inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: For Meli - who doesnt believe it snows in Aus !!

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 07/18/04 at 3:09 am

Hey ya go !!  I forget where you live - was it Sydney ?  Pop in the car and take a drive up to Springwood or Katoomba - or down to Cooma and you can finally see some snow !!  Every one should have the chance to play in it at least once.
.........................................................................................

NSW snowstorms worst in years
July 18, 2004 - 5:49PM

Wild storms have dumped heavy snow over vast areas of Australia's south-east, leaving motorists trapped in ditches as gale force winds tore off roofs, uprooted trees and downed power lines in NSW.

The storms hit NSW's Blue Mountains and Southern Highlands, and Victoria's north-east, turning roads into icy hazards which sent motorists skidding into ditches and snowy embankments.

Authorities were forced to close major roads in both states, while they laid down sand and salt to reduce the danger.

NSW State Emergency Service spokeswoman Laura Goodwin said the snow storms which hit NSW were the worst in three years.

"We seldom have snow to this extent and to this depth," she said.

In Sydney, gale-force winds tore roofs off some properties, with downed power lines and debris forcing the closure of some roads the city.

In Victoria's north-east, the Great Alpine Highway was reopened on Sunday after dozens of drivers were left stranded as winds, carrying snow and gusting up to 70kph, dramatically cut visibility.

"The wind was blowing snow onto the road from south-east and visibility was almost zero," said Keith Boxer who is on the management board of Victoria's Mt Hotham ski resort.

"You always get people stuck in those sort of conditions. We dug out a few people from the road. (Then) you get a bank-up of cars, which exacerbates the problem."

About 15cm of snow fell throughout Victoria's alpine region on Saturday, but Mr Boxer said the wind was the problem.

He said many of the ski lifts were not operating due to the conditions, but most lifts and roads were reopened on Sunday because of calmer weather.

The snow forced authorities to periodically close parts of the Great Western Highway, the Snowy Mountains Highway and the Monaro Highway.

And the lure of a frolic in the snow forced the NSW Roads and Traffic Authority (RTA) to urge motorists from Sydney not to head to the mountains.

"Of concern (is) a large number of people seem to be heading from Sydney up towards the Blue Mountains, presumably to look at the snow," RTA spokesman Ken Boys said.

An appeal was issued urging people to stay away from affected areas, especially areas west of Katoomba in the Blue Mountains, and south of Mittagong, on the Hume Highway.

Like the situation in Mt Hotham in Victoria, many skiers driving to the Perisher snowfields in NSW had to be towed out of ditches after their vehicles slipped off icy roads.

Neil Thew, at Perisher Blue resort, said: "(The roads) have been fairly chaotic.

"Temperatures were still hovering around minus five degrees Celsius at 11.30am (AEST) today at Perisher."

He said more than 20 cm of snow had fallen on Perisher in the past 24 hours and some ski lifts had been stopped because of poor visibility and high winds.

In south-east Sydney, fallen trees and branches forced the closure of Botany Bay National Park South while debris and fallen wires blocked roads across the city.

Debris also obstructed roads in Oxford Falls and Chatswood, and power failures across the Illawarra region had earlier caused traffic light blackouts.

Despite the havoc, temperatures were only two degrees celsius below average, according to the Bureau of Meteorology.

On NSW's south coast, residents of low lying areas were warned to watch for possible flooding as heavy seas pounded the coast.

Sydney Ferries were forced to cancel all services to Manly due to rough seas.

But flights in and out of Sydney Airport encountered no delays today.

The Sydney CBD also was disrupted after a building in the city's main street, George Street, sustained wind damage, with a pane of glass threatening to fall from a level 23 window.

Police closed the road and evacuated the area due to the danger also presented by dislodged cables.

Subject: Re: For Mehli - who doesnt believe it snows in Aus !!

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/18/04 at 8:49 am

20 cm is about 8 inches... pretty respectable amount of snow in one storm. Sounds like the wind was pretty nasty too. It's too easy to forget that it's winter down under right now, while I'm sweating and wishing for fall. >grin<

Written By: MooRocca on 07/18/04 at 4:43 pm

I think you mean Meli (with no H,) because I, MooRocca, (L before H) know it snows in Australia.  At any rate, that sounds like some storm!  Be safe!! 

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 07/19/04 at 1:08 am

I think you mean Meli (with no H,) because I, MooRocca, (L before H) know it snows in Australia.  At any rate, that sounds like some storm!  Be safe!! 

OOPS - sorry MooRocca !!  Hmmm I cant change the title of the post can I ?

Yeah the footage I saw on last nights news - boats being tossed in the seas, trees down etc etc showed it was a pretty nasty storm all round.

Its all on the southern east coast so well and truly away from me in the west where its sunny and fine and high 60s F.  My brother is in Sydney so he experienced the big storms - he is at the base of the Blue Mountains so I dont think he would have got the snow fall that was at the top - but it would have been pretty icey.  My dads relatives live in the Snowy Mountains and their town is cut off at the moment - only one road in and out and its snowed in !  Dad himself is about 8 hours north of Sydney and got the rain but not the cold.

Meanwhile - slightly further east in Northern New Zealand - they recieved 250mm of rain in a few hours - bout 11 inches - major flooding happening.

So that whole area over there is "under the weather".

This is why I love Perth winters - fine and sunny and "fresh".  Rain forcast from tomorrow for a few days - then it will go back to sunny.

But I would love to be to holidays in the Snowy Mountains right now :)

OOh just found a link to the news photos from the storm - a very cool big wave one in there
http://www.smh.com.au/photogallery/2004/07/19/1090089073857.html

This one is outside Cooma - aout 2 hours north of the town my relatives are snowed in at.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 07/19/04 at 1:22 am

And Chucky  if you are still sweltering - and missing the sight of live snow falling - I found you some snow cams from our ski fields - updated every few minutes !!!!

http://www.ski.com.au/snowcams/

Written By: mandamoo on 07/20/04 at 6:29 am

I can vouch for the snow !  My parents got a light dusting of the stuff on Sunday and I'm betting Powerslave got a tad more. ;) :)

As for the strong winds, I worked at Bondi (right on the coast) on Monday, and we were literally being blown off our feet !  Not to mention having to dodge all manner of debris flying around the place ! :o

Written By: karen on 07/20/04 at 8:24 am

OOPS - sorry MooRocca !!  Hmmm I cant change the title of the post can I ?

BMG if you click on 'modify' on the first post you can change the title.

Subject: Re: For Meli - who doesnt believe it snows in Aus !!

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 07/21/04 at 5:04 am

BMG if you click on 'modify' on the first post you can change the title.

Thanks Karen - I always thought you could only change the post contents - I feel better now !!

I can vouch for the snow !  My parents got a light dusting of the stuff on Sunday and I'm betting Powerslave got a tad more. ;) :)

As for the strong winds, I worked at Bondi (right on the coast) on Monday, and we were literally being blown off our feet !  Not to mention having to dodge all manner of debris flying around the place ! :o

Hehehe I was thinking it might be chilly up Powerslaves way !!

We had the galeforce winds today - my 8 minute walk to work took about 5 minutes today !!  Least they were blowing in the right direction.  And I got to work with about 2 minutes to spare before a huge stormfront hit.  Quite a bit of storm damage around Perth.

Got an email from my dads rellies in the Snowy Mountains - their town is still cut off but the kids love it - their school is a whole town away and they cant get there !!  So school holidays have been extended !

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 07/21/04 at 7:31 am

Hey ya go !!  I forget where you live - was it Sydney ?  Pop in the car and take a drive up to Springwood or Katoomba - or down to Cooma and you can finally see some snow !!  Every one should have the chance to play in it at least once.

BMG, ya beat me to it  ;D

I was thinking of Meli JUST the other day regarding this subject  ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Fred on 07/22/04 at 2:20 am

Well personally I'm not missing the snow, I'm enjoying the nice warm, sunny, beautifal weather we're having here in Canada.  ;D

Written By: Powerslave on 07/22/04 at 7:15 am

Hehehe I was thinking it might be chilly up Powerslaves way !!

You bet it is! I was at work during the snow and my wife called me at 4am. She had not seen snow before and got pretty excited when she got up to let the cat out and there was snow all over the place. :) While I was driving home later, a car went past with a snowman on the hood.  ;D

Oh yeah, and Springwood is a bit far down the mountain to get snow. The limit of the snow line in the Blue Mountains is about 600 metres. Springwood is quite a ways below that.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 07/24/04 at 4:30 am

BMG, ya beat me to it  ;D

I was thinking of Meli JUST the other day regarding this subject  ;D ;D ;D

You know me Fuss - always gotta prove a point !!!!  And fast !!

While I was driving home later, a car went past with a snowman on the hood.  ;D

Oh yeah, and Springwood is a bit far down the mountain to get snow. The limit of the snow line in the Blue Mountains is about 600 metres. Springwood is quite a ways below that.

Awwwww we use to put snowmen on the car in Tassie - glad people still do it !!
Dad lived in Springwood from 88 to 99 and he got snow quite a few times in those years.  He preferred it to the fires ! (ick bad joke).

My aunt in the snowy mtns is emailing me some piccies - she said they are getting some of the heaviest falls in 3-5 years.  Cant wait to see the pics.

Written By: Powerslave on 07/24/04 at 8:26 am

I guess it does snow in Springwood now and then, but it's actually pretty rare there. The snow was quite heavy, and if the temperature's anything to go by lately, it won't be the last we see of it this winter either. :)

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 07/25/04 at 2:23 am

I guess it does snow in Springwood now and then, but it's actually pretty rare there.

I would say in the township itself its pretty rare - dads mother in law never had snow fall in her yard in decades - she lived right in town.  Dad lived way out of the township on a road that led to a lookout - cant find my older address book with the name of the road - hmmm started with R or H.  He sent me pics every few years of snow on his balcony.

Here are some pics my aunty sent me of her home and backyard and her main street of her little Snowy Mountains village, all taken last week on July 18.  Hmmm its crashing explorer each time I try to post them – will resize them even smaller and try again one at a time.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 07/25/04 at 2:26 am

ok that above is her front yard.  below is the house.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 07/25/04 at 2:30 am

her backyard with stables and greenhouse

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 07/25/04 at 2:32 am

and finally the main street - which is basically the entire town - other than one little side street that has 4 homes on it.

Written By: mrgazpacho on 09/05/04 at 9:43 am

Not snow, but those storms in Sydney (Australia) today left hail near its most famous sandy beach at Bondi!

Surfboards were temporarily replaced by snowboards :D

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 09/06/04 at 3:06 am

Saw that on late news last night - what a huge fall of hail.  Whats the damage report ?  Was it comparable to April 99 ?

Hail storms in Sydney always mean my rooftiling brother gets more work !

this sure aint how we would usually be taking a stroll on the beach !!

Written By: mandamoo on 09/06/04 at 5:23 am

This hailstorm was nowhere near as bad as the one in 1999 BMG, thank goodness  :)

THE clean up will continue today after hailstorms swept Sydney and the NSW south coast.

Hailstones up to 4cm in diameter broke windows and roof tiles, causing a spate of minor car crashes and covering roads in ice yesterday afternoon.

The NSW State Emergency Service (SES) responded to 250 calls for assistance yesterday.

SES spokeswoman Laura Goodin said most of the calls were from western Sydney, though damage was also reported as far south as Kiama.

Around 100 volunteers cleared hail-filled gutters and repaired broken roof tiles, windows and skylights yesterday.

Another 50 volunteers will help complete the clean-up today.

Ms Goodin said the storm could not even be compared to the hailstorm of 1999, when Sydney's eastern suburbs were battered by a massive hailstorm that left hundreds of homes severely damaged.

More rain battered Sydney late last night but no further problems were reported, Ms Goodin said.

This is how Bondi should look !

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 09/07/04 at 3:49 am

Thanks for the article Manda.  So not an viscious as 1999 but still some amazing coverage all round.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 09/08/04 at 7:32 am

Some more Sydney shots from the other day  :)

Written By: mandamoo on 09/08/04 at 7:37 am

Some more Sydney shots from the other day :)

I haven't seen these ones :o  Thanks Fussy  :)

We didn't get any hail this side of Sydney, at all  ???

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 09/08/04 at 7:41 am

I haven't seen these ones :o  Thanks Fussy  :)

We didn't get any hail this side of Sydney, at all  ???

What side is that Mooey?  The "bad" side ?  ;D

Just as well, check this out, imagine how your car would have looked after.... :(

Written By: karen on 09/08/04 at 7:44 am

Some of the carers at nursery were talking last night about someone they know who is in Sydney this week to be a bridesmaid.  Apparently she'd been boasting about the gorgeous tan she would get whilst we were shivering our way in to autumn.  Given the weather here very recently it's likely the boot will be on the other foot I think.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 09/08/04 at 7:56 am

Apparently she'd been boasting about the gorgeous tan she would get whilst we were shivering our way in to autumn.  Given the weather here very recently it's likely the boot will be on the other foot I think.

Sun worship (Read : Skin cancer) is highly over-rated by many Aussies who apparently have had 'a little too much' sun, Karen  :)

Take it from me, you will be the one laughing in later life  ;)

Written By: mandamoo on 09/09/04 at 3:00 am

What side is that Mooey? The "bad" side ? ;D

Har har ! :P ;D

Well, the bad  side got a bucket full of the stuff this afternoon !  I got caught in it on my way home from work a short time ago  ::)  >:(

Luckily it wasn't as bad as the above pics show of last Sunday....

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 09/11/04 at 5:55 am

Those pics are great Fuss - I hadnt spotted any of them while perusing news sites so thanks for posting them.

Some of the carers at nursery were talking last night about someone they know who is in Sydney this week to be a bridesmaid. Apparently she'd been boasting about the gorgeous tan she would get whilst we were shivering our way in to autumn. Given the weather here very recently it's likely the boot will be on the other foot I think.

Well considering its still winter here ( ok 11 days into spring but technically we had a late winter) the only place she would be getting a tan would be in Far North Queensland or a tanning salon !  As Fuss said - lying around catching skin cancer isnt very highly rated here !

Manda did you guys have another big storm last night ?  I could baely see the footy players on telly last night - rain was so heavy.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 09/11/04 at 7:47 am

Those pics are great Fuss - I hadnt spotted any of them while perusing news sites so thanks for posting them.

You're welcome BMG, My wife's cousin who lives in Sydney emailed them to us  :)

Manda did you guys have another big storm last night ?  I could baely see the footy players on telly last night - rain was so heavy.

BMG, don't you recognise Sydney's pollution when you see it ?  ;) :P

Written By: Howard on 09/11/04 at 9:47 am

I went to wunderground.com to check the weather in Australia,and it's pretty bitterly cold now in most towns there.On the other side,you have the low 60's and  low 70's.

Howard

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 09/11/04 at 10:42 am

BMG, don't you recognise Sydney's pollution when you see it ?  ;) :P

Ahhh of course !! ;)  Naturally up in sunny Brissy its so easy to see yummy Lynchy so clearly on the field !!!!

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 09/11/04 at 10:48 am

I went to wunderground.com to check the weather in Australia,and it's pretty bitterly cold now in most towns there.On the other side,you have the low 60's and  low 70's.

Howard

I think that site was updated about 3 months ago !  its says it reached 5 degrees celcius here in Perth today and my thermometre clearly shows a delightful 22c degrees (70f) basically a pleasant sunny spring day.  And I live approx 100 metres from the cities temp guage.
The last time we had a 5 degree day here was about October 1992.

Written By: mandamoo on 09/12/04 at 2:33 am

Manda did you guys have another big storm last night ? I could baely see the footy players on telly last night - rain was so heavy.

No.....there was no rain here on Friday night, BMG. If you were watching the AFL game, that was in Melbourne :o ;D

Otherwise, it was most likely pollution ::)

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 09/13/04 at 1:36 am

Ahhh of course !! ;)  Naturally up in sunny Brissy its so easy to see yummy Lynchy so clearly on the field !!!!

No good setting your sights on yummy Lynchey BMG !  Chronic fatigue syndrome and all that ya know  :o 

He'd leave you wanting for more  ;D

Written By: karen on 09/13/04 at 3:29 am

Some of the carers at nursery were talking last night about someone they know who is in Sydney this week to be a bridesmaid. Apparently she'd been boasting about the gorgeous tan she would get whilst we were shivering our way in to autumn. Given the weather here very recently it's likely the boot will be on the other foot I think.

Well considering its still winter here ( ok 11 days into spring but technically we had a late winter) the only place she would be getting a tan would be in Far North Queensland or a tanning salon !  As Fuss said - lying around catching skin cancer isnt very highly rated here !

I don't think it occured to any of them that it might be winter in Australia - seriously!  Or if they did think about that they still probably reckon that Australia is sub-tropical and would still be hot and sunny.  Seeing some of the spelling on posters and displays in the nursery and some of the questions they've asked me, I would say that general knowledge is possibly not their strong suit.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 09/13/04 at 6:40 am

I don't think it occured to any of them that it might be winter in Australia - seriously! 

Technically it has been spring for 13 days now.

Or if they did think about that they still probably reckon that Australia is sub-tropical and would still be hot and sunny.

I painted the fence for a few hours the other day and have a bad sunburn on my neck.  Winter - spring - autumn in Aus does not mean you won't get burned, it simply means that instead of outright killing you, yo usuffer a slow lingering fate  :( ;D :(

Seeing some of the spelling on posters and displays in the nursery and some of the questions they've asked me, I would say that general knowledge is possibly not their strong suit.

Ah educators !  Where would we be without them  :D

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 09/18/04 at 3:18 am

I havent got the energy to do half a dozen quotes so I am just going to say (from sunny freezing perth) "Hi Karen and Fuss and Manda".

Karen if you feel like educating them even more - howsabout reminding them we are a nation the same size as the US and therefor have dozens of different climatic zones.  From ski fields, to blazing deserts, from tropical humidity, to fresh sunny beach zones.  That orta help them !!!!!!

Fuss - Lynchy baby has been over CFS for about 2 years now - its really admirable that he didnt pack it in when he was in the midst of the worst of it.  Lions helped him work thru it and I am glad they did - out of the entire AFL he has the best looking arms - I do so enjoy looking at them !!!

Fingers crossed for a big win tonight cos the very thought of a grand final next week with NO VIC TEAMS for the first time in history just cracks me up with joy !!!!!!  ;D

Manda - I checked the tv guide - hehehe I was indeed watching a Melb game !

Written By: mandamoo on 09/18/04 at 5:00 am

Manda - I checked the tv guide - hehehe I was indeed watching a Melb game !

Hi BMG.......thought so ! ;)

I have to say though, that we desperately  need rain right now, with the bushfire season looming :(

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 09/19/04 at 1:57 am

Sad to say Manda - that nasty ole fire season comes around too fast each year.

Bring on the rain - and not just for fires - the drought has trebled in severity in many places.

For Karen - so you know who this Lynch fella is I have been waffling about - and also just for an excuse to post a pic of him - here he is !!  And his team won last night so for the first time in the 108 year history of the game we will have a grand final played next week without a single Victorian team - yeayyyyyyyyy.

Written By: Fred on 09/19/04 at 2:30 am

Howard

Aww, c'mon Howard that's not cold.  ;)

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 09/19/04 at 9:26 pm

Fuss - Lynchy baby has been over CFS for about 2 years now - its really admirable that he didnt pack it in when he was in the midst of the worst of it. 

I didn't know it was 'curable' as such !  Good for him.  Mind you, if you saw his abominable goalkicking against Geelong the other night, yuo would have thought he was suffering from something.... ::)

Out of the entire AFL he has the best looking arms - I do so enjoy looking at them !!!

Arms ?  :o  A person can have good looking arms ?  ::) ;) :P

Fingers crossed for a big win tonight cos the very thought of a grand final next week with NO VIC TEAMS for the first time in history just cracks me up with joy !!!!!!   ;D

Yes !  It has happened !  Take that, all you Victorians  :P (or which we have none as far as I am aware ?).  They mustn't have got the internet down there yet  ;D

Written By: Powerslave on 09/20/04 at 4:20 am

Hi BMG.......thought so ! ;)

I have to say though, that we desperately  need rain right now, with the bushfire season looming :(

Actually Manda, the bushfire season started in August in most of NSW.

Written By: mandamoo on 09/20/04 at 5:23 am

Actually Manda, the bushfire season started in August in most of NSW.

Aah...so it's already upon us ? :( 

Thanks Powerslave :)

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 09/21/04 at 6:02 am

I didn't know it was 'curable' as such !  Good for him.  Mind you, if you saw his abominable goalkicking against Geelong the other night, yuo would have thought he was suffering from something.... ::)

Arms ?   :o  A person can have good looking arms ?  ::) ;) :P

CFS is yet to be curable - but can be managed almost to the point of non existance - it took Lynchie a lot of time and work to get it to the managable stage.  Yeah his goal kicking was shocking the other night hey - but they won and thats the important bit.  They are my second fave team after my Eagle boys (yeay on the Brownlow !!).

Ams - yes indeedy - dont boys play the cut out game that us girls play ??

Take the arms of Lynchy, the thighs of Jakovich, the face of Banfield, the booty of ... hmmmmm all my fav booties have retired, brain of Woosha etc etc - when complete you have the perfect looking (and performing) footy star.  This game can be played with actors etc too naturally !!!! (Richard Gere's hair, Clooneys smile, Harrisons scar and his 1984 arms, etc etc)

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 09/21/04 at 7:09 pm

Ams - yes indeedy - dont boys play the cut out game that us girls play ??

Cut-out game ?  I had to think about that.

The answer : Of course we do.  Of course, when we play we don’t end up with a whole picture cos we only focus on the important bits !  :P

(You suspected that was coming, deep down, hey ?)  ;)

Written By: Jared on 09/22/04 at 9:19 pm

Hi, token American butting in just to say I'm surprised we have so many Australians here!

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 09/22/04 at 9:59 pm

Hi, token American butting in just to say I'm surprised we have so many Australians here!

Hi Jared

All are welcome though  :)  I think at last count there were about 10, and many are regular contributors :

Me
Mandamoo
BrianMannixGirl
Powerslave
Mrgazpacho
Jaytee
HolyDooley

and others  :)

Written By: karen on 09/23/04 at 3:42 am

I think Blackdog is from Australia

Written By: Gecko on 09/24/04 at 5:51 am

Hi Jared

All are welcome though  :)  I think at last count there were about 10, and many are regular contributors :

Me
Mandamoo
BrianMannixGirl
Powerslave
Mrgazpacho
Jaytee
HolyDooley

and others  :)

What about me Fuss?  What about me >:(  I know I haven't posted in awhile - but don't forget about little old me. :)

Written By: mandamoo on 09/24/04 at 6:09 am

What about me Fuss?  What about me >:(  I know I haven't posted in awhile - but don't forget about little old me. :)

Yeah Fuss, how could you forget Gecko ?  :o

Old age, methinks  ;)

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 09/25/04 at 4:15 am

Cut-out game ?  I had to think about that.

The answer : Of course we do.  Of course, when we play we don’t end up with a whole picture cos we only focus on the important bits !  :P

(You suspected that was coming, deep down, hey ?)  ;)

Ahhhh so many comments I cant make !

Commiserations to the Brissy lads - they tried hard and it was rather brutal at times - but Port were a whole lot hungrier on the day. Good game.

Written By: mandamoo on 09/25/04 at 6:57 am

Commiserations to the Brissy lads

Indeed. :)

I believe it was anyones game there for a while !

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 09/25/04 at 7:25 am

I am sorry Gecko, and a Brissy girl to boot... :-[  My apologies  :)

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 09/25/04 at 7:27 am

Ahhhh so many comments I cant make !

;D Bad luck  :P

Commiserations to the Brissy lads - they tried hard and it was rather brutal at times - but Port were a whole lot hungrier on the day. Good game.

Yes, the best team won  :)

Indeed. :)

I believe it was anyones game there for a while !

Till they started play Mooey.  And Port played football and Brisbane seemed to forget why they were there  ::)

Written By: Gecko on 09/26/04 at 12:30 am

I am sorry Gecko, and a Brissy girl to boot... :-[  My apologies  :)

Apologies accepted!! :)  Just don't do it again!

I have to say that I watched the AFL game yesterday - but, you see I'm really a Rugby League supporter and I have to admit that I don't actually understand AFL all that much.  I just watched cos I was hoping the Lions would win again.  All Queenslands hope stay with the Cowboys now.

Written By: mandamoo on 09/26/04 at 4:39 am

Till they started play Mooey. And Port played football and Brisbane seemed to forget why they were there ::)

Ah...oh well, there's always next year, hey ? :)

Written By: mandamoo on 09/26/04 at 4:44 am

I have to say that I watched the AFL game yesterday - but, you see I'm really a Rugby League supporter and I have to admit that I don't actually understand AFL all that much.  I just watched cos I was hoping the Lions would win again. All Queenslands hope stay with the Cowboys now.

It's a Roosters/Bulldogs grand final it seems. That will be interesting. ::) :)

Written By: Powerslave on 09/26/04 at 4:59 am

It's a Roosters/Bulldogs grand final it seems. That will be interesting. ::) :)

Go the Dogs!

Written By: Gecko on 09/26/04 at 5:54 am

I have to say that the Roosters/Cowboys game today was edge of your seat stuff.  Very exciting game - the Cowboys nearly made it.

Written By: karen on 09/27/04 at 4:20 am

My two children were playing football (soccer) in the garden yesterday.  Elizabeth wanted to be England and she told James he could be Australia.  Elizabeth said because she was England she had to win the game "because England always win at everything".  She's got a lot to learn  ;D

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 09/27/04 at 8:02 am

My two children were playing football (soccer) in the garden yesterday.  Elizabeth wanted to be England and she told James he could be Australia.  Elizabeth said because she was England she had to win the game "because England always win at everything".  She's got a lot to learn  ;D

Good for her ! 

Tell Elizabeth :

"Long Live The Empire"  :)

Written By: mandamoo on 10/03/04 at 12:01 pm

Go the Dogs!

Congrats  ;) :)

Written By: Powerslave on 10/03/04 at 9:37 pm

:)

Yay!

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 10/04/04 at 12:16 am

Not that I remotely wanted to watch Rugby (I wont go into the 2000 reasons !!!!!) - but I stayed up so late last night waiting for the Perth telecast cos Chris Isaak was singing in the pre match ent - only to have the telelcast start right as the players came out - no singers to be seen.

dammit :(  I missed a Chris fix.

Written By: Powerslave on 10/04/04 at 2:00 am

Not that I remotely wanted to watch Rugby (I wont go into the 2000 reasons !!!!!) - but I stayed up so late last night waiting for the Perth telecast cos Chris Isaak was singing in the pre match ent - only to have the telelcast start right as the players came out - no singers to be seen.

It wasn't that spectacular. He played "Baby Did a Bad Bad Thing" and that was it.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 10/04/04 at 6:25 am

It wasn't that spectacular. He played "Baby Did a Bad Bad Thing" and that was it.

ANYTHING with Chris - be it seconds or minutes - is always spectacular !!  Trust me !  :-*  This is an 18 year long lust thing going on !!!

Watched him for an hour on Today so that sorta made up for it, and Rove tomorrow etc etc. 

AND scored a free tik to the show next week.  Wasnt going initially cos I had spent all my money on Sydney airfares. But one of his band offered me a freebie and thats WAY too good to turn down.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 10/04/04 at 8:13 am

Bad luck, and you don't get to see any more Lynchey either  :(

PS  Chris Isaak would have had to have been 1000 times better than a few years ago when the NRL inexplicably shipped the ageing Village People out for the pre match grand final entertainment  ::)

In the words of Bart Simpson (at the time) "Oh man, this blows"  :( ;D

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 10/05/04 at 6:12 am

Its the second time Chris has sung for the Rugby Grand Final - the other time was 99 from memory - when Eyes Wide Shut put BDABBT (Baby did a bad bad thing) back into the charts.

But in WA they showed it live that year and we got to tape it - not this year :(

Yeah they like to choose from the vault dont they - it was Billy Idol (minus power) last year - gawd love him - but he is getting OLD !!!!!  And they nearly electrocuted him  !

Yep no more Lynchy - but he still looked gorgeous while getting his $15000 fine !! 

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 10/13/04 at 3:01 am

Blimey Manda - hope you are not suffering - Sydneysiders could be forgiven for thinking its February ! And it was so nice there all weekend - perfect temps.

Temperature hits record high
October 13, 2004

TEMPERATURES in the Sydney CBD today hit a record high for October and were expected to continue to rise during the day.

Hot ... Sydneysiders flock to Bondi beach 

Temperatures at Observatory Hill reached 37.7 degrees celsius at 1.30pm (AEST) today - the hottest October temperature ever recorded, the Bureau of Meteorology said.

The previous CBD record for this month was set on October 4, 1942, when the mercury peaked at 37.4 degrees.

And things were expected to get even hotter throughout the day, with peak temperatures due to occur between 2pm and 2.30pm (AEST).

"The temperature's still going up as we speak," a Bureau of Meteorology spokesman said.

And the city was not the only place to experience record highs with Sydney Airport also breaking its previous mark.

The temperature at the airport has reached 38.3 degrees celsius - hotter than the previous record of 38.2, also set on October 4, 1942.

The spokesman said a westerly wind was the cause of the high temperatures.

"What makes a difference normally is there's a sea breeze effect cooling things down but because there's a strong gradient wind holding it back and washing in from the west the temperatures rise," he said.

"That's what's occurring at the moment."

The hottest October temperature recorded around the Sydney metropolitan area was in October 1988 when thermometers at Camden airport hit 40.5 degrees.

Written By: mandamoo on 10/13/04 at 7:01 am

Blimey Manda - hope you are not suffering - Sydneysiders could be forgiven for thinking its February ! And it was so nice there all weekend - perfect temps.

Yep, we've been sweltering here alright, BMG !  It's nearly 10pm and the temperature's still up there - just a tad under 30 degrees (around 85F). :P  Still more of the same tomorrow until a predicted and very welcome cooler change blows in ! :)

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 10/13/04 at 7:41 am

Yep, we've been sweltering here alright, BMG !  It's nearly 10pm and the temperature's still up there - just a tad under 30 degrees (around 85F). :P  Still more of the same tomorrow until a predicted and very welcome cooler change blows in ! :)

That change must be coming from the South, because Brisbane is forecast for high 30's on Friday  >:(

Written By: jaytee on 10/13/04 at 8:05 am

That change must be coming from the South, because Brisbane is forecast for high 30's on Friday  >:(

Even though the termperature's getting up at least we don't have the accompanying humidity.  It's been a much drier heat.  We really do need some rain.  We no longer have a lawn - it's just a dust bowl that the dog keeps digging holes in >:(

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 10/13/04 at 10:19 am

Still more of the same tomorrow until a predicted and very welcome cooler change blows in ! :)

Well it only got to 18 here today so I will try and blow it over to ya.

I cant believe the change - when I left there on Monday it was a gorgeous cool day.

Written By: mrgazpacho on 10/13/04 at 7:57 pm

Cooler today; "only" 29 predicted :P

Written By: mandamoo on 10/15/04 at 6:48 am

Well it only got to 18 here today so I will try and blow it over to ya.

I cant believe the change - when I left there on Monday it was a gorgeous cool day.

Hey ! It worked BMGirl !  Today we only got to about 22 - 23.  Nice. :D

Written By: mandamoo on 10/15/04 at 6:49 am

Cooler today; "only" 29 predicted :P

Yeah, but didn't it feel hotter ?  :P

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 10/16/04 at 2:18 am

Hey ! It worked BMGirl ! Today we only got to about 22 - 23. Nice. :D

Glad to have helped.  Still lovely over here. 

Watching the Brissie fires on the news - hope they are no where near any of our gang up there.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 10/16/04 at 8:41 am

Glad to have helped.  Still lovely over here. 

Watching the Brissie fires on the news - hope they are no where near any of our gang up there.

Yep, there was a big one in Petrie yesterday, which is the next suburb.  :(

Luckily it was about 10 degrees cooler today and overcast as well  :)

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 10/16/04 at 9:11 am

Oooh bit too close for comfort Fuss - hope you get low winds and heavy rain asap to put them all out.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 10/21/04 at 5:13 am

Far out did we have a storm last night !

From 7pm till about 12.30am we had a "big storm", thunder, sheet lightning, heavy rain etc.
Then from 12.30am to 2am we had a SERIOUSLY bloody huge storm !  The sheet lightning was basically constant - no gaps between it and the thunder.
Apparently a house in the southern suburbs got hit by lightning.  I know what that is like - I have lived in two different homes that have been struck.

Weather bureau stated it was one of our most powerful storms in some years - based on lightning hits.
I wanted to sit on my balcony to take photos but sheet lightning isnt as fancy to photograph as bolt lightning so I just sat at the window and watched.

Meanwhile on the east coast my dads town of Coffs Harbour has been declared a disaster zone after 300mm of rain in 2 days and winds that reached 125kph.  Dad likened it to a cyclone we once sat thru on the Pilbara in 1975.

Written By: mandamoo on 10/22/04 at 6:23 am

Far out did we have a storm last night !

From 7pm till about 12.30am we had a "big storm", thunder, sheet lightning, heavy rain etc.
Then from 12.30am to 2am we had a SERIOUSLY bloody huge storm ! The sheet lightning was basically constant - no gaps between it and the thunder.
Apparently a house in the southern suburbs got hit by lightning. I know what that is like - I have lived in two different homes that have been struck.

Weather bureau stated it was one of our most powerful storms in some years - based on lightning hits.
I wanted to sit on my balcony to take photos but sheet lightning isnt as fancy to photograph as bolt lightning so I just sat at the window and watched.

Sounds like you had a wild one there, Girl !  I love storms and watching lightning, except I'm not too keen on the accompanying thunder. :-\\

Meanwhile on the east coast my dads town of Coffs Harbour has been declared a disaster zone after 300mm of rain in 2 days and winds that reached 125kph. Dad likened it to a cyclone we once sat thru on the Pilbara in 1975.

My mother-in-law lives up that way but she's staying with us at the moment, luckily.  I hope your dad didn't encounter too much damage.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 10/23/04 at 1:39 am

Sounds like you had a wild one there, Girl !  I love storms and watching lightning, except I'm not too keen on the accompanying thunder. :-\\

My mother-in-law lives up that way but she's staying with us at the moment, luckily.  I hope your dad didn't encounter too much damage.

hehe I love thunder and lightning - but man it was a noisy night when the lightning cracks were happening at the very same time as the thunder and its was basically constant for those hours !!

I had to get a man out yesterday to check the roof as I had a bit of a waterfall coming down my bathroom wall at the height of the storm !

Checked with dad and he said on his estate (they are about 20 minutes north of Coffs) every second house lost roof tiles - he didnt which is good - but he did lose a couple of big trees.  His dam and water tanks are overflowing so he is happy.  After 11 years living in the backwoods of the Blue Mtns where he wasnt connected to town water and there was never enough rain to fill the tanks so he use to have to truck water in - he cant quite get use to how much rain Coffs gets - sometimes just in one day ! 

After the 94 fires he was on a committee to have town water connected in the outskirts of Springwood in the Blue Mtns (it was more Hawkesbury Heights than Springwood) - because so many people out there lost homes basically because they fought the fires for as long as their tanks lasted - and when the fire trucks arrived - there was no water pipes for them to connect to.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 12/26/04 at 10:26 am

Just have to resurrect this in case Meli is reading  ;D

You can bet there isn't much snowing going on in Aus at the present time  :P  ;)

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 12/27/04 at 4:28 am

Actually the Snowy Mountains have a blizzard and heavy snow warning for tonight.

I spent the Millennium there in 99/00 and it snowed then - on Jan 1st and Jan 5th.  And dad remembers white xmas's there as a kid when he was growing up.

And it snowed on Mount Wellington in Tasmania two weeks ago.

Check for new replies or respond here...