inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Who was your childhood hero?

Written By: Stompgal on 07/16/04 at 3:12 am

My childhood hero was Art Attack presenter Neil Buchanan. His show inspired me to try out the things he made, he's advisable ("Keep your room tidy.") and he's a brillinat artist. I even had an Art Attack CD ROM and I've even got an AA video. I used to read Art Attack Magazine, too. I even wated to meet Neil when I was younger. I've admirerd him since the age of five or six. Over to you...

Subject: Re: Who was your childhood hero?

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 07/16/04 at 8:38 am

A 70's english footballer named Allan Clarke

(Not the same Alan Clarke that sung for the Hollies in the 70's)  :)

Written By: maddog on 07/16/04 at 10:20 am

A 70's english footballer named Allan Clarke

He of Leeds United fame!?

When I was a young lad and a keen Liverpool supporter, Leeds United were the deadly enemy. 
My hero was Kevin Keegan. He scored a hatrick (against Ipswich  ::)) in the first game I went to see at Anfield and I had his
poster on my wall for years until he was replaced by Suzi Quatro.

My three daughters still watch Neil Buchanan on Art Attack now Stompgal, I'm not sure if they're old repeats or new episodes though?

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/16/04 at 12:47 pm

Steve Prefontaine

I remember watching the 1972 Olympics with my older brother and thinking..."I would love to be a runner just like Steve Prefontaine"...32 years later I still have that fire inside!

============================================================
A man who was favored to win the 5,000 Meter run at the 1976 Montreal Olympics. A man who owned every American running record from 2,000 Meters to 10,000 Meters and 2 Miles to 6 Miles at the time of his death in May 1975.
=============================================================
For five years, no American runner could beat Pre at any distance over a mile. Then in May 1975 "PRE" finally lost. Driving home from a party of which he had drunk four to five beers in a several hour period, Steve Prefontaine died in a one car rollover accident. PRE's death was not just another drinking and driving accident, it was the night, The American Distance runner died...

"The Magic Was Gone Forever."
Rick Riley
Pre once said...
"Most people run a race to see who is fastest.
I run a race to see who has the most guts."
http://www2.localaccess.com/rlalonde/Pre/lastrace.jpg
This picture is Pre in his last race...the night of his death

Written By: Harmonica on 07/16/04 at 2:25 pm

When I was really little it was fake people like Superman and Batman, but as I got older and realized what a hero actually was I started to look at the actual hero's in this world. First off I want to say that firemen, policemen, paramedics, doctors, they're the real hero's in this world, no doubt about it.

My personal hero's for the most part were amateur wrestlers. Guys that worked their tails off to be the best they could, guys that sacrificed so much to be good on the mat, guys that showed a tremendous amount of class and sportsmanship.  These guys include the likes of LeRoy Vega, Doc Vecchio, Jamie Heidt, Gray Maynard, Matt Anderson, Johnny Thompson, Chris Pendleton, and many more.

A Kid from my Local High school that was a senior when I was a 8th grader to me is also a hero. His name was Shawn Monroe and he worked his tail off, no he never did make it to state, and to most people he will be forgotten but the dedication and hard work he put into it was something way beyond.  Another kid I'll add in is Brandon Graham who like Monroe worked his tail off, Brandon is the hardest working individual in anything, that I have ever known. His hard work paid off in the end with a 6th place finish at state his junior year and a 2nd place finish at state his senior year. Although I was happy to see him make the finals, I was hoping oh so bad that He'd win the championship, because no one in the U.S.A that year deserved it more than he did.

Bret Hart, and Del Wilkes the Patriot,  professional wrestlers, I also look at as a heros. They did what was right even when everyone else did what was wrong. They stood up for morality and being the good guy even when the WWE and professional wrestling got into the'"attitude" era of the late 90's.

Written By: Billy Florio on 07/17/04 at 3:23 pm

Rush Limbaugh  ;)

ok, so that wasnt exactly childhood lol

Written By: Bobby on 07/17/04 at 7:02 pm

My childhood hero was Art Attack presenter Neil Buchanan. His show inspired me to try out the things he made, he's advisable ("Keep your room tidy.") and he's a brillinat artist. I even had an Art Attack CD ROM and I've even got an AA video. I used to read Art Attack Magazine, too. I even wated to meet Neil when I was younger. I've admirerd him since the age of five or six. Over to you...

Neil Buchanan!?! Unbelievable! He has been in the children's TV presenting business for so long, Stompgal it's incredible. I'm going to give you a history lesson . . .  ;D

The first time I heard of Neil was on the CITV Saturday morning show called 'Number 73' back in 1984 (I think) and I used to watch it religiously on the weekend until it finished around 1988 (again I think). It also featured Call my bluff regular Sandi Toksvig as a lady called Ethel.

From there, Neil did Motor Mouth which went on for about two series. He also featured in the 'live comic' called Zapp. More notably as an artist who would paint things and he would use them!

I think he's been Art Attack for at least 13 or 14 years!  :o

My childhood hero? I suppose I would consider Timmy Mallet to be the only person I wanted to watch on telly in my wasted youth (Shows my mentality  ;D). I loved the Wide Awake Club (as mentioned in other posts).

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/17/04 at 7:07 pm

Historically-John Adams
Media-wise-Bill Bixby
Personally-my 2nd grade teacher.

Cat

Written By: Jessica on 07/17/04 at 8:54 pm

My grandfather. No long explanation why. I loved the man and respected everything he did. Like all good people though, he died way too young.

Written By: Harmonica on 07/17/04 at 10:34 pm

Media-wise-Bill Bixby

Cat

I personally think very highly of Bill Bixby he had such a passion for acting. He was one of the all time greats. I personally didn't care for the new Hulk movie because I was so into Bill Bixby being David Bannor, and his role as the character. I thought the new movie was a disgrace to the old TV show and they way Bixby portrayed Bannor. However, they're intent was to be true to the comic book not the Sci Fi series.  I still would like to see a Hulk movie based more on what Bixby's side of the Hulk was like. Bill died way to young, way to young.

Written By: Bobby on 07/18/04 at 6:18 am

My grandfather. No long explanation why. I loved the man and respected everything he did. Like all good people though, he died way too young.

A grand childhood hero, Jessica. My grandad was my influential hero as well.  :)

Written By: AssKicker on 07/18/04 at 7:03 am

Being a Christian it'd have to be Jesus, but if we're only going to list "normal" humans then my hero was and is Jeff Minter.
For ages I thought, "How on earth am I going to be able to be a games designer when the only games selling are made by huge companies like Microsoft and Nintendo, which are already well-established? There's no room on the market for the insane codings of a weird teenage girl, surely?"
Then I heard about people like Jeff Minter achieving fame in game design and not through setting up some big, sell-out company that churns out sequels every five minutes.
And I decided that if he could do it,
SO COULD I.
So I'm now working on my first game project and I hope to sell it sometime next year or the year after (and being under 18 I shan't have to pay tax on my income from it... LOL, if I make anything, that is. ;))

Written By: Paul on 07/18/04 at 7:14 am

My childhood hero was Art Attack presenter Neil Buchanan. His show inspired me to try out the things he made, he's advisable ("Keep your room tidy.") and he's a brillinat artist.

Yes, I've seen a bit of his stuff and it's very good...

But the guv'nor of 'em all, Tony Hart, was better...what this guy couldn't do with a white-line painter, washing-up bottles and decorating rollers (eat your heart out, Rolf...!!) didn't bear thinking about...brilliant...

Written By: jaytee on 07/18/04 at 8:36 am

My kids still love Art Attack.

My childhood hero was my big brother :)

Written By: Bobo on 07/18/04 at 8:41 am

I vaguely remember reading about Peter Morris winning the inaugural Scrabble World Championships in 1991 against Brian Cappalletto and thinking how I'd one day love to be that genius.

Nowadays, I'm not so sure...

Otherwise, I'd agree with Bobby. Timmy Mallett was just the epitome of everything. Except for the "not holding a ridiculously oversized mallet" and "not being totally foolish and hilarious" awards, which are both ones which he would lose out on.

Written By: Bobby on 07/18/04 at 12:45 pm

Yes, I've seen a bit of his stuff and it's very good...

But the guv'nor of 'em all, Tony Hart, was better...what this guy couldn't do with a white-line painter, washing-up bottles and decorating rollers (eat your heart out, Rolf...!!) didn't bear thinking about...brilliant...

Tony Hart seemed less aproachable for some reason but I used to love his work. He would start off doing something and you think it would turn out rubbish only to see a magnificent scenery picture at the end. I love the use of 'Close (to the edit)' by Art of Noise while he used the computer and, of course, Morph was great.  ;D

Written By: Bobby on 07/18/04 at 12:55 pm

Otherwise, I'd agree with Bobby. Timmy Mallett was just the epitome of everything. Except for the "not holding a ridiculously oversized mallet" and "not being totally foolish and hilarious" awards, which are both ones which he would lose out on.

Timmy was certainly an acquired taste. His piercing high voice and strange mannerisms could easily scare as well as amuse kids. However, some of his catchphrases were brilliant . . .

For anyone, remotely interested in what a lot of kids used to watch during the 80s. Here's a couple of websites. The first is from the series Timmy started on and the second is Wacaday which was the great show which was shown during school holidays.

http://www.cjetech.co.uk/watched_it/wac.html

http://www.brillianttv.co.uk/wacaday/

Written By: AssKicker on 07/30/04 at 6:03 pm

Apparently Neil Buchanan was kicked out of art college when he was younger. :o Hard to believe, eh?

Written By: Bobby on 07/30/04 at 6:42 pm

Apparently Neil Buchanan was kicked out of art college when he was younger. :o Hard to believe, eh?

Typically ironic ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...