inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Your Least Favorite Words

Written By: lebeiw15 on 09/06/04 at 4:26 pm

What are the words that just drive you up the wall... you know.. you just cringe every time that they're used?  My big one is "gaudy".. I just hate it!  Accck!  Also, when people say "MEH".  Makes me go insane.

Subject: Re: Your Least Favorite Words

Written By: Billy Florio on 09/06/04 at 4:53 pm

psst, screw words, it's letters I hate.  I cant the letter K....stupid letter, thinks its better than everyone else  ::)

Written By: coloradokid on 09/06/04 at 4:58 pm

Ridiculous
Unbelievable
Incredible
Enough
Stinks
P.U.
Ugly
Fat
Crazy
Sick
Crap
Any curse word used for sport, for display of mythical machissimo, or angrily used, attempting to use anger as a weak excuse to say it....to curse occaisionally out of human imperfection = one thing, to curse out of anger as an excuse and often = turnoff.
B.S. (never liked it)
Travelers Cheques
Colfax
Chambers
Not Neccessary
Banana
Flagler
Football
Shut up
Fat
Oink Oink
Pig
Asthma

Any word used as a lie.

Any word racist or sexist.
Any word used as bigotry.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/06/04 at 5:01 pm

Whee
squeal
a
pig

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/06/04 at 5:25 pm

Not so much of words but pronuncations of some that drive me insane. Around here instead of saying "elemen-tree" they say "elemen-tarry" or "documen-tarry"  Also when someone has a positive response to a negitive comment-i.e. "I don't like...." the response "So don't I" I really hate that. Drives me INSANE!!!!

Cat

Written By: gemini61 on 09/06/04 at 5:57 pm

I hate when people say, "wanna come with"? With who? That drives me nuts. And standing "on" line, I always thought it was standing "in" line.  I'll think of more later, I'm sure!  ;)

Written By: Bobby on 09/06/04 at 6:41 pm

Hoover, Mow lawn and Washing-Up are hateful words - especially when today are used after them.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/06/04 at 7:12 pm

Hoover, Mow lawn and Washing-Up are hateful words - especially when today are used after them.

Bobby, according to my Dad who amongst his many jobs was a professional washer, the appropriate method is to "Wash Up" and "Rinse Down".

;D ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/06/04 at 7:16 pm

ALL the cuss words that spew out of television sets, movies and kids ::)

Written By: Bobby on 09/06/04 at 7:18 pm

Bobby, according to my Dad who amongst his many jobs was a professional washer, the appropriate method is to "Wash Up" and "Rinse Down".

;D ;)

Another two words to add to my hate collection . . .  ;D

Written By: Dagwood on 09/06/04 at 7:54 pm

Mine would be a four letter word that is not appropriate for this site.  Chucky would ban me for sure.

Written By: Apricot on 09/06/04 at 8:55 pm

grumpy.....
Indian Summer...
inane....
And many others, if I can think of them.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 09/07/04 at 12:36 am

I despise most cuss words...especially when people use them so loosely!  ::)

I also don't care for double-negatives.  An example of this would be "I don't have none."  Well, if you don't have none, that means you must have some!  :D

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/07/04 at 1:31 am

Depending on my mood, the word NO irritates me!

Compassionate Conservative

Youse (you guys in working-class East Coast neighborhoods, my friends back home say it all the time)

Indian summer, Indian giver (anything truly derogative towards certain groups)

Tanya

Written By: Bobo on 09/07/04 at 1:34 am

Also rather common in Northern English neighbourhoods, or so it would seem. As far as I'm concerned, "You" = "you guys". "You's" = "you is".

Youse (you guys in working-class East Coast neighborhoods, my friends back home say it all the time)

Written By: karen on 09/07/04 at 3:35 am

At the moment I am rapidly starting to dislike "stinkypoo" which my son has just learnt from a friend.  The friend calls his older sister it as a nickname apparently!

Written By: Bobby on 09/07/04 at 4:22 am

Indian Summer derogatory? I (and countless other people in Britain) use that term to describe a good spell of weather that occurs after summer. I have just used that term recently in the weather thread.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/07/04 at 6:56 am

Indian Summer derogatory? I (and countless other people in Britain) use that term to describe a good spell of weather that occurs after summer. I have just used that term recently in the weather thread.

When the term was coined it was called Indian summer meaning false summer because
Indians were deemed liars, or false with there dealings, so we don't use it much anymore.

I am sick of the word delicious now that they have started using it for movies and paintings,
the weather etc.  Seems like everything good is now delicious. :P

Written By: Paul on 09/07/04 at 7:18 am

Internet Service Provider...

(...it's a long story...!!)

Written By: Marian on 09/07/04 at 2:43 pm

At the moment I am rapidly starting to dislike "stinkypoo" which my son has just learnt from a friend.  The friend calls his older sister it as a nickname apparently!
:P :PI hate that one and "potty',especially coming from a little kid.You just know you're going to catch e.coli if you get close. :P

Written By: Bobby on 09/07/04 at 4:36 pm

When the term was coined it was called Indian summer meaning false summer because
Indians were deemed liars, or false with there dealings, so we don't use it much anymore.

Oh . . . Sorry. It was just a term we take for granted. No harm meant.

Written By: Bobby on 09/07/04 at 4:37 pm

Internet Service Provider...

(...it's a long story...!!)

Go on, Paul. Tell us your story . . .  :)

Written By: AssKicker on 09/08/04 at 1:25 am

My sister has several words that she repeats ad nauseum. They are:
RudenessRacistChicken BeastCheeky

Bear in mind that she is nearly fourteen. She has said these so often I'm sick of them and want to strangle her every time she says one.

My mother hates the word "panties" for some reason. So much so that she would dock our pocket money if we said it. She has no problem with actual expletives as long as they're not said in public or excessively, but she really does hate "panties".

Written By: AssKicker on 09/08/04 at 1:30 am

I don't like words that have apparently become fashionable amongst business workers with absurdly long job titles on account of how perfect they are for bullsheeshting, such as:

Literally (when used inappropriately: I literally sold it. No other interpretation of "sold" so "literally" is redundant.)
Ballpark Figure
At This Moment In Time (either say "now" or don't say anything; it's really not needed.)

I'm sure I'll think of some more.

Written By: karen on 09/08/04 at 6:38 am

My mother hates the word "panties" for some reason. So much so that she would dock our pocket money if we said it. She has no problem with actual expletives as long as they're not said in public or excessively, but she really does hate "panties".

I don't know why but this word makes me squirm.

At work we often look at clothing insulation levels.  We ask workers to list what they are wearing and then look up values on standard tables.  Panties is the word for ladies underwear used in these tables.  I prefer the word knickers myself but this may have different meaning in other countries?

Written By: mandamoo on 09/08/04 at 6:45 am

At work we often look at clothing insulation levels. We ask workers to list what they are wearing and then look up values on standard tables. Panties is the word for ladies underwear used in these tables. I prefer the word knickers myself but this may have different meaning in other countries?

Knickers means undies here. For the record, I'm with you on panties. :)

Written By: karen on 09/08/04 at 6:57 am

For the record, I'm with you on panties. :)

Shh! don't tell everyone!  ;)

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 09/08/04 at 7:16 am

Awesome  >:(

The word is overused ad infinitum in Australia, especially by swimmers being interviewed at Olympic Games  ;D  Had I one dollar for every time an Aussie swimmer said that last month I would be RICH  :D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/08/04 at 10:25 am

At work we often look at clothing insulation levels.  We ask workers to list what they are wearing and then look up values on standard tables.  Panties is the word for ladies underwear used in these tables.  I prefer the word knickers myself but this may have different meaning in other countries?

Knickers can be used to mean women's underwear but when I hear the word "knickers" I think of the pants they used to wear in colonial days-the ones that go to the knees-or knickerbockers.

Cat

Written By: karen on 09/08/04 at 10:40 am

Knickers can be used to mean women's underwear but when I hear the word "knickers" I think of the pants they used to wear in colonial days-the ones that go to the knees-or knickerbockers.

Cat

I suspected as much.  Perhaps undies is a universally understandable and acceptable word?

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/08/04 at 3:57 pm

Also rather common in Northern English neighbourhoods, or so it would seem. As far as I'm concerned, "You" = "you guys". "You's" = "you is".

If you really spelled it out, it would be youse.

Tanya

Written By: Bobo on 09/08/04 at 3:59 pm

Youse got me there! ;D

Seriously, I didn't realize I'd made that mistake. How crazy.

If you really spelled it out, it would be youse.

Tanya

Written By: gemini61 on 09/08/04 at 7:14 pm

I know someone who constantly says"unbelievable", you tell him a story, you tell him anything and it's "UN-BE-LIEVE-ABLE!  That's how he says it, UN-BE-LIEVE-ABLE!!  AB-SO-LUTE-LY drives me nuts!  ;)

Written By: lebeiw15 on 09/08/04 at 9:05 pm

Poo -- because it ends on a soft sound, as opposed to "poop" which ends on a hard sound.  So, in my mind's eye, poop is a firm healthy bowel movement  and poo is a nasty puddle of bottom-sick... ew, ew, ew.

I can't believe it.  I'm not the only one who thinks this.  Although, I hate both of those words.

I hate when people say "Can you borrow me some money" or "Can you learn me the right way to spell this" or "I seen her yesterday at the mall."  I know people who talk like this all the time and it's not even funny.  How do you not realize you sound like a complete ingnorant illiterate idiot?  "I SEEN HER!"  Hurr, hurrr!  Just fer that, I'll learn ya a new trick!    GAAAH!

Written By: AL-B on 09/09/04 at 11:13 am

I always hate it when people (usually academic snobs) say the words "huge" or "human" and deliberately not pronouncing the "h" (instead they say "YOOGE" or "YOO-MAN"). I had a teacher in high school who did this and it drove me nuts. It comes across as being arrogant, as if the majority of people, who leave the "h" intact, are supposed to be ignorant or something. >:(

Written By: conker on 09/09/04 at 11:48 am

locals here use 'youse guys' all of the time and do the oppisite with the H.  It's not silent in fact they pronounce it HAITCH.

Written By: Ripp on 09/09/04 at 3:50 pm

I hate and i mean HATE the word:

cool (when used repeatedly)

This word is under lock and key from me - I use it only if i am cold.

And "sick"! I hear sick - and I think "Ooh, they don't like what it is" and then when I try and ask whats wrong, they say "Hey Nothing is wrong with it!"

Sometimes they use it to say "Oh I dont like this" and they say "That's sick!" and i say "Oh, thank you! My friend likes it too" and they say "No I hate it!!!"

And so that word is not being used by me either. You wont hear me saying it.

_________
|  Cool!!  |
|            |
|            |      o
| Wicked! |      |
---------------        F

Written By: Bobby on 09/09/04 at 5:38 pm

And "sick"! I hear sick - and I think "Ooh, they don't like what it is" and then when I try and ask whats wrong, they say "Hey Nothing is wrong with it!"

My brother (impressionable teen) once said that sick meant good. Please tell me this isn't true.  :-\\

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/09/04 at 7:04 pm

locals here use 'youse guys' all of the time and do the oppisite with the H.  It's not silent in fact they pronounce it HAITCH.

Where I grew up the word was "yins"  ;D

LB

Written By: Junior on 09/09/04 at 7:24 pm

I can't stand the words "belly" and "tummy".

Written By: jaytee on 09/09/04 at 9:01 pm

Grouse - a lot of Melbournites use this  :P

and my 13 year old daughter says "sick mate" if she likes something :P

Written By: jaytee on 09/09/04 at 9:05 pm

So do I!  It always sounds a tad "pervy".  We always call them knickers in our house.

Written By: karen on 09/10/04 at 3:32 am

It always sounds a tad "pervy". 

I think that's the reason it makes me squirm.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/05/05 at 11:31 pm

axt (instead of ask)
when someone says, "can i GET that" instead of , "can I have that"
aint
yinz
surreal

Erin :)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/05/05 at 11:38 pm

Right now, one of them is reality television.  ::)

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 06/06/05 at 12:18 am

axt (instead of ask)
when someone says, "can i GET that" instead of , "can I have that"
aint
yinz
surreal

You also don't like when I say...."hmph...I'd tap that"

hahahahaha, I say it just to hear "EWWW, That's SOO gross, I can't believe you SAID that!!!! ahhh!!"

~Beth ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/06/05 at 12:20 am

ewwww....that's so gross...I can't believe you said that!!!!!!

LOL! ;D

Written By: Kenlos on 06/06/05 at 1:28 am

The "n" word.  I could never bring myself to say that word, just thinking it disgust me.  Yet blacks today throw it around like it is nothing.  I just don't get it.

Also the word "Ghetto" just eats at me when I hear someone say it.

Written By: scarletgail on 06/06/05 at 2:52 am

i don't like "my bad" don't know why, but it's said all the time even on tv shows by ppl that you wouldn't expect to know any of the today talk hmmmmmmm maybe that's why i don't like it ;)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/06/05 at 1:47 pm

The n word is way up there too, it gets used way too much now adays.....  ::)

Written By: jiminy on 06/06/05 at 5:17 pm

The n word is way up there too, it gets used way too much now adays.....  ::)

I agree NICE is way over used

Check for new replies or respond here...