inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Foolish Name List

Written By: danootaandme on 08/21/04 at 11:19 am

There was a show on the names people give there children.
I know a young girl who is quite miffed at her name. "my mother
named me after a soap opera".  So, has anyone out there given
there child a name which they later regretted, or maybe you don't like
your name.  What are the names you really don't like.  Without
meaning to offend, I am glad the Tiffany, Krystal, era is over.

Subject: Re: Foolish Name List

Written By: Marian on 08/21/04 at 3:56 pm

:DI don't like Terry for a girl.It looks like the boys have reclaimed this one.Gabriela is a good name in itself,but Gabby sounds bad to english-speaking ears.

Written By: Powerslave on 08/21/04 at 3:56 pm

Apple.

Written By: Billy Florio on 08/21/04 at 4:50 pm

For all foolish names, you must turn to the children of celebrities....you dont get more foolish than that.....

right Ahmet Zappa?
Right

Written By: Paul on 08/21/04 at 5:46 pm

For all foolish names, you must turn to the children of celebrities....you dont get more foolish than that.....

right Ahmet Zappa?
Right

Right again...!!

A big hello to Zowie Bowie (who I think, rather sensibly, later changed his name...) and Rolan Bolan...

(You should conceivably know who the parents are...!!)

Written By: Sentimentalist on 08/21/04 at 6:12 pm

For stupid names, just look at the names of the kids in the Wal-Mart circular.  Personal favorite stupid names;
Madison
Brooklyn
Dakota
any weird spelling of a regular name especially when people add double consanants after a vowel completely changing the long vowel sound to a short one, like one of my co workers SUSIE Spelled SuZZy  I called her suh z she corrected me, I said that doubling the Zs shortened the U she said "oh no it di'int" 
Giving children weird names is kind of like child abuse!
God lyk!

PS, my niece had a teacher whos last name is Hippe,  when she talked about the teacher she always talked about Mrs Hippe. but it sounds like MISSISSIPPI!

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 08/21/04 at 6:13 pm

right Ahmet Zappa?
Right

Let's not forget his sibling, the interestingly named "Moon Unit"  ;D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/21/04 at 6:39 pm

Let's not forget his sibling, the interestingly named "Moon Unit"  ;D
AND let's not forget Dweezil :o

Written By: AstringOfPoloponie on 08/21/04 at 7:11 pm

I once had a friend named Tomorrow Kitchen.
I hate the last name Fuch...it's just embarrasing to be cursed with that name and comical to see it on a mailbox.I also feel that way about the last name Cochran, sorry, it just must be the world we live in.

I am tired of the Tanika,Toshiba, Lashika, Wanikka type names. I do like names that are unique, however. I knew a Majestic and a Justice once. :)

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/21/04 at 7:26 pm

Phonetic-spelled names  (like Waneeta instead of Juanita)

or names with punctuation in them.  (like Ly'ric Boy)

Written By: Dagwood on 08/21/04 at 8:28 pm

Celebrities shouldn't be allowed to name their children: Coco, Rumer, Scout, Talula

Written By: jaytee on 08/21/04 at 10:51 pm

Phonetic-spelled names  (like Waneeta instead of Juanita)

Yes!  I saw a birth notice in our local paper - parents had called their daughter Mersaydeez (Mercedes) - all I could think was "you poor kid!".

I also can't stand the name "Montana"  which seems to be popular at the moment :P

Written By: AssKicker on 08/22/04 at 4:51 am

I was named after a Simon & Garfunkel song... Emily is not a bad name, but that song really suxx0red. Fortunately my parents also liked "See Emily Play" by the Floyd, so I was partly named after that, which makes up for it! :)

My mum once knew two girls called Rosie Bottom and Annette Curtain. I've never yet met a Juan Kerr, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time... ;D

Written By: danootaandme on 08/22/04 at 6:19 am

Yes!  I saw a birth notice in our local paper - parents had called their daughter Mersaydeez (Mercedes) - all I could think was "you poor kid!".

I also can't stand the name "Montana"  which seems to be popular at the moment :P

Then there is that basketball player Anfernee Hardaway.  Why, at the hospital didn't they say, "um,
It's spelled A-n-t-h-o-n-y"
There is the Olympic Beach Volleyballer Misty May.  To have such a name and go for  a lame
profession of pro volleyball.  :P

Written By: jaytee on 08/22/04 at 6:37 am

Then there is that basketball player Anfernee Hardaway.  Why, at the hospital didn't they say, "um,
There is the Olympic Beach Volleyballer Misty May.  To have such a name and go for  a lame

;D ;D

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/22/04 at 9:40 am

More than just "Anfernee".  There are also "Anfrony"  :P

Written By: Howard on 08/22/04 at 6:44 pm

April
May
June
July
August

Howard

Written By: Bobby on 08/22/04 at 6:46 pm

Anyone mentioned Bob Geldof's poor kids?

Fifi
Trixie-Bell
Peaches

I think there's another . . .

Written By: Powerslave on 08/22/04 at 7:11 pm

Anyone mentioned Bob Geldof's poor kids?

Fifi
Trixie-Bell
Peaches

I think there's another . . .

Tiger Lily, although she is actually Michael Hutchence's kid.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/22/04 at 7:16 pm

I read where somebody named their kids Oranjelo and Lemonjelo because they liked orange jello and lemon jello.  ::)

Written By: Bobby on 08/22/04 at 7:17 pm

I read where somebody named their kids Oranjelo and Lemonjelo because they liked orange jello and lemon jello.   ::)

Lucky the parent didn't like carrots and turnips.

Written By: Bobby on 08/22/04 at 7:18 pm

Tiger Lily, although she is actually Michael Hutchence's kid.

That's the one - Thanks Powerslave.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/22/04 at 7:20 pm

Lucky the parent didn't like carrots and turnips.

Well the guy driving the other car in James Dean's fatal crash was named Ronald Turnipseed.  :-\\

LB

Written By: Bobby on 08/22/04 at 7:41 pm

Well the guy driving the other car in James Dean's fatal crash was named Ronald Turnipseed.   :-\\

LB

Heh heh. Poor bloke. Maybe he should have taken up gardening rather than driving.  ;D

Written By: Koop on 08/22/04 at 9:10 pm

I knew a girl whose first name is Aquanetta.

Written By: Bobby on 08/23/04 at 5:25 am

I had an uncle named Harry Ovary.   We also bought our current home from Doug Graves and his wife, Sharon Graves -- (it gets better) they used to own the local nursing home that's located behind and faces toward the backside of our local cemetary.  Now, there's a happy place to stick Granny, eh?

Wow. An incredible set of names there, MooRocca. Harry Ovary? That's a cool name.  :)

Written By: danootaandme on 08/23/04 at 5:43 am

Another thing I don't understand is people who feel it necessary to use their whole name
like Anthony Michael Hall, Joyce Carol Oates, Haley Joel Osmont.  What is that all about?

Written By: Bobby on 08/23/04 at 6:10 am

Another thing I don't understand is people who feel it necessary to use their whole name
like Anthony Michael Hall, Joyce Carol Oates, Haley Joel Osmont.  What is that all about?

Yeah like Michael J Fox. Is his middle name J?

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/23/04 at 7:12 am

A comedian once did this neet skit about "The Attack of the Three-Named People".  :P

Written By: Dagwood on 08/23/04 at 7:15 am

Big Michael J Fox fan to the rescue.  His middle name actually starts with an A.  When he came to Hollywood there was already a Michael Fox registered with SAG.  He didn't want to use his middle initial because Michael A Fox seemed pretentious, so he picked J.  The J doesn't really stand for anything.

Written By: mrgazpacho on 08/23/04 at 7:57 am

That one's easy. Apparently, when he was starting out in LA, there was already another actor in Equity named Michael Fox. So he added the "J" just to differentiate himself.

Written By: karen on 08/23/04 at 8:07 am

I think the acting unions require you to have a unique name to stop confusion.

Written By: danootaandme on 08/23/04 at 10:38 am

Yeah, but I'm sure they could come up with a two name name.  Bernie Schwartz came up with Tony Curits,
Marion Morrison came up with John Wayne, and Gina Lollobrigida came up with Gina Lollobrigida.

Written By: karen on 08/23/04 at 10:44 am

But perhaps, for example, Antony Micheal Hall's real name is that and somewhere there already was an Antony Hall registered.  Then maybe he decided to use his real name in full.?  That was certainly the case with Paul Michael Glasier.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/23/04 at 12:58 pm

But perhaps, for example, Antony Micheal Hall's real name is that and somewhere there already was an Antony Hall registered.  Then maybe he decided to use his real name in full.?  That was certainly the case with Paul Michael Glasier.

Maybe his real name is Anfernee Michael Hall?  ;D

Written By: Bobby on 08/23/04 at 7:14 pm

There was such a (minor) case in Britain featuring the late Harry Corbett (from Sooty fame) and the late actor (Harold from Steptoe and Son) with the same name, who called himself Harry H Corbett. He said the 'H' stood for 'Hanything'.  ;D

Written By: gemini61 on 08/23/04 at 7:23 pm

There was a lady that came in a store I worked in and her name was Rose Heiny! And that was her married name!! I think I might have kept my maiden name! The things we do for love! ;)  ;D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/23/04 at 8:17 pm

Britney, J. Lo, Puff Daddy-Diddy Gang-Bang, Paris....oh wait...I thought you meant Foolish People!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/23/04 at 8:18 pm

There was a lady that came in a store I worked in and her name was Rose Heiny! And that was her married name!! I think I might have kept my maiden name! The things we do for love! ;)  ;D
;D

Written By: Howard on 08/23/04 at 9:37 pm

Ione Skye

Howard

Written By: blackdog on 08/24/04 at 3:21 am

I know two Sunshine's and a Sky too, although not sure if he spells it Sky or Skye. 

Most of us have a hard time calling Sunshine that - so we usually call her Sunny.   ;)

Written By: Bobby on 08/24/04 at 3:44 am

Big Michael J Fox fan to the rescue.  His middle name actually starts with an A.  When he came to Hollywood there was already a Michael Fox registered with SAG.  He didn't want to use his middle initial because Michael A Fox seemed pretentious, so he picked J.  The J doesn't really stand for anything.

Thanks for the info, Dagwood. Michael A Fox doesn't have the same ring, does it?

Written By: dale smith on 08/24/04 at 11:07 am

I know two Sunshine's and a Sky too, although not sure if he spells it Sky or Skye. 

Most of us have a hard time calling Sunshine that - so we usually call her Sunny.   ;)

you know i guy with the name sky(e)?  although it is a very foolish name i would think you would give a name like that to a girl rather than a guy, but that's just my opinion.

and name's like hope and faith, i'd rather not see.

Written By: karen on 08/24/04 at 11:38 am

Where I lived previously there was Julie Pooley, Jean Dean and Rosie Flowers all living on the same street.

Mind, my married surname is pretty strange.

Written By: Marian on 08/24/04 at 2:27 pm

I hate the last name Fuch...it's just embarrasing to be cursed with that name and comical to see it on a mailbox.I also feel that way about the last name Cochran, sorry, it just must be the world we live in.

I am tired of the Tanika,Toshiba, Lashika, Wanikka type names. I do like names that are unique, however. I knew a Majestic and a Justice once. :)
;) ;) ;)I know how Fuch is correctly pronounced!!! :-[ :-[On a related note,announcers at the Athens Olympics have to refer to runner Muna Lee as Myuna Lee,because the word muna is apparently a Greek obscenity.When an announcer said her name,a man shook his head and gestured toward a part of his body!!! :-[Cheers!

Written By: Marian on 08/25/04 at 1:18 pm

Apple.
I agree! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Powerslave on 08/25/04 at 6:05 pm

you know i guy with the name sky(e)?  although it is a very foolish name i would think you would give a name like that to a girl rather than a guy, but that's just my opinion.

and name's like hope and faith, i'd rather not see.

My daughter's name is Skye. It's not foolish, it's Celtic.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/25/04 at 7:32 pm

I think I have mentioned this on a pervious thread but I know OF a guy (never met him) by the name of Warren Pease.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 08/25/04 at 7:42 pm

Larry David  :o

Howard

Written By: Marian on 08/25/04 at 9:28 pm

Larry David  :o

Howard
???I don't get it.

Written By: danootaandme on 08/26/04 at 9:52 am

My daughter's name is Skye. It's not foolish, it's Celtic.

I always that it a very pretty name, very....ethereal

Larry David is the George Costanza- Curb You Enthusiasm Guy

Written By: onaree on 08/26/04 at 10:43 am

I used to really like looking at "bad baby names."  The profession that I'm in, I see a lot of them, too.  For example, there is a little girl named Crystal Dick.  I'd hate to have that name.  I also went to college with a girl who was named after a radio station in Cincinnati because the doctor was listening to it in the delivery room.  The call letters is her first name, while the numbers is her middle name.  Her name:  Webn 102.7. 

A cool place to go to find more names is www.notwithoutmyhandbag.com and click on the bad baby name section.  Lots of boards there to post on, too. 

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/26/04 at 11:15 am

I used to really like looking at "bad baby names."  The profession that I'm in, I see a lot of them, too.  For example, there is a little girl named Crystal dip.  I'd hate to have that name.  I also went to college with a girl who was named after a radio station in Cincinnati because the doctor was listening to it in the delivery room.  The call letters is her first name, while the numbers is her middle name.  Her name:  Webn 102.7. 

A cool place to go to find more names is www.notwithoutmyhandbag.com and click on the bad baby name section.  Lots of boards there to post on, too.   

There is a race car driver with the name of Díck Trickle.

What on earth were his parents thinking? ???

Written By: Bobby on 08/26/04 at 4:31 pm

That is beautiful!!! LMAO!  ;D  ;D

Written By: Marian on 08/26/04 at 7:43 pm

:o :o :o..although they probably named him Richard,not expecting him to be called dick.Cheers! :-[

Written By: Powerslave on 08/26/04 at 7:46 pm

I thought the subject of this thread was "foolish" names, not necessarily ironic ones. :) I'm sure Mr Tickle's parents weren't thinking their son would call himself "Dick" later in life. :)  I don't think a name like Skye is foolish, it's just unusual. Skye is a real name. Something like "Apple" or "Acorn", however, aren't names. They're just silly.

Written By: Howard on 08/26/04 at 9:28 pm

I was just reading some baby names and Sharmonica came up. ;D

Howard

Written By: danootaandme on 08/28/04 at 1:52 pm

Of course we must speak to Mr. Knowles about naming a beautiful child Beyonce. :o

Written By: Kenlos on 08/28/04 at 4:36 pm

Not just foolish names but foolish initials, like parents who name their kids without thinking about what the intials will be.  For example I knew a guy in high school and his initials were PMS.

Written By: Dagwood on 08/28/04 at 5:23 pm

A cool place to go to find more names is www.notwithoutmyhandbag.com and click on the bad baby name section. Lots of boards there to post on, too.

Fun site.  Thanks for the link, Onaree. :)

Written By: Indy Gent on 08/29/04 at 4:47 pm

There was a guy that worked in my building (don't know him personally) who has the name Simon Legree, after the slave owner in the book "Uncle Tom's Cabin". I bet he'll never live that down.

Misty May would make a better stripper name than a volleyball player. :D

People that have the same last name as first name. For example, Lance Lance, Bradford Bradford, Seborra Seborra, Etc. Etc.

The actress ZaZu Pitts, can you believe that was her stage name? And Sigourney Weaver changed her name from Susan. :o

There was a funny SNL sketch the Phil Hartman-Dana Carvey era with Nicholas Cage, playing a expectant father who didn't want to name his baby normal names because the other kids might pick on the kid when he grew up. At the end, a telegram delivery guy goes "Dear A**wipe and Emily" and Cage corrects him that it's pronounced "As-wee-pay". ;D 

Written By: danootaandme on 08/30/04 at 5:57 am

There was a guy that worked in my building (don't know him personally) who has the name Simon Legree, after the slave owner in the book "Uncle Tom's Cabin". I bet he'll never live that down.

Misty May would make a better stripper name than a volleyball player. :D

People that have the same last name as first name. For example, Lance Lance, Bradford Bradford, Seborra Seborra, Etc. Etc.

The actress ZaZu Pitts, can you believe that was her stage name? And Sigourney Weaver changed her name from Susan. :o

There was a funny SNL sketch the Phil Hartman-Dana Carvey era with Nicholas Cage, playing a expectant father who didn't want to name his baby normal names because the other kids might pick on the kid when he grew up. At the end, a telegram delivery guy goes "Dear A**wipe and Emily" and Cage corrects him that it's pronounced "As-wee-pay". ;D 

Zasu Pitts real name was Zasu Pitts.  She had two aunts Eliza and Susan, and each wanted the baby named after her so they squashed the names together and got Zasu. I'm a bit of a fan and always kinda liked the name, though I never would have named anychild of mine Zasu, it is cute for a dog.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/30/04 at 6:22 pm

How about twins named Ester Polly and Polly Ester. You may know them better as Ann Landers and Abigale Van Buren (AKA Dear Abby). Have no idea which one's which.

Cat

Written By: AssKicker on 08/31/04 at 12:57 am

I like the name Cochran... reminds me of Zephram Cochrane. Maj'Qa! Vulcan-salutes all round! :)

Written By: AssKicker on 08/31/04 at 1:01 am

There's a girl called Storm in my French and Modern Studies classes.

Written By: Indy Gent on 08/31/04 at 10:14 am

Speaking of teacher names, teachers that had weird names included Ms. Rababa, Mr. Adolph Kerber, Mr. Faburn DeFrantz (the vice principal), Mr. Urbain, Mr. Fishback, and Mr. Slaybaugh. And another one spelled his name like Robert Gillaume, but pronounce it "Gilliam".
My sister thought the name Oglethorpe was amusiing. (As in Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia)

I always wanted to name my first born son Andrew Scott and always said I could never marry a guy whose last name started with "S" because his initials would be A.S.S.

As far as foolish names, my English Comp teacher in college had no vowels in her name...not even a "Y"  I can't remember now how to spell it now as it's been 15 years....

Written By: Marian on 08/31/04 at 2:23 pm

How about twins named Ester Polly and Polly Ester. You may know them better as Ann Landers and Abigale Van Buren (AKA Dear Abby). Have no idea which one's which.

Cat
;D ;DActually it was Pauline Esther(Ann Landers)and Esther Pauline(Dear abby)Cheers1

Written By: rubixgirl on 08/31/04 at 2:31 pm

My mom named me after her name from when she was a nun. Its alright, but all through high school through today I go by a name my friends gave me in high school.

Written By: danootaandme on 08/31/04 at 2:54 pm

I had a teacher whose last name was Helwig.  She was a student teacher and by the time
we got done with her it suited her. ::)

Written By: mrgazpacho on 08/31/04 at 9:35 pm

My mom named me after her name from when she was a nun.

Hopefully she didn't take a male saint's name...

Written By: rubixgirl on 09/01/04 at 8:23 am

Hopefully she didn't take a male saint's name...
No.  ;D It was a female's name.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/01/04 at 12:15 pm

My mom named me after her name from when she was a nun. Its alright, but all through high school through today I go by a name my friends gave me in high school.

Sister Mary Elephant?

(from an old Cheech and Chong skit)...

;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/01/04 at 12:44 pm

;D ;DActually it was Pauline Esther(Ann Landers)and Esther Pauline(Dear abby)Cheers1

Thanks for correcting me on that. I still think that Polly Esther sounds...well...something out of the 70s  ;)

Cat

Written By: rubixgirl on 09/01/04 at 1:41 pm

Sister Mary Elephant?

(from an old Cheech and Chong skit)...

;D
lol...no Sister Bernadette Therese, AND my last name started w/ an "S" , so my initials were B.S.  :D

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/02/04 at 9:13 am

Hubby's grandma was Queen Elizabeth King before she got married ;)  Also, his bio. father named all of his sons (2 that we know of, but suspect 2 others) after himself.  My hubby is the II (instead of Jr. as he thought he would carry on the legacy, which we didn't), the next is the Hebrew version of his name.

I've never been very big on parents naming kids after themselves.  Seems to me to be narcissistic.  :-\\

Written By: danootaandme on 09/02/04 at 9:27 am

I've never been very big on parents naming kids after themselves.  Seems to me to be narcissistic.  :-

I'm with you on that. I know at least two he insisted they weren't going to name their sons after themselves
then when the boys were born, they did and said, "when he came out he looked just like me!".  Lame.
I don't know when they looked in a mirror last because the rest of the world is definitely not seeing what
they see. :D

Written By: Howard on 09/02/04 at 8:38 pm

There was a group named "Hope Faith and Charity" with their 1976 song To Each His Own.

Howard

Written By: joedeertae on 09/02/04 at 8:58 pm

I knew two girls named Stormy in high school, another girl named January Sunshine and a couple of years ago I went hunting with a guy who was an avid outdoors kind of guy whos kids were named... wait for it... this is not a joke...

Hunter and Fisher, not sure how he got that one past the little woman but I know it wouldn't fly at my home.

J.Dirt 8)

Written By: blackdog on 09/02/04 at 9:29 pm

My vet's assistant is named Leather.  She's the only one I know, never heard of that before.  ???

But it kind of fit's her.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/03/04 at 8:50 am

I once met a furnace guy, you know how dirty they get, his name was Diamond.  I guess it was
diamond in the rough.  When you got to know hm his personality fit his name. :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/03/04 at 11:18 am

I've never been very big on parents naming kids after themselves.  Seems to me to be narcissistic.  :-\\

Sometimes it is a family tradition. My hubby is the IV and his son is the V. Also in my family, my dad is Sr., my brother is Jr., and my nephew is the III. It was a little confusing at our wedding when we had three going by one name and three going by another.

Cat

Written By: NullandVoid on 09/04/04 at 7:54 pm

Oh i hear you on that one.(Toshiba..ha ha ) I also hate it when people name their poor children after liquor. If I see one more baby named MOET or ALIZE I'm gonna start a petition.

btw, luv ur screen name, it made me laugh. You got it from the Honeymooner's right? I luuuv that show.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/04/04 at 8:47 pm

My vet's assistant is named Leather.  She's the only one I know, never heard of that before.  ???

Remember Leather Tuscadero on Happy Days?  ;)

Written By: joedeertae on 09/05/04 at 12:30 am

Remember Leather Tuscadero on Happy Days?  ;)

Wasn't that Pinky's little sister?

J.Dirt 8)

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/06/04 at 7:15 pm

There was an article in one of hubby's magazines a little while ago (or maybe it was Sports Illustrated) about the kids named after ESPN...yes, THAT ESPN.  Talk about stupidity ::)

Yeah, and their kid will then be named ESPN 2.

Cinemax would be a cool name for a kid though.  Call him Max for short.  ;)

;D

Written By: Bobby on 09/06/04 at 7:24 pm

Cinemax would be a cool name for a kid though.  Call him Max for short.  ;)

;D

People will ask 'Cinemax about' (Seen Max about?)  ;D

Written By: mrgazpacho on 09/06/04 at 11:53 pm

My vet's assistant is named Leather. She's the only one I know, never heard of that before. ???

You mean... she skins her patients and turns them into shoes?! :D

Written By: maddog on 09/07/04 at 10:04 am

Could her name have been be inspired by Leather Tuscadero, Fonzie's girlfriend in "Happy Days", played by Suzi Quatro?

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/07/04 at 5:58 pm

Could her name have been be inspired by Leather Tuscadero, Fonzie's girlfriend in "Happy Days", played by Suzi Quatro?
Leather was never his girlfriend, but the sister of Pinkie who was ;)

Written By: Howard on 09/07/04 at 8:42 pm

Moesha

Howard

Written By: Marian on 09/20/04 at 8:28 pm

Leather was never his girlfriend, but the sister of Pinkie who was ;)
:oI didn't think Pinkie was all that hot. :-\\

Written By: blackdog on 09/27/04 at 11:16 pm

Maybe.... she's about the same age. She's in her 30's now. I'll have to ask her.  So, now I guess she's the second leather I know or heard of. 

Written By: blackdog on 09/27/04 at 11:21 pm

You mean... she skins her patients and turns them into shoes?! :D

I hope not.... I better not get on her bad side either I don't want to pick up my cat one of these days and find she's got a serious haircut!   Or I don't want to see Samantha looking like big furry orange slippers    ;D :\'(

Written By: Jared on 09/27/04 at 11:46 pm

Dolores- That name faded away in 1947!
Rene for a guy- Way too feminine
Angel for a guy- same here
I knew a girl named "Kristle", but thought her name looked pretty cool.
I also knew a girl named Salpi Ajoyan......and she was white! (I called her Sal, most people did)
Xena- Too much joke potential, and I always picture Lucy Lawless.  And, i prefer it spelled "Xina" anyways  (sorry PowerSlave!)
City names-Paris, Dallas, Orlando, etc.
"Nichole"-lose the H people!
Mary Jane-Makes me thing of Mrs. Spider-Man,a nd also makes a gurl seem way too squeaky-clean
And while this isn't a stupid name,Ii much prefer "Sara" to "Sarah"

Written By: AngeliK on 09/28/04 at 8:48 am

well I'm a big fan of pretentious silly sounding names and i've had the same four names as my favourites since i was eleven:

Skyla Clarice

Evelyn

Raine

Elijah

(lord help it when I have Kids!!!)

Written By: Marian on 09/28/04 at 1:42 pm

Dolores- That name faded away in 1947!
Rene for a guy- Way too feminine
Angel for a guy- same here
I knew a girl named "Kristle", but thought her name looked pretty cool.
I also knew a girl named Salpi Ajoyan......and she was white! (I called her Sal, most people did)
Xena- Too much joke potential, and I always picture Lucy Lawless.  And, i prefer it spelled "Xina" anyways  (sorry PowerSlave!)
City names-Paris, Dallas, Orlando, etc.
Mary Jane-Makes me thing of Mrs. Spider-Man,a nd also makes a gurl seem way too squeaky-clean
And while this isn't a stupid name,Ii much prefer "Sara" to "Sarah"

;D :D :D ;)We'',Mary Jane is also a song by the Everly brothers,so maybe an Everly fan might use it.And Angel,for a boy,is usually used by Hispanics and is pronounced AHN-hel.Cheers!

Written By: Kenlos on 09/28/04 at 2:38 pm

Anyone who names the kids after baseball stadiums.  Chipper Jones just named his newest born son "Shea" after Shea Stadium.  Not that Shea is really bad name it just were he got the name from.

Written By: elefanten on 09/28/04 at 2:49 pm

Rene is a very normal guy name is denmark, same with Kim

Written By: Marian on 09/28/04 at 8:49 pm

Rene is a very normal guy name is denmark, same with Kim
;)as well as in Korea!Cheers!

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/29/04 at 10:28 am

I know of someone I use to work with who's name was spelled like Nichole, and she gets a little testy when someone tries to tell her how to spell her daughter's name. I guess most parents do. ;)

Written By: MLB on 09/29/04 at 7:52 pm

my mother's friend named the kid BrookLynn. Not funny really.
    My friend's cousin or something named her new baby Annalease.  The name's perfectly good but that's some downhome spelling if you ask me! And it reminds me of borrowing a Uhaul truck for moving! At least I hope they are pronouncing it "lease".

Written By: elefanten on 09/30/04 at 12:29 pm

One of my freinds is named Jakob

Written By: mrgazpacho on 09/30/04 at 8:02 pm

Well, Jakob Nielsen in a very famous computer scientest, but then again he's Danish.

Written By: karen on 10/01/04 at 4:57 am

I am repeatedly asked how to spell my name.  I could not conceive of anyother way to spell it but....

My Brown Owl would always spell it Karin so all my certificates have my name wrong  ::)

And then Caron Keating came on the telly.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 10/01/04 at 8:47 am

Yeah, I used to work with a girl who spelled her son's Jakub.  I guess I just prefer "common" spellings of names.

I had to call today to schedule appointments for the kids and they asked me how to spell "Ethan" and "Logan" (both of which I've never seen any other spelling) ::)

Cheer, that's not a reflection on you, that is the same problem as people who won't add change without a cash register/calculator.  They don't wanna put any thought into it.  ::)

Written By: jaytee on 10/01/04 at 9:14 am

A friend of mine had an unusual surname and when she married she became a "Smith".  The first time she phoned to order a takeaway meal they asked her for her name and she replied "Smith" (thinking how easy is this) and the guy on the other end of phone says "is that one 'f' or two"!!  Sometimes you just can't win.

Written By: karen on 10/01/04 at 11:12 am

A friend of mine had an unusual surname and when she married she became a "Smith".  The first time she phoned to order a takeaway meal they asked her for her name and she replied "Smith" (thinking how easy is this) and the guy on the other end of phone says "is that one 'f' or two"!!  Sometimes you just can't win.

that's spelt t-h-i-c-k-o !

Written By: kimmers on 10/01/04 at 12:47 pm

I think I had posted this once before on another thread but here it is again.

Back in the early 80's (84?) a couple in El Paso, TX named their son:

Zippety Doo Daub -Daub being their last name.
Is that sad or what?

Written By: blackdog on 10/01/04 at 8:46 pm

I think I had posted this once before on another thread but here it is again.

Back in the early 80's (84?) a couple in El Paso, TX named their son:

Zippety Doo Daub -Daub being their last name.
Is that sad or what?

That's really pathetic. That poor kid.  What were they on when they decided on that?  That name's up there with Peek-a-boo (as in Street)

Written By: Indy Gent on 10/03/04 at 12:21 am

As in famous Olympic skiier Picabo Street? She making a bunch of money on her name. 8)
I will tell you: Samoans really give their athletic kids really weird names like: Joe Pao Pao, Manu and Navy Tuisosopo, Samoa Samoa, and Jack Thompson.  ???

That's really pathetic. That poor kid.  What were they on when they decided on that?  That name's up there with Peek-a-boo (as in Street)

Written By: elefanten on 10/03/04 at 11:47 am

Well, Jakob Nielsen in a very famous computer scientest, but then again he's Danish.

What's wrong with being danish?

Written By: mrgazpacho on 10/03/04 at 11:32 pm

Nothing - that's why "Jakob" (as oppsed to "Jacob") seems perfectly natural :)

Written By: joedeertae on 10/04/04 at 5:48 am

I have never paid much attention to people asking how to spell a name until this thread, so I'm not sure how often it has happened but Saturday a lady asked of spelling my son Tommy's name "Is that with a Y?" Uuhhhh yeah... That's with a Y. ::)

Written By: Mona on 10/13/04 at 2:55 pm

I knew a lady named Happy once.  That was bad enough, but she actually married a guy whose last name was Hooker.  I swear I would have made him take my last name or changed my first name or something!!

Written By: just_a_girl on 10/13/04 at 7:29 pm

gwenyth partrol (is that how you spell it?) naming her kid Apple.

Written By: Indy Gent on 10/13/04 at 7:37 pm

That reminds me of a lady of Korean heritage whose name was Kum Suk (pronounced coom sook) who called in the Bob and Tom show. She claimed she married a guy whose last name was Cox. :o

I knew a lady named Happy once.  That was bad enough, but she actually married a guy whose last name was Hooker.  I swear I would have made him take my last name or changed my first name or something!!

Written By: Michelle on 10/14/04 at 3:13 pm

As much as I hate to admit it, I was named after Michelle on Full House. I was my sister's idea  >:(
I used to have a math teacher named Harold Doeck (it was german and the oeck was pronouced ick) so we all called him Harry Doeck... heh heh.

Written By: Mona on 10/14/04 at 3:45 pm

As much as I hate to admit it, I was named after Michelle on Full House. I was my sister's idea  >:(
I used to have a math teacher named Harold Doeck (it was german and the oeck was pronouced ick) so we all called him Harry Doeck... heh heh.

;D  That reminds me, I used to work with a guy named Richard Head.  They would page him over the loud speaker...dip Head, please come to the office. 

Written By: Mona on 10/14/04 at 3:47 pm

^ OK I keep typing name that is short for Richard, but it keeps changing it to dip.

Written By: Howard on 10/14/04 at 6:29 pm

^ OK I keep typing name that is short for Richard, but it keeps changing it to dip.

I guess the computer thinks D*CK is a curse word so that's why it changes to dip. ???

Howard

Written By: Marian on 10/15/04 at 2:20 pm

I guess the computer thinks D*CK is a curse word so that's why it changes to dip. ???

Howard
like Dick van Dyke? ;)

Written By: Howard on 10/15/04 at 7:45 pm

like dip van ****? ;)

I don't get it. ???

Howard

Written By: alwayssearching on 10/15/04 at 11:11 pm

How about George Foreman naming all 5 of his boys George and two of five girls a version of George?

George, Georgetta, George Jr., George III, George IV, George V, George VI

That's........just wrong. :-\\

Written By: Mona on 10/16/04 at 8:35 am

I don't get it. ???

Howard

Took me awhile, too.  D*ck Van D-y-k-e.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/16/04 at 9:23 am

I have never paid much attention to people asking how to spell a name until this thread, so I'm not sure how often it has happened but Saturday a lady asked of spelling my son Tommy's name "Is that with a Y?" Uuhhhh yeah... That's with a Y. ::)

There are some who think they are fancy pants and spell it Tommie ;)

Written By: Howard on 10/16/04 at 7:48 pm

Took me awhile, too.  D*ck Van D-y-k-e.

Oh Ok Mona.Now I get it.Thanks. ;D

Howard

Written By: Marian on 10/17/04 at 9:43 pm

I don't get it. ???

Howard
D*ick van D*yke

Written By: blackdog on 10/18/04 at 4:07 am

My co-worker's niece is named Sunshine (I guess that's not too surprising?)  but she was actually born near a river and so her parents named her  Sunshine On the Noyo River.  They actually gave her the last name "On the Noyo River"

What a mouthful - Lol!    That is one of the oddest names I've heard.... strange people and the poor kid having to go through life with that name.  ???    :o

Written By: blackdog on 10/19/04 at 1:40 am

Here's another one.... Wink Dinkerson!  I was just looking through classmates.com for some old High School friends and saw his name listed.  Forgot all about him till I saw his name.   ;)

Wasn't there a game show host back in the 70's with a name like his?    ???

Written By: Marian on 10/19/04 at 3:42 pm

Here's another one.... Wink Dinkerson!  I was just looking through classmates.com for some old High School friends and saw his name listed.  Forgot all about him till I saw his name.   ;)

Wasn't there a game show host back in the 70's with a name like his?    ???
;)Wink Martindale.Also recorded Deck of Cards.Cheers!

Written By: Indy Gent on 10/19/04 at 4:58 pm

Ironically hosted "Gambit" and "Card Sharks".

Written By: blackdog on 10/19/04 at 10:22 pm

After this one I think I may be tapped out of odd names - I have a co-worker who's name is May Gray.  She just got married and kept her maiden name too.... so now she's May Gray-Shenay.   

Written By: blackdog on 10/19/04 at 10:25 pm

Ironically hosted "Gambit" and "Card Sharks".

Thx. Marian & Indy!   I knew it was something like Wink something or other.

Written By: Mona on 10/22/04 at 6:47 am

Are you talking about the song "Deck of Cards"?  That was him?? wow!

Written By: joedeertae on 10/22/04 at 7:18 am

One of my room mates back in my school daze :D had a grandmother who's name was Mary Lou Isa Maheela Bishop Gertrude Blanch :o (that's a lotta name)
She said that was what was actually on her birth certificate.

Written By: Marian on 10/22/04 at 7:45 pm

Are you talking about the song "Deck of Cards"?  That was him?? wow!
8) 8)Da!!!Cheers!

Check for new replies or respond here...