inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Your first school and teacher

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 07/23/04 at 7:25 am

Ok, I was having this conversation with someone today

What was the name of the first school you went to, and also, can you remember the teacher's name in your fist year ?

Mine may seem a little strange but here goes !

Fig Tree Pocket State School      (in Australia, or maybe just Queensland?, a State School is an alternate description for Primary School)

and my teacher's name was

Louie Guggenberger

Subject: Re: Your first school and teacher

Written By: mandamoo on 07/23/04 at 7:28 am

St Brendans with Sister Aidan  :)

Written By: Paul on 07/23/04 at 7:36 am

Oliver Goldsmith Primary (incredibly still standing with the amount of low-life it had there...!)

My first teacher (1972) was Miss Clemson, who I would have probably appreciated more had I been ten years older at the time...drool...!!

Written By: jaytee on 07/23/04 at 7:51 am

St. Martin's with some nun that scared the life out of me - so much so - that after a few days my parents transferred me to Mayfield State School.  My teacher was Mrs. McGuiness.

Written By: Sentimentalist on 07/23/04 at 8:04 am

New London-Spicer elementary in Spicer.  The Spicer school used to be K-8 but there got to be too many kids.  My Kindergarten teacher was Mrs Grund.  Not too bad a memory considering that was 33 yrs ago.
God lyk!

Written By: Dagwood on 07/23/04 at 8:15 am

Harshman Elementary in Dayton Ohio(I think that was the name, I only went there for one year) and my teacher was Mrs. Russell.  I loved her so much I tried to set her up with my single dad...she was married, though, so it didn't happen. ;D

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 07/23/04 at 8:42 am

First school was Montrose Christian Academy but I can't remember my Kindergarten teacher's name. ???

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/23/04 at 10:55 am

Nursery school was Randolph School and I can't remember the teacher's name but I do remember the teaching assistant-Mrs. Popejoy.

First grade was St. George's and my teacher was Mrs. Kasnack who the next year changed her name to Mrs. Dockerty and became our principal.

Cat

Written By: Jessica on 07/23/04 at 12:56 pm

Castroville Elementary School and my teacher's name was Mrs. Rosenthal. I only remember her name because 7 years later, she was my middle school vice-principal. Believe me, she did much better as a Kindergarten teacher. :P

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/23/04 at 1:40 pm

The first school I ever attended was in Wembley, England.  I don't recall the name of it, but I do know that my kindergarten teacher's name was Mr. Baker.  My parents told me that I had acquired a thick English accent just in the one year we lived in Britain.  :)

Written By: gumbypiz on 07/23/04 at 1:53 pm

Sacred Heart Elem.
Sister Carmel and her lonngg yardstik!

Written By: maddog on 07/23/04 at 3:50 pm

I went to infants school from the ages 4 to 6 at a place called Tower Dene. I don't remember any of my teachers' names there but I do remember the headmistress, Miss Tomlinson, a 70 year old poison dwarf of a spinster who scared me to death.

At age 7 I moved to Churchtown Junior School, Southport, into Miss Bradley's class. These days her class would be called Year 3 (or 3rd Grade in the USA). She was also an old lady approaching retirement but she was a sweetheart. It's a cliche but I've never forgotten her teaching and encouragement although she was strict as they come and none of us dared to cross her.

Written By: Bobby on 07/23/04 at 4:35 pm

I remember being stigmatised in my first year of school because I seemed to be the only child dressed in shorts (!)

My first school was Whitgreave Infants School in Low Hill, Wolverhampton and my first teacher was a lovely lady called Mrs Fennel back in 1983  :o.

Written By: lorac614 on 07/23/04 at 4:47 pm

P.S. 60
My kindergarten teacher was Mrs. Ross who left mid-year to have a baby and was replaced  by My Calhoun.

I can remember all of my teachers up until grade 5. 

Written By: gemini61 on 07/23/04 at 4:54 pm

Harshman Elementary in Dayton Ohio(I think that was the name, I only went there for one year) and my teacher was Mrs. Russell.  I loved her so much I tried to set her up with my single dad...she was married, though, so it didn't happen. ;D

You lived in Dayton, huh? I went to Fairbrook Elementary in Beavercreek Ohio, and lived there 17 years. Small world! Oh, and my first grade teacher was Mrs. Wilson.   :)

Written By: Howard on 07/23/04 at 9:00 pm

PS 18 Mrs.Fertig and Mrs.Grinsberg Class of 1979.

Howard

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 07/24/04 at 4:15 am

I went to 18 different schools between kindy and grade 1 as we moved from town to town for a few years. (all over country New South Wales)

I have a lot of memories but some blur into each other - so I have no memory of which would be my "first"school. 

So grade two is my first actual proper memory of a school as I was at the same one for the whole year.  It was Paraburdoo Primary - up in the north west in iron ore country.  The teacher was Mr Ryan and he was a total sex god (to a 6 year old !!) - he was tall, slim and tanned, long hippy hair and he played the guitar and taught me "Horse With No Name" on my new guitar.  He disappeared halfway thru the year.

Mum told me only a year or two ago - he was sacked for leaving the class to smoke pot !!

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 07/24/04 at 7:58 am

I can only remember back to Kindergarten (1977? '78?) when I went to Woodhaven Elementary school 'til third grade, when it closed. I went to two other schools after that before I hit Junior High School. Anyway...my Kindergarten teacher was an old Scottish (or English - can't remember exactly) woman called Mrs. Saxton.

Absolutely Vile

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/24/04 at 10:44 am

I remember (Unfortunately)....it was Sept. 1966 and I went to Skyway Park Elementary. I remember on my first day a bully pushed me to the ground and said "Welcome...i hope you enjoy it here." My first teacher was miss Hilldebrandt. I transferred from that "Hell" school after 3rd grade and constant bullying. The school I went to was MUCH better :)

Written By: Bobo on 07/24/04 at 12:14 pm

September 1991, Class 1, Mrs. Lynne Rathmell. Met her three hours ago, first time for about twelve years. She still recognized me. I thought, oh my.

Apparently she's now working at a school 25 minutes down the road. There's progress, if not northwards, at least eastwards..

Good memories of her, actually. She's the person against whom I played and won my first non-familial Scrabble game. I remember keeping the scorecard somewhere, but I don't know what I did with it. That's one of my more memorable Scrabble games, though she was mighty embarrassed herself!

Written By: ktelqueen on 07/25/04 at 12:00 am

Brookhouse School,Mrs Butler.first school crush-david ishm-day one of primary... :)

Written By: Dagwood on 07/25/04 at 9:19 pm

You lived in Dayton, huh? I went to Fairbrook Elementary in Beavercreek Ohio, and lived there 17 years. Small world! Oh, and my first grade teacher was Mrs. Wilson.   :)

Yeah, for about a year and a half.  My dad was working at the air force base.  He got transfered to Redlands, CA about half way through my first grade year.

Written By: danootaandme on 07/26/04 at 6:43 am

Kindergarten- Miss Alexander,  she was just like Miss Crabtree from the Little Rascals.  First Grade at Lincoln Elementary Miss Fay.  It was a long time ago, but if I ran into her today I would be tempted to slap her face.She did not grace her profession.

Written By: resinchaser on 07/26/04 at 6:50 am

Cecil Newman elementary. I have no clue who taught me in kindergarten. But I do remember my first grade teacher, Mrs. Lampshed.

Written By: karen on 07/26/04 at 7:23 am

My first school was Shelthorpe Infants School.  My first teacher was Miss (or possibly Mrs) Winson.  She was close to retirement when I was in her class in 1974.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/26/04 at 9:21 pm

I attended Our Lady of Perpetual Guilt.

My first grade teacher was Sister Mary Elephant.

;D

Written By: Howard on 07/26/04 at 9:55 pm

I attended Our Lady of Perpetual Guilt.

My first grade teacher was Sister Mary Elephant.

;D

Elephant?  ;D :o

Howard

Written By: Fred on 07/27/04 at 3:06 am

Mary Hill Elementary (don't remember who my Kindergarten teacher was, I remember liking her, and I remember hating my Grade 1 teacher). Anyways, the school was a dump, and I was in counciling a lot, also my Grade 1 teacher specifically didn't like me.  >:(

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/27/04 at 7:47 am

Elephant?  ;D :o

Howard

That's a joke from an old Cheech and Chong skit.

;D

Written By: kimmers on 07/27/04 at 3:01 pm

School:  Dennis Chavez Elementary

Teacher:  Mrs. Sanchez

Written By: PhiKapDave on 07/28/04 at 1:05 am

If you're counting Kindergarten, then my first school was called Sugar & Spice in Detroit.

If you're talking about elementary/grade school, it was Presentation Our of Lady of Victory in Detroit. This was the fall of 1977. My teacher's name was Mrs. Woods.

Written By: nally on 07/29/04 at 1:35 pm

In September 1985, when I started kindergarten, I attended a private Catholic school with nuns as the teachers; my first teacher was surnamed Concepcion (I think). Anyway, for some reason I was unhappy in that class, and on October 29, 1985 (yes, I remember the exact date) I was transferred to a different kindergarten class, taught by a Sr. ruth Helen.

In first and second grade, I also went to a Catholic school, taught by regular teachers. I didn't attend public school until the fourth grade.

Oh, by the way, the name of the school where I attended kindergarten was named Povarello.

Written By: blackdog on 07/29/04 at 6:11 pm

Went to Pond Plain Elementary School which was right by a pond ( geez, clever "Town Fathers" naming it Pond Plain   :-\\  )    And I'll never forget Mrs. Burke...  she didn't like my older brothers and so in turn she didn't like me very much.  I'lll never forget how she accused me of stealing some items in front of the whole class and made a kid sob.   I don't think I liked school much after that.

Check for new replies or respond here...