inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Sammy Reed's Greatest Hits

Written By: Sammy Reed on 09/06/04 at 10:49 pm

Hello. I'm glad to be back again ..... and again. The first setback was the Apr. 2002 crash of the messageboard, and now came the recent revamping of the messageboard.
    I had the idea of posting past messages I wrote when I reached a certain milestone. I decided to do this when I reached 200 messages. I was in the 190's when the revamping happened. So before I lose the chance completely, I'm going to do this now.
    I start with the earliest message I could dig up, the first I wrote after the Apr. 2002 crash. I hope that other people don't mind my reposting their messages in these posts, and that you all will enjoy reliving some of this, as I do.

Subject: Tighten Up
Written By: Sammy Reed on 04/24/02 at 13:23:31

I'd like to know what you folks out there think of the song "Tighten Up" by Archie Bell & the Drells. To me, it isn't a very professional-sounding song. Also, the music sounds like that tune played in those old regular Nintendo "Mario Brothers" games when you got a star.
    I thought I'd re-post this topic since the messageboard is up & running again.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: Re: Tighten Up
Written By: RockandRollFan on 04/24/02 at 14:36:41

Quoting:
? ? I'd like to know what you folks out there think of the song "Tighten Up" by Archie Bell & the Drells. To me, it isn't a very professional-sounding song. Also, the music sounds like that tune played in those old regular Nintendo "Mario Brothers" games when you got a star.
? ? I thought I'd re-post this topic since the messageboard is up & running again.
End Quote

It's alright...unfortunately I can only think of the "Titan Insurance" jingle that features it :(

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Written By: jamminoldies on 04/24/02 at 19:58:57

I love Archie Bell and the Drells music.Some of their songs I like are:

-"TIGHTEN UP"
-"DO THE CHOO-CHOO"
-"STRATEGY"
-"LET'S GROOVE".

-howard- :)

Written By: Banasy on 04/27/02 at 16:01:28

I love it- reminds me of the days when my parents owned a diner- it was on the jukebox!

Weird or what? I'm listening to it right now...have not heard this song in years!  Just thought you'd want to be informed!  Still lovin it, BTW!

Subject: Re: Sammy Reed's Greatest Hits

Written By: Sammy Reed on 09/07/04 at 11:56 pm

Here's another post I made back in '02 before I signed on as a member in July of that year.

Subject: Square Dance Records
Written By: Sammy Reed on 06/16/02 at 20:45:23

I touched briefly on this subject in my reply to the "Make your own vinyl records" post, but I thought I'd give this one its own post.
    Yes, they still make records, and one of the "cultures" still involved in making records is square dance music. A square dance "caller" and a band take a popular song a lot of us recognize and change some of the lyrics to square dance instructions like "allemand left and once around", "square through four", and other things like that.
    There is a website that sells square dance records. It is...

http://www.dosado.com/cgi-bin/lib/shop-wrapper.pl?page=squares&shop=dosado

You will be AMAZED at the popular songs that have been butchered by square dance callers. You can search this site for titles, but don't use quotation marks or you'll get a not-found message. Some of the titles even have "LISTEN" links where you can hear minute-long clips of the songs online!
    Some of the square dance versions you can hear in this way include ..... and I am NOT making this up ..... "Dancing Queen", "Who Let the Dogs Out", and saints preserve us, "Baby One More Time"!!!
    Those are some of the records I ordered from them today. I do have this thing for strange-and-bizarre records.
    If you check out this website and experience what I'm talking about, or have anything else you want to mention about square dance records, please reply. Thank you.

Subject: Re: Square Dance Records
Written By: Sammy Reed on 06/16/02 at 20:57:29

Sorry, guys. I don't know that much about that hyperlink stuff. That's just how it came out. I found out that the 2nd link, the one after the "target blank" part, works. The 1st one don't. Again, I'm sorry about that.
    Once again, I would like your comments about square dance records.
NOTE: Back in '02 when I tried to put the link in, I had problems when it showed up on the board. Now I find out that when I repost it, that problem is not there. You may click the above link proudly and problem-free!

Written By: Todd_R_1 on 06/17/02 at 00:01:22

I'll admit it, Ive been square dancing the past couple years...courtesy of my girlfriends parents getting us into it. ?Yes, they have some AMAZINGLY weird renditions of popular songs...the most recent one I remember was a square dance version of Iko Iko.. ?

Written By: SammyReed on 01/14/03 at 19:49:01

Quoting:
I'll admit it, Ive been square dancing the past couple years...courtesy of my girlfriends parents getting us into it. ?Yes, they have some AMAZINGLY weird renditions of popular songs...the most recent one I remember was a square dance version of Iko Iko.. ?
End Quote

? ? It's been a while since the last time this topic was mentioned, but I thought I'd talk about this some more.
? ? The Dosado site just recently put up a sound clip for "Iko Iko", and yes, those are some unusual words.

Hey now, hey now
Iko, iko all day
Swing your girl around and round and
everybody promenade -Talkin' 'bout
Hey now, hey now,
join the celebration
and be the dancer that you wanna be
here in the Square Dance Nation

Among the latest releases is "Work in Progress"

I read that book you gave me 'bout Mars & Venus,
Swing & promenade, I prob'ly need to re-read it

And now, that I know about that hyperlink stuff, here is the link one last time:
http://www.dosado.com/cgi-bin/lib/shop-wrapper.pl?page=squares&shop=dosado

Written By: Sammy Reed on 09/08/04 at 10:13 pm

Here's a post I made about a strange rhyme in a certain song. If you all want to reply and make a discussion about strange rhymes in music in general, that would be great! I will put my first message and the first reply, because after that it got off-topic.

Subject: Patches-Clarence Carter
Written By: Sammy Reed on 05/08/02 at 21:25:56

I was born & raised down in Alabama,

on a farm way back up in the WOODS,

I was so ragged, the folks used to call me "Patches",

Papa used to tease me about it, 'course deep down inside he was hurt 'cause he'd done all he COULD.

You just can't top a rhyme like that, can you?

Subject: Re: Patches-Clarence Carter
Written By: Zella on 05/08/02 at 21:31:39

How about:

"And ?the mourners are all sangin'
As they drag you by your feet
But the hangman isn't hangin'
So they put you on the street"

Steely Dan does a lot of amusing rhymes. "beg us" and "Vegas" is another example in the same song.

?;D

Written By: Sammy Reed on 09/09/04 at 9:42 pm

Here's another post I made before I registered as a member. It's about the 5-episode wonder called "Pink Lady & Jeff." I even made a dopey parody about this show, using of all things "Society's Child"!
http://www.amiright.com/parody/60s/janisian0.shtml
It got one vote, and it was a 4/4/4, so I feel pretty good about that parody anyway. Now, enjoy the post.

Subject: "Pink Lady & Jeff"
Written By: Sammy Reed on 06/02/02 at 22:27:31

Does anybody remember the "Pink Lady & Jeff" show? I remember it, not very fondly I may add. It is considered by many to be one of, if not the worst, show in television history. It ran for only 5 episodes in early 1980.
Pink Lady was a group of 2 Japanese female singers who were the #1 group in Japan, but when they tried to bring their popularity to the US, that attempt floundered. They were partnered on the show with a guy named "Jeff", who I found out much later was comedian Jeff Altman.
I could not attempt to descibe this atrocity. There are other websites that provide information and comments that tell it better than I could, including one website that features an interview with the head writer of the show, where he describes some of the inner-workings of, as well as the utter heck involved in making, this show.
Believe it or not, there is a 3-DVD set, called the "Pink Lady & Jeff Box Set", featuring all 6 episodes that were ever made of this pitiful show. It is available from Amazon.

Subject: Re: "Pink Lady & Jeff"
Written By: Wicked Lester on 06/02/02 at 23:25:53

I had totally forgotten this show, but since you mentioned it I do have a recollection of it!! I don't know that I ever watched it, but I do remember the advertisements.

Written By: 80sTrivia on 06/03/02 at 08:04:18

I do remember this show, unfortunately. From what I recall, the guys responsible for H.R. Puffenstuff were responsible for this monumental fiasco as well. Those two Japanese ladies didn't speak a word of "Engrish" so how were they supposed to do a tv show in America. Jeff Altman was the co-star. This show pretty much ruined any chance of a career in comedy he ever had!!!

Written By: Indy Gent on 06/03/02 at 18:36:54

"Engrish", LOL!
Altman did have a brief comeback with his album, "Sweet and Meaty" in the late 90s. Never heard it though.

Quoting:
I do remember this show, unfortunately. From what I recall, the guys responsible for H.R. Puffenstuff were responsible for this monumental fiasco as well. Those two Japanese ladies didn't speak a word of "Engrish" so how were they supposed to do a tv show in America. Jeff Altman was the co-star. This show pretty much ruined any chance of a career in comedy he ever had!!!
End Quote

Written By: Sammy Reed on 06/03/02 at 21:36:54

Quoting:
This show pretty much ruined any chance of a career in comedy he ever had!!!
End Quote

Not to mention it ruined Pink Lady's attempt to be popular in the US. They had a #30something hit, "Kiss in the Dark", in America in 1979. (which I bought a 12-inch single of in a flea market a few years ago. The other side was their version of "Walk Away, Renee", believe it or not.)
Most people in this country still haven't heard of them, so when this show came to the air in 1980, it was their 1st impression of them, and it was a pretty bad one.
First of all, they were not comedians, they were singers & dancers. They were put onto a comedy/variety show format that they just didn't fit in, they knew very little if any english, and they had to learn their lines phonetically. And once again, they were fed these comedy lines that didn't fit them at all because they were singers, not comedians.
Just one of the ingredients in the making for a very bad TV show, and a very bad way of trying to make the Japanese musical group Pink Lady popular in the United States.

Written By: XenaKat13 on 06/05/02 at 11:51:42

I remember the show too. I hated it, but I watched it because I liked Pink Lady.

I think that was my first taste of liking obscure bands that no one had ever heard of (in this country).

Written By: Sammy Reed on 06/06/02 at 00:25:07

First of all, I'd like to apologize for how much time & space I'm going to take up here. I'm sure a lot of people who remember this show when it first came on has a memory about it that sticks in their heads to this day, and I'm going to tell you mine.
I just got my 3-DVD box set of all 6 episodes a couple of days ago, finishing up watching them all today. (Yes, I survived, and I'm still alive! Can you believe it?!?)
I got to re-live the moment that made me not want to watch it anymore when I was a 10-going-on-11 year old boy - the infamous "shark attack" incident.
In previous episodes, Pink Lady would somehow trick, convince, or even push Jeff into the hot tub at the end of the show, when he didn't want to go in. But at the end of this one, Jeff is ready this time, and the girls find HIM in the hot tub. Goody, he got in there without Pink Lady "making" him go in this time. So the girls surprise him by showing him a newspaper headline about a shark attack. Jeff then sees a shark fin rising up and swimming around in the hot tub, gets scared and runs out, never to be seen again. Then we find out that the "shark" is really the girls' big Japanese bodyguard guy (one of the "regulars" of the series) wearing a shark-fin hat.
It should be pointed out that, although today I look at this and know it for the dumb writing that it was, AT THAT TIME I was a sensitive resource-class kid, and the way I interpreted this was: They were "mean women" who
tricked "poor" Jeff into the hot tub, then when they got him in there they did "mean stuff" to him. Needless to say, I didn't want to watch this show anymore, because I didn't want to keep seeing Pink Lady "torturing" Jeff like that.
You can imagine my utter DELIGHT when I got the DVD set and found out that this was the 5th episode, the last show before NBC cancelled it. One of the girls ended it with a disturbingly happy "See you next week!" Those were DESERVEDLY the last words spoken on the show! (There was a 6th episode that was produced but didn't get to air. It is included in the DVD set).
But I didn't know that at the time and I went all these years thinking maybe that the show lasted for a year, like 1980-81 or something. Several years ago, I found out how short it really lasted. I guess it was one of those TV shows that didn't last a long time, it just SEEMED like it was around longer.
I could go on and on about how being stuck in this show surely didn't help Pink Lady get famous in the US, the dumb skits that didn't even have the gals in them at all, "Yes!.....no", "Wondafoo", singing "MacArthur Park" - and JUST THE SLOW PART (although their version of "You've Got a Friend" darn-near brought a tear to my eye - SUPER!), the strange ending of the 6th unaired episode,...
  ...but I've taken up enough webspace already. Again, I'm sorry this took up so much time, but I had to get this off my chest. Thank you very much.

Written By: 80smusicfreak on 06/06/02 at 05:02:06

I don't recall watching the TV series back when it originally aired, but last week, my gf & I happened to run across that same 3-DVD box set on the shelf at our local Borders bookstore, and were checking it out. We didn't buy it - although I'm sure it's still sitting there, lol...

However, I've known who Pink Lady are for quite some time, and that they had a TV show here in the U.S. more than 20 years ago. That's because I've had their 1979 self-titled album on cassette (w/ their top 40 hit, "Kiss in the Dark") for about 10 years now. I still play that one song every once in a blue moon, but I honestly haven't listened to the entire album all the way through since the one time right after I first bought it! Yeah, it's that bad... :-(

Written By: SammyReed on 12/04/02 at 18:37:45

I had to dig all the way back to page 42 for this one. (Now, I started from the last page on down,so I'm not a complete idiot.) NOTE: I didn't know about searching yet. What a dolt I was then. I have some more things to say about this show.
"Kiss in the Dark" was supposed to be their big "hit" song responsible for putting them on "their own" TV show, but they never sang that song once on the show. Note, I put "their own" in quotation marks because it's so evident that other people were pulling all the strings with this show.
Which brings me to another thing, "musical guests". Pink Lady, who were supposed to be the "stars" of the show, were a singing group, and it had "musical guests"?!? Maybe the producers didn't mean for it to be one, but that just seemed to be an insult to Pink Lady. How thrilled do you think Kei really was to utter the words "And our musical guest, Blondie!!!"?
And finally, back when I made this post, I didn't know about how to do links, so I couldn't put in one to the page that had the interview with Mark Evanier, who was the head writer of the show. Here's the link to that interview:
www.pinkladyamerica.com/Pink%20Insider.html

Also, if you're interested, the www.pinkladyamerica.com tribute page has a lot of interesting stuff about them, including a 1999 interview.

NOTE: The link to the interview with Mark Evanier is unfortunately no longer valid, but the other one is!

Written By: Marian on 09/10/04 at 4:09 pm

:o :oThey would have made it today.I mean look at anna Nicole smith and Paris and Nicky!Cheers!

Written By: Sammy Reed on 09/10/04 at 10:08 pm

Here's a post I made about a rather obscure musical group.

Subject: Wild Tchoupitoulas
Written By: Sammy Reed on 06/10/02 at 20:31:03

Does anyone out there know about the Wild Tchoupitoulas? They are a "black indian tribe" that performs concerts at Mardi Gras every year, and in 1976 made an album now available on CD.
    The Wild Tchoupitoulas started when a group of indians took in runaway slaves to live with them. These black slaves, and their ancestors to this day NOTE: I know, guys - descendants, have taken on indian customs and sort of unofficialy call themselves a "black indian tribe".
    I learned about them late last year when a public TV station showed a documentary about them. It showed some clips of a concert they did, and a line in one of their songs, "Wild Tchoupitoulas gonna stomp some rump", intrigued me. So much so that I wondered if this group could have possibly recorded an album of these songs that maybe I could order online.
    After looking them up (and finally learning how to spell Tchoupitoulas), I found out that they did indeed record an album, and that CD's of it were now available. So I ordered one.
    These songs are pretty unusual. There is a pretty good amount of "soul" to their music, almost to the point of questioning the "indian-ness" of it. "Indian Red" is a neat jam session, even though the "gonna kill 'em dead" line scares me.
    Anyway, I think their album has some pretty good music, and if anyone else out there knows about the Wild Tchoupitoulas, please reply here.

Subject: Re: Wild Tchoupitoulas
Written By: Zella on 06/10/02 at 20:43:29

I have that album on a cassette tape. They are a great band! "Brother John" is my favorite.

Written By: Sammy Reed on 09/10/04 at 10:16 pm

I found the interview with Mark Evanier, the head writer of "Pink Lady & Jeff". The address is a little different than it was previously.

http://www.pinkladyamerica.com/pinkinsider.html

Hope you enjoy it!

Written By: Sammy Reed on 09/12/04 at 10:37 pm

Here's another topic I posted here back in '02.

Subject: Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge Tourist Channels
Written By: Sammy Reed on 06/20/02 at 21:51:24

What does anybody out there think of the tourist channels that run on the cable in motels in Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge, Tenn.? (5, 15, and sometimes 54)? Does anyone remember when it was just channel 8? If you have seen them, what do you think of the stuff they show on them?
    Trivia question: Do you know how to complete this sentence?
"If you've gone from 4 lanes to 2,..."
    If you can complete this sentence, you watch that stuff way too much, like me when I go to Pigeon Forge.

Subject: Re: Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge Tourist Channels
Written By: Sammy Reed on 06/23/02 at 08:00:07

I might as well tell you. There is an advertisement that runs on these channels for a wood art place. The voiceover announcer gives you directions on how to get there, ending them with "If you've gone from 4 lanes to 2, you've gone too far."
    If you watch these channels as much as I do when I go to Pigeon Forge, those words get forever stuck in your brain.

Written By: Sammy Reed on 09/14/04 at 10:06 pm

This is a post I made about old TV production logos, and how scary some of them were. Unfortunately, the Eric Hartman Closing Logo Descriptions site is no longer around. Just before it closed down, Eric wrote in his site that after being interested in them for so long, he finally needed a break from logos in his life.

Subject: What TV production logo scared you?
Written By: SammyReed on 10/15/02 at 15:41:24

There are a few web pages where people talk about some production logos at the end of TV shows that were scary. I thought I'd bring that subject to Amiright.
    What was scary to me when I was a little kid was the Universal logo of the 60's & 70's with the globe zooming in. I used to think that was the moon falling. I had a few bad dreams where I was outside at night, when all of a sudden the first 5 notes of the Universal theme started playing all around me. Then the moon started falling as the rest of the theme played.

Deet, deedeedeet, DEET, DEEDEEDEET-

I woke up before the last note could happen, because like they say, you always wake up before something hits you in a dream.
    Also, when I watched reruns of "Brady Bunch" episodes from its 1st year, the Paramount theme at the end of those episodes really put a tear to my eye - much like Tabasco sauce puts a tear to your eye. The fast version of the Viacom theme with the big zoom-in V unnerved me as well.
    One logo that some people online say is the scariest was the Screen Gems logo of the 70's. It wasn't scary to me, but the last note of the theme really pierced my ears. It was one of those high-pitch sounds that make an extra mystery note happen in your ears.
    I don't like how the production companies tack new logos at the end of shows to replace the old ones. I have grown to appreciate the Universal theme as something that is really neat, and thankfully, they don't put new logos on their reruns. I think they're the only company left that keeps the original logos. Sad, ain't it?
    Anyway, here's a link to Eric Hartman's Closing Logo Descriptions page:
http://www.angelfire.com/tv2/closinglogo/
    The link pages have interesting stuff on the subject as well.

Subject: Re: What TV production logo scared you?
Written By: Batsu on 12/28/02 at 22:06:14

Paramount, definitely. From the "Split" to the "Blue Mountain", that production logo (due to that jarring song) used to bother me for years when I was a child. To this day, I can't look at the Paramount logo without a squint (the new 90th one is really not that bad, and since they don't play music with it a lot, it doesn't really suck that much).

Was that Paramount song you heard the same one they playe with the "Blue Mountain" or that... Dun-dun-dun--DUNDUNDUNDUNNNN with a flute thing at the end? That one would probably unsettle most people if it still was in circulation.

Written By: SammyReed on 12/28/02 at 22:48:08

Quoting:
Was that Paramount song you heard the same one they playe with the "Blue Mountain" or that... Dun-dun-dun--DUNDUNDUNDUNNNN with a flute thing at the end? That one would probably unsettle most people if it still was in circulation.
End Quote

That second one, definately! The Eric Hartman website and other people online affectionately call it "Closet Killer" music, which is a pretty appropriate name.

Written By: Batsu on 12/28/02 at 22:51:35

That one...yes, indeed. That would just be a killer for sure. Sounds like music they play in movies when they find a dead body or the culprit of a crime. To think they'd stick that at the end of TV shows. Surely, the production companies tend to be a little more aware of this.

That webpage rules though. Finally, I have found validation in the fact that some of these logos can just be downright unsettling to children!

Written By: Bubba on 01/21/03 at 17:59:11

I always hated the old Mark VII Productions closing theme (the dirty hand holding the die, followed by loud clanging as the hammer hit the die twice, which was lifted to reveal the Roman numeral VII stamped in the metal beneath).

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/21/03 at 18:03:38

Quoting:
I always hated the old Mark VII Productions closing theme (the dirty hand holding the die, followed by loud clanging as the hammer hit the die twice, which was lifted to reveal the Roman numeral VII stamped in the metal beneath).
End Quote

That one scared me. I remember that and hated it.

Cat

Written By: SammyReed on 01/22/03 at 10:35:20

Quoting:
End Quote

Not to mention that it was followed by the Universal production theme!  :o

Written By: Feiticeira on 01/22/03 at 11:04:26

The Channel 4 Kids Learning Centre countdown logo... It scares me because I only saw it when I was ill from school as a child.  Kinda bed memories I suppose.  :'(

Written By: SammyReed on 08/11/03 at 23:30:51

I'd like to announce, to those who may not know, that the Screen Gems logo I mentioned is BACK! In the TVLand reruns of "Bewitched", the show now ends with the Screen Gems logo from the show, which is then followed by that newfangled Sony logo. Speaking of which, does anyone else out there think the Sony logo music sounds like a ripoff of the 1975-90 Universal music?
    One thing that scared me when I was real little was the NBC peacock of the 60's-70's. I was in the 1st grade when they stopped showing it, as well as when they changed the music of the Universal theme.

Written By: Marian on 08/12/03 at 13:13:18

Quoting:
? ? I'd like to announce, to those who may not know, that the Screen Gems logo I mentioned is BACK! In the TVLand reruns of "Bewitched", the show now ends with the Screen Gems logo from the show, which is then followed by that newfangled Sony logo. Speaking of which, does anyone else out there think the Sony logo music sounds like a ripoff of the 1975-90 Universal music?
? ? One thing that scared me when I was real little was the NBC peacock of the 60's-70's. I was in the 1st grade when they stopped showing it, as well as when they changed the music of the Universal theme.
End Quote

::) ::) ??? ???Why were you afraid of the NBC peacock?Cheers! ??? ??? ???

Written By: Mike_Florio on 08/12/03 at 13:28:45

we all got way too much time on our hands...

Written By: SammyReed on 08/13/03 at 10:55:15

Quoting:

Why were you afraid of the NBC peacock?End Quote

? ? Well, i'm talking of course about the 60's-70's peacock, which had this weird animation to it. I guess what gave me chills at my headstart age were all that color stuff moving around, the music which sounded gloomy to me then, the gloomy announcer ("The following program is brought to you ... in living color ... on NBC."), and just then a sudden flute "trill" and the feathers suddenly popping out into place. All this stuff was scary to me then.
? ? Well, nowadays you can see this thing online on a few sites, including http://www.retromedia.tv/primetime.html (The announcer on this clip doesn't sound quite as gloomy as the one I remember).
NOTE: Darnit, this site's shut down too.
? ? I have this clip downloaded, I played it to my 7-year-old nephew, and heck, he even wonders why I used to be scared of it. I must've been one sensitive kid.
(PS: You can hear a audio clip of the "gloomy announcer" version on http://www.telesearch.org/themesonline/index.htm under "Jingles", then "NBC-TV".)
NOTE: Yep, this one, too.
? ? OK, I admit it - I do have too much time on my hands. Pathetic case, ain't I? :'(

Written By: Q.Aviator on 08/13/03 at 10:59:37

LOL!

I won't go there!

Written By: Marian on 08/13/03 at 13:11:26

;) ;) ;)ok,just wondering.I used to like it,though.Cheers!

Written By: lebeiw15 on 08/13/03 at 16:39:35

I used to think the NBC logo and the symbol on Colony paint cans looked the same... ::)

Written By: DaChazman on 08/13/03 at 18:24:12

Quoting:
? ? I'd like to announce, to those who may not know, that the Screen Gems logo I mentioned is BACK! In the TVLand reruns of "Bewitched", the show now ends with the Screen Gems logo from the show, which is then followed by that newfangled Sony logo.End Quote

I saw it, but i didn't listen to the music, because I thought it would scare me.

Written By: SammyReed on 08/14/03 at 11:50:44

Quoting:

I saw it, but i didn't listen to the music, because I thought it would scare me.
End Quote

Oh, come on! Try it, you'll - umm, tolerate it. :)

? ? Anyway, I forgot to mention one more thing about the NBC Peacock. There's a skit I have on tape from a 1976 episode of "Sonny & Cher" where Tony Randall, dressed up as the original peacock, goes to the welfare office because NBC recently "fired" him. I don't think I'll comment any further about that one.

Written By: Sammy Reed on 09/15/04 at 11:22 pm

Here's another one of my past posts.

Subject: "Imagine That" (80's kid's show)
Written By: SammyReed on 11/18/02 at 14:49:16

? ? I got a video called "A Child's Adventure with Betsy Ross" at a thrift store a few months ago. I got it because it had Patti Deutsch on it.
? ? When I watched it, I found out that it was an episode of a kid's TV show called "Imagine That", made in 1983. It starred puppet animals and the corny theme song kept mentioning "5th Street School". It was a show that taught US history. I know it wasn't one of those educational shows on public TV, because it said "Imagine That ... will return after this" on the screen a few times during the video.
? ? It was apparently one of those shows that only lasted 13 episodes, because looking at the back of the box, the "video series" happened to have 13 "volumes". It also lists the guest stars of each episode, and they seem to mostly be from the world of game shows, such as Arte Johnson, Jack Carter, Marty Allen, and of course Patti Deutsch.
? ? I have never seen this "Imagine That" show, because this wasn't on in my local area (or maybe it was on a cable channel, and we didn't have cable at that time). Has anyone out there ever seen "Imagine That"?

Last year at the Dollar Tree, they had another video which was actually called "Imagine That". The box said it had 2 shows - Patti Deutsch as Cleopatra and - are you ready for this? - PAT MORITA AS ORVILLE WRIGHT! Now it had the Cleopatra episode, but DARN, not the other one! A production defect, I guess.

Written By: Sammy Reed on 09/16/04 at 11:18 pm

Yet another "Post from the Past".

Subject: A strange Elvis movie question
Written By: SammyReed on 07/29/02 at 10:55:35

This question has popped into my mind, and maybe you folks out there can answer it.
    Which Elvis movie does he act the most like Johnny Bravo?

Subject: Re: A strange Elvis movie question
Written By: OlDsKoOl_fAiRy on 07/29/02 at 17:44:08

Ummmmm....... In all of them, i guess. Only difference is that johnny bravo is kind of a wimp.

Not too long after this post was written, I happened to see a few minutes of "It Happened at the World's Fair". In that short time, Elvis tried to flirt with a nurse who thought he was a jerk, and there was a scene where a little girl who was with him pulled him away from following some gal on the street. Both of those scenes seem to have been ripped off for "Johnny Bravo".

Written By: Sammy Reed on 09/18/04 at 12:56 pm

Here's a post I started about misheard names of singers and groups. I'm glad it got the replies it received. Thanks to all involved!

Subject: Misheard Singer and Group Names
Written By: Sammy Reed on 07/13/02 at 20:27:40

One time, a kid was talking to my mom and asked her "Do you remember Aerosmith?", and my mom said "Who's Earl Smith?"
    I wonder if anybody knows any other misheard names of  groups or singers?

Subject: Re: Misheard Singer and Group Names
Written By: Crazy Don on 07/13/02 at 20:41:41

My three favorites are:

Because a radio station mispronounced their name, "Herb Alpert & the Didja Wanna Brass."  (They pronounced "Tijuana" as "didja wanna.")

Another is Hot.  Because I was familiar with the group Heart, when I heard the radio station announce the song "Angel in Your Arms" as by what I thought was Heart, I wondered, "This doesn't sound like Heart!"  I later found out the group's name was "Hot," and to me "Hot" and "Heart" sound a lot alike?

A third is Hall & Oates, which, when I first heard the name, sounded like "Harlan Oates."

Written By: Sammy Reed on 07/13/02 at 21:07:49

Quoting:
A third is Hall & Oates, which, when I first heard the name, sounded like "Harlan Oates."
End Quote

When I first heard that name, spoken by a DJ or something, I thought he said they were "Paul & Oats"

Written By: Indy Gent on 07/14/02 at 08:40:38

A classic from the 'Bloopers' in the 60s had some Wolfman Jack-type jock mispronouncing the composer "Racmaninov" (SIC) as "Rock Monov" and said, "Must be some new cat."  :D

Written By: philbo_baggins on 07/15/02 at 03:30:50

And that guy with the big nose, what was his name again?  Barely Man Enough or something like that...

Phil

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/18/04 at 2:49 pm

I once misheard Pearl Jam as Pro Gel.

My sister thought Duran Duran was Sirhan Sirhan.

Written By: Sammy Reed on 03/25/05 at 11:38 pm

The CLG Megamix website, one of the old sites that discussed production logos, has been reconstituted. It now includes some of the logo descriptions previously written in the Eric Hartman site, and other things.
Here is a link to this site:
http://www.freewebs.com/ctu-films/logos/index2.htm

Enjoy!

Written By: Sammy Reed on 04/07/05 at 7:09 pm

Happy 25th anniversary, "Pink Lady & Jeff"!

The show began on March 1, 25 years ago!
I know it's kind of "belated" now, but it came to my mind today, and I thought I'd celebrate it as soon as I could.

OK, guys. I know "celebrate" is a little harsh, but...  ;D

Written By: Indy Gent on 04/08/05 at 4:37 pm

Lessons learn from NBC during their lean years: 1) Never make a variety series with a duo who only had one US hit (Kiss In The Dark). 2) Never hire a "up-and coming" (translation: not yet too funny) comedian to co-host that show. 3)At least hire reputable guests for the show. 4) Don't schedule it opposite established hits. Especially if the show is a disaster like Pink Lady....And Jeff. :-X

Written By: Sammy Reed on 04/09/05 at 12:04 am

I just found out that the last episode aired on April 4, 25 years and 5 days ago.

Dang, I wish I didn't let this stuff slip away from me like that.

Written By: Sammy Reed on 07/28/05 at 11:35 pm

The address that I mentioned above is no longer valid. A new home for the CLG SuperSite is under construction. Here's hoping things get settled real soon, and for gosh sake, permanently this time.
    The logo description site has been moved to this address:
http://members.fortunecity.com/teamfx2000/
and is working now.
    Anyway, here's one thing that intrigues me about the Paramount TV logo. Between the Desilu music and the "Closet Killer" music, there was a short-lived theme that was pretty good! Heck, with the occasional reworking now and then, they could've used this until '87! How come they didn't keep using that song? Much less, if they had to change the music to anything else, why did they go with that blasted "Closet Killer" song?!?

Written By: Sammy Reed on 04/13/06 at 4:41 pm

Here's an odd moment from the end of the 4th episode:
First Jeff didn't want to go in the hot tub, then Pink Lady got Jeff to go to the hot tub. Then Kei, apparently for real, didn't want to go in. So Jeff had to pull her in!

Check for new replies or respond here...