inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What was your "song" at your wedding?

Written By: Niko101 on 09/11/04 at 11:44 pm

Okay, so I've noticed that quite a lot of forum members are/were married. Since we're all most likely music junkies, it's time to 'fess up...what song did you have your "first dance" to at your wedding?

For me, it was "Absolute Beginners" by David Bowie  :-*
My sis had "Everything I Do, I Do It For You" by Bryan Adams (Robin Hood soundtrack was big then)

One thing I have noticed is that most of my divorced friends had "The Promise" by When In Rome as their song...coincidence? ???

Subject: Re: What was your "song" at your wedding?

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 09/12/04 at 1:35 am

We didnt dance as it was just a registry office service, but I had playing during the signing of the marriage certificates U2's "Still Havent Found What I'm Looking For".

He and his family were too thick to get it !  ::)

Written By: mandamoo on 09/12/04 at 1:56 am

For us it was the 'walk down the aisle' song, which was 'In My Life' by the Beatles :)

Footnote: still married ;)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 09/12/04 at 12:02 pm

"It Might Be You" by Stephen Bishop.  Very pretty tune!  :)

(Hubby and I have been married for almost 13 years now)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/12/04 at 12:49 pm

We had two. The first was "La Isla Bonita"-by Madonna (our song) and then "Once Upon a December" from Anistasia, because it was a waltz and we love to waltz-I guess you can say that it is "our dance".  ;)

Cat

Written By: Paul on 09/12/04 at 4:41 pm

Unmarried myself, but in my capacity as 'DJ to the plebs' many moons ago, I played literally hundreds of 'first dancers'...

Rather unimaginatively, everyone plumped for 'Careless Whisper', 'Nothing's Gonna Change My Love For You', or the dreaded 'Lady In Red' (at which point I'd be on my knees with a napkin stuffed in each ear...!!)

Some good choices from what I've read so far, I think the most off-the-wall one I ever played was 'Follow You Follow Me' by Genesis - not the most immediate choice for a 'first song', but it shows a bit of imagination and a fine song to boot...

Written By: danootaandme on 09/12/04 at 6:03 pm

Not married, but on a first big function with friends in attendance Elvis
"Can't Help Falling in Love with You" came on. Our first dance,  my Jerry McGuire
moment.  ::)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/12/04 at 6:07 pm

Always And Forever by Heatwave-1978.....Unfortunately it wasn't :-\\

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/12/04 at 6:22 pm

Not married, but on a first big function with friends in attendance Elvis
"Can't Help Falling in Love with You" came on. Our first dance,  my Jerry McGuire
moment.  ::)

After our two dances, and our "family" dance with parents, maid-of-honor/best man (to Moonlight in Vermont  ;)) the dj played this one and EVERYONE came on the dancefloor and joined us.  ;D

Cat

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 09/13/04 at 1:34 am

"Wear Your Love Like Heaven" by Donovan

That was what we walked down the aisle to.  I was supposed to give the signal for when it was to be turned off but I forgot !  I was a bit pre-occupied  :o

Written By: karen on 09/13/04 at 3:35 am

I was married in a church (12 years ago yesterday  :o ) and we had traditional organ music in the church.

For the first dance at the reception we had "Lady in Red" (sorry Paul) because it was our first ever slow dance.  The next song we had was the one we really wanted as the first but the DJ insisted we had a slow song first.  We danced to "Deeply Dippy" by Right Said Fred.

Written By: mandamoo on 09/13/04 at 5:41 am

(Hubby and I have been married for almost 13 years now)

Same here !

I was married in a church (12 years ago yesterday :o ) and we had traditional organ music in the church.

Happy anniversary Karen  :)

Written By: joedeertae on 09/13/04 at 6:15 am

Wonderful Tonight by Eric Clapton

I used pick my guitar and sing this song to my little honey pie. So... when we got married (almost 12 years ago) this song was played at our backyard wedding. We still stop what we are doing when we hear this song and give each other a little smootchie :-*

J.Dirt 8)

Written By: onaree on 09/13/04 at 6:53 am

At our beautiful church wedding a little over 8 years ago, we had our song played.  It was the first slow song we ever danced to.  Love Of A Lifetime by Firehouse.  I am still very happily married.

My brother and his wife had their song played at their church wedding, Nothing Else Matters by Metallica.  Very different, but Lance is a Metallica junkie.

Written By: karen on 09/13/04 at 7:47 am

My sis had "Everything I Do, I Do It For You" by Bryan Adams (Robin Hood soundtrack was big then)

I remember a news story at the time of someone who asked for this to be played as they walked down the aisle.  Unfortunately the bride couldn't remember the title so she asked for the 'Robin Hood' song.  The vicar said that he had a copy of this song and would arrange for it to be played.  She therefore walked down the aisle to the tune Robin Hood, Robin Hood, riding through the glen.  Robin Hood, Robin Hood with his band of men etc.etc.!

Written By: joedeertae on 09/13/04 at 7:52 am

I remember a news story at the time of someone who asked for this to be played as they walked down the aisle.  Unfortunately the bride couldn't remember the title so she asked for the 'Robin Hood' song.  The vicar said that he had a copy of this song and would arrange for it to be played.  She therefore walked down the aisle to the tune Robin Hood, Robin Hood, riding through the glen.  Robin Hood, Robin Hood with his band of men etc.etc.!

LOL! That's definitely a wedding to remember  ;D

J.Dirt 8)

Written By: jaytee on 09/13/04 at 8:18 am

LOL  ;D

While we signing the bridal register we had "Morning Has Broken" and our first dance as a married couple was "Can I Have This Dance For The Rest Of My Life" by Anne Murray.  That was 1984!! :o

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 09/13/04 at 10:26 am

Without giving out too many personal details, Rush and I ended up having a civil ceremony because we were trying to get Immigration to allow him to stay in the country and get his Landed Immigrant status here in Canada. So we didn't have a reception, unfortunately. However, we would both like to do it properly one day, only this time, we'll do it in the UK. Our original thought for a first dance song if we were going to have a real wedding here was a song called "Dream Come True" by Frozen Ghost (a Canadian group, and this is the ultimate sappy wedding song). But if and when we do it again properly, I'd like either that (we can always bring a copy of it), or "A Question Of Lust" by Depeche Mode, or "Lament" by Ultravox...or maybe even "Vienna!" ;D

Absolutely Vile

Written By: rubixgirl on 09/13/04 at 10:44 am

Just the Way You Are by Billy Joel

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 09/13/04 at 12:56 pm

Same here !

Cool!  :)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 09/13/04 at 1:00 pm

Just the Way You Are by Billy Joel

I love that song!  Excellent choice!!!  8)

Written By: rubixgirl on 09/13/04 at 2:02 pm

I love that song!  Excellent choice!!!  8)
Thank you.  :)

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 09/18/04 at 3:05 am

"It Might Be You" by Stephen Bishop.  Very pretty tune!  :)

Ohhhhh thats one of the sweetest songs around, I always cry when I hear it in Tootsie.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/18/04 at 11:55 am

"If I Don't Have You" Alicia Keys. I got married last month!

Tanya

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 09/18/04 at 12:45 pm

Ohhhhh thats one of the sweetest songs around, I always cry when I hear it in Tootsie.

Thanks, BMG!  :)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 09/18/04 at 12:46 pm

I got married last month!

Tanya

Congratulations, Tanya!  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/18/04 at 2:23 pm

"If I Don't Have You" Alicia Keys. I got married last month!

Tanya

Congrats. Why don't you post some of your wedding pics.

Cat

Written By: Apricot on 09/18/04 at 9:21 pm

It doesn't really count as our wedding song, but it was a song I shared with my love:

"I Knew I Loved You" by Savage Garden

Written By: Gis on 09/19/04 at 5:14 am

Well 8 years down the line and I still haven't got married yet.............However if we ever get around to it we plan to dance to 'There's a light (over at the Frankenstein place)' from the Rocky Horror Show.
We have two 'our' songs one is 'Angels by Robbie Williams' because I was dressed as an angel when we met ! and '500 miles by The Proclaimers' so they will definatly get played.

I did say if it was a church wedding I wanted to walk down the aisle to the version of Dancing Queen from the film Muriel's Wedding as I am a huge Abba fan.Him indoors was not so keen and said if I did that we had to walk back up the aisle to the Imperial War March from Star Wars (think the music played whenever you see Darth Vader !?!)

Written By: Bobby on 09/19/04 at 8:45 am

I would probably have 'Highway to hell' by ACDC.  ::)

Written By: Paul on 09/19/04 at 4:29 pm

I would probably have 'Highway to hell' by ACDC.  ::)

I do hope the better half didn't see that, Bobby...!!

Written By: Bobby on 09/20/04 at 6:08 pm

I do hope the better half didn't see that, Bobby...!!

Heh heh. It's a running joke between the other half and I. ;D

She wants something a bit more like 'When you say nothing at all' by Ronan Keating. Bleugh!

Written By: ktelqueen on 09/23/04 at 2:31 am

"Dream Come True" by Frozen Ghost (a Canadian group, and this is the ultimate sappy wedding song).
Absolutely Vile

great song,Absolutely Vile..i fel lin love with their music the first time i heard it and saw them in concert circa '89  :)

Written By: purpleorchid on 02/24/05 at 10:52 am

Got married in Dec 2004. For the walk down the aisle, Butterfly Kisses (Bob Carlisle) was played. My husband edited the song so that it starts with the part "she'll change her name today...." followed by the chorous. For our first dance, Unforgettable (Nat King Cole & Natalie Cole)

Written By: MooRocca on 02/24/05 at 6:11 pm

Papa Gene's Blues by The Monkees (It had to be a Monkees song, since we met on a Monkees forum.)

We chose it because of this line:
"I have no more than I did before, but now I've got all that I need.  For I love you and I know you love me."

Written By: annmouse5 on 03/07/05 at 10:39 pm

Last in Love-George Strait 

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/08/05 at 1:39 am

There was no songs for me, but we have the traditional wedding music played on the organ, Mendelshon's Wedding tune, Bach/Gounod's Ave Maria, Pachabel's Canon in D, and to start it all was Wagner's Wedding March.

Check for new replies or respond here...