inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Things you've always pondered

Written By: karen on 08/11/04 at 4:31 am

O.K. a post I just made in another thread made me start thinking about things I've always pondered but never known where to find the right answer.  This htread is for you to post your little ponders and wonderings and maybe suggest answers for others.

The one that has bugged me most is the origins of the rhyme

Pinch, punch.  First of the month.

where, as the rhyme suggests, you pinch then punch (lightly!) someone on the arm on the first day of the month.  Why?  who thought of associating the first day of the month with violence?

Subject: Re: Things you've always pondered

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 08/11/04 at 7:54 am

O.K. a post I just made in another thread made me start thinking about things I've always pondered but never known where to find the right answer.  This htread is for you to post your little ponders and wonderings and maybe suggest answers for others.

The one that has bugged me most is the origins of the rhyme

Pinch, punch.  First of the month.

where, as the rhyme suggests, you pinch then punch (lightly!) someone on the arm on the first day of the month.  Why?  who thought of associating the first day of the month with violence?

I cannot tell you Karen.  I can only suggest that it is a bit old fashioned because we have so much violence these days, that it could not all be crammed into a single day.  :(

I don't know what I ponder.  I am sure there must be many things !  I will try to come back to this !

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 08/11/04 at 12:33 pm

Speaking of the 'first of the month'....

My Dad told me that there is an old tradition to say "Rabbit, Rabbit" on the first day of each new month.  He does this all the time, but I've never really understood what a 'rabbit' has to do with the first day of the month.  ???

Written By: Bobo on 08/11/04 at 1:13 pm

"…the following belief is common in many parts of Great Britain, with local variants: To secure good luck of some kind, usually a present, one should say ‘Rabbits’ three times just before going to sleep on the last day of the month, and then ‘Hares’ three times on waking the next morning"

If we look closely there, it appears that we're actually meant to say "Rabbits", or some variant (it was always White Rabbits around here), at the very end of the previous month, and "Hares", to answer it on the first day of the month. An oddity indeed.

Check this out for some more gen:

http://www.globalpsychics.com/lp/Superstition/rabbit.htm

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 08/11/04 at 2:01 pm

Thanks for the info, Bobo!  ;)

Written By: Howard on 08/11/04 at 9:16 pm

My Dad told me that there is an old tradition to say "Rabbit, Rabbit" on the first day of each new month.  He does this all the time, but I've never really understood what a 'rabbit' has to do with the first day of the month.  ???

How about rabbit,rabbit,habit,habit? :o ;D

Howard

Written By: karen on 08/12/04 at 4:05 am

In my family we say White Rabbit on the first morning.  It's supposed to be good luck if it's the first thing you say.

In a book I read many years ago two of the characters walked down the stairs backwards whilst repeating the words white rabbit over and over.  Then they walked up to another friend and asked for something (marbles and money I seem to recall) and said he had to give them their wish bcause of what they'd just done.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 08/12/04 at 12:32 pm

In a book I read many years ago two of the characters walked down the stairs backwards whilst repeating the words white rabbit over and over.  Then they walked up to another friend and asked for something (marbles and money I seem to recall) and said he had to give them their wish bcause of what they'd just done.

So did the friend ever give them his marbles (or money)?  ???

Written By: Mike Florio on 08/12/04 at 10:56 pm

if you cant throw rocks in a glass house, then what house can you throw them in?  Because, you know, Ive been throwing rocks in brick houses for quite some time, and Im wondering if I could rightfully do this, you know...

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 08/13/04 at 12:24 pm

I think he gave them all his money cuz he'd lost his marbles :D ;D

LOL!  ;D

Written By: annimal on 10/14/18 at 11:20 pm

how come I keep staying up so late at night?

Written By: karen on 01/01/19 at 1:38 pm

how come I keep staying up so late at night?

Just spotted this post Ann.

Not sure if you are still wondering this or not.

Think about how much caffeine you drink in the day, and try not have any after lunch.

Restrict your screen time after about 9p.m. at night as they can give off bluer light which fools the brain into thinking it is still daylight.

Get into a routine each night to prepare your body and brain for sleeping - no tv or screens in your room and leave your phone downstairs.

Written By: Howard on 01/01/19 at 2:01 pm

Why bother watching The New Year's Eve countdown until after midnight when you can easily get a lot of sleep.

Written By: annimal on 01/01/19 at 4:43 pm

^^ I've started only drinking coffee in the morning since then.

Written By: 2001 on 01/01/19 at 5:38 pm

Why bother watching The New Year's Eve countdown until after midnight when you can easily get a lot of sleep.

I honestly agree. I'm just going to watch the Paris New Years countdown next year. I mean it's 12AM somewhere eh.

Written By: Howard on 01/02/19 at 3:12 pm

I honestly agree. I'm just going to watch the Paris New Years countdown next year. I mean it's 12AM somewhere eh.

Who in the hell stays up past midnight on New Year's just to watch a stupid ball go down these days unless you're a millennial. I'd rather get sleep and watch it the next day on the computer.

Written By: karen on 01/03/19 at 3:31 am

Who in the hell stays up past midnight on New Year's just to watch a stupid ball go down these days unless you're a millennial. I'd rather get sleep and watch it the next day on the computer.

I don't get why you feel you need to watch it the next day.  Either stay up and celebrate the start of the new year with family and friends or go to bed. Watching the celebrations the next day seems daft to me

Written By: Howard on 01/03/19 at 5:37 am

I don't get why you feel you need to watch it the next day.  Either stay up and celebrate the start of the new year with family and friends or go to bed. Watching the celebrations the next day seems daft to me

I think they sometimes repeat the show on YouTube but without commercials.

Check for new replies or respond here...