inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Pink Floyd

Written By: Fred on 07/27/04 at 3:12 am

What music is Pink Floyd classified under? I know nowadays it's simply called "Classic Rock". But what about songs like The Great Gig In The Sky? I read at a music biography website calling Pink Floyd the first "Space Rock" band, but I wanna here your opinions?

Btw, The Dark Side Of The Moon is one of the greatest  albums of all time.  8)

Subject: Re: Pink Floyd

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 07/27/04 at 8:14 am

I've seen them filed under "Arena Rock". 

Written By: sputnikcorp on 07/27/04 at 10:11 am

progressive/art rock.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/27/04 at 11:33 am

overplayed :-X

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/27/04 at 1:02 pm

progressive/art rock.

I agree.

Written By: Paul on 07/27/04 at 2:26 pm

If I were to be unkind, I'd say classify under 'corporate rock' (along with Zep and ELP)...

...but I'm not, so 'prog' they are...saying that, it's well worth investigating their early 'psyched-out' stuff...

Written By: Billy Florio on 07/27/04 at 7:48 pm

ok, were in my area now.........

it depends on what era and what generation Pink Floyd. 

Their early Syd Barrett stuff (which I highly recommend) would be filed under psycodelic/acid rock.....they came about in the late 60s, and fall in with the British Invasion.  On their only full Syd album (piper at the gates of dawn) and their follow up (Saucerful of secrets) and even on their amazing singles compilation (Relics), they do go through a number of styles, but acid/psychodelic rock pretty much sums it up.    "Bike" is pure druggy acid, while "Arnold Layne" is near sunshine pop........and other stuff is just drug induced noise jams

(NOTE: when I say drug induced, I mean just Syd Barrett....the other members did not use any drugs)

After Barretts departure, the band tried to find a sound.  Around Meddle, they found it with a progressive/art rock album.  Meddle is the first great progrssive Floyd album (the sound of which they are known for).  They brought this sound to its maximum hight with Dark Side of the moon (which I consider an overrated album....sorry).  THough their music was still considerd "druggy" (mostly due to its frequent spinning by stoners who want to see it match up with the Wizard of OZ), it was not drug induced.  DSOTM and Meddle, and the follow up, (and underrrated) Animals  could easily sit next to great progrssive albums like THe Yes Album, the Court of King Crimson and Brain Salad Surgury. 

THen comes my favorite Floyd album, Wish you were here.  Wish you were here is a combination of many different styles of Floyd put together.  You had progressive ("Shine on crazy diamond", and the horrible "Welcome to the Machine"), "pop folk" ("Wish you were here") and a sound that would show the way of albums to come, a sort of progressive arena rock (the amazing "Have a cigar")

(NOTE: I know "Corporate rock" was already brought up as a possible style for Floyd.  Even though at a certain point in time they could be called this, this name was not applicable to their 70s work)

To end the 70s they made the doubl album that defined Progressive arena rock (and had a tour to echo it).  THis album was The Wall (and their great live version of the Wall, IS there anybody out there?).  The Wall was arena rock, but unlike the  arena rock of the likes of Forigner and 80s Bruce Springsteen, Floyds arena rock echoed the progressive nature of their past, and wasnt just "fun music".  Songs like "Comfortably numb" and "Run like hell" and "YOung lust" define this perfectly.  Others, like their pop folk song "Mother" or the popish "ANothre brick in the wall" created a differnt Floyd sound.  "Another brick" was their first single since 1969!  Wall was th turning point from AOR Floyd to Corporate Floyd. 

THe FInal Cut came out next, but many dont consider this a real Floyd album because Roger Waters had all the control.  IMO, it tries to make a version of the Wall without the arena elements, and in doing so, takes away all the fun (and listenability...its very boring). 

After Final Cut, Waters left and released his not that great solo albums, and Floyd continued on with David Gilmour running things.  A Momentary Lapse of Reason, while having its highpoints, was just an exercize in "how to sell out".  This is the Corporate Floyd I mentioned.  Its fitting they have a song called "The Machine"...THe Division Bell is the same weak album. 

Right now Floyd is more or less on hiatus.  But over their brilliant progressive and acid and arena periods, they were one of the greatest bands on the planet.

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 07/27/04 at 8:50 pm

overplayed :-X

was that REALLY necessary? ::) 

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/27/04 at 9:31 pm

was that REALLY necessary? ::) 
Considering that on all the stations around here they are played constantly....yes. I do however, love the song "Hey You" and as I've weened myself off of the crap that "Clear channel" commands stations to play and have chosen music from my own collection...I am enjoying some more of thier timeless stuff ;)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/29/04 at 11:32 am

I love PF. Personally, I think they may be in a class by themselves. I listen to Hearts of Space on NPR which plays new age. One time they donated the entire show to PF. So maybe a cross between new age and rock.

Cat

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/29/04 at 3:07 pm

I've been to Denver and there are alot of stations to choose from and I KNOW all of them don't play Pink Floyd--find a new one :P.
Next time come up to Colorado Springs....anyway, they aren't THAT bad...just a little overplayed...that's IT! I never said they suck :)

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 07/29/04 at 6:28 pm

Hats off to  Billy Florio for finding a way to classify Pink Floyd's music! :)

As has been previously stated, Pink Floyd has experimented a lot with their music: acoustic folk ("Goodbye Blue Sky"), acoustic pop ("Wish You Were Here" , "Mother"), quasi-disco ("Another Brick in the Wall (Part 2)"), punk ("Sheep"), psychedelic rock, space rock, and orchestrated rock (The Wall, Final Cut).

And I don't think they ever sold out after Roger left. I thought that "High Hopes" (The last original song ever recorded by Pink Floyd) would a wonderful attempt at re-capturing the Pink Floyd of the 1970s.

Written By: Billy Florio on 07/29/04 at 8:17 pm

Hats off to  Billy Florio for finding a way to classify Pink Floyd's music! :)

As has been previously stated, Pink Floyd has experimented a lot with their music: acoustic folk ("Goodbye Blue Sky"), acoustic pop ("Wish You Were Here" , "Mother"), quasi-disco ("Another Brick in the Wall (Part 2)"), punk ("Sheep"), psychedelic rock, space rock, and orchestrated rock (The Wall, Final Cut).

And I don't think they ever sold out after Roger left. I thought that "High Hopes" (The last original song ever recorded by Pink Floyd) would a wonderful attempt at re-capturing the Pink Floyd of the 1970s.

you might be the only one who actully read my synopsis............

High Hopes...egh....the whole Division Bell album was a waste of my time.  and then that Dance Music compilation..oh Lord make it stop!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/29/04 at 9:40 pm

you might be the only one who actully read my synopsis............

High Hopes...egh....the whole Division Bell album was a waste of my time.  and then that Dance Music compilation..oh Lord make it stop!
Not being much of a Floyd fan I can appreciate your statement and yet I did find their earlier stuff enjoyable, even though it was overplayed on most stations it was still decent :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/29/04 at 10:06 pm

We did (went to the outlet mall and the AFA), and hubby is into Classic Rock and I don't remember hearing it :)
It's cool....what did you think of the Springs?

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/30/04 at 4:54 pm

It's beautiful.  Actually, that's one of the few places where I told hubby he could transfer...not ungodly hot and humid like it is here and I could ski and teach the boys as well ;)
If you guys ever make it out here, look me up ;)

Written By: AssKicker on 07/30/04 at 5:56 pm

I think it's prog rock. And yes, Dark Side of the Moon is one of the best albums ever. One of my favourite albums, certainly.

Written By: gemini61 on 07/30/04 at 6:38 pm

When I met my hubby in '79, I really didn't even know much about them. I had heard Dark Side, but that was about it. He changed all that in a hurry, since he is a total freak about Floyd. He loves all the early, early stuff. And I finally went to see them in concert in the 80's. I wouldn't doubt if he wants them played at his funeral!  ::)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/30/04 at 6:41 pm

When I met my hubby in '79, I really didn't even know much about them. I had heard Dark Side, but that was about it. He changed all that in a hurry, since he is a total freak about Floyd. He loves all the early, early stuff. And I finally went to see them in concert in the 80's. I wouldn't doubt if he wants them played at his funeral!  ::)
I don't hate them...they just aren't my "Cup of tea"

Written By: mandamoo on 08/02/04 at 4:29 am

'Live In Pompeii' is a must see for any Pink Floyd fan. It was recorded back in the early 70's and was shot in and around the ruins of an old amphitheatre. It's quite surreal actually ! :)

Subject: Pink Floyd

Written By: Dude111 on 09/07/22 at 7:48 pm

Why do some people call them 420 floyd now??

I think its disrespectful and rude......... (I hear this active rock station I listen to call them this)

Check for new replies or respond here...