inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Can anyone else relate?

Written By: gemini61 on 09/14/04 at 11:36 am

Well, it was bound to happen, but I wasn't prepared yet! My youngest daughter is almost 16, just got her first job, and will be getting her license soon. And we are now going through the "breaking away" stage. I also have a 22 yr. old daughter and it wasn't so difficult with her. I guess since I still had one child left to "mother". (for lack of a better word) But now my youngest is starting to give me the one word answers when I ask her a question, and the staying in her room for hours on end. I just really am starting to miss our time together and I know she's my last, and then what?  :( I've really had a great relationship with both of my daughters and I'm going to miss them so much. I know I'm jumping the gun a little, but it's all happening so fast. I didn't know I was going to feel like this and it really sucks!

Subject: Re: Can anyone else relate?

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 09/14/04 at 11:48 am

You sound like a wonderful mother, gemini.  I'm sure your daughters also cherish the time you've spent with them, but now they're growing up and wanting to be more independent. 

I don't have any teenagers yet but sometimes I feel like I do.  My almost-9-year-old daughter and I are constantly at odds with each other and I sometimes feel like she is a teenager.  She would rather be at her friend's house than at home with me.  :-\\

Written By: gemini61 on 09/14/04 at 11:52 am

You sound like a wonderful mother, gemini.  I'm sure your daughters also cherish the time you've spent with them, but now they're growing up and wanting to be more independent. 

I don't have any teenagers yet but sometimes I feel like I do.  My almost-9-year-old daughter and I are constantly at odds with each other and I sometimes feel like she is a teenager.  She would rather be at her friend's house than at home with me.  :-\\

Yea, I knew it would happen, but I don't like it!  ;)  And, of course, like you said, they ALWAYS like it at someone else's house better than their own!

Written By: Bobby on 09/14/04 at 6:55 pm

I can relate to some degree, gemini. My girlfriend's son was 10 when we first met and now he is 13, his voice has broke, sprouting hairs and he is getting as tall as I am. The change was sudden and I kind of miss that younger stage he was in. I think he is entering the monosyllabic stage as well.  ::)

It is a wonderful mother that thinks the way you do, gemini.  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/14/04 at 7:22 pm

Carlos once said that kids go into a hole about the age of 12 or 13. They don't come out of it until they are about 17 or so and you hope when they finally do come out of that hole, they are human beings.  ;D

Cat

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/14/04 at 8:49 pm

First let me say that you sound like a wonderful mom, gemini61  :) I can relate as far as boys go...I had FIVE! They started to "Change" at different ages. Brian is my youngest and is just starting to fade away....a little. While all my boys have gone through the growing up stage....it's been different with each one. When thier brother died though, everything definately become different :-\\ Given the choice to be married and have those guys...I wouldn't have changed a thing....except maybe being a better father.

Written By: gemini61 on 09/15/04 at 4:15 am

Thank you all for responding and for your kind words. It's nice to know there are people so wonderful that I can talk to!  :)

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 09/15/04 at 6:59 am

I have a son, 15, and a daughter, 14.

On the whole, they are good kids.  Our friends have said to us that of all the group of friend's children they have to deal with, ours come out looking pretty good  :)

Living with them of course, is another deal, but overall I can't complain. 

Sometimes the independence that they want is hard on all of us, and sometimes it seems they don't try very hard to compromise (if at all), but it makes it a bit easier to know that "this is the way it is" and all you can really do is be there for them when they need you  :)

Written By: jaytee on 09/15/04 at 7:48 am

I hear you Gemini.  All of a sudden my daughters (15 and 13 almost 16 and 14) are out there.  Eldest daughter has boyfriend and is spending nearly every night on the phone and every weekend with friends.  Everything has happened too quickly. :(

Written By: gemini61 on 09/15/04 at 4:04 pm

I have a son, 15, and a daughter, 14.

On the whole, they are good kids.  Our friends have said to us that of all the group of friend's children they have to deal with, ours come out looking pretty good  :)

Living with them of course, is another deal, but overall I can't complain. 

Sometimes the independence that they want is hard on all of us, and sometimes it seems they don't try very hard to compromise (if at all), but it makes it a bit easier to know that "this is the way it is" and all you can really do is be there for them when they need you  :)

Yes, you're exactly right, I know now what my mother went through, but I was 10 times worse I think  ;) I was quite the rebel at 15, 16 etc.....  8)

Written By: gemini61 on 09/15/04 at 4:05 pm

I hear you Gemini.  All of a sudden my daughters (15 and 13 almost 16 and 14) are out there.  Eldest daughter has boyfriend and is spending nearly every night on the phone and every weekend with friends.  Everything has happened too quickly. :(

I feel your pain!!!  ;)  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...