inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Anybody else watch Jeopardy?

Written By: ProgShred on 07/07/04 at 12:54 am

Have you seen Ken, the current champion? He's won for like 25 days in a row and has won over $775,000.

This guy is a lean, mean, trivia machine!

Subject: Re: Anybody else watch Jeopardy?

Written By: nally on 07/07/04 at 10:12 am

Have you seen Ken, the current champion? He's won for like 25 days in a row and has won over $775,000.

This guy is a lean, mean, trivia machine!

I know, my parents and I were watching it last night, and now he's up to $788,960 or something like that! Somebody defeat him! :o

Written By: Jessica on 07/07/04 at 1:10 pm

I watched it when he was on his 22nd day. I was hoping he would lose. ;D

And has anyone noticed how smug Alex Trebek can be when someone gets a question wrong? :P

Written By: Marian on 07/07/04 at 1:52 pm

I watched it when he was on his 22nd day. I was hoping he would lose. ;D

And has anyone noticed how smug Alex Trebek can be when someone gets a question wrong? :P
:o :o :oWell,sometimes the answers people give can be pretty hilarious,so I think he's just trying to keep a straight face.! ;D ;DI'll be watching tonight to see if ken wins again.Cheers1

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 07/07/04 at 2:39 pm

Oh yeah ::)  He's an a$$. :P

No, I haven't watched this show in a long time.  But kudos to Mr. Smartypants Ken! :D

Written By: Dagwood on 07/07/04 at 6:59 pm

I have watched recently because of Ken.  He is from Utah so I am rooting for the hometown boy.  I want to see him win $1 million then lose.

Written By: nally on 07/08/04 at 12:26 am

I have watched recently because of Ken.  He is from Utah so I am rooting for the hometown boy.  I want to see him win $1 million then lose.

Actually, I want to see him lose first. No offense to anyone, though. :-[ He won again tonight, so he's $40,000 richer. C'mon, Ken, give someone else a chance. ::)

Written By: PaperGirl on 07/08/04 at 10:48 am

That guy is still there?  :o

Written By: Jessica on 07/08/04 at 11:30 am

That guy is still there?   :o

Yup. Tonight will be his 26th night on there. :P

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/08/04 at 12:07 pm

Haven't watch Jeopardy! in so long-not that I don't still like it, it's just that I am usually doing something else when it comes on.

Cat

Written By: nally on 07/09/04 at 1:06 am

Doggone it, he won again! >:( Part of the problem is, when he gets the Daily Doubles, he wagers a chunk of money and gets the question right, thus putting him way out in front. Same with the Final Jeopardy question.

Written By: Dagwood on 07/09/04 at 9:07 am

It is funny how people feel so differently about him.  Everyone I talk to either really likes him and wants to see him keep winning or can't stand him and wants to see him go down.

I still say Go KEN!

Written By: Marian on 07/09/04 at 2:24 pm

It is funny how people feel so differently about him.  Everyone I talk to either really likes him and wants to see him keep winning or can't stand him and wants to see him go down.

I still say Go KEN!
;D :D 8)I second that.I mean,some people came close,and with a little luck they might have won.But the person who beats him will have a lot to live up to1Cheers!

Written By: nally on 07/13/04 at 9:37 pm

Well, he broke the million-dollar mark tonight. ::) I got so bored with it that I decided to watch the All-Star game instead. I turned the channel back just in time for Final Jeopardy, and sure enough, he won...

Written By: Dagwood on 07/14/04 at 8:23 am

Good for him.

Written By: Marian on 07/14/04 at 1:42 pm

Good for him.
;) ;)Yay1Now all he has to do is win as much money as the guy who won the million dollar tournament of championships(the guy who won got to keep whatever he won playing).Cheers!

Written By: lebeiw15 on 07/15/04 at 10:23 pm

I don't know--I guess I'm happy for him and everything, but at the same time, I want to see him get beat.  Not 'cause I don't like him or anything.  I bet the guy that beats him will be REEEEEEAAAALL happy. ;D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/15/04 at 10:40 pm

I had the pleasure of being on the phone with Zella when he won, yet again, tonight :)

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 07/16/04 at 10:01 am

OK, I'm getting really bored with this Ken guy. Today will be...what...his 32nd day? It's ridiculous! I'd like to see someone else win for a change. The five-day rule was so much better. I wonder if the producers will rethink their "champion keeps coming back 'til he's/she's defeated" new rule. They obviously thought they'd never see the likes of Ken! He's definitely given them a run for their money!

Wake me up when he's gone. I have a feeling this is going to be a long nap... Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz... ::)

Absolutely Vile

Written By: nally on 07/16/04 at 10:50 am

I don't know--I guess I'm happy for him and everything, but at the same time, I want to see him get beat.  Not 'cause I don't like him or anything.  I bet the guy that beats him will be REEEEEEAAAALL happy. ;D

My parents and I feel the same way. We don't have anything against Ken himself; he's just really quick with the signaling button and he gives his answers really fast.

The other day (Wednesday) he got all three Daily Doubles but got all the questions wrong, and it looked like someone was actually gonna beat him, but he came out on top, wagering a small amount of money. His score for that day peaked at $19,200, but he wound up with $17,200 or something like that. I do want to see a new champion sometime in the near future, though.

Written By: Dagwood on 07/16/04 at 12:55 pm

OK, I'm getting really bored with this Ken guy. Today will be...what...his 32nd day? It's ridiculous! I'd like to see someone else win for a change. The five-day rule was so much better. I wonder if the producers will rethink their "champion keeps coming back 'til he's/she's defeated" new rule. They obviously thought they'd never see the likes of Ken! He's definitely given them a run for their money!

Wake me up when he's gone. I have a feeling this is going to be a long nap... Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz... ::)

Absolutely Vile

I doubt they will change back.  They are getting great ratings right now.

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 07/16/04 at 1:04 pm

Really? I thought people might get fed up and stop watching because the guy's been on for so long. But I suppose it's the suspense of "How long can he last? How much money will he make?" that's pulling the viewers in.

Absolutely Vile

Written By: lebeiw15 on 07/16/04 at 3:30 pm

Definitely.

Written By: PaperGirl on 07/20/04 at 10:04 am

Okay...I watched this guy finally yesterday.  Where in the hell do they find the opponents for this guy?  At the end of the game, Ken had over 10K more than the other 2!  I got bored real quick, and the sadder part, I knew the answers to the questions too.  I thnk either I am getting smarter, or Jeopardy is getting easier..

Written By: nally on 07/20/04 at 11:06 pm

Those of you that watched it tonight probably know that Ken extended his championship another day, winning an additional $29,200. All three players got the Final Jeopardy question wrong.

By the way, my family and I have been referring to Jeopardy as "The Ken Show" lately, for obvious reasons.

Written By: Mangoo on 07/22/04 at 6:23 am

I finally watched him for the first time last night and made this prediction.FOR THE RECORD THIS IS ALL SET UP!What a perfect way to boost the dying ratings of Jeopardy than to have a super long running champion.People will watch to see him win or hoping to see him lose.Its like he answerss the question the INSTANT HE GETS DONE THE QUESTION.Then sometimes the cocky way he bets a ton of money like he already has the answer.I always thought that Jeopardy champs should stay on until they get beat but not as a set up like this. ::)

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 07/22/04 at 8:21 am

I finally watched him for the first time last night and made this prediction.FOR THE RECORD THIS IS ALL SET UP!What a perfect way to boost the dying ratings of Jeopardy than to have a super long running champion.People will watch to see him win or hoping to see him lose.Its like he answerss the question the INSTANT HE GETS DONE THE QUESTION.Then sometimes the cocky way he bets a ton of money like he already has the answer.I always thought that Jeopardy champs should stay on until they get beat but not as a set up like this. ::)

The guy writes trivia questions for computer games, I DOUBT this is a set up to boost ratings. 

Written By: PaperGirl on 07/22/04 at 12:48 pm

I am a speed reader too, but damn!  This guy is good!  I make everyone in my family mad because I am spitting out answers before he is done reading, but I think on the show, I would choke. 

Written By: nally on 07/23/04 at 10:39 pm

Well...he won $75,000 tonight! (No, that is not a misprint; you read correctly.) He risked a huge chunk of money on both Daily Doubles in the Double Jeopardy round; the other two players (both women) didn't have a chance! And the Final Jeopardy category was Shakespeare; Ken mentioned between rounds that he was an English major in college, so I figured he'd get the Final Jeopardy question right, since English majors read a lot of Shakespeare. Now we won't see him again for a while; Alex mentioned that during the next six weeks they'd be airing special eps and reruns, so I guess Ken will return on September 13th.

Written By: PaperGirl on 07/24/04 at 8:34 pm

I saw that.  I knew the Final Jeopardy answer too.  Gonna be a long summer for this guy.

Written By: ProgShred on 07/26/04 at 2:12 am

I like him. He's the ultimate nerd. 8) I can't wait for someone to beat him though. I think when he loses, it will be because he get's the final question wrong and his opponent bets it all and gets it right. Of course, it will have to be a worthy opponent because he will need more than half of Ken's total going into the final.

Written By: nally on 09/07/04 at 10:48 am

In case you weren't watching last night, Ken Jennings was back. He's still the champion, but he only won $10,001 last night. (That's because he got the "Final Jeopardy" question wrong.)

Written By: Marian on 09/07/04 at 1:46 pm

In case you weren't watching last night, Ken Jennings was back. He's still the champion, but he only won $10,001 last night. (That's because he got the "Final Jeopardy" question wrong.)
:)He gets it wrong a lot i think,but he's usually far ahead,so it doesn't matter much.Cheers!

Written By: nally on 09/09/04 at 3:41 pm

:)He gets it wrong a lot i think,but he's usually far ahead,so it doesn't matter much.Cheers!

I think he gets far ahead quickly because he's so quick to hit his signaling button.

Written By: Marian on 09/20/04 at 8:26 pm

I think he gets far ahead quickly because he's so quick to hit his signaling button.
:o :o :oTournament of Champions starts this week,so we'll have to wait at least 2 more weeks to see if he gets defeated.Cheers1

Written By: nally on 09/20/04 at 9:41 pm

:o :o :oTournament of Champions starts this week,so we'll have to wait at least 2 more weeks to see if he gets defeated.Cheers1

Really?

Well, I don't wanna spoil anything, but a couple weeks ago, my mom read an article on the internet, and it said that Ken finally got defeated! That episode will air during sometime during the last week of October.

Written By: Marian on 09/21/04 at 2:46 pm

Really?

Well, I don't wanna spoil anything, but a couple weeks ago, my mom read an article on the internet, and it said that Ken finally got defeated! That episode will air during sometime during the last week of October.
:D"the ken show" is only going to be on another month???Lol Cheers!

Written By: nally on 11/05/04 at 11:31 am

:D"the ken show" is only going to be on another month???Lol Cheers!

Well here it is November already...and he's still on there. I think it'll be sometime next week when they air his loss. Oh wait, next week I hear they're gonna have college tournaments, so maybe it might be the week after that.

Subject: KEN FINALLY LOSES!!

Written By: nally on 11/30/04 at 11:01 pm

If you watched Jeopardy tonight, you probably know that he finally lost! He lost to a woman named Nancy, who is from Ventura, CA (very close to where I live). Ken was actually struggling a lot during the Double Jeopardy round; he got both Daily Doubles, only to get those questions wrong. Going into Final Jeopardy, he led Nancy by $4,400 (the third contestant finished with a negative score, so he didn't get to stick around). Ken had $14,400; Nancy had $10,000. Anyway, Nancy got the Final Jeopardy question right and risked $4,401, giving her a $1 lead, but Ken got it wrong...so now there's a brand new champion! :) Ken accumulated over $2.5 million altogether.

Subject: Re: KEN FINALLY LOSES!!

Written By: Marian on 12/01/04 at 4:56 pm

If you watched Jeopardy tonight, you probably know that he finally lost! He lost to a woman named Nancy, who is from Ventura, CA (very close to where I live). Ken was actually struggling a lot during the Double Jeopardy round; he got both Daily Doubles, only to get those questions wrong. Going into Final Jeopardy, he led Nancy by $4,400 (the third contestant finished with a negative score, so he didn't get to stick around). Ken had $14,400; Nancy had $10,000. Anyway, Nancy got the Final Jeopardy question right and risked $4,401, giving her a $1 lead, but Ken got it wrong...so now there's a brand new champion! :) Ken accumulated over $2.5 million altogether.

Written By: nally on 12/02/04 at 12:15 pm

Well...Nancy's championship lasted only one night; Katie beat her. :-\\

Written By: RockandRollFan on 12/02/04 at 1:30 pm

Yeah he was great...my only sadness comes from the fact that if he's a devout Mormon, they will take 10% of the money BEFORE taxes :o >:(

Check for new replies or respond here...