inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: TV or Movie characters that you didnt want to die

Written By: Mangoo on 08/17/04 at 1:27 pm

For me its gotta be Darth Maul he was the best thing about these awful Star Wars prequels.Also Russell Crowe in Gladiator maybe it was a blessing in disguise they migh have been tempted to make a bad sequel.

Subject: Re: TV or Movie characters that you didnt want to die

Written By: Harmonica on 08/17/04 at 3:26 pm

Family Matters - well she didn't die - but Judy off of ..she never came back.  Rachel and Little Richie seemed to die out for a while..but then they made a return.

Happy Day's -Richie Cunningham's older brother on  What happened to him?

Halloween V  - Didn't want Rachel Carruthers to die

MacGyver - The episode were his black friend Malcom dies, it was actually quite a shocker. I was also dissapointed when Merdock died, but always knew he'd some how magically come back, because the episodes with him always seemed to get higher ratings.

Wonder Years - The older sister...well she didn't die...but left the show...she was kinda hot.

The Original Power Rangers - To think how stupid the show is today and how at one time it used to be decent

Andy Griffith Show - When Flyod the Barber died and I liked Howard...but missed Barney being around.

I'll think of more later

Written By: gemini61 on 08/17/04 at 4:19 pm

John Coffey in the movie "The Green Mile", that really ticked me off  :\'( (I know, it was only a movie  ;) ), and Mr. Hooper on Sesame Street  :( , and Bambi's mother  :\'(  Pretty traumatic for a little kid!

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/17/04 at 5:19 pm

Magnum, P.I. - I didn't want Magnum to die.

Written By: Howard on 08/17/04 at 6:10 pm

John Coffey in the movie "The Green Mile", that really ticked me off  :\'( (I know, it was only a movie  ;) ), and Mr. Hooper on Sesame Street  :( , and Bambi's mother  :\'(  Pretty traumatic for a little kid!

Or How about David from Sesame Street who died in 1990 and how about John Ritter from 8 Simple Rules? :\'(

Howard

Written By: gemini61 on 08/17/04 at 6:13 pm

Or How about David from Sesame Street who died in 1990 and how about John Ritter from 8 Simple Rules? :\'(

Howard

I can't believe I forgot about John Ritter, that was so sad and unexpected  :(

Written By: Indy Gent on 08/17/04 at 6:36 pm

As far as characters, I thought Henry Blake was unnecessarily put to death because the M*A*S*H writers were bitter about McLean Stevenson's departure. Also, wished that Wesley and Fred didn't die on "Angel", or Anya on "Buffy".
Movie characters: The two black soldiers in "Apocalypse Now", Beth of "Little Women" (They would allso have to change the book, too, to get her to live.), Reka (Patsy Kensit) in Lethal Weapon 2, and the Vin Diesel character in "Saving Private Ryan", (although I'm not a big Diesel fan.)

Written By: Howard on 08/17/04 at 6:48 pm

I can't believe I forgot about John Ritter, that was so sad and unexpected  :(

That's ok,you didn't know. :(It will be 1 year in September since JR's passing. :\'(

Howard

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/17/04 at 7:03 pm

As far as characters, I thought Henry Blake was unnecessarily put to death because the M*A*S*H writers were bitter about McLean Stevenson's departure. Also, wished that Wesley and Fred didn't die on "Angel", or Anya on "Buffy".
Movie characters: The two black soldiers in "Apocalypse Now", Beth of "Little Women" (They would allso have to change the book, too, to get her to live.), Reka (Patsy Kensit) in Lethal Weapon 2, and the Vin Diesel character in "Saving Private Ryan", (although I'm not a big Diesel fan.)

McLean lost the battle but won the war.  By getting out of M*A*S*H he was able to take on the starring role in "Hello, Larry"

;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/17/04 at 7:09 pm

"Chuck" just dissappeared :o.....so did the oldest brother on My Three Sons...before Ernie came on the show....Tim Considine played "Mike" from 1960-65.....
http://www.museum.tv/archives/etv/M/htmlM/mythreesons/mythreesonsIMAGE/mythreesons.jpg

Written By: Mike Florio on 08/17/04 at 9:43 pm

ummm....lets see.....

Alex Krychek(Nicolas Lea) on the X-files.  Come on, Skinner had no purpose to shoot him in the head!  His death was just completely unnecerssery for the series, it wouldve been easier just to put him back into a Turkish Prison, but the show had jumped by then anyway, so oh well.

speaking of Nicolas Lea, why did EVERY charactor in "Vertical Limit" have to die except for the main four?  I still happened to think this film was kinda dumb in the end because it was not only entirely improbable, but it also had a lot of dumb scenes, for example, when the main charactor, forget the actor's name, decided to jump from one side of the cannon to the other, completely pointless!

Kaplan in "Resident Evil."  I mean come on, if youre gonna bring a charactor back to save everyone else, much less, after that long of an absence, at least dont kill him two scenes later.

The arbitrary character of Nunen in "Armegeddon."  I mean although this guy has maybe two lines in the whole movie, he was still the man!

Will Smith's friend in "Independence Day."

Wedge in the origional "Star Wars!"  And come to think of it, Gold Leader as well!  Those charactors didnt need to die!

Spiro Pappadimos in "Guns of Navorone."  He was my favorite character, and then they just kill him off in a machine gun battle!  At least he went down honorbly.

Robert Shaw in "The taking of Pelham 123" and "Jaws."  They were just such nicely written roles in both movies.

The spanish soldier in "Alien Resorection."  Now dont get me wrong, this movie was HORRIBLE!  But at least he was a cool character.

I personally believe that Tom Skirrit couldve held out longer in "Alien." John KerryHarry Dean Stanton didnt have to die so soon either.

Bill Paxton in "Aliens."  Hudson was such a cool character!!!  "Game over man, Game over!"

Number 2 in "Austin Powers," although he does return for both sequals.

Why did Benicio Del Torro have to die before everyone else in "The Usual Suspects?"  He was sooooooo funny!

Joe Pesci in "Goodfellas."

Michael Madson in "Resivior Dogs."

The Chef in "The Shining."

Vincent D'onofrio and the origional squadrin leader(the one who picked up the stuffed bunny that was lying on a mine) in "Full Metal Jacket."

The Photographer in "The Omen."

now keep in mind, most of these characters needed to die in these movies, I mentioned it if I had thought their deaths to be unnecerssery.  And I know, I have a large list, and I have some more to add as well.

Written By: AssKicker on 08/18/04 at 12:40 am

Jeff in Coupling. He didn't die (he got a sex change operation) but the third series has been terrible without him. He was only 1/6 of the cast, but easily more than 70% of the humour. Who else but him would come up with pr0n jelly or think that if he kissed a woman his mother would emasculate him with a miniature guillotine? He's crazy and I love him. :)

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 08/18/04 at 5:18 am

Mark Green in ER :(

Henry Blake in MASH :( (a scene I consider one of the greatest TV moments)

ET - when he "dies"

Yoda - sniff :(

Patrick Swayze in Point Break (or did he ?? stay tuned for the sequel)

River Phoenix in Stand By Me

Sam Elliot in Roadhouse

Aussies

Erik Thompson in All Saints

Molly in A Country Practice

Really sad ones - where the character died because the actor died

Coach in Cheers
the boss in Hill St Blues (having a blank on his name)

Written By: Mangoo on 08/18/04 at 8:50 am

ummm....lets see.....

Alex Krychek(Nicolas Lea) on the X-files.  Come on, Skinner had no purpose to shoot him in the head!  His death was just completely unnecerssery for the series, it wouldve been easier just to put him back into a Turkish Prison, but the show had jumped by then anyway, so oh well.

speaking of Nicolas Lea, why did EVERY charactor in "Vertical Limit" have to die except for the main four?  I still happened to think this film was kinda dumb in the end because it was not only entirely improbable, but it also had a lot of dumb scenes, for example, when the main charactor, forget the actor's name, decided to jump from one side of the cannon to the other, completely pointless!

Kaplan in "Resident Evil."  I mean come on, if youre gonna bring a charactor back to save everyone else, much less, after that long of an absence, at least dont kill him two scenes later.

The arbitrary character of Nunen in "Armegeddon."  I mean although this guy has maybe two lines in the whole movie, he was still the man!

Wedge in the origional "Star Wars!"  And come to think of it, Gold Leader as well!  Those charactors didnt need to die!

Spiro Pappadimos in "Guns of Navorone."  He was my favorite character, and then they just kill him off in a machine gun battle!  At least he went down honorbly.

Robert Shaw in "The taking of Pelham 123" and "Jaws."  They were just such nicely written roles in both movies.

The spanish soldier in "Alien Resorection."  Now dont get me wrong, this movie was HORRIBLE!  But at least he was a cool character.

I personally believe that Tom Skirrit couldve held out longer in "Alien." John KerryHarry Dean Stanton didnt have to die so soon either.

Bill Paxton in "Aliens."  Hudson was such a cool character!!!  "Game over man, Game over!"

Why did Benicio Del Torro have to die before everyone else in "The Usual Suspects?"  He was sooooooo funny!

Vincent D'onofrio and the origional squadrin leader(the one who picked up the stuffed bunny that was lying on a mine) in "Full Metal Jacket."

now keep in mind, most of these characters needed to die in these movies, I mentioned it if I had thought their deaths to be unnecerssery.  And I know, I have a large list, and I have some more to add as well.

Wedge didnt die in Star Wars his fighter was just damaged and he went back to the base.He was squadron leader in Return of the Jedi.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/18/04 at 9:00 am

Jeff in Coupling. He didn't die (he got a sex change operation) but the third series has been terrible without him. He was only 1/6 of the cast, but easily more than 70% of the humour. Who else but him would come up with pr0n jelly or think that if he kissed a woman his mother would emasculate him with a miniature guillotine? He's crazy and I love him. :)

Hey @sskicker,

I just saw your profile.  Are you related to the man of the same last name who was one of America's richest men back in the 1950's ? ???

That guy rocked.  Had a new son when he was 87.  Left all his money to charity too.

LB

Written By: Mangoo on 08/18/04 at 9:05 am

ummm....lets see.....

Wedge didnt die his fighter was damaged and he made it back to the base.Remember he was squadron leader in Return of the Jedi.

Written By: kimmers on 08/18/04 at 2:54 pm

I have to agree with BrianMannixGirl and some of the others on:

Henry Blake-M*A*S*H
Mark Green-ER
Sam Elliot-Roadhouse
Patrick Swayze-Point Break

But I haven't seen this one yet:

Gary-30 Something

He was my favorite and my friend and I called each other crying when it happened.  Goofy I know but sometimes you get so attached to characters.

Written By: onaree on 08/19/04 at 10:44 am

Spike on "Buffy", even though they brought him back for "Angel"

Written By: Mike Florio on 08/19/04 at 2:30 pm

Wedge didnt die his fighter was damaged and he made it back to the base.Remember he was squadron leader in Return of the Jedi.

I meant Biggs...my mistake...

Written By: Sentimentalist on 08/19/04 at 4:01 pm

I agree with Yaphett Koto, Parker shouldn't have died!
God lyk!

Written By: jaytee on 08/20/04 at 4:21 am

I
Gary-30 Something

He was my favorite and my friend and I called each other crying when it happened.  Goofy I know but sometimes you get so attached to characters.

OMG I can remember that as if it were yesterday!  I cried uncontrollably.  It was such a shcok - it was almost like it was a close friend dying.

Written By: AssKicker on 08/22/04 at 12:24 pm

Hey @sskicker,

I just saw your profile.  Are you related to the man of the same last name who was one of America's richest men back in the 1950's ? ???

That guy rocked.  Had a new son when he was 87.  Left all his money to charity too.

LB

'Fraid not, no. My family up to that era are all either English, Irish or Dutch. It would be cool if I were though!

On topic, I miss Compo from Last of the Summer Wine. :(

Written By: Howard on 08/22/04 at 5:38 pm

Fred Berry
Isabel Sanford
John Ritter  :\'(

Howard

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/22/04 at 6:10 pm

Freddie Prinze

Written By: Howard on 08/22/04 at 6:29 pm

Will Lee

Howard

Written By: AngeliK on 08/23/04 at 10:24 am

Halloran doesn't die in the book, in fact Kubric changed the entire ending, so Halloran shouldn't have died anyway. :)

stan In IT shouldn't have topped himself either,  it wasn't loyal

And Coffey in the Green Mile was probably one of the saddest fictional moments I've seen...
that and Mufasa in The Lion King  :\'(

(I'm a Stephen King Fan, did anyone guess?!!)

Written By: AngeliK on 08/23/04 at 10:26 am

Chris (my boyfriend) says he didn't want DATA to die in Star-Trek Nemesis.
Or Tom Hanks in Saving Private Ryan.

Written By: danootaandme on 08/23/04 at 10:28 am

Ohhh mannnnn!!!!  We didn't know about that on this side of the pond.

Written By: Sentimentalist on 08/23/04 at 8:32 pm

Okay, well, NOW I DON"T NEED TO SEE SAVING PRIVATE RYAN!
Darth Vader Is Luke Skywalker's father.
God lyk!

grumble grumble

Written By: AssKicker on 09/08/04 at 1:33 am

Ohhh mannnnn!!!!  We didn't know about that on this side of the pond.

Sorry! :( I didn't know you had it over there. Is it exactly the same or has it been changed, i.e. are they all English (except for Jeff who's Welsh), do they still all talk about sex, does Jeff still have all his crazy ideas like pr0n jelly and Captain Subtext? If they have changed it, I bet they made Jeff Canadian.

Written By: Howard on 09/08/04 at 8:48 pm

Chico and The Man's old guy character?

Howard

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/08/04 at 9:08 pm

Chico and The Man's old guy character?

Howard

I think Chico died befroe The Man did.  :-\\

Written By: AL-B on 09/09/04 at 12:40 pm

I meant Biggs...my mistake...
And don't forget about Porkins!!! ;D ;D ;D

Written By: kimmers on 09/09/04 at 2:13 pm

OMG I can remember that as if it were yesterday!   I cried uncontrollably.  It was such a shcok - it was almost like it was a close friend dying.

I know!!  As soon as it cut to commercial, my phone rang and my friend and I were sobbing to each other.  We were convinced it had to be a mistake.  Of course, my husband and her boyfriend couldn't understand how we could get so upset over a TV show.

Written By: Howard on 09/09/04 at 9:40 pm

I think Chico died befroe The Man did.   :-\\

Jack Albertson died in 1981 of Cancer.

Howard

Written By: Niko101 on 09/10/04 at 1:12 pm

Bjork as Selma Jezkova in Dancer In The Dark (I was freaking out through that whole last part)
Phil Hartman (Bill McNeil) on "NewsRadio" (that one was a SHOCK, remember?)
Data in "Star Trek Nemesis" (I know there was a "replacement" Data, but the original character had developed beautifully over the years)

Written By: Gecko on 09/10/04 at 4:20 pm

Aussies

Erik Thompson in All Saints

Molly in A Country Practice

Here's another Aussie one - Detective Rachael Goldstein in Water Rats.  I cried and cried when she died.  Then in the final episode they killed of Jack, and you guessed it, I cried agian.

Written By: Gecko on 09/10/04 at 4:21 pm

Ooh - just thought of another one - Lucy in ER.

Written By: kimmers on 09/10/04 at 6:02 pm

Here's another that I thought of:

Todd-Suddenly Susan

Written By: Howard on 09/10/04 at 8:30 pm

Edith Bunker

Howard

Written By: whitewolf on 03/06/05 at 7:55 am

Dawson's father on Dawson's Creek
and Jennifer on Dawson's Creek

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/06/05 at 10:19 am

Inspector Morse

and

Victor Meldrew from "One Foot In the Grave"

Written By: Bobby on 03/06/05 at 11:03 am

Magnum, P.I. - I didn't want Magnum to die.

How did Magnum P.I, Lyricboy? I liked him.

Written By: Webstor on 03/06/05 at 1:42 pm

Mickey..from the Rocky Movies
Optimus Prime in Transformers the Movie
Augustus McCray in Lonesome Dove
Doc Holiday in Tombstone
Spock in Star Trek 2
Bobba Fett in Return of the Jedi

Magnum P.I., Colonel Blake in MASH, Tara on Buffy, John Ritter

Written By: whitewolf on 03/06/05 at 5:31 pm

Hannah on Lonesome Dove

Written By: jiminy on 03/06/05 at 6:19 pm

Bambi's mom... in the movie, Bambi is a male deer, but I've never met a guy named Bambi, a few female strippers yes...but never a guy named Bambi

Written By: Indy Gent on 03/06/05 at 6:56 pm

Just thought of some more:

Sgt. Elias (Willem Dafoe) in Platoon
Emma (Debra Winger) in Terms of Endearment
Shelby (Julia Roberts) in Steel Magnolias
The horse in Animal House
Maude Flanders in "The Simpsons"

Written By: jiminy on 03/06/05 at 7:02 pm

Just thought of some more:

Sgt. Elias (Willem Dafoe) in Platoon
Emma (Debra Winger) in Terms of Endearment
Shelby (Julia Roberts) in Steel Magnolias
The horse in Animal House
Maude Flanders in "The Simpsons"
The horse in Animal House... that's what made the scene funny...Bubba, Moma and Jennie in Forest Gump

Written By: Indy Gent on 03/06/05 at 7:04 pm

I have to admit I laughed at that scene, too. :-
The horse in Animal House... that's what made the scene funny...Bubba, Moma and Jennie in Forest Gump

Written By: whitewolf on 03/06/05 at 7:05 pm

Mary's baby along with Alice Garvey on Little House on the Prairie

Written By: annmouse5 on 03/06/05 at 7:06 pm

The psycho girl on Sweet November...did she even die?
Definitely John Ritter
Mandy Moore on what was it-"A Walk to Remember"-she was beautiful on that movie
The guy from Law and Order-Orbach?
The boy on "My Girl"-that was so sad when I was little.
I don't know-the list could go on forever...I'm a sentimental/romantic type.

:\'(

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/06/05 at 9:50 pm

Boba Fett, especially because died a lame death!!!!  ::)
Captain Kirk, he had a lame death in Star Trek Generations
Yoda
Mustapha
Apollo Creed
E.T.  (All though he came back later.)
Darth Maul

Written By: Webstor on 03/06/05 at 11:00 pm

forgot to add one

Jock Ewing on Dallas

Written By: Tam on 03/07/05 at 12:38 am

Dr. Mark Greene (Anthony Edwards) on ER

Written By: jiminy on 03/07/05 at 1:05 am

Goose (Anthony Edwards) in Top Gun

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/07/05 at 2:59 am

I am with you on that one.

For me the most depressing death, would have to be the horse in The Neverending Story.  :\'(

Alllthough, he comes back later.

Written By: Tam on 03/07/05 at 12:18 pm

nice one jiminy!  ;)

Written By: annmouse5 on 03/07/05 at 7:19 pm

Goose on Top Gun!  I'm with you on that.

Written By: Zella on 03/08/05 at 2:36 am

Mr. Shickle (Shickle's Pickle's) and Vic on QAF....

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/09/05 at 12:44 am

well...not a tv character.....but Joey and Johnny Ramone (RIP)....I freakin love those guys!! :\'(

Erin :)

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/09/05 at 12:50 am

Darth Vader/Anakin Skywalker in Return of the Jedi.  :\'(

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/17/06 at 10:33 pm

most recently...Dana on The L Word.

Written By: GREEN67 on 03/17/06 at 10:50 pm

Family Matters - well she didn't die - but Judy off of ..she never came back.  Rachel and Little Richie seemed to die out for a while..but then they made a return.

Halloween V  - Didn't want Rachel Carruthers to die

MacGyver - The episode were his black friend Malcom dies, it was actually quite a shocker. I was also dissapointed when Merdock died, but always knew he'd some how magically come back, because the episodes with him always seemed to get higher ratings.

Wonder Years - The older sister...well she didn't die...but left the show...she was kinda hot.

The Original Power Rangers - To think how stupid the show is today and how at one time it used to be decent

Andy Griffith Show - When Flyod the Barber died and I liked Howard...but missed Barney being around.

I'll think of more later

:( :( I watched the Wonder Years..the last eppie said the dad died of a heart attack...I also remember on Good Times when James died and they got "the telegram"..I cried...also M*A*S*H....MANY people died that I got very upset about..DEF..Anthony Edwards on Top Gun and ER...more,,,I cant think of right now

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/17/06 at 10:52 pm

:( :( I watched the Wonder Years..the last eppie said the dad died of a heart attack...I also remember on Good Times when James died and they got "the telegram"..I cried...also M*A*S*H....MANY people died that I got very upset about..DEF..Anthony Edwards on Top Gun and ER...more,,,I cant think of right now

gosh...that last episode of The Wonder Years was depressing!! :\'(

Written By: whistledog on 03/17/06 at 10:54 pm

I didn't want Marie (played by Franka Potente) to die in The Bourne Supremacy  :\'(

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/17/06 at 10:55 pm

It was depressing when Jamie Sullivan died in the movie, "A Walk To Remember". :\'(

Written By: GREEN67 on 03/17/06 at 10:56 pm

gosh...that last episode of The Wonder Years was depressing!! :\'(
:- :( it was depressing...but it had closure..I still miss that show

Written By: whistledog on 03/17/06 at 11:04 pm

It was depressing when Jamie Sullivan died in the movie, "A Walk To Remember". :\'(

That was very sad yes  :\'(

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/18/06 at 3:33 am

If E.T. had die, it would had made it a more interesting film.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/18/06 at 11:41 am

Darth Maul, that should have had him around longer in Episode One.

I didn't really like the way Trinity was killed off in the final Matrix film.

Written By: nikki89 on 03/18/06 at 7:58 pm

Noah and Allie in The Notebook
Caretaker in The Longest Yard
Every character that died in Best Men
Sam in Ghost(even though I realize there wouldn't have been a story if he hadn't died)
Seth Green's character in Knockaround Guys
Matthew Lillard's character in Thirteen Ghosts
Lane in 8 Seconds(even though it's based on a true story)
Mick and Pnub in Idle Hands(even though their deaths allowed some of the best jokes)
Skip in My Dog Skip
Randy in Scream 2
Jerry O'Connell's character in Scream 2
Ed in Shaun of the Dead
Blue in Old School
Bill McNeal on NewRadio(RIP Phil Hartman)
Paul on 8 Simple Rules(RIP John Ritter)
And it looks like Keith on One Tree Hill my be dead, I hope not

Written By: Dominic L. on 03/18/06 at 8:00 pm

Alice- Alice in Wonderland.

Written By: Abix on 03/19/06 at 10:50 pm

Jimmy Smits as Bobby Simone on NYPD Blue (in fact I didn't want this series to die )
Anthony Edwards as Mark Green in ER
Anthony Edwards as Goose in Top Gun
Drea Di Matteo as Adriana in The Sopranos
not sure who played him but Jackie Jr, in The Sopranos
John Coffey in Green Mile
Tom Hanks in Saving Private Ryan
Vin Diesel in Saving Private Ryan
John Wayne in The Cowboys
Dr Romano in ER ( I hated his character but I have to admit it was a great character)
Debra Winger's character in Terms of Endearment (I still cry when I watch this one)
David Keith in  An Officer and A Gentleman

Check for new replies or respond here...