inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Your idea for a movie

Written By: Mangoo on 07/30/04 at 12:15 pm

Do you have a movie idea that you wished would be on the big screen?

One of mine is a Quantum Leap meets Animal Kingdom flick.Thia guy has the power to change from one animal to another but he cant control what he turns into and gets in all kinds of weird situations.

Subject: Re: Your idea for a movie

Written By: Bobby on 07/30/04 at 4:50 pm

I have an idea for a psychological drama based on paranoia. I won't go any further than that despite having details because I haven't formed a proper context to it yet.

Written By: AssKicker on 07/30/04 at 5:55 pm

I have an idea for a film where an autistic, depressed teen uses imagery techniques to fight her depression and imagines a world that she visits to relieve anxiety. Her world gradually becomes more like a real place with political and social problems. Decisions made in the imaginary world affect the girl's real life and she eventually beats her depression after helping to sort out the problems in her imaginary world and finally being able to relax in it.

Hopefully it wouldn't put people off relaxation therapy (which is really very helpful! :))

Written By: Bobby on 07/30/04 at 6:46 pm

I have an idea for a film where an autistic, depressed teen uses imagery techniques to fight her depression and imagines a world that she visits to relieve anxiety. Her world gradually becomes more like a real place with political and social problems. Decisions made in the imaginary world affect the girl's real life and she eventually beats her depression after helping to sort out the problems in her imaginary world and finally being able to relax in it.

Hopefully it wouldn't put people off relaxation therapy (which is really very helpful! :))

Very interesting, @sskicker.

Written By: Billy Florio on 07/30/04 at 8:51 pm

my movie ideas get written by me and turned into scripts......

currently Im working on one feature length movie script, and two short films......with any luck Ill have a short film actully filmed by this time next year....I dont expect this current full length film, or any other of my (mostly weaker) full length films to be filmed any time soon...budget issues......

I was all set to direct a 2 minute film earlier in the summer, but once again, numorous problems came up, and production was haulted (and is more  or less cancelled....the film festival deadline is Wenesday) because of both budget and equipment problems.......

Written By: Bobby on 07/31/04 at 11:15 am

currently Im working on one feature length movie script, and two short films......with any luck Ill have a short film actully filmed by this time next year....I dont expect this current full length film, or any other of my (mostly weaker) full length films to be filmed any time soon...budget issues......

I was all set to direct a 2 minute film earlier in the summer, but once again, numorous problems came up, and production was haulted (and is more  or less cancelled....the film festival deadline is Wenesday) because of both budget and equipment problems.......

What kind of problems did you have, Billy? I would love to be a film director/film maker so any experience/wisdom you can pass to me would be invaluable.  :)

Written By: Howard on 07/31/04 at 11:31 am

How about a movie film about a guy who has OCD and can't seem to help himself? :D

Howard

Written By: Billy Florio on 07/31/04 at 6:40 pm

What kind of problems did you have, Billy? I would love to be a film director/film maker so any experience/wisdom you can pass to me would be invaluable.  :)

Well, it would be easy to blaim the production hault on the unreliableness of my producer/editer/script co-writer, but that wouldnt be right because first of all, usually she's very reliable, and this wasnt really her fault......

We were set to direct a short 2 minute film for a film contest (I dont know why  said festival), that Mirimax and ready.gov was sponsering.  We wrote the script, and filled out the paperwork.  Mickey, (my editor/producer) had two digital cameras that we would be using to film, and I wrote down my direction notes....I was having a friend of mine compose a short musical score for the film (we turned it into a silent film because we felt it was funnier that way).  We even got down to casting.  (this was late June I might add).  Then it came time to buy the props for the film, and find the shooting locations.  We first searched Ebay for the proper props (we needed some weird stuff, like a Charlie Chaplin Costum, and a gigantic top hat).  THe stuff there either wasnt right, or was too expensive.  Money became a factor here. 

We decided we would have to go look around a few costume and party and thrift stores for the props, but another problem came up before that: Mickeys camera broke.  I dont know how it broke, and I dont know what was wrong with it, but it broke.  Now this was late June, we still had time bfore the deadline on August 4th (coincidentally, my birthday), so I wasnt too worried, plus, if all went to hell, we had the other, older camera.  I decided to wait for the good one to be fixed because Mickey didnt like editing with the othre camera (I dont know how to edit, so I just had to believe her).  And we waited...and waited...and waited.....finally about three weeks ago, Mickey tells me that the camera shop doesnt know whats wrong with it, and cant fix it.  "Alright" I said, even though you dont like using it, well have to film with the other camera, because the deadlines a month away, and we need to film, edit, and send it in.  THats when I got told the next peice of news....her sister had just got married and took that camera with her....now we're screwed.....

We waited for a final analysis of the camera from the camera store...and came down to the conclusion that we need to buy a new camera, but neither one of us actully has the money for that....now, I could have at this time, gone back to my old production team (members of them worked with me in high school, they have their own filmaking production company www.basketfullofpuppies.com), but that problem with that would be, Mickey would have been taken out of the loop, and Nick or someone there would have probably forced me out of the directors chair (one of the reasons I no longer work with them), and some of them were never to fond of my writing as well......those were the cons..the pros are, I would actully be working with professional NYU-like equipment, and I would finally have a director of Photography that knows what they are doing.  Plus, (this is both a pro and con) they probably would have replaced my amature not that great of actor actors, with their amazing comic actors (who originally I wanted for the roles, but I didnt go to them for the same reasons)...I went to highschool with these guys, and I have their DVDs... I know how good they are...

plus, they probably would have wanted a cut of the reward money......

so we were screwed.....

but if you want advice on how to direct, here....

always have a reliable team...you being the director (and probably screenwriter), an editor, producer, Dir.of photo, and actors (this actully could all be you, but it might be better if there were more people).  also, if youre working on good equipment, then make sure you have people who know sound and lighting and film (which should be youre editor and dir of photo). 

remember its YOUR vision....not someone elses....its not th actors vision or the editor...listen to their ideas, but its your vision .....

I write my own stuff, so that takes out the seperate screenwriter, and it makes it easier for directing, because when I wrote the script, I had an idea of how i was filming in my head.

put the actors you know can play the part in the roles...not necessarilly your friends who cant act.  For this specific movie, I did that only because the roles had no speaking, and the only real requirment was they had to look funny while falling down.....

For the actual ability to direct, look at the past masters.  The films that influenced my directing the most were: Citizen Kane (1942, Welles), THe Graduate (1967, Nicols), Breathless (1960, Goddard), Pulp Fiction (1994, Tarintino), Goodfellas (1990, Scorsesse), TH Godfather (1971, Coppola), and Chinatown (1973, Polanski). 

plus many more that had major influence. 

Look at the past masters, and th current indie masters (ie Sofia Coppola, Tarintino, David Lynch, Wes Anderson, Jim Jarmasett, Paul Thomas Anderson, etc), and find inspiration.....

hope that helps.......

Written By: danootaandme on 08/01/04 at 9:58 am

You should contact @ssKicker, that is a good one

Written By: Junior on 08/01/04 at 10:17 am

I've come up with a few movie ideas that I tell myself I'll try to come up with scripts for, but I end up procrastinating and never even work on them. The most I've done for an idea is a scene and maybe a few one-liners...enough to where I can make up a teaser trailer in my head or something.

Written By: Billy Florio on 08/01/04 at 7:51 pm

You should contact @ssKicker, that is a good one

what can @sskicker provide me? lol

Written By: Mike Florio on 08/02/04 at 7:31 pm

I have quite a few scripts already done... ;D

I have one indirectly based on William Golding's "Lord of the Flies," and another which tends to be more of a psychological drama/black comedy, those are the only two I like so far, although I also have my first and seccond completed scripts which I am currently re-doing(both of them), I have another script which could use quite some more editing, and another which I am half way done with, but I think its come out great so far, but I wont give out the plot to it, and with the plot comes the explanation as to why I havent started the seccond half yet.  If anyone is interested, I will pm them a copy of one of my scripts/give them some more information about my writing.  I could always use the criticism. Thanks.

Check for new replies or respond here...