inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Body art

Written By: Stompgal on 07/07/04 at 2:16 pm

I've got a new body art set with gems, tattoos, stamps, an ink pad, a tattoo pen (I've also got some tattoo gel pens), some nail varnish and a book. It's fab! I've already tried out two of the nail designs and tattoo designs. The tattoo gell pens are sold at Partner's the staitioners.

Subject: Re: Body art

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 07/07/04 at 2:41 pm

I prefer real tattoos :D ;)

Written By: Sentimentalist on 07/07/04 at 3:42 pm

LIKE IT OR NOT wearing body art automatically pigeonholes you into a specific social strata.  My sister in law is a licensed medical professional but can't get a job because of all her tatoos!  She has them everywhere.  I don't blame the people who won't hire her, she was warned whilst in school and her immediate response was to get more tatoos.  Once you make a decision like that you must accept the consequences and live with them. 
God lyk!

Written By: DJ Midas on 07/07/04 at 3:49 pm

Like it or not, wearing body art automatically pigeonholes you into a specific social strata.  My sister in law is a licensed medical professional but can't get a job because of all her tatoos!  She has them everywhere.  I don't blame the people who won't hire her, she was warned whilst in school and her immediate response was to get more tatoos.  Once you make a decision like that you must accept the consequences and live with them.
God lyk!

I think the social strata is defined by each particular company or region.  I have friends in the medical profession as well as friends and people I know working for one of the largest investment companies in the U.S. that sport tattoos that can be seen wearing proper work attire.  They were never an issue.

Written By: Jessica on 07/07/04 at 4:05 pm

I don't blame the people who won't hire her

I do. That's a stupid reason not to hire someone. You don't know how a person is going to behave until you hire them and see how they respond to the job. Tattoos do not change the person's work ethics.

Written By: PaperGirl on 07/07/04 at 4:06 pm

Okay.  I had to jump in here.  I have 2 tattoos, and unless you know where they are, you wouldnt know I had them.  

Like it or not, wearing body art automatically pigeonholes you into a specific social strata.

What pigeionhole would that be?  Successful small business owner,  part time editor for the local newspaper, and a stay at home mom?  

Because I am all that, and tattooed.  And mulitply peirced too.  

I bet you dollars to donuts there are millions of people who are very very successful, and are inked.  Should it matter?  No.  Hell, one night of drunken debauchery resulting in Tweety Bird on your bum shouldnt affect your ability to get a good job 10 years down the line, and if it does, well, I wouldn't want to work there anyway.

Now, having so much ink on your body that it is distracting to others is different.  But to say that all tattooed people should be lumped together in one "social strata" is silly.  

Sorry if I offend anyone, but I love my tattoos, and consider them part of me.....and there will be more added, as time allows.

Written By: resinchaser on 07/07/04 at 4:53 pm

This weekend the North American tattoo convention is coming through Montreal. And Friday I will be getting at least 2 tattoos done :) I can't wait!

Written By: Sentimentalist on 07/07/04 at 5:03 pm

Like I said, SHE WAS WARNED WHILST IN SCHOOL!! Her response was to cut off her nose to spite her face.  I am not attempting to make any judgment, just pointing out the local social reality.  If someone didn't like tattoos and they were in a nursing home/clinic, they would have the right to refuse services from anyone for any reason.  I work in a nursing home and there are some women there who refuse to let me assist them with their cares/treatments, this is well within their rights.  It bothers me not in the least.  The tough part is that the staff ratio is quit anomalous, 2/1 M/F.
God lyk!

Written By: PaperGirl on 07/07/04 at 5:15 pm

I see that you have NOW clarified that you are pointing out Local social reality. 

Where I am from, it doesnt really matter.  Thats my local social reality.

BTW, do you have any tatts?  Just wondering.

Written By: Sentimentalist on 07/07/04 at 5:36 pm

Not if my life depended on it!!!  I find no reason to have them.  All of my buddies in Navy "A" school got at least one.  I just couldn't find a good reason to get one.  The reason to not get one, if I did my grandpa would have been very dissapointed.  To me he was the most important person in the world 'cep my mom that is, and I respected him and his beliefs greatly.
God lyk!

Written By: PaperGirl on 07/07/04 at 5:47 pm

And I respect your desire to not be inked. 

I dont like that you think that all tattooed people are lumped into one social strata, though.  Its kind of offensive to me.  As a tattooed person, and a fairly well respected member of my community...I would say that I am far from the social strata that you allude to.

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 07/07/04 at 8:22 pm

I have a few tats & they are clearly visible when I wear tee shirts and shorts.  I have NEVER been told "no" or looked down upon because of my tats.  Besides, if I ever applied for a job & they had a problem with it, I wouldn't want to work with a bunch of close minded people like that anyway.  If anyone ever made a negative comment on the street about my tattoos, I would either laugh in their face or tell them to F*ck off, depending on my mood that day. :)

This day & age, so many people have body art that it's not uncommon anymore to see a doctor, lawyer, judge, politician sporting one.  It's become part of the "norm".

Edited to add:  resin, I am sooooo jealous - but they will look soooooo good, I can't WAIT to see them! :D :-*

Written By: Sentimentalist on 07/07/04 at 10:59 pm

Yep, everyone is hopping on the bandwagon.  You know, I just realised whilst out for dinner with my wife that I owe no one an apology!!  I would never, if in a position to do so, hire ANYONE with visible tattoos!!  If you don't like that well then that's just too gDarn bad.  I never need to apologise for my personal feelings and if you don't like that well too bad  Since I was a wee lad I learned that anti social behavior was something not to hold to a high standard.  I had the tattoo argument with some classmates in my speech class.  They said that no one should be discriminated against for having tatoos.  I told them that if they wanted to get a job or get promoted, don't get visible tattoos!  Perhaps if I were a tattoophile and in a position of mngmnt I would discriminate against non-skin inkers but no I fit too well into the status quo.  I believe that since tattoos started to become a status symbol in the mid 90s that as everygdthing in our country goes people just can't wait to jump on the effin bandwagon.  I don't have credit cards (christian objection)  I don't have a cel phone(just another excuse for being rude and showing status) and (whilst going through clinicals hearing the gripes of the CNA's as to how they could only afford to pay 1/4 to 1/3 of their current bill)  Maybe I am too old fashioned but the meek shall inherit the earth!! and the meek can live off the land w/o worrying about the daily prime time broadcast or how they are going to get electricity!  I enjoy a lot of luxurys but I can live w/o them.  Can you?  Sure skin "Art" exhibitors shouldn't be discriminated against but neither should Mexicans, African Americans, Native Americans ad infinitum.  Reality really is a piece or bodily elimination AINT IT!!!  I really don't care what y'all think pertaining to this subject.  What happens when the "fad" of tattoing wears thin?  ~tattoo wearers will have an advantage. 
God lyk!

"...Look who bought the myth, buy a jingle buy America"

Written By: PaperGirl on 07/08/04 at 10:43 am

I dont think anyone asked for an apology, Sentimentalist.  I know I didnt.

And if you choose to not hire people with ink, thats your choice, but I really think that its a silly choice.  The best candidate for the job might have tattoos, and to not hire that person because of that is kind of closedminded.  Plus, and I dont know if its actually happened, you *might* be subject to a discrimination lawsuit.  I dont know defenitely.

And, I really dont think that my tattoos label me anti social.  I got my first one to celebrate the fact that I was breaking free of a horrible marraige, and the pain that went with it, and I have never regretted it.  I got my next one, actually, 2 months ago to give me a lasting reminder of one of the greatest weekends I have ever had in my life.  It was the first time I had ever taken an out of state trip by myself, and I wanted to memorialize it.

As for hopping on the bandwagon, if I was doing that, I would have more than 2, and not have waited 7 years inbetween each one.  ;)

Stompgal, sorry to turn your thread into a tattoo debate.  :)

Written By: Jessica on 07/08/04 at 11:29 am

Yep, everyone is hopping on the bandwagon.  You know, I just realised whilst out for dinner with my wife that I owe no one an apology!!  I would never, if in a position to do so, hire ANYONE with visible tattoos!!  If you don't like that well then that's just too gDarn bad.  I never need to apologise for my personal feelings and if you don't like that well too bad  Since I was a wee lad I learned that anti social behavior was something not to hold to a high standard.  I had the tattoo argument with some classmates in my speech class.  They said that no one should be discriminated against for having tatoos.  I told them that if they wanted to get a job or get promoted, don't get visible tattoos!  Perhaps if I were a tattoophile and in a position of mngmnt I would discriminate against non-skin inkers but no I fit too well into the status quo.  I believe that since tattoos started to become a status symbol in the mid 90s that as everygdthing in our country goes people just can't wait to jump on the effin bandwagon.  I don't have credit cards (christian objection)  I don't have a cel phone(just another excuse for being rude and showing status) and (whilst going through clinicals hearing the gripes of the CNA's as to how they could only afford to pay 1/4 to 1/3 of their current bill)  Maybe I am too old fashioned but the meek shall inherit the earth!! and the meek can live off the land w/o worrying about the daily prime time broadcast or how they are going to get electricity!  I enjoy a lot of luxurys but I can live w/o them.  Can you?  Sure skin "Art" exhibitors shouldn't be discriminated against but neither should Mexicans, African Americans, Native Americans ad infinitum.   Reality really is a piece or bodily elimination AINT IT!!!  I really don't care what y'all think pertaining to this subject.  What happens when the "fad" of tattoing wears thin?  ~tattoo wearers will have an advantage. 
God lyk!

You could have just said that you didn't like tattoos or the idea of them. No one asked for an apology. ::)

As for your gripe about cellphones, I do own one, but I only use it for: 1. emergencies 2. when I'm expecting calls about job offers. Not everyone uses it as a status symbol. You need to stop lumping people into one big category.

Written By: lebeiw15 on 07/08/04 at 12:16 pm

I don't have a cel phone(just another excuse for being rude and showing status)

Whatever.

Written By: PaperGirl on 07/08/04 at 12:24 pm

I have a cell phone too, good for emergencies, and my business.

Although I never use it in public, I wait till I am in private.  I am not a rude person.  Ask anyone who knows me.  I may be opinionated, but rude?  Nope. 

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 07/08/04 at 1:09 pm

Yep, everyone is hopping on the bandwagon.  You know, I just realised whilst out for dinner with my wife that I owe no one an apology!!  I would never, if in a position to do so, hire ANYONE with visible tattoos!!  If you don't like that well then that's just too gDarn bad.  I never need to apologise for my personal feelings and if you don't like that well too bad  Since I was a wee lad I learned that anti social behavior was something not to hold to a high standard.  I had the tattoo argument with some classmates in my speech class.  They said that no one should be discriminated against for having tatoos.  I told them that if they wanted to get a job or get promoted, don't get visible tattoos!  Perhaps if I were a tattoophile and in a position of mngmnt I would discriminate against non-skin inkers but no I fit too well into the status quo.  I believe that since tattoos started to become a status symbol in the mid 90s that as everygdthing in our country goes people just can't wait to jump on the effin bandwagon.  I don't have credit cards (christian objection)  I don't have a cel phone(just another excuse for being rude and showing status) and (whilst going through clinicals hearing the gripes of the CNA's as to how they could only afford to pay 1/4 to 1/3 of their current bill)  Maybe I am too old fashioned but the meek shall inherit the earth!! and the meek can live off the land w/o worrying about the daily prime time broadcast or how they are going to get electricity!  I enjoy a lot of luxurys but I can live w/o them.  Can you?  Sure skin "Art" exhibitors shouldn't be discriminated against but neither should Mexicans, African Americans, Native Americans ad infinitum.   Reality really is a piece or bodily elimination AINT IT!!!  I really don't care what y'all think pertaining to this subject.  What happens when the "fad" of tattoing wears thin?  ~tattoo wearers will have an advantage. 
God lyk!

Like everyone else said, noone asked you to apologize.

Let me ask you this:  What if you had interviewed two people for a job.  Person #1 was very professional looking, presented themselves in a professional manner & was totally qualified for the job with good credentials, but you could see a tattoo peeking out from under his sleeve.  Person#2 was same as above EXCEPT he had no visible tattoos & his qualifications weren't as great.  Which one would you hire? 

Lets say you hired Person #2 and found later (on a casual dress day) he had tattoos all over his body, but they just weren't visible the day of the interview?  Would you fire him?  Would you treat him any differently?

The bottom line is, you are entitled to your own opinions, but just remember - don't judge a book by it's "cover art" ;)

Written By: Sentimentalist on 07/08/04 at 1:47 pm

I live in an employment at will state.  My wife worked for a radio station years ago.  They got this new hot D.J. who had a great voice and character.  On his first day of employment, the station owner heard him on the radio.  A call was made and it was the new D.J.s last day on the job.  Why?  The owner simply didn't like his voice.  There was no legal recourse since we are an "at will" state.  Reasons for firing are veeerrryyy diverse in this state.
God lyk!

Written By: PaperGirl on 07/08/04 at 2:01 pm

Oh puuuhhhlleeezzeeee. 

Like I said before, if you cant see past the tattoos, then I dont think I want to work for you anyway.  Just like that DJ probably is better off not working for someone as superficial as the owner who didnt like his voice. 

I'm sorry, but I think its pretty crappy to pass judgment on someone just because of a tattoo.  Or a voice.  One would think that we as people have gotten past all that, but apparantly not. Too bad. 

I'm a very nice person, but I guess in your mind, I'm not worthy of working for you, because I have a tattoo. 

Written By: lorac614 on 07/08/04 at 3:27 pm

"I don't have a cel phone(just another excuse for being rude and showing status)..."

Maybe years ago when the cost hundreds of dollars it might have been considered a status symbol, but now they're so darn cheap.

I do have a cell phone and I never use it in public, actually very few people have my number.  My one and only reason for getting a phone was for my safety and my children's safety.  I used it only once while driving and that was to call the police and report a drunk driver.  I like having the phone for emergencies. 

Anyway, on to body art...

I do not have any tattoo's for a few of reasons...
1. I don't like needles.
2. I don't like pain.
3. I change my mind too much, I like something for a while and get tired of it.  I'm afraid that would happen with a tattoo.
4. I would probably regret it 10-20 years down the line.

I don't care what others do with their bodies, if you like 'em, get 'em.  I don't think it should cause a problem in the work place, but I think sometimes it might, I'm not saying that it's right. 

I would consider have a temporary one done, like a henna tattoo.

Written By: nally on 07/08/04 at 3:30 pm

I do not have any tattoo's for a few of reasons...
1. I don't like needles.
2. I don't like pain.
3. I change my mind too much, I like something for a while and get tired of it.  I'm afraid that would happen with a tattoo.
4. I would probably regret it 10-20 years down the line.

I don't care what others do with their bodies, if you like 'em, get 'em.  I don't think it should cause a problem in the work place, but I think sometimes it might, I'm not saying that it's right.

I'm with you.

Written By: Pandora on 07/08/04 at 5:15 pm

I live in an employment at will state.   There was no legal recourse since we are an "at will" state.  Reasons for firing are veeerrryyy diverse in this state.
God lyk!

Since you mentioned  that your state is an "Employment at will" state a number of times, I thought it noteworthy that every state in the US utilizes this doctrine.  Some states have added modifications but as far as labor practices go, none of us are truly protected from getting the ax without reason. 

Yep, everyone is hopping on the bandwagon.  You know, I just realised whilst out for dinner with my wife that I owe no one an apology!!

No, I don't think that you owe one or that anyone was expecting one.  As far as hopping on the bandwagon goes, perhaps that is the case for some.  I do not have any tatts.  I am planning to have one done as soon as I finish my design(which has taken a lot of time, thought and creativity.)    I am not doing it for anyone but myself.  As PaperGirl mentioned, she did it as a celebration.  People will do it for various reasons.  My husband has 3.   One of them he had done over his heart to honor our relationship.  And ..No..He did not have my name emblazoned on his chest. 

I would never, if in a position to do so, hire ANYONE with visible tattoos!!  If you don't like that well then that's just too gDarn bad.  I never need to apologise for my personal feelings and if you don't like that well too bad  Since I was a wee lad I learned that anti social behavior was something not to hold to a high standard. 
Your opinion is noted and respected, however, I find it unfortunate that you feel that way.  Like some of the others have mentioned previously, I would rather not work for someone that felt that way. And feel that it is their loss not mine.  As far as the status issue,  I am confused.  I live in a pretty conservative state, yet, I do not see this classification happening in my experience.

I don't have credit cards (christian objection)  I don't have a cel phone(just another excuse for being rude and showing status) and (whilst going through clinicals hearing the gripes of the CNA's as to how they could only afford to pay 1/4 to 1/3 of their current bill)  Maybe I am too old fashioned but the meek shall inherit the earth!! and the meek can live off the land w/o worrying about the daily prime time broadcast or how they are going to get electricity!  I enjoy a lot of luxurys but I can live w/o them.  Can you? 

I do have credit cards for emergencies, I do not own a cell (status has nothing to do with my choice). And the answer your question is an emphatic Yes, I can and have. 

Written By: Tia on 04/19/06 at 4:20 pm

Weirdly, I have a tattoo of...

http://www.madcowprod.com/fi04.jpg

Tattoo.

I can't tell you where it is though.

Written By: whistledog on 04/19/06 at 7:47 pm

Tattoo.

Boss look, Tattoo! Tattoo!

Where are his Dunkin' Donuts? :D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 04/19/06 at 8:46 pm

Tattoo.

Tia, you weirdo,  I applaud the weirdness that you have a tattoo of Tattoo but actually, that is quite clever and original. but it's still weird

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/19/06 at 9:33 pm

LIKE IT OR NOT wearing body art automatically pigeonholes you into a specific social strata.  My sister in law is a licensed medical professional but can't get a job because of all her tatoos!  She has them everywhere.  I don't blame the people who won't hire her, she was warned whilst in school and her immediate response was to get more tatoos.

Your SiL's case has nothing to do with prejudice, and everything to do with the fact that - if done improperly - it's possible to transmit blood-borne pathogens.  And that the hospital (her employer) has no way of knowing (other than taking her word for it, which won't stand up if they get sued) if she had 'em done properly.

I've got no dog in the "body art is cool" / "tatoos mark you as part of the underclass".  It's just the way the medical profession _has_ to run itself.

Written By: Tia on 04/19/06 at 10:44 pm

Tia, you weirdo,  I applaud the weirdness that you have a tattoo of Tattoo but actually, that is quite clever and original. but it's still weird
i'm sorry, i thought you knew i was weird already. i hate it when people have to figure that out all over again.

i actually am kidding, i don't really have a Tattoo tattoo. but i was thinking about it walking back from the metro and it's not that bad an idea, you actually get a tattoo of Tattoo with a tattooed speech balloon saying "da plane! da plane!" and he's all pointing and then... here's the kicker.... somewhere ELSE on your body, where he's pointing, you get a tattoo of a plane!!

it's just crazy enough to work!

Written By: jackas on 04/19/06 at 10:59 pm

i'm sorry, i thought you knew i was weird already. i hate it when people have to figure that out all over again.

i actually am kidding, i don't really have a Tattoo tattoo. but i was thinking about it walking back from the metro and it's not that bad an idea, you actually get a tattoo of Tattoo with a tattooed speech balloon saying "da plane! da plane!" and he's all pointing and then... here's the kicker.... somewhere ELSE on your body, where he's pointing, you get a tattoo of a plane!!

And then get the words "Fantasy Island" tattooed right above your package. ::)

Written By: Tia on 04/19/06 at 11:04 pm

oo! jacks, you weirdo! i like the way you think!

Written By: jackas on 04/19/06 at 11:07 pm

oo! jacks, you weirdo! i like the way you think!

:D

I felt bad for you being the lone weirdo on this thread. :P

Written By: Tia on 04/19/06 at 11:09 pm

:D

I felt bad for you being the lone weirdo on this thread. :P
thanks for the fire support yo. i hate getting left on the beach.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 04/20/06 at 1:57 am

hahhah yeah, of course you don't have that tattoo.  I was only teasing ya, you ain't "that" weird. and I applauded you. 

thanks for the fire support yo. i hate getting left on the beach.
but still ya had to call in the heavy artillery for backup.

my tattoo is just Mr Rourke saying "welcome"

Check for new replies or respond here...