lately we've been watching Ben Stein's Money on GSN...we've found it to be quite fun. ;) The categories on that show are quite funny (many of them are a play on words :D)! And in the bonus round, when Jimmy Kimmel (the co-host) asks ten questions to the contestant and Ben, I've been able to figure out the answers to quite a few of them (especially some that neither the contestant nor Ben could answer correctly).

Written By: Howard on 02/04/05 at 6:19 pm

Jeopardy

Howard

Written By: RockandRollFan on 02/05/05 at 9:52 am

I take that back...lately we've been watching Ben Stein's Money on GSN...we've found it to be quite fun. ;) The categories on that show are quite funny (many of them are a play on words :D)! And in the bonus round, when Jimmy Kimmel (the co-host) asks ten questions to the contestant and Ben, I've been able to figure out the answers to quite a few of them (especially some that neither the contestant nor Ben could answer correctly).
MUCH more challenging. I'd LOVE to have seen Trebeck take on Ben. Stein would've totally destroyed Alex!

Written By: nally on 02/05/05 at 12:14 pm

MUCH more challenging. I'd LOVE to have seen Trebeck take on Ben. Stein would've totally destroyed Alex!

That would be something to see. :-\\

Written By: RockandRollFan on 02/05/05 at 3:24 pm

That would be something to see. :-\\
Yeah...Trebeck is a jerk in my opinion and has made deragatory comments about Steins show >:(

Written By: nally on 02/08/05 at 9:47 pm

Yeah...Trebeck is a jerk in my opinion and has made deragatory comments about Steins show >:(

I didn't know that. :-\\

Written By: RockandRollFan on 02/08/05 at 9:50 pm

I didn't know that. :-\\
Yeah...but now Ben's show is gone :-\\

Written By: nally on 02/08/05 at 9:52 pm

Yeah...but now Ben's show is gone :-\\

I still watch it on GSN, but I think those are reruns. :-\\

Written By: RockandRollFan on 02/08/05 at 10:05 pm

I still watch it on GSN, but I think those are reruns. :-\\
Sadly, they are :-\\

Written By: Jen82 on 02/09/05 at 10:23 am

Jeopardy is fun to watch but Ben Steins show was more challenging.

Written By: Mona on 02/09/05 at 10:41 am

I chose Jeopardy  probably because I am more liable to be able to answer the questions on that show.  :D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 02/09/05 at 11:04 am

I chose Jeopardy  probably because I am more liable to be able to answer the questions on that show.  :D
I can respect that :)

Check for new replies or respond here...