inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Best Decade For MUSIC

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 06/25/04 at 7:58 pm

My favorite decade for music is the 1970's.  It was so diverse back then.  8)

Subject: Re: Best Decade For MUSIC

Written By: DJ Midas on 06/25/04 at 8:13 pm

I chose the 80's.  Grew up during that decade, and great music during that time.  :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/25/04 at 8:20 pm

I chose the 80's.  Grew up during that decade, and great music during that time.   :)
I think that is pretty much how this poll will go, DJ Midas. I grew up in the 70's so I chose that decade....although I enjoyed the 80's music and thought a LOT of very influential stuff came out of the 60's...and 50's. I feel the 90's were the beginning of the end for decent music...although there are a few exceptions.

Written By: woops on 06/25/04 at 10:02 pm

The '80's...far more diverse with rock, metal, new wave,  hip hop, r&b, pop, etc.  8)

Second choice: the '60's  (Motown, British Invasion, folk, psycedelic, etc)

IMO, the '70's only had a few good bands and most are punk & rock.

And the '50's isn't my cup of tea, but has a few good moments.

The '90's was cool...until 1998.  :P

Written By: jaytee on 06/25/04 at 10:05 pm

My favorite decade for music is the 1970's.  It was so diverse back then.  8)

I'm with you all the way Karen!!!

Written By: StarskyHutch76 on 06/25/04 at 11:57 pm

The 70's Rocked the most :)

Written By: BodaciousBoy on 06/26/04 at 12:01 am

I think the 70's were the best by far. I'd say the 60's next because of the creativity that influenced the 70's. To me the 80's were alright but they had the most pussy-rock ::)

Written By: NbC on 06/26/04 at 1:13 am

I picked the 70's

Written By: mandamoo on 06/26/04 at 2:16 am

The 1970's !

Written By: Fett69 on 06/26/04 at 2:56 am

I voted 80's.  Even tho' my library is pretty evenly mixed 70's/80's. 

As my man DJ Midas and R&RFan said, the majority of this poll will be influenced by when we grew up.  I think once you start buying music (or at least recording it off the radio, as us old fogeys did  ;)  ), that's when it starts becoming more than background noise and is meaningful to you. 

Written By: dude on 06/26/04 at 3:03 am

No contest..........the 70's! The 60's got the ball rolling and there is some great music but the 70s was the decade when music grew up. By the early to mid 80's, everything become so commercial and plastic and it's gone downhill since. There are exceptions to every rule and there is some great music in every decade but for sustained greatness, innovation, experimentation, and just plain ROCKIN'.........I'll go with the 70's.

Written By: Sentimentalist on 06/26/04 at 7:48 am

70s Cause in the 80s..... ahem.. The Buggles were right!  Video did Kill the radio star!!!
Nowadays if you don't have the look you don't get the record deal.
God lyk!

Written By: Marian on 06/26/04 at 2:09 pm

:DI voted for the 50s but love the early 60s too.basically any year when the Everly brothers were most popular.Cheers! ;) ;)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 06/26/04 at 2:13 pm

Nowadays if you don't have the look you don't get the record deal.

That's so true!  What happened to talent?  :(

Written By: Marian on 06/26/04 at 2:33 pm

That's so true!  What happened to talent?  :(
;D 8) 8)whatever happened to blind record producers???LOL

Written By: pennsygirl on 06/26/04 at 4:35 pm

I think defiinitely the 80's.  There were so many talented artists back then.  Nowadays, talent is not needed.

Written By: Pandora on 06/26/04 at 4:43 pm

Went with the 70's but the 80's had alot of (as fett69 put it) meaningful music for me as well.

Written By: Dagwood on 06/26/04 at 6:50 pm

The 80's, of course. :)

Written By: IWannaBeAGoonie on 06/26/04 at 7:12 pm

I voted "80's"...because FOR ME there was such a great variety.  But, I think that you all are right--I would imagine age has a lot to for with it.  I was born in the 70's, but was too young to remember much music from that time. I just know that NOW, though there are a few exeptions for the 70's, I didn't think much of that era.  I do really like SOME of the music from that day--but to me the 80's are still the best!   :D

Written By: SuperFreak on 06/26/04 at 8:12 pm

I was in my teens in the 80's but I always liked 70's music better. To me it was more creative and less fake.

Written By: Hairspray on 06/26/04 at 10:32 pm

Tough, tough, tough...

Shoot, for me it's almost even between the 1970's and 1980's; with the 60's as a close third. As rockin' as the 70's were and as fun in reference to the musical diversity, the music of the 1980's was also very diverse and original. I think I fell in love with the electronic sounds of synth to degrees to which bring my final decision to vote 1980's as my ultimate fave decade for music; albeit, not by much. ;)

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 06/27/04 at 9:41 am

I picked the 80's because so much great music came out then. It was a fabulous decade and I miss it terribly!!

The 70's would come in a close second because I don't think synthpop/electropop as we knew it in the 80's onward would have existed had there not been groups like Kraftwerk around in the mid-late 70's to pioneer it!

Absolutely Vile

Written By: Rio_Rhodes on 06/28/04 at 12:14 pm

The 80s. I agree with Vile all the way. 'nuff said. ;) ;D

Rio

Written By: LizardKing6771 on 07/03/04 at 9:29 am

I pick the 70's. the 60's were pretty cool but music got even more far-out in the 70's, man.

Written By: My name is Kenny on 07/03/04 at 10:52 am

Every decade has music I like and music I don't.  I refuse to rank them.

Written By: Dude111 on 10/15/07 at 9:10 pm

I voted 80s!!

80s was the best time FOR MANY THINGS!!!!

Actually i think MAINSTREAM MUSIC was good from the 50s thru the 80s,then it went straight down the tubes!!!! (Mainstream in referring to)

Written By: coqueta83 on 10/16/07 at 12:51 am

The awesome 80's!  :)

Written By: Green Lantern on 10/16/07 at 1:15 am

I'll have to abstain from the vote (TOO difficult) .. and I reckon 80's will win anyway .. which I can live with.

70's .. I would say had the best music for music running the full length of any decade., i.e 1960-69, 70-79, 80-89.

However, I am a big fan of 1980 to late 85 in particular, less so with the latter half.

60's ... a lot of good music.

The others .. very patchy, IMHO.

Check for new replies or respond here...