inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: the trouble with trains today

Written By: Howard on 07/17/04 at 4:53 pm

I've decided to bring this topic back from 2 years ago.Last time,we talked about our pet peeves,now let's move on to something else.The MTA these days have a new sign entitled "If You See Something,Say Something.That's a good slogan but I doubt if it'll work.When you're on the train,just take a look around you inside and outside,observe the people even if they aren't paying attention to you.As far as I'm concerned,I don't trust anyone anymore. >:( How about you pay attention to the people who wear sunglasses on the trains? ;D Thats a good observance.I've seen a whole lot of crap that's happened when I used to take the F train every single day for 4 years.That's why I will not take the trains to go to work,BUT I will take the trains to go places.It just made me feel more anxious and nervous. :( How about you?  :)

Howard

Subject: Re: the trouble with trains today

Written By: Paul on 07/17/04 at 6:05 pm

Dear ol' British Rail (as was) used to have a great slogan too - 'We're Getting There'...

...once we'd all stopped laughing and picked ourselves up off the floor...

Seriously Howard, although there's been calls for diligence and alertness on our trains - mostly by politicians who never use one! - most of my fellow commuters are too busy snoring it up most mornings to notice anything!

How something's not kicked off here yet is anyone's guess...

...I used to take the F train every single day for 4 years.

I've taken the 'F-ing' train every day since I've left school...!!

Written By: Bobby on 07/17/04 at 8:18 pm

I rarely travel in trains. I tend to use coaches quite a bit.

Written By: Howard on 07/18/04 at 3:11 pm

No,you don't undertstand. The F Train was the name of my train that I took for 4 years,Paul. ;D

Howard

Written By: Howard on 07/18/04 at 3:14 pm

Now,they say that photography is illegal on the trains.So,does that mean you can't take pictures of the passengers as they sit down and stare at you? What wrong with something to be remembered by? ;D

Howard

Written By: Fred on 07/18/04 at 9:21 pm

Are these trains, on subways, or above ground trains?

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/18/04 at 10:53 pm

ROFL!  ;D

We don't have a rail system here although we could really use one!  Sitting in rush-hour traffic on the freeway for 3 hours out of your day gets really old....oh wait, I work from home!  ;D :D

Seriously, I'm in favor of rapid transit but a lot of the locals here fear that it will be an eyesore if it ever happens!  ::)

Written By: Howard on 07/19/04 at 9:28 pm

Are these trains, on subways, or above ground trains?

No Fred below ground.

Howard

Written By: Fred on 07/21/04 at 3:27 am

No Fred below ground.

Howard

So, we're talking about subway trains then. Haven't had much experiance with them, but I know I don't wanna be down there when an Earthquake happens.  :P

Written By: Howard on 07/21/04 at 9:37 pm

So, we're talking about subway trains then. Haven't had much experiance with them, but I know I don't wanna be down there when an Earthquake happens.  :P

and you also don't want to be there when someone has a epileptic seizure. :o

Howard

Written By: Fred on 07/23/04 at 12:45 am

and you also don't want to be there when someone has a epileptic seizure. :o

Howard

You were there? Crazy...  :o

Written By: Howard on 07/23/04 at 9:07 pm

You were there? Crazy...  :o

I've read it in the papers and when I used to take the trains,thank god I've never seen one in person :o
I'm so lucky! :o

Howard

Written By: Howard on 07/08/06 at 7:20 am

If You See Something,Say Something:

Does anyone actually pay attention to this sign anymore? ::)

I mean,What happens if you're deaf and you have trouble
reporting something in the train or on/near the platform,Would someone have to get an officer who could read sign language? ;D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/08/06 at 12:31 pm

I've decided to bring this topic back from 2 years ago.Last time,we talked about our pet peeves,now let's move on to something else.The MTA these days have a new sign entitled "If You See Something,Say Something.That's a good slogan but I doubt if it'll work.When you're on the train,just take a look around you inside and outside,observe the people even if they aren't paying attention to you.As far as I'm concerned,I don't trust anyone anymore. >:( How about you pay attention to the people who wear sunglasses on the trains? ;D Thats a good observance.I've seen a whole lot of crap that's happened when I used to take the F train every single day for 4 years.That's why I will not take the trains to go to work,BUT I will take the trains to go places.It just made me feel more anxious and nervous. :( How about you?

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/08/06 at 12:46 pm

If You See Something,Say Something:

Does anyone actually pay attention to this sign anymore? ::)

I mean,What happens if you're deaf and you have trouble
reporting something in the train or on/near the platform,Would someone have to get an officer who could read sign language? ;D

The God's honest truth is that alot of people wouldn't lift a finger if they wittnessed somewhere they knew was not above board...

Written By: Gis on 07/09/06 at 3:33 am

The problem with the trains at the moment is simple. They started to replace all the track along my route at the beginging of the year which causes major disruption. Now this can only have come from some high up management suit who HAS NO IDEA how tracks work.

The old track comes in sections with small gaps between the sections this is so the metal rail can expand and contract in the hot and cold weather. They in their wisdom, are replacing it with continous metal rails. This mean for the last two weeks in our current heat wave the trains have been massively delayed or cancelled because the tracks are buckling in the heat, nowhere for the expansion to go you see. It truely makes you wonder about the so called management...............

Written By: Howard on 07/09/06 at 7:16 pm

What's the problem with people who wear sunglasses on a train?  If the train is above ground, it'll be sunny.......I'm not taking my shades off just because I'm in an enclosed area.  Trains have windows.  If they leave them on when the train is underground......big deal.  I do that alot.  I don't bother taking them off because I know I'll be above ground shortly.

And why would you want to take pictures on a train?  That's just effing weird.

I guess people take pictures because of strangers that stare a lot or I guess because of memories.

To answer the second question,I thought people wear sunglasses cause they're afraid of being stared at when they're on the train? ???

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/09/06 at 7:18 pm

To answer the second question,I thought people wear sunglasses cause they're afraid of being stared at when they're on the train? ???

You think that's why people wear sunglasses?  I guess you're the type to enjoy having your retinas burned by direct sunlight.

Written By: Howard on 07/09/06 at 7:19 pm

The God's honest truth is that alot of people wouldn't lift a finger if they wittnessed somewhere they knew was not above board...

So If you saw something,would you keep your mouth shut?

Written By: Howard on 07/09/06 at 7:20 pm

You think that's why people wear sunglasses? 

I'm guessing that's one reason.Young women do it because of predators on the train.They don't want to directly stare so they wear sunglasses to ignore them.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/09/06 at 7:22 pm

I'm guessing that's one reason.Young women do it because of predators on the train.They don't want to directly stare so they wear sunglasses to ignore them.

Huh?  That makes you look even *more* suspicious if you're sitting in the subway wearing sunglasses.  There are other, less dumb ways to ignore people than slapping on the Ray-Bans.

Written By: Howard on 07/09/06 at 7:24 pm

Huh?  That makes you look even *more* suspicious if you're sitting in the subway wearing sunglasses.  There are other, less dumb ways to ignore people than slapping on the Ray-Bans.

What I do is I pretend to listen to music even though the radio Isn't on and my headphones are on my ears or I could sleep,take a nap,read a newspaper or just stare at the ugly people. ;D

Written By: DJ Midas on 07/09/06 at 7:27 pm

What's the problem with people who wear sunglasses on a train?  If the train is above ground, it'll be sunny.......I'm not taking my shades off just because I'm in an enclosed area.  Trains have windows.  If they leave them on when the train is underground......big deal.  I do that alot.  I don't bother taking them off because I know I'll be above ground shortly.

Lookout!  She's suspicious!  :D ;D

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/09/06 at 7:30 pm

OMG LOL PWNED UHF ICQ!!!!111!!one!!1!

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/09/06 at 7:30 pm

*yawn*

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/09/06 at 7:31 pm

OMG LOL PWNED UHF ICQ!!!!111!!one!!1!

*yawn again*

Written By: DJ Midas on 07/09/06 at 7:32 pm

Aww, tired?  :D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/09/06 at 7:36 pm

Aww, tired?  :D

Tired of the ganging-up crap?  Yes.  How good of you to notice.

BTW, I was talking about people who put the sunglasses on when they're already underground.  You know, the train is completely subterranean and doesn't come above ground?  See here in Atlanta, we have this thing called MARTA and it goes above ground and below ground.  When the train is above ground and you have your shades on and then you don't take them off when it goes below ground, that's one thing.  However, when you didn't have them on in the first place and then you all of a sudden put them below ground......that makes you look weird.  See, I bet you didn't notice that when you trying to "pwn" me or however that crap goes.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/09/06 at 7:37 pm

Y'know what, Howard?  Here in NW Indiana, I take the South Shore Line to get into Chicago and they have a similar sign at the Metra/South Shore stations that to keep the trains safe, you should report suspicious actions immediately.  I don't know what you would consider "suspicious", but most of the time people keep pretty much to themselves...every now and then you have the wacky bum who stumbled onto the station platform by mistake because he thought he was going to the Sears Tower or something ( :D ) but otherwise nothing too crazy.

Written By: DJ Midas on 07/09/06 at 7:41 pm

BTW, I was talking about people who put the sunglasses on when they're already underground.  You know, the train is completely subterranean and doesn't come above ground?  See here in Atlanta, we have this thing called MARTA and it goes above ground and below ground.  When the train is above ground and you have your shades on and then you don't take them off when it goes below ground, that's one thing.  However, when you didn't have them on in the first place and then you all of a sudden put them below ground......that makes you look weird.  See, I bet you didn't notice that when you trying to "pwn" me or however that crap goes.

Wow.  This is the PLAYFUL Penguin Place.  Was playing.  Sheesh.

I've been to Atlanta and NYC and have ridden MARTA and the NYC Subway system.

I wasn't trying to pwn you or whatever.  So get off it.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/09/06 at 7:44 pm

Wow.  This is the PLAYFUL Penguin Place.  Was playing.  Sheesh.

I've been to Atlanta and NYC and have ridden MARTA and the NYC Subway system.

I wasn't trying to pwn you or whatever.  So get off it.

Get off what?  My chair?  If I get off my chair I can't type because I have a hella time typing standing up.

Written By: PaperGirl on 07/09/06 at 7:45 pm

You can hit that "report to moderator" button if he bothers you so much.  

It was a joke, for petes sake.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/09/06 at 7:45 pm

Ah, but can you walk and chew gum?

Sometimes I type standing up.  Usually when the baby steals my chair...punk baby :P  When I get a wireless keyboard, I can type from anywhere!  :D  As long as I am within the signal range, of course.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/09/06 at 7:46 pm

You can hit that "report to moderator" button if he bothers you so much. 

Right.  I'm going to report someone to a mod the first time they say something I don't like/agree with/get.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/09/06 at 7:47 pm

I don't chew gum. 

Written By: DJ Midas on 07/09/06 at 7:47 pm

Get off what?  My chair?  If I get off my chair I can't type because I have a hella time typing standing up.

Funny! :D  See?  Playing.  Good for you.  :)

Written By: PaperGirl on 07/09/06 at 7:48 pm

Sometimes I type standing up.  Usually when the baby steals my chair...punk baby :P  When I get a wireless keyboard, I can type from anywhere!  :D  As long as I am within the signal range, of course.

I can type from the couch on the other end of the office with mine!  ;D

Written By: Tia on 07/09/06 at 8:02 pm

people who type standing up are suspicious. so are people who yawn.

and people who report other people to moderators.

Written By: Howard on 07/10/06 at 4:52 pm

I'm tired of the bums that take up 3 seats and wind up smelling like old socks and beer with headcovers over their head making it look like they're sleeping with bags of cans or garbage right next to them. :P  ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/12/08 at 6:59 am

I find that London Transport are always having signal failures causing train delays, is there a conspiracy going on?

Written By: Howard on 04/12/08 at 7:43 am

trains are never on time.  ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/13/08 at 8:44 am

trains are never on time.  ::)
That is if the trains arrive in the first place.

Written By: Howard on 04/14/08 at 4:18 pm

That is if the trains arrive in the first place.

or sometimes they pass you by.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 04/14/08 at 4:39 pm

'The trouble with trains today' is

they are full to the brim with sodding people  >:(

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/14/08 at 4:40 pm

they are full to the brim with sodding people   >:(
Don't remind me!

Written By: Howard on 04/14/08 at 4:41 pm

they are full to the brim with sodding people   >:(

I'm going to take Greyhound next time I see my friend to go upstate.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/14/08 at 4:47 pm

I'm going to take Greyhound next time I see my friend to go upstate.
That will be full as well.

Written By: Howard on 04/14/08 at 4:51 pm

That will be full as well.

It's better than taking Amtrak.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/14/08 at 4:52 pm

It's better than taking Amtrak.
Amtrak is the train?

Written By: Howard on 04/14/08 at 4:53 pm

Amtrak is the train?

Well,it's a coach-train.

Written By: danootaandme on 04/14/08 at 4:53 pm

Amtrak is the train?

Yes, but I love Amtrak, well, I haven't had too many problems.  I think I would hate the bus

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/14/08 at 4:54 pm

Yes, but I love Amtrak, well, I haven't had too many problems.  I think I would hate the bus
Amtrak would be quicker?

Written By: Howard on 04/14/08 at 4:54 pm

What do you hate about it?

Written By: danootaandme on 04/14/08 at 4:57 pm

It would be too confining for a long ride.  At least on Amtrak you can get up and go to the cafe, and you can walk from one end to the other just to move about a bit, and they have very clean toilets

Written By: Howard on 04/14/08 at 4:59 pm

It would be too confining for a long ride.  At least on Amtrak you can get up and go to the cafe, and you can walk from one end to the other just to move about a bit, and they have very clean toilets

Yeah that's true.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/29/08 at 3:58 pm

Coming back home from my interview there was Severe Delays in the lines, so I gave up all hope and took a taxi home.

Written By: Howard on 04/30/08 at 7:05 am

Now on trains,they have bomb sniffing dogs.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/30/08 at 9:12 am

Now on trains,they have bomb sniffing dogs.
Not a good sign?

Written By: Howard on 05/01/08 at 3:58 pm

Not a good sign?

very distracting.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/01/08 at 4:13 pm

very distracting.
I think about getting off the train if I could.

Written By: Howard on 05/01/08 at 4:14 pm

I think about getting off the train if I could.

Me too but they're for protection.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/01/08 at 4:54 pm

Me too but they're for protection.
What can a dog do?

Written By: Howard on 05/02/08 at 7:23 am

What can a dog do?

sniff out predators.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/02/08 at 8:08 am

sniff out predators.
Sniff out those passengers without tickets?

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/03/08 at 6:57 am

The whole west side of the District Line is playing up today, repairs to the line and buses replacing trains, it is not worth travelling in that direction.

Written By: Howard on 05/03/08 at 7:14 am

Sniff out those passengers without tickets?

No,terrorists.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/03/08 at 7:32 am

No,terrorists.
Terrorists that do not have tickets?

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/04/08 at 9:01 am

The whole west side of the District Line is playing up today, repairs to the line and buses replacing trains, it is not worth travelling in that direction.
This limits travelling to the best of places.

Written By: Howard on 05/04/08 at 5:03 pm

Terrorists that do not have tickets?

terrorists that have bombs.

Written By: danootaandme on 05/05/08 at 4:52 pm

terrorists that have bombs.

It is the ones with out of control kids that do the most damage.  Every train should have a Nanny 911 on board

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/05/08 at 5:02 pm

It is the ones with out of control kids that do the most damage.  Every train should have a Nanny 911 on board
The same for London on the buses when it is home time from school.

Written By: Howard on 05/06/08 at 3:03 pm

What would they do?  ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/06/08 at 5:25 pm

What would they do?  ???
Strap them into their seats!

Written By: Howard on 05/07/08 at 7:18 am

Strap them into their seats!

and keep them there.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/07/08 at 7:24 am

and keep them there.
While the children do their homework.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/09/08 at 4:53 am

Two days ago, there was a huge Power Failure on The Tube at Edgware Road Station, the whole system was shutdown and caused confusion with the late evening Rush Hour.

Written By: Howard on 05/09/08 at 4:53 pm

they're so slow.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/09/08 at 4:54 pm

they're so slow.
Trains in general do take the ime in travelling between stations.

Written By: Howard on 05/09/08 at 4:56 pm

Trains in general do take the ime in travelling between stations.

It gets very irritating.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/09/08 at 5:42 pm

It gets very irritating.
...even the buses are slow!

Written By: Howard on 05/10/08 at 7:38 am

...even the buses are slow!

and crowded too.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/10/08 at 11:12 am

and crowded too.
I blame the traffic on the road.

Written By: Howard on 05/10/08 at 6:24 pm

I blame the traffic on the road.

I blame the overcrowdedness on the people.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/11/08 at 6:57 am

I blame the overcrowdedness on the people.
Too many people, too many cars, and hot weather does not help.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/11/08 at 8:05 am

Shall I take the Last Train to Clarksville?  Will you meet me at the station?

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/11/08 at 11:30 am

Shall I take the Last Train to Clarksville?  Will you meet me at the station?
I think I missed it!

Written By: danootaandme on 05/11/08 at 3:54 pm

I think I missed it!

You were supposed to be there by 4:30, she made her reservation, you must have been slow

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/11/08 at 4:05 pm

You were supposed to be there by 4:30, she made her reservation, you must have been slow
I was slow, I had to grind the beans for the coffee ready for your conversation.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/11/08 at 4:22 pm

oh, no, no, no!
Oh, no, no, no!

'Cause I'm leavin' in the morning
And I must see him again

Written By: Howard on 05/11/08 at 4:45 pm

Too many people, too many cars, and hot weather does not help.

It's the population in the US.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/12/08 at 1:03 am

It's the population in the US.
Not only the US, it is happening to all countries.

Written By: Howard on 05/12/08 at 6:42 am

Not only the US, it is happening to all countries.

and no wonder trains and buses are way overcrowded. ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/12/08 at 6:45 am

and no wonder trains and buses are way overcrowded. ::)
...and you have to include all the immigrants.

Written By: Howard on 05/12/08 at 7:01 am

...and you have to include all the immigrants.

You're right about that,too many of them too.  ::)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/12/08 at 7:29 am

*starts singing like Johnny Cash*
I hear the train a comin'
it's rolling round the bend
and I ain't seen the sunshine since I don't know when

Written By: karen on 05/12/08 at 8:25 am

Twas in the year of eighty-nine
On that ole Chicago line
When the winter wind was blowing shrill

Written By: Tam on 05/12/08 at 1:49 pm

The rails were froze, the winds were cold
And the air brakes wouldn't hold
When number 9 came rollin down the hill...

(I think that's how it goes, if I remember correctly) LOL ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/12/08 at 1:52 pm

Last  train to San Fernando, last train to San Fernando
If you miss the one, you'll never get another one
Bee-dee-dee-dee-bom-bom to San Fernando.

Written By: karen on 05/12/08 at 2:00 pm

The rails were froze, the winds were cold
And the air brakes wouldn't hold
When number 9 came rollin down the hill...

(I think that's how it goes, if I remember correctly) LOL ;D

Looks about right.  I stopped where I did because I couldn't remember the next line!

Written By: Paul on 05/12/08 at 2:03 pm

'The runaway train came down the track and she blew...'

(I could've also stuck this in the 'B-Side' thread, as it was exactly that!)

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/13/08 at 2:59 am

'The runaway train came down the track and she blew...'

(I could've also stuck this in the 'B-Side' thread, as it was exactly that!)
Good news from Boris on the Oyster Card in London?

Written By: Howard on 05/13/08 at 7:00 am

Stand Clear Of The Closing Doors "boop-boop". ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/13/08 at 7:03 am

Stand Clear Of The Closing Doors "boop-boop". ;D
"Mind The Gap!"

Written By: Howard on 05/13/08 at 7:21 am

"Mind The Gap!"

I'm suprised all the accidents that has occurred over the past couple of years. :o

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/13/08 at 7:40 am

I'm suprised all the acidents that has occurred over the past couple of years. :o
Accidents have been happening since day one!

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/13/08 at 7:51 am

Hopefully this isn't the Orient Express, since somebody always gets killed in the movies on that train.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/13/08 at 8:18 am

September 15, 1830 – Newton-le-willows, England: William Huskisson (Member of Parliament) becomes first passenger train death. Killed by Stephenson's Rocket at the opening of the Liverpool and Manchester Railway.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/13/08 at 8:19 am

Hopefully this isn't the Orient Express, since somebody always gets killed in the movies on that train.
...or anywhere where Jessica Fletcher turns up on holiday.

Written By: Howard on 05/13/08 at 2:51 pm

The MTA is trying to keep trains safe.

Written By: Stompgal on 05/13/08 at 3:14 pm

The last train journey I took was on 25th March 2008. It was a Tuesday afternoon and I was returning to London from a family stay in Newport, South Wales. My train was delayed by approximately 20 minutes at Cardiff Central before it came to Newport, there was a carriage hold-up at Didcot Parkway and a child in another carriage somehow or other broke a window at Reading. Some train journeys are so frustrating, especially when there are lots of delays...

Written By: Howard on 05/14/08 at 7:41 am

There's always something wrong with trains,overcrowdedness. >:(

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/14/08 at 3:06 pm

Wonder if we're riding on the Marakesh Express?

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/16/08 at 4:18 am

All on board that train

Written By: Howard on 05/16/08 at 3:33 pm

All on board that train

The party train.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/17/08 at 8:50 am

The party train.
I think we all prefer to travel by bus now?

Written By: Howard on 05/17/08 at 3:03 pm

I think we all prefer to travel by bus now?

The Lunatic Bus.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/17/08 at 3:15 pm

The Lunatic Bus.
That is the one!

Written By: Howard on 05/17/08 at 3:16 pm

That is the one!

There's always a party on there.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/17/08 at 3:17 pm

There's always a party on there.
Plenty of room for more inside.

Written By: Howard on 05/17/08 at 3:18 pm

Plenty of room for more inside.

or more lunatics.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/17/08 at 3:41 pm

or more lunatics.
You could say that?

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/17/08 at 6:48 pm

If Don Corneleus were here, we could call this "Soul Train".  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/18/08 at 3:11 am

If Don Corneleus were here, we could call this "Soul Train".   :)

Does the train still run?

Written By: Howard on 05/18/08 at 5:46 am

I don't know if it's still on anymore.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/18/08 at 6:57 am

I don't know if it's still on anymore.
The train is off the tracks?

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/18/08 at 11:22 am

It was really big in the 70s and 80s, now they just show reruns from that era.  It's been fun watching the reruns.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/18/08 at 11:51 am

It was really big in the 70s and 80s, now they just show reruns from that era.  It's been fun watching the reruns.
Even the train is a repeat?

Written By: Howard on 05/18/08 at 4:43 pm

a couple of years ago,Soul Train was full of hip hop music.  ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/19/08 at 7:43 am

The trains on the Tube in my area were playing up with Minor Delays, so II had to take the bus instead.

Written By: Howard on 05/19/08 at 2:44 pm

The trains on the Tube in my area were playing up with Minor Delays, so II had to take the bus instead.

I never knew trains had music.  ???

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/19/08 at 10:25 pm

No Howard, he means tunnel/underground (I think), tube is slang for tunnel in England.  I'm pretty sure.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/20/08 at 6:49 am

No Howard, he means tunnel/underground (I think), tube is slang for tunnel in England.  I'm pretty sure.

The Tube is the London Underground System.

But, classical music is played in the ticket office area of the stations, and I find it pleasant.

Written By: Howard on 05/20/08 at 7:07 am

The Tube is the London Underground System.

But, classical music is played in the ticket office area of the stations, and I find it pleasant.

They should play that at rush-hour in NYC. ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/20/08 at 7:23 am

They should play that at rush-hour in NYC. ;D
Classical music is piped into 40 Tube stations to reduce antisocial behaviour

Written By: Howard on 05/21/08 at 6:53 am

Classical music is piped into 40 Tube stations to reduce antisocial behaviour

Has this helped? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/21/08 at 7:24 am

Has this helped? ???
Yes it has, but my son hates it when we are together and I can tell him what piece of music is playing.

Written By: Howard on 05/22/08 at 3:04 pm

Yes it has, but my son hates it when we are together and I can tell him what piece of music is playing.

Imagine playing classical music at rush hour NYC time? :o

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/22/08 at 3:35 pm

Imagine playing classical music at rush hour NYC time? :o
It may be too noisy and the music may not be heard?

Written By: Howard on 05/23/08 at 6:34 am

It may be too noisy and the music may not be heard?

or people may have headphones on.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/23/08 at 1:39 pm

or people may have headphones on.
...and they (if the music can be heard through the headphones) will miss a treat.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/24/08 at 7:16 am

Typical for a Bank Holiday Weekend, engineering works are planned and several lines on The Tube have buses replacing trains.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/27/08 at 12:07 pm

For my journey back home today the trains had no delays and were running properly.

Written By: Howard on 05/28/08 at 7:27 am

For my journey back home today the trains had no delays and were running properly.

regular work schedule.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/28/08 at 7:56 am

regular work schedule.
It was then, but today, it was all back to delays, so I did not bother venturing far today.

Written By: Howard on 05/28/08 at 4:08 pm

It was then, but today, it was all back to delays, so I did not bother venturing far today.

How long of a delay? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/29/08 at 6:23 am

How long of a delay? ???
Ages, I did not hang around to find out.

Written By: Howard on 05/29/08 at 3:33 pm

Ages, I did not hang around to find out.

I hate when trains have delays.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/29/08 at 5:18 pm

I hate when trains have delays.
I would rather know before boarding on the train.

Written By: danootaandme on 06/01/08 at 6:08 am

terrible train crash in Boston the other day.  It seems the driver may have been on her cel phone at the time of the crash.  Terrible thing, she was 24 and her father used to come down and bring her her lunch with her everyday.

www.thebostonchannel.com/news/16421954/detail.html

Written By: Howard on 06/01/08 at 6:23 am

too many people are falling close to the tracks.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/01/08 at 6:26 am

There was a spot of bother on The Tube last night...

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/01/08 at 9:54 am

There was a spot of bother on The Tube last night...
I was not there!

Written By: Howard on 07/24/14 at 2:38 pm

What do you find that troubles you with trains today?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/24/14 at 4:05 pm

What do you find that troubles you with trains today?

They carry deadly explosives in cars that can't handle them. The industry says that it is too costly to upgrade them so we end up with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ai08xm7T20

And this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUCKxvBM0ww

And this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl_PR-N4tPE

I could go on but you get point.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 05/15/21 at 2:05 pm

I don't understand in this day and age do I see either it's the homeless or the mentalcases on the trains in the newspaper or on TV annoying the passengers, it's either getting bothered on the trains or it's someone getting pushed onto the tracks, it's getting way out of control now.

Written By: Ripley on 05/15/21 at 2:44 pm

We don’t have subways here in Kansas, at least not in my area. There are buses though and I find creeps always ride them. By creeps I mean the kind of people that come off like they want to mug and or assault you. Also perverts. As a female I feel really uncomfortable taking the bus, especially at night. I don’t trust people in general anyway. Not saying all people are creeps who ride with them but a lot are in my experience.

Written By: wagonman76 on 05/15/21 at 6:29 pm

Never been on a train or subway ever. I wanted to when I was a kid. These days I get motion sickness so I wouldn’t enjoy the ride. Around here they ripped up most of the railroad tracks in the late 80s.

Written By: Howard on 05/16/21 at 7:47 am

We don’t have subways here in Kansas, at least not in my area. There are buses though and I find creeps always ride them. By creeps I mean the kind of people that come off like they want to mug and or assault you. Also perverts. As a female I feel really uncomfortable taking the bus, especially at night. I don’t trust people in general anyway. Not saying all people are creeps who ride with them but a lot are in my experience.

They're trying to bring more policing onto the trains and buses these days just to feel safer.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/18/21 at 12:51 pm

With less people travelling on the trains the train companies are taking an advantage so track repairs can be done, therefore more disruption for those that do have to travel.

Check for new replies or respond here...