inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Anyone considering uni in the future?

Written By: Stompgal on 07/09/04 at 1:41 pm

I am. It's going to be the UWN (University of Wales, Newport) in Caerleon because it is near my home and they do BA (Hons) Animation Degree courses plus a special school, the School of Art, Media and Design. It sounds very interesting, but I am starting a year later than originally planned because I'm thinking about taking a gap year from June 2006 - August 2007 as mentioned in the gap years topic. I finish college in 2006.

Subject: Re: Anyone considering uni in the future?

Written By: Bobo on 07/09/04 at 1:45 pm

Well, this is my transition year, and the places I'm heading do HN... D courses, in Music Technology. Two of the places I'm thinking of are Telford (20 minutes away) or Worcester (which is about 1.5 hours away). I prefer it at Worcester, but I've got funding which means that it doesn't matter which one I actually go to.

But yeah, I'm off to one of those in September. Termtimes start around the beginning of September, though - these places are both sixth-form colleges running Further Ed courses.

I'm going to enjoy it, whichever one I choose, though.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/09/04 at 1:51 pm

Been there, done that!  :)

Written By: Bobby on 07/09/04 at 3:51 pm

I'm not sure. I don't have the motivation to work and go to university at the same time.

Written By: Sentimentalist on 07/09/04 at 6:37 pm

Going on my 2nd year in college.  Nursing here I come!
God lyk!

Written By: AssKicker on 07/19/04 at 12:58 am

I'd like to do a computing degree and possibly game design as a post-grad course. I've been considering doing it in America (I might want to move there when I grow up... the system of government over here is far too left-wing, ugh) or possibly England, but I might stay in Scotland (we don't have the top-up fee system here yet) even if the unis here are less prestigious.

Written By: karen on 07/19/04 at 5:09 am

I'm not sure. I don't have the motivation to work and go to university at the same time.

That's certainly a harder way to do it I think.  Not that it stopped me! I left school a year after doing my O levels and started working at the local uni as a lab tech.  I went on day release to college and didn't stop this for another 11 years :o I did wind up with an MSc by the time I'd done though.

If you want to try it the Open University sometimes let you try one or two modules to see how it fits in with your life.  It might be the way to go if you are unhappy with your current job situation.

Written By: karen on 07/19/04 at 5:10 am

but I might stay in Scotland (we don't have the top-up fee system here yet) even if the unis here are less prestigious.

I wouldn't say St Andrews, for example, is considered less prestigious than many English Uni's

Written By: Paul on 07/19/04 at 6:59 am

I never even considered it at the time...I hated studying, and just wanted to get out into the workplace - none of my immediate family went either...

A few of my friends did go...got the honours and all that...and very good jobs to boot. They do ask me from time to time whether I regretted not partaking, I just say 'no'...

But whilst they were at Uni, I did go for the odd visit - and probably another reason it was best I didn't go was the Union Bar! I don't think I'd ever made it through a single term sober...!!

But for all those here who are contemplating or are definitely on their way to further education - all the best in whatever you do...

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/19/04 at 12:14 pm

I never even considered it at the time...I hated studying, and just wanted to get out into the workplace - none of my immediate family went either...

My folks gave me the ultimatum.  They said, "Either you stay with us, go to college and we'll pay for it... or you're on your own!"  ???

I floundered for a bit before finally getting serious about what I was doing.

Written By: Paul on 07/20/04 at 7:21 am

My folks gave me the ultimatum.  They said, "Either you stay with us, go to college and we'll pay for it... or you're on your own!"  ???

I floundered for a bit before finally getting serious about what I was doing.

When someone puts it to you that clearly, well...at least you knew where you stood...!!

If you don't mind me asking, Karen - what did you study?

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/20/04 at 1:15 pm

When someone puts it to you that clearly, well...at least you knew where you stood...!!

If you don't mind me asking, Karen - what did you study?

I don't mind at all, Paul..... (Hey, that rhymes!)

I have a B.A. in Art....not that I've been able to use it.  :-\\

Written By: Paul on 07/20/04 at 2:02 pm

I have a B.A. in Art....not that I've been able to use it.  :-\\

Oh, come on, Miss Modesty...your pottery could be classed as art, couldn't it?!!

Certainly is an art as far as I'm concerned...I always had two left hands on the rare occasions I encountered a potter's wheel...I did make several hundred lovely ashtrays, tho'...!!

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/20/04 at 2:13 pm

Oh, come on, Miss Modesty...your pottery could be classed as art, couldn't it?!!

You're so sweet, Paul!  :-*

Certainly is an art as far as I'm concerned...I always had two left hands on the rare occasions I encountered a potter's wheel...I did make several hundred lovely ashtrays, tho'...!!

Learning how to use a potter's wheel doesn't happen overnight....it takes LOTS of practice and dedication.  I've been making pots for about 18 years now.

Oh yes, ashtrays!  I've made my share of those!  ;) 

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 07/21/04 at 7:16 am

Been there, done that!  :)

Never been there, no intention of doing so either  :)

Written By: Bobby on 02/11/10 at 5:25 pm

That's certainly a harder way to do it I think.  Not that it stopped me! I left school a year after doing my O levels and started working at the local uni as a lab tech.  I went on day release to college and didn't stop this for another 11 years :o I did wind up with an MSc by the time I'd done though.

If you want to try it the Open University sometimes let you try one or two modules to see how it fits in with your life.  It might be the way to go if you are unhappy with your current job situation.

Let's answer this six years later, lol.

That takes an amazing amount of dedication, Karen. Absolutely brilliant.  8)

I am still doing the same job after 8 years at Royal Mail. At the moment, despite it's problems, my job seems relatively secure but if I do lose it I think I may try for college first and learn a trade and then afterwards go to university for more academic pursuits.

Check for new replies or respond here...