inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: My book is out!

Written By: Powerslave on 07/25/04 at 8:39 am

Yay! After two years of redrafts and waiting for the publisher to get all their other pojects out of the way, my book has came out at last!

Here's what the cover looks like:

http://www.ausmetalguide.com/images/AMG.jpg

;D

In case you're wondering, it's about Australian metal bands. :)

Subject: Re: My book is out!

Written By: Bobby on 07/25/04 at 8:43 am

Very cool and a great cover!

Good luck with the book, Powerslave.  :D

Written By: Paul on 07/25/04 at 9:06 am

That's an achievement, you must be very proud...

Hope it shifts some units for you...best of luck...

Written By: Harmonica on 07/25/04 at 11:04 am

Writing a book is one heck of an accomplishment. Congratulations and I hope it becomes a popular seller.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/25/04 at 1:07 pm

What an awesome cover, Powerslave!  Did you do the illustrations yourself?

I hope your book generates many sales!  :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/25/04 at 1:54 pm

Congratulations Powerslave! I'd love a copy...where and how can I get it ???

Written By: Powerslave on 07/25/04 at 3:05 pm

What an awesome cover, Powerslave!  Did you do the illustrations yourself?

The cover was commissioned for me by the publisher. If only I could draw that well... :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/25/04 at 3:51 pm

Congrats! That is WONDERFUL!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;DYou are the second person I know who has had a book come out this year. (My sister's third book was published last month.)

Cat

Written By: Dagwood on 07/25/04 at 9:23 pm

That's cool, Powerslave.  Good luck.

Cat, what kind of books does your sister write?

Written By: mandamoo on 07/25/04 at 9:33 pm

Congratulations Powerslave, what a fantastic achievement ! :)  Which book stores are carrying it ?

Written By: Powerslave on 07/26/04 at 1:05 am

Actually Moo, I'm only distributing it through certain record stores. In Sydney it's being sold at Utopia Import Records and at Red Eye Records.

Written By: mandamoo on 07/26/04 at 2:50 am

Actually Moo, I'm only distributing it through certain record stores. In Sydney it's being sold at Utopia Import Records and at Red Eye Records.

Aha !  Are they in town ?

Written By: Powerslave on 07/26/04 at 3:00 am

Yes they are.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 07/26/04 at 4:46 am

Way to go Power.

The cover looks very "Ettamogah gone metal" !!!!!!  hehehe

You must be very proud.

If you want a distributor in WA I recommend 78 Records in the cbd - they are very similar to Redeye - dealing with the hard to find stuff for hard core fans, raritys, books etc etc etc etc.  their link is http://www.78records.com.au

Best of luck with sales.  Hmmmm I think some fathers day promos could start soon !! 

Written By: philbo on 07/26/04 at 5:29 am

Nice one, Powerslave!  And such a worthwhile subject matter, too ;)

Do you know if we'll be able to get copies up here (or is it strictly an Aussie venture?)

:D  ...or even http://www.ironmaiden.org/images/smilies/rockdevil.gif

Phil

Written By: danootaandme on 07/26/04 at 6:37 am

I didn't know you were so googleable

Written By: jaytee on 07/26/04 at 8:44 am

Congrats Powerslave!  Hope it does well for you :)

Written By: mrgazpacho on 07/26/04 at 9:37 am

Aha !  Are they in town ?

Utopia is right next to the cinema complex on George Street. Red Eye keep moving to hide from me  ::)  but I think they're on Pitt Street near the Telstra building now...

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/26/04 at 10:55 am

congratulations on the publications!

it's always been something I've wanted to do myself, but I've never been able to commit the time to it, so I totally applaud the dedication to getting it done.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/26/04 at 11:57 am

That's cool, Powerslave.  Good luck.

Cat, what kind of books does your sister write?

Collectors' guides about dolls.

Cat

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 07/26/04 at 12:39 pm

Congratulations :)  That's quite an acheivement.  You should be very proud of yourself, you have acomplished something MANY people only dream about.  Next time I have a beer, I will drink one in honor of you - CHEERS! ;)

Written By: philbo on 07/26/04 at 12:51 pm

Better make sure it's a Fosters... or (or maybe and) XXXX, Tooheys, Emu, Crown, Swan - have I missed any?  (apart from Piss, of course)

Written By: Paul on 07/26/04 at 5:42 pm

Nice one, Powerslave!  And such a worthwhile subject matter, too ;)

Do you know if we'll be able to get copies up here (or is it strictly an Aussie venture?)

:D  ...or even http://www.ironmaiden.org/images/smilies/rockdevil.gif

Phil

I'm no expert on book buying (heaven knows I can't even read the things properly...!), but would it be going too far to suggest that if the book has been assigned an ISBN, it should theoretically be available to order anywhere in the world, assuming no import/export restrictions apply...?

Just a thought...

Written By: mandamoo on 07/28/04 at 5:39 am

Utopia is right next to the cinema complex on George Street. Red Eye keep moving to hide from me  ::)  but I think they're on Pitt Street near the Telstra building now...

Thanks mr  8) :)

Written By: maddog on 07/28/04 at 6:40 am

My heartfelt congratulations Powerslave, that's a truly fantastic achievement!

By the by, having visited Australia only once in 1990/91, I wondered if you ever came across an AC/DC tribute band called ABCD?
They were playing a small bar in Fremantle when my wife and I visited with my aunt & uncle, both over 70 at the time.
The noise was deafening (ABCD weren't actually bad at all) but my aunt & uncle were not to be deterred from their beers - hey, it was happy hour  ;).

Written By: Powerslave on 07/28/04 at 7:33 pm

My heartfelt congratulations Powerslave, that's a truly fantastic achievement!

By the by, having visited Australia only once in 1990/91, I wondered if you ever came across an AC/DC tribute band called ABCD?
They were playing a small bar in Fremantle when my wife and I visited with my aunt & uncle, both over 70 at the time.
The noise was deafening (ABCD weren't actually bad at all) but my aunt & uncle were not to be deterred from their beers - hey, it was happy hour  ;).

I can assume they were a Perth/Fremantle band, so no, I can't say I've even heard of them. :)

Thanks for all of your kind words, everyone. If anyone is interested in getting a copy and is unable to find it, I have quite a few myself that I can provide for you. If you'd like one, just PM me and I can sort something out. I'm not sure how available the book is as it was published by a company in Berlin. Their website is www.ip-verlag.de.

Gazpo and Manda: Red Eye is at 66 King Street, City. :)

Written By: Indy Gent on 07/29/04 at 3:24 pm

Congratulations on your book being published, Powerslave. You will no doubt inspire others to accomplish their dreams too. And always keep on rockin'. ;)

Written By: mandamoo on 07/30/04 at 4:06 am

Gazpo and Manda: Red Eye is at 66 King Street, City. :)

Thanks Powerslave. ;)

Though, I wouldn't mind purchasing a signed copy :)

Written By: Gis on 07/31/04 at 3:44 pm

Wow cool ! Congrats to you Powerslave !!
.What kind of metal does it cover? I have such fond memories of Kings of the Sun but I guess they are not exactly 'metal' ;D
I have to confess to being fairly ignorant on Australian metal bands unless they were covered in Kerrang!......

Written By: Powerslave on 08/02/04 at 6:11 am

Wow cool ! Congrats to you Powerslave !!
.What kind of metal does it cover? I have such fond memories of Kings of the Sun but I guess they are not exactly 'metal' ;D
I have to confess to being fairly ignorant on Australian metal bands unless they were covered in Kerrang!......

Well, Kings of the Sun are metal enough for me. My book covers pop metal through to grindcore, so the scope is pretty wide. :)

Written By: Gis on 08/02/04 at 8:51 am

Excellent !
Are they all bands who had record deals ?

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 08/02/04 at 9:22 am

Well, Kings of the Sun are metal enough for me. My book covers pop metal through to grindcore, so the scope is pretty wide. :)

Kings of the Sun ?  Didnt they have a former Uncanny Xmen member in them ?  Gone blank on names - guy with long blond mullett (Not Bwian !!).

Written By: Gis on 08/02/04 at 3:41 pm

The band were Jeffrey and Clifford Hoad,Anthony Ragg and Glen Morris.

Written By: Powerslave on 08/02/04 at 7:04 pm

Kings of the Sun ?  Didnt they have a former Uncanny Xmen member in them ?  Gone blank on names - guy with long blond mullett (Not Bwian !!).

That's correct. Ron Thiessen was the original bass player and played on their debut single "Bottom of My Heart" before leaving shortly after it was recorded. :)

Written By: Powerslave on 08/02/04 at 7:04 pm

Excellent !
Are they all bands who had record deals ?

No, I've included bands that only released demos, and even some that didn't record at all.

Check for new replies or respond here...