inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Just when I thought it would never happen...

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 08/31/04 at 12:39 pm

I got my first wisdom tooth! I had a toothache over the weekend so I made an appointment with my dentist. It was a wisdom tooth coming in. It hadn't quite poked through yet, but he removed it because it was hurting. I'm in even more pain now!!! And my mouth is bleeding. Great fun. I can't wait for all of this to stop because I'm getting hungry! :\'(

Anyway, I thought this happened to younger people, and since I'm in my 30's, I thought I wouldn't get them. But I did! CRAP! OW! :(

Absolutely (Painful and) Vile

Subject: Re: Just when I thought it would never happen...

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 08/31/04 at 12:45 pm

I'm sorry to hear that you're in pain, AV.  I had a wisdom tooth pulled about 3 years ago, so I can relate to what you're going through.  It will get better, but in the meantime, keep those pain killers nearby!

Written By: Paul on 08/31/04 at 1:38 pm

Nasty one, AV...I can also relate as two of mine were removed late in life (mind you, that was a hospital job - the dentist wouldn't touch 'em...!)

You'll soon get fed up of soup, I can assure you...!!

All the best - things will get better shortly...

Written By: rubixgirl on 08/31/04 at 1:50 pm

Owie! AV! I can relate too. I had one removed a few years ago (it was my one and only) and they didn't numb it all the way and they had to cut into the gum to get the tooth b/c it was giving me pain. So my heart goes out to you.  :-\\

Written By: Marian on 08/31/04 at 2:21 pm

I got my first wisdom tooth! I had a toothache over the weekend so I made an appointment with my dentist. It was a wisdom tooth coming in. It hadn't quite poked through yet, but he removed it because it was hurting. I'm in even more pain now!!! And my mouth is bleeding. Great fun. I can't wait for all of this to stop because I'm getting hungry! :\'(

Anyway, I thought this happened to younger people, and since I'm in my 30's, I thought I wouldn't get them. But I did! CRAP! OW! :(

Absolutely (Painful and) Vile
:DI've had them removed too.Those things can grow at an time.You don't have to have just soup,you can have fruit smoothies and ice cream too.But it's good to know you're hungry because sometimes you can get nauseated from anesthetics.Get well soon!Cheers!

Written By: Jessica on 08/31/04 at 2:30 pm

That sucks, AV. I know how you feel. I had two removed a few years ago and I have another growing in, but I can't do anything about it at the moment. :P

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 08/31/04 at 2:51 pm

Owie! AV! I can relate too. I had one removed a few years ago (it was my one and only) and they didn't numb it all the way and they had to cut into the gum to get the tooth b/c it was giving me pain. So my heart goes out to you.  :-\\

That's exactly what had to be done in my case! But, surprisingly enough, it wasn't as painful as I thought it would be. A lot less painful than I remembered it being about 20 years ago when I last had work done! Well, Rush is at work, so maybe I can call my mum and ask her to bring me some ice cream. I don't want to go out with gauze stuffed in my mouth! :P

By the way, off topic...does anyone know how to adjust picture sizes in HTML? Just wondering. :)

Absolutely Vile

Written By: Fred on 08/31/04 at 2:55 pm

Mine are coming in, last time I had an X-Ray, they were growing under the bone, or some weird thing, so they'll have to be removed.  >:(

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 08/31/04 at 2:57 pm

Thanks for your words of support and encouragement, guys! :) I think the bleeding is slowing down, but as I said, I'm still stuffing gauze in my mouth, and I still haven't had anything to eat or drink (except water to spit out excess blood). The pain is bearable at the moment, but I've got plenty of Ibuprofen just in case! :) I'll be fine soon. Wish me luck, though, because I've got to go back in a week for more torture! A filling!!! :o

Absolutely Vile

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/31/04 at 3:01 pm

I had three removed under general anistesia (however it is spelled). I won't go into the gory details of everything because I don't want to scare you. I will just say that I hope you are feeling better soon.

Cat

Written By: nally on 08/31/04 at 3:16 pm

Hey, Ms. Vile, sorry to hear that. :( I used to have wisdom teeth, but not anymore. Four years ago my dentist examined me and saw that they were growing in kinda crooked, so I had all four of them surgically removed. To make a long story short, I healed up in a few days.

Written By: Bobby on 08/31/04 at 4:33 pm

Thanks for your words of support and encouragement, guys! :) I think the bleeding is slowing down, but as I said, I'm still stuffing gauze in my mouth, and I still haven't had anything to eat or drink (except water to spit out excess blood). The pain is bearable at the moment, but I've got plenty of Ibuprofen just in case! :) I'll be fine soon. Wish me luck, though, because I've got to go back in a week for more torture! A filling!!! :o

Absolutely Vile

You know how much I can relate to this Vile (last year I had 4 wisdom teeth out!  :o). The gauze leaves a horrible feeling in the mouth but I am glad the bleeding is slowing down for you. Did you get your gums frozen? This is what I got caught out on, see when the anaesthetic wears off, that is when you really will feel the pain so you'll need the ibuprofen for the next week. Did you have disolvable or undisolvable stitches? If undisolvable, you will probably feel the relief when the stitches have been taken out.

Get well soon.  ;)

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 08/31/04 at 5:04 pm

You know how much I can relate to this Vile (last year I had 4 wisdom teeth out!  :o). The gauze leaves a horrible feeling in the mouth but I am glad the bleeding is slowing down for you. Did you get your gums frozen? This is what I got caught out on, see when the anaesthetic wears off, that is when you really will feel the pain so you'll need the ibuprofen for the next week. Did you have disolvable or undisolvable stitches? If undisolvable, you will probably feel the relief when the stitches have been taken out.

Get well soon.  ;)

Yes, my gums were frozen. In fact, they were frozen (well, numbed) before they were frozen. A new thing for me. They put this pink stuff on your gums with a cotton swab before they stick you with the needle. And I was feeling pain before the anaesthetic completely wore off! Er...stitches? OK maybe he didn't cut my gums open. I'm not sure exactly what he did, but something twisted it out. No stitches involved. I think the bleeding has stopped now. I'm not tasting blood anymore. Stil in pain though, so the Ibuprofen will come in handy if I can't bear the pain anymore. (Right now, I can live with it.) ;)

Absolutely Vile

Written By: Howard on 08/31/04 at 5:23 pm

I remember when I was told that I needed to have a few teeth taken out and they drugged me so they can put in my new braces in 1985 cause I sucked my thumb for about 10 years.But I know how it feels to not eat hard food and just stick to soft foods instead. :P

Howard

Written By: Bobby on 08/31/04 at 6:34 pm

Yes, my gums were frozen. In fact, they were frozen (well, numbed) before they were frozen. A new thing for me. They put this pink stuff on your gums with a cotton swab before they stick you with the needle. And I was feeling pain before the anaesthetic completely wore off! Er...stitches? OK maybe he didn't cut my gums open. I'm not sure exactly what he did, but something twisted it out. No stitches involved. I think the bleeding has stopped now. I'm not tasting blood anymore. Stil in pain though, so the Ibuprofen will come in handy if I can't bear the pain anymore. (Right now, I can live with it.) ;)

Absolutely Vile

He didn't give you stitches? It probably wasn't that bad then. I had stitches to sew the hole in my gum up but that may be because my wisdom tooth was that stuck fast in the gum, he had to break the tooth. He took them out a week later.

Written By: Howard on 08/31/04 at 6:35 pm

Feel Better AV!  :)

Howard

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 08/31/04 at 6:41 pm

He didn't give you stitches? It probably wasn't that bad then. I had stitches to sew the hole in my gum up but that may be because my wisdom tooth was that stuck fast in the gum, he had to break the tooth. He took them out a week later.

I guess it wasn't (that bad). Didn't take that long either. I'm glad I didn't go through what you went through though! You'd probably be able to hear the screams for miles!!! :o

Ow. Ibuprofen time...

Absolutely Vile

Written By: Sentimentalist on 08/31/04 at 7:40 pm

Glad I got mine out under a hypnotic.  (anesthesia)  However, mine were cut out and I came to and heard the little saw and saw the surgeon at work, I remember him saying, "Give him some more" and poof out I went.  Afterward I had a DQ shake dripping down my neck  (My mouth and neck were quite numb)  I adapted though, I chewed with my incisors and bicuspids and just held my hand over my mouth whilst eating.  The guys, while I was in boot camp, got their wisdoms removed under only local anesthesia.  As I said I am glad mine were already out.
God lyk!

Written By: Bobby on 08/31/04 at 7:41 pm

I guess it wasn't (that bad). Didn't take that long either. I'm glad I didn't go through what you went through though! You'd probably be able to hear the screams for miles!!! :o

Ow. Ibuprofen time...

You wouldn't be able to scream that much, Vile. I had this big 'jack' that propped my mouth open, the best I could do was let out a small 'ah!'

Anyway, get those Ibuprofen down your neck before your dad comes .

Written By: Bobby on 08/31/04 at 7:44 pm

Glad I got mine out under a hypnotic.  (anesthesia)  However, mine were cut out and I came to and heard the little saw and saw the surgeon at work, I remember him saying, "Give him some more" and poof out I went.  Afterward I had a DQ shake dripping down my neck  (My mouth and neck were quite numb)  I adapted though, I chewed with my incisors and bicuspids and just held my hand over my mouth whilst eating.  The guys, while I was in boot camp, got their wisdoms removed under only local anesthesia.  As I said I am glad mine were already out.
God lyk!

I could only use local anaesthetic because the dentist couldn't find a prominent vein in my arm despite several attempts. I saw the dentist with his pliers pulling my teeth out! I still get reoccurring nightmares.  ;)  ;D

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 08/31/04 at 7:47 pm

You wouldn't be able to scream that much, Vile. I had this big 'jack' that propped my mouth open, the best I could do was let out a small 'ah!'

Anyway, get those Ibuprofen down your neck before your dad comes .

Ugh...that would not be pleasant!!! :o I guess I'll just be lucky that my experience was relatively painless (at least until the freezing wore off!)

Hehehe...yes, I took an Ibuprofen tablet, and my mouth feels fine now. I should probably try and eat something. :)

Absolutely Vile

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 08/31/04 at 7:48 pm

I could only use local anaesthetic because the dentist couldn't find a prominent vein in my arm despite several attempts. I saw the dentist with his pliers pulling my teeth out! I still get reoccurring nightmares.  ;)  ;D

What about nitrous oxide? (Good old laughing gas!!) :D

Absolutely Vile

Written By: nally on 08/31/04 at 10:56 pm

Ow. Ibuprofen time...

Absolutely Vile

I didn't go through that either. My surgery went just fine; nothing really bad happened. My mom was home with me that day, so she could take me to the hospital and back home. (The operation was done at 10:00 in the morning and lasted less than an hour, b.t.w.) I drank milkshakes for lunch and dinner; every so often I had to replace the gauze in my mouth. By the next day, I started to eat regular foods again, but little by little. Two days after that, I was pretty much back to normal. :)

Written By: Bobby on 09/01/04 at 4:51 am

Yes, that would keep your mouth open.  ;D

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/01/04 at 7:40 am

Hope you are feeling better today, AV.  :)

I had my wisdom teeth taken out (4 of 'em) under general anæsthesia and it was no fun.

LB

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 09/01/04 at 8:54 am

Yes, that would keep your mouth open.  ;D

You also wouldn't be feeling any pain!! ;D

Hope you are feeling better today, AV. :)

I had my wisdom teeth taken out (4 of 'em) under general anæsthesia and it was no fun.

LB

Today, it's still painful, so no solid food yet, I don't think. I think the pain is slowly going away so hopefully I'll be back to normal in a couple of days.

I don't know if I have the rest of my wisdom teeth in. He never told me. But if they are in, they obviously grew in normally because they're not bothering me.

I want FOOD!!! :(

Absolutely Vile

Written By: rubixgirl on 09/01/04 at 9:49 am

Oh, poor AV.  :-\\ Sorry to hear you're still feeling bad. Hope you feel well soon.  :)

Written By: Jessica on 09/01/04 at 1:03 pm

A  horror story for all of you:

When my sister was very young (about 7 years old) some sadistic b*stard of a dentist pulled out 8 of her teeth, four of which were her wisdom teeth. Seeing as how those weren't even popped out, you know he had to cut them out of her gums. My mom was p*ssed beyond belief for several reasons 1. Because my sister was so young 2. Because the so called "dentist" was only supposed to pull out two of her teeth and 3. Because the d*ck dentist traumatized my sister for life. The poor kid REFUSED to see a dentist unless they gave her laughing gas. My mom took her revenge on this dentist by refusing to pay him (over $2000) and threatening him with a lawsuit. She also told everyone she knew to make sure they didn't go to this dentist. :P

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 09/01/04 at 1:22 pm

When my sister was very young (about 7 years old) some sadistic b*stard of a dentist pulled out 8 of her teeth, four of which were her wisdom teeth. Seeing as how those weren't even popped out, you know he had to cut them out of her gums. My mom was p*ssed beyond belief for several reasons 1. Because my sister was so young 2. Because the so called "dentist" was only supposed to pull out two of her teeth and 3. Because the d*ck dentist traumatized my sister for life. The poor kid REFUSED to see a dentist unless they gave her laughing gas. My mom took her revenge on this dentist by refusing to pay him (over $2000) and threatening him with a lawsuit. She also told everyone she knew to make sure they didn't go to this dentist. :P

Rush has had a similar experience. When he was living in England (and this is no comment on the British dental system or British dentists I assure you), he must have had the "dentist from hell" because he, too, refused to go unless he got the nitrous. Well, he came here and, suddenly last year, problems arose and he had to go. I had to drag him kicking and screaming (OK, an overstatement, but not far off!) to the dentist for his first visit in 13 years. The dentist he saw here even commented on his previous dentist's shoddy work. Rush is still deathly afraid of them, but he's a lot calmer than he was at the beginning!!! :)

Absolutely Vile

Written By: Bobby on 09/01/04 at 6:50 pm

That is well severe, Jessica. Do you still hear from the dentist demanding his money?

Written By: Dagwood on 09/01/04 at 7:57 pm

I also had all 4 of mine out, but they were already through so they were just plain, old, take the pliers and pull em out type of things. All I had was novocaine. I think my jaw hurt more from being pried open into an unnatural position than the teeth actually being extracted. ;D

Same here.  I had all four taken out at the same appt.  He gave me pain pills, but I didn't need them after a couple of days.  The day of the appt I was a little queasy, but other than that no problems.

Good luck, AV.

Written By: Jessica on 09/01/04 at 9:01 pm

That is well severe, Jessica. Do you still hear from the dentist demanding his money?

Not after the word "lawsuit" was used. ;D

Written By: Howard on 09/01/04 at 9:15 pm

How is your mouth today Vile?  :)

Howard

Written By: Howard on 09/01/04 at 9:17 pm

Absolutely Vile

Why would you want that?  ;D

Howard

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 09/01/04 at 9:21 pm

How is your mouth today Vile?  :)

Howard

I CAN EAT!!!!!!! I am virtually pain-free!!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!!! It only really hurts a bit now when I stretch my mouth to smile or yawn. Other than that, I tried eating normal food (Pringles), and no pain!! I'm so happy things are normal! Let's hope I don't have to go through this again. :)

Absolutely Vile

Written By: Howard on 09/01/04 at 9:25 pm

I CAN EAT!!!!!!! I am virtually pain-free!!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!!! It only really hurts a bit now when I stretch my mouth to smile or yawn. Other than that, I tried eating normal food (Pringles), and no pain!! I'm so happy things are normal! Let's hope I don't have to go through this again. :)

Absolutely Vile

That is certainly good news Vile. :)

Howard

Written By: Bobby on 09/02/04 at 5:32 am

Absolutely Vile

Wa-hay! Great news, Vile!!!  :D

Written By: rubixgirl on 09/02/04 at 8:42 am

Good to hear AV~  :)

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 09/02/04 at 10:30 am

AV, a word of advice, make sure to keep the "pockets" where the teeth were clean.  Rinse with warm water after eating (or if he gave you a syringe to clean it out, use that) as getting food stuck back there is NOT a very good idea.  Glad to hear you're feeling better :)

Thanks, Cheerleader. :) Actually, when I try to feel back where it was, it's like a tooth never existed there. (But then, it's way in the back there, of course and I can't feel it too well.) I will heed your advice though. I didn't get a syringe, but I will keep the area clean!

Absolutely Vile

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/02/04 at 12:46 pm

I'm glad you are feeling better and you can eat. NOW, I will tell you my horror story since you are now on the mend. When I had mine out, I developed what is called "dry socket". Talk about painful. (But I was given some good drugs  ;)). They had to pack it with this awful tasting stuff. Everything I ate tasted like it. When I able to taste food almost normal, they repacked it and once again everything tasted awful. But it did help the pain to subside. I didn't want to tell you before because I didn't want to cause you any undue worry.

Again, glad you are feeling better.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 09/02/04 at 8:31 pm

and a word from Uncle Howard...Brush floss and mouthwash after each meal. ;D

Howard

Check for new replies or respond here...