inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: inthe00s really needs a logo

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/03/04 at 9:47 am

The other decade sites were a little easier due to the fact that you can look back and see a trend, and try and use it for the design.  This site is a little more nebulous... I'm tired of looking at the booring type up there, and it really needs something,  I did study graphic design for a while, so I can certainly execute the idea myself, the problem is a total lack of ideas on my own part.  I also haven't spent much time on it either. 

The last logo I designed, for http://www.onlyonfilm.com I'm very proud of, but the site hasn't been very popular, so I doubt anyone's seen that yet.

I guess I need ideas from people, as to what trends are prevelant that might translate into a logo idea.

Subject: Re: inthe00s really needs a logo

Written By: Bobby on 09/03/04 at 4:45 pm

What would be nice, Chucky (but it may be a bit time consuming) is if you had a standard logo but perhaps differently styled for each decade (for e.g a neon tube style for 'Inthe80s') when you go to the corresponding board. That way, it shows an all around appeal. I kind of nicked the format from the music show 'Top of the Pops'.

Just an idea.  :D

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 09/03/04 at 4:46 pm

I think the biggest problem that you face Chucky, is that it's very easy to pick any number of negative images since 1 January 2000, but ask anybody how to define this four years with a lasting positive image, and that becomes a lot harder.

The only thing I can think of is to somehow do a faded collage of images of previous years somehow leading into a brighter image of ?  

To somehow demonstrate a progression into the 00's....

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/03/04 at 4:57 pm

Well, elective plastic surgery has boomed in the 2000's, so I could EASILY see an inthe00s logo that incorporates that theme.  :P ;D

Written By: Bobby on 09/03/04 at 5:29 pm

Well, elective plastic surgery has boomed in the 2000's, so I could EASILY see an inthe00s logo that incorporates that theme.   :P ;D

I wonder what we can shape the '00's into?  ::)

Written By: Billy Florio on 09/03/04 at 6:47 pm

I think the biggest problem that you face Chucky, is that it's very easy to pick any number of negative images since 1 January 2000, but ask anybody how to define this four years with a lasting positive image, and that becomes a lot harder.

The only thing I can think of is to somehow do a faded collage of images of previous years somehow leading into a brighter image of ?  

To somehow demonstrate a progression into the 00's....

how bout flying cars, robots and aliens?    ;)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/03/04 at 7:15 pm

I agree with Fuss that is really hard to have some kind of positive image. Of course what most people will think about with the 2000s-so far, is the World Trade Center-but that is not a positive image. How about doing a genaric design using the 2 zeros as maybe smiley faces something like "Inthe :) ;D" or something like that.

Cat

Written By: MooRocca on 09/03/04 at 9:36 pm

Simple, but it might work:  make the two zeros shiny silver discs -- label one DVD and label the other CD-RW.

(had another bad idea or the two zeroes, so modifying to add it:)
If you don't mind making/using an animated logo, you could make both of them tires with spinners. (The spinning rims being sort-of-a nod at both the 00s "bling" obsession and the "pimp my ride" trend.)

(and yet another...)
Maybe you could work up a graphic that uses the two zeros as zeroes... as in zero carbs as a nod at the Atkins low carb diet.  Atkins will definitely be mentioned on VH1s eventual "We Love the 00s" special.

Written By: mrgazpacho on 09/04/04 at 8:57 am

Simple, but it might work:  make the two zeros shiny silver discs -- label one DVD and label the other CD-RW.

That's the best one so far!  8)

But I'd make it simpler - say, one shiny disc (that way it could be anything) and one vinyl disc - seeing as we still have pre-80s discussions around :)

Written By: Bobby on 09/04/04 at 8:06 pm

Harry Potter glasses for the 00's...i'm a geek, I know :P

Ah! Good idea, Cheerleader. Maybe the thunderbolt birthmark to add.

Written By: gemini61 on 09/04/04 at 8:12 pm

All I can think of for 00's seems to be negative so far, so the only thing I can come up with would be the 00's would be eyes with tears coming out of them, or maybe handcuffs!   ;)  Maybe I should try to think a little more positive! :)

Written By: Bobby on 09/04/04 at 8:30 pm

I'm trying to think of positive images of the 00s . . .

O.k what about 2004 Olympics (they were pretty good really - maybe use the Olympic rings to good effect?) and Finding Nemo?

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/07/04 at 12:41 pm

unfortunately, I used that for inthe90s.com (for the compact disc which replaced vinyl and tapes in sales starting in 1990 is the 0 in 90s). 

maybe it's still too soon for the trends of this decade to be obvious enough to use it for a logo design. 

Written By: mrgazpacho on 09/07/04 at 6:48 pm

I'm thinking... something Napsterish...

Written By: Howard on 09/07/04 at 8:40 pm

moving decades using Macromedia Flash Player...? ???

Howard

Written By: Ripp on 09/10/04 at 12:01 pm

Wha abot a grup of ppl n computas?

soz got plasta n cant typ rite

my wart bleedin

Written By: Howard on 09/10/04 at 8:32 pm

How about a talking decades messageboard? ;D

Howard

Written By: ADH13 on 04/10/05 at 8:24 pm

I'm not sure what it's called, but ya know those things that they show on TV sometimes.. it looks like a clock with only 1 hand.. and when the hand turns, it erases the picture, revealing a new picture...

maybe you could do something like that, starting with a classic 60's "flower power" image, then a 70's disco image, then an 80's new wave image, etc...then after the images, it could just say "In the 00's" in nice lettering, then start over again??

There are lots of new members that have joined since this thread was last touched.. so I decided to bring it back  :)

Written By: ADH13 on 04/10/05 at 8:40 pm

Also, Rockandrollfan has a really cool "dancing penguins" thing he uses in his sigline.. there are 4 of them, I think... but if there was a way to make it 8 penguins, and then put the letters on their chests.. (IN THE 00S)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/10/05 at 8:47 pm

A penguin...

Written By: NullandVoid on 04/10/05 at 9:25 pm

Have Penguin rep each decade and then dress them up accordingly.

Written By: jackas on 04/11/05 at 2:06 am

I'm not sure what it's called, but ya know those things that they show on TV sometimes.. it looks like a clock with only 1 hand.. and when the hand turns, it erases the picture, revealing a new picture...

maybe you could do something like that, starting with a classic 60's "flower power" image, then a 70's disco image, then an 80's new wave image, etc...then after the images, it could just say "In the 00's" in nice lettering, then start over again??

There are lots of new members that have joined since this thread was last touched.. so I decided to bring it back  :)

This one sounds like a good idea. 

Written By: ktelqueen on 04/11/05 at 2:15 am

This one sounds like a good idea. 

i totally agree  8)

Written By: karen on 04/11/05 at 5:04 am

I like Odyssey's idea but wondered if an ever-changing logo would cause problems for people on dial-up.  I hardly ever lo on at home because the pages take an age to down-load as it is.

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/11/05 at 12:50 pm

I like the idea of the changing logo, but preferably, I'd prefer a design that is static.  Maybe something with the other decades listed greyed out with the last line inthe00s highlighted?

The penguins dressed in each decade is interesting too, though penuins are just used for the silly rankings, in an attempt to make them less important.

Written By: Alchoholica on 04/11/05 at 6:52 pm

Something like that?

Written By: jackas on 04/11/05 at 6:54 pm

Something like that?

That's a cool idea, Andy. :)

Check for new replies or respond here...