inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: It's the birthday for my new website too...

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/07/04 at 12:06 pm

http://www.onlyonfilm.com/

Incase anyone is wondering what has been keeping me so busy lately, I've been busy creating a new website. I designed it for my final project for my graphic design class two months ago.  I then kept working on it to make it an actual website (not just a mock up of what a website would look like). 

I was thinking about all those movies which have the World Trade Center in the background, or actually in the plot of the movie, etc.  I figured there's a lot of them, so it might be interesting to list them all. As well as other famous landmarks which no longer exist any more.  I haven't filled in a lot of movies yet, but I figure people would be happy to submit some for me.

Subject: Re: It's the birthday for my new website too...

Written By: Hairspray on 07/07/04 at 1:27 pm

Cooool!!!

Written By: rubixgirl on 07/07/04 at 1:51 pm

That's great. I'll have to check it out when I have a little more time. But it looks really cool.  8)

Written By: Dagwood on 07/07/04 at 6:56 pm

cool site, Chucky.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 07/08/04 at 5:47 am

What a great idea for a site Chucky.

I call out "SPOTTO" (even when I am alone) when I see the towers in a TV show or movie.

I know a few nights after 911 a TV station here played Legal Eagles (Redford) and there were a fair few scenes that had the towers in the background from the other side of the bridge - and I just got so weepy.

And Christopher Reeve flew around them in Superman - sniff - he has crumbled just like the towers - so I always find it quite a poignant scene - that neither him nor the scenery is what they use to be.

Gosh I will have to register and start adding !!!!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/08/04 at 12:13 pm

That is cool Chucky. CONGRATS!!!  Are you going to add other buildings/landmarks? I will keep my eyes peeled for other films you can add.

Cat

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/08/04 at 12:42 pm

That is cool Chucky. CONGRATS!!!  Are you going to add other buildings/landmarks? I will keep my eyes peeled for other films you can add.

I set it up in such a way that anyone who knows of another lost landmark that is spotted can easily be added.

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/08/04 at 12:45 pm

What a great idea for a site Chucky.

I call out "SPOTTO" (even when I am alone) when I see the towers in a TV show or movie.

I know a few nights after 911 a TV station here played Legal Eagles (Redford) and there were a fair few scenes that had the towers in the background from the other side of the bridge - and I just got so weepy.

And Christopher Reeve flew around them in Superman - sniff - he has crumbled just like the towers - so I always find it quite a poignant scene - that neither him nor the scenery is what they use to be.

Gosh I will have to register and start adding !!!!

I've been doing it for quite some time now... the towers show up in almost everything really.

You don't have to register to add, but I do plan on counting submissions by logged in people (and running a "top submittors total").  I'm not sure if that will encourage people to add more or not.  Since I can't verify everything sent into the site, I don't want to encourage people who submit stuff just to get on a silly listing.

The site will probably get more interesting once a few more places are added and a lot of movies are added as well.  I found a list of places that feature Penn Station, so I'm renting the DVDs and doing screen captures as I find them.

Written By: Billy Florio on 07/08/04 at 11:40 pm

I know that the towers are in the movie Serendipity, but I dont know where, cause I never saw it lol

I added, also for the Towers, the starting to Barney Miller

For the HollywoodLand Sign, the movie Sunset Blvd.

and I added as a location the Old Madison Square Garden on 8th.....it didnt let me add the movie its in yet though, the original Manchurian Canditate...the unforgettable climax was filmed there

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/09/04 at 7:55 am

and I added as a location the Old Madison Square Garden on 8th.....it didnt let me add the movie its in yet though, the original Manchurian Canditate...the unforgettable climax was filmed there

yeah, I didn't know of a good way to allow someone to add a movie and a location at the same time... I still have to work on that.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 07/09/04 at 8:06 am

yeah, I didn't know of a good way to allow someone to add a movie and a location at the same time... I still have to work on that.

Chuck !

When does something that is added show up on the site ?

Do you vet the submissions first ?  :)

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 07/09/04 at 8:13 am

Thats a very cool idea, Chuck.  Have you thought about adding music videos that show the towers (or any of the other landmarks) in the background?  I know there are quite a few.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 07/09/04 at 8:14 am

Thats a very cool idea, Chuck.  Have you thought about adding music videos that show the towers (or any of the other landmarks) in the background?  I know there are quite a few.

Rats !  Great minds think alike Pop  :)

I was about to write the same thing !

A couple of very well known ones spring to mind !  :)

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/09/04 at 9:49 am

Chuck !

When does something that is added show up on the site ?

Do you vet the submissions first ?  :)

I review everything first.  I noticed something I think you sent in, you put your name in the field for the movie name.

Basically, I edit the descriptions for the movies and places as new information comes in, so that if someone has new info about a particular movie, it can be added to the current top description, but you can also see who said what was used in the description of the movie (original comments left intact).  The hope is to present a more unified look/feel to the site, while at the same time allowing people to add pieces of information (without having to write a detailed description about every movie they submit).

it's a little different than how my other sites work... I'm not sure if it will work ok or not, if it doesn't, I can always change later. This site is database driven, so it's a little easier to make changes and edit information than my previous websites.

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/09/04 at 9:53 am

Thats a very cool idea, Chuck.  Have you thought about adding music videos that show the towers (or any of the other landmarks) in the background?  I know there are quite a few.

I was thinking it could be added under TV, but I'll make a seperate category for videos to keep things a little better defined.

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/09/04 at 10:12 am

I added a new forum for this site, so people can discuss the topic more freely.

Written By: lorac614 on 07/09/04 at 10:40 am

Cool site!

I just thought of another movie where you can see the Towers, "Home Alone 2 Lost in NY".

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/09/04 at 12:54 pm

Very cool!  :)

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 07/09/04 at 5:28 pm

I review everything first.  I noticed something I think you sent in, you put your name in the field for the movie name.

How embarrassing !  :-[

The movie was called "Daylight"  :)

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/09/04 at 5:55 pm

How embarrassing !  :-[

The movie was called "Daylight"  :)

I figured it out... you weren't the only one to do it, so don't feel too bad.

Written By: Billy Florio on 07/10/04 at 1:07 am

I figured it out... you weren't the only one to do it, so don't feel too bad.

I almost did it too lol

I thought of a music video....Ryan Adams "New York New York"

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/10/04 at 7:07 am

I almost did it too lol

I changed it to read FILM Name now... maybe that will end the confusion?

Written By: Billy Florio on 07/11/04 at 1:26 am

that should lol

thanks Chucky

Check for new replies or respond here...