inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Sammy Reed's "Post from the Past"

Written By: Sammy Reed on 09/18/04 at 10:39 pm

This one seems to have stumped a lot of people, because I haven't got a reply yet. I appeal to you, if you could possibly know anything that would help me in this manner, PLEASE reply. I'd love to be able to look this song up and maybe order a record of it so I can re-live strange memories!  :D

Subject: "Every Day" sung by a female duo
Written By: SammyReed on 11/26/02 at 23:50:20

I remember hearing a version of "Every Day" by a female duo in 1981. They had sort of an Abba-like sound. I can't for the life of me remember the names of the women who sang it. This version must not have been very popular, since the station I heard it on played it only a few months, then it disappeared from the face of the earth. I wonder if anyone out there can:
1. Vouch for me about the fact that this version of the song existed, and of course...
2. Tell me the name of the duo?
    I'd like to mention this: In 1986, when James Taylor did his version of it, I said "This guy's doing his version of that song those women sang 5 years ago!" Then I found out it was done originally by Buddy Holly in the 50's. I tell ya, if you weren't around when the original versions of songs were sung, you always think somebody else's version was the 1st one.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: Re: "Every Day" sung by a female duo
Written By: SammyReed on 08/11/03 at 22:59:25

I thought I'd put this one back at the top, since there have been quite a few more people on these boards since I first put up this question, and there might be somebody who might know what the BLEEP I'm talking about here.
    I'd say this is pretty darn obscure, but there was such a recording. If you could possibly know about a version of "Every Day" sung by females in the late 70's-early 80's, please reply. It might be the one I remember, who knows.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: "We Won't Be Home for Christmas" (Sammy Reed "Post from the Past")

Written By: Sammy Reed on 09/19/04 at 10:17 pm

Here's a post I made about another mystery song. Unlike the female version of "Every Day", I did get a reply to this one. It was some time after I posted the question, but somebody pulled through!

Subject: "We Won't Be Home for Christmas"
Written By: SammyReed on 12/16/02 at 19:46:42

? ? There was a Christmas song that I heard for a few times in the 90's that said:

We're here in Dawson City, and it's 48-below
but we're warm by the fire, and Gene just said hello.
We won't be home for Christmas, tell the family of this call.
We love you and miss you, all

? ? The song goes on and on about how they can't go home for Christmas because they have money problems and this & that, and about they great things they would be doing if the family was together for Christmas, etc. Pretty sad-sack stuff. Your Christmas probably wouldn't be too merry with that song, which may explain its scarcity of airplay.
? ? I'd like to know the name of who sang it, and other comments from anyone else who has suffered with this song.

Subject: Re: "We Won't Be Home for Christmas"
Written By: SammyReed on 12/18/02 at 22:50:02

I think I better clarify things here. What it's about is, the woman singing the song is talking to her mom & dad on the phone about how she and her husband & kids are unable to visit her old home place for Christmas this year like they have before.
    Now I think I'm making more sense ... which is still more than I can say for this song. ::)

Written By: stevehutton on 08/11/03 at 19:58:51

(It's been a long time since you asked the question, but here goes...)

I just got off the phone with the singer and composer, Marie Gogo.  She was very happy to hear that people are asking about her song.

You can download the song at mp3.com/mariegogo, where you can also order her CDs.

Marie frequently performs in the Toronto area.  She is also a member of Memories of Don Messer's Jubilee,  which is planning a cross-Canada tour in spring 2004.

Written By: SammyReed on 11/02/03 at 22:09:22

It's been a couple of months between that reply being written and me doing a search and finding the message.
    Thank you very much, Steve, for clearing up that mystery! It's a good feeling knowing you're not the only person in the world who hears a song and you don't sound stupid to other people for mentioning it.
    Well, it's 1 down, 1 to go. The mystery of the female version of "Every Day" is still bugging me. If anyone knows anything about that, please follow this link below and reply there. Thank you very much!
http://www.inthe00s.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=inthe80s&action=display&num=1038379821&start=0
That link is, of course, no longer active but I reposted that one just yesterday, so it shouldn't be too hard to find.

Subject: Audra Lee (Sammy Reed "Post from the Past")

Written By: Sammy Reed on 09/20/04 at 7:27 pm

I believe that Audra Lee was such an important, if insignificant, part of our lives that I'll put this post I wrote about her in this messageboard.

Subject: Audra Lee ("Kids' Beat")
Written By: SammyReed on 07/25/02 at 10:24:50

? ? Remember Audra Lee? She was the girl who was the reporter on the "Kids' Beat" segments on WTBS's "Tom & Jerry" cartoon shows on Mon.-Fri. mornings.
? ? I'm sure a lot of people have their own opinions about her, but mine is this: When she started doing "Kids' Beat" (around 1983), I thought of her as a loudmouth brat that got on my nerves, but by the time she left it (late 80's), she was turning into a real fox.
? ? I found out that she guest-starred on 2 episodes of "Kids, Inc.", in 1988 and 89.NOTE: I made a little error there. That should be 1987 & 88.
? ? Anyone else who remembers Audra Lee, please post here.

Subject: Re: Audra Lee ("Kids' Beat")
Written By: cs on 07/26/02 at 06:42:20

I had forgotten all about her!  She was so perky.  Wonder what happened to her?

Subject: The Recorded Detailman (Sammy Reed "Post from the Past")

Written By: Sammy Reed on 09/21/04 at 9:15 pm

Here a post I wrote about one of the many strange records I have.

Subject: "The Recorded Detailman": What it says on side 1
Written By: SammyReed on 03/03/03 at 22:52:09

? ? As you may have read on the "Tableau of a Bladder Operation" topic, I have a "Recorded Detailman" record talking about the prescription drug Enzypan on side 1, but there a different classical number on side 2 of mine.
? ? In case there is anyone who followed the link in that topic, or are familiar with the "Dave's Record Collection" site, and gives a darn about what it is saying about Enzypan on side 1 (Come on both of you, up with the hands), I'd like to put those words here. The words are spoken by a man who sounds like one of the radio announcers of that time.

...etc.etc...

Subject: Re: "The Recorded Detailman": What it says on side
Written By: SammyReed on 11/25/03 at 22:43:18

? ? I decided to go back to this message I wrote back in March, delete the complete text of the "Recorded Detailman" record I put up there, and would like to inform you of a sound file you can hear instead.
? ? I submitted a sound file of my record to a website called "365 Days" which puts up 1 file a day of a weird record. They put it up today, Nov. 26. If it's after Nov. 26, you can click the "Archives" link and find it listed there - before 2003 is over, i have to stress!

Here is the link to the web page:
http://www.otisfodder.com/365days.html

I guess "Otis" picked this day to put something of this nature on his site because of how close it is to Thanksgiving. So may I wish you and all the rest of "those gobblers" a HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

That link is no longer valid. The 365 Days site stopped putting more songs on it after the year was over, and took the MP3's off as well. But recently, the MP3's have returned, and if you click the "Recorded Detailman", or any other of the weird recordings on there, you can hear them once again! The address for the new site is:
http://www.ubu.com/outsiders/365/index.html

Subject: "Life with Lucy": Should it have happened? (Sammy Reed "Post from the Past")

Written By: Sammy Reed on 09/22/04 at 10:08 pm

Here's another post from days gone by.

Subject: "Life with Lucy" - Should it have happened?
Written By: SammyReed on 11/25/02 at 22:05:11

I'd like to put a post up about the short-lived 1986 Lucy show, "Life with Lucy".
    Now, I'm not a big fan of Lucy shows, but one time I happened to catch a little bit of an episode in which she was dealing with a computer. She started doing things with it, then it started having a few problems, then more problems, then Lucy couldn't take it anymore and let out her trademark "Waahhhh".As a sidenote, let me add this: The errors she was having were sortof like the "syntax errors" a lot of us teenagers of the time had with our Commodore 64's and TI-99's. This moment goes down as the only Lucy-show moment that I could personally relate to!
    Mind you, I already had it with "I Love Lucy" and the stuff with the chocolate conveyor belt, but at the same time I thought it was neat that she was doing that kind of scene with an 80's thing like a computer, on a brand new series. I took it as Lucy still being Lucy, but updating with the times. My thinking was "well, maybe I don't wanna see this stuff continually, but there are other people who do, and as far as that goes, I think she's doing a decent job here."
    Apparently I was wrong about those "other people" as far as this show was concerned, because it wound up lasting about as long as "Pink Lady & Jeff".
    So what do you think? should "Life with Lucy" have happened or not? My belief is that at least she deserved the shot at it.

Subject: Re:
Written By: Steve_H on 11/26/02 at 02:55:18

I don't remember it at all. ?I remember the Lucille Ball Show. ?She was, in my opinion, the most obnoxious person in the history of television. ?Pee Wee Herman and Barbara Walters are in the mix, but no-one touches Lucy in her ability to annoy.

That being said, I agree that she deserved the shot. ?Heck, she had an audience, a whole lot of someones liked her. ?
http://www.clicksmilie.de/sammlung/cool/cool003.gif

Subject: Re: "Life with Lucy" - Should it have happened?
Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/26/02 at 07:16:13

I remember the show but didn't watch it. I grew up on "I Love Lucy" and watched the numerous re-runs and it was cute. I did watch "The Lucy Show" but started to lose interest. I may have watched "Here's Lucy" a couple of times but really was bored with her antics by then. When "Life with Lucy" came around, I had no desire to watch. All of them were the same and it really got old (like her) by that time. I think she was just trying to get back to what she had in her heyday but by that time, it was gone. She had lost her flair (which is sad). She was trying to recreate the candy conveyor belt only on the computer which you just can't recreate the magic she had with Vivian Vance.

Cat

Subject: Re: "Life with Lucy" - Should it have happened?
Written By: jamminoldies on 11/27/02 at 17:43:22

I don't remember"Life With Lucy"But I do remember"STONE PILLOW".Her last final film in 1986.A very nice heartwarming movie.She died 3 years later :'( -howard-

Subject: You know someone's career is going downhill when... (Sammy Reed "Post from the P

Written By: Sammy Reed on 09/24/04 at 10:03 pm

I just wanted to make a comment about one infomercial I saw. Then other people wrote in and were truly the ones who made this thread interesting! Thanks to all involved, and maybe there are others out there who have a career-going-downhill moment to discuss. If so, please post here!

Subject: You know someone's career is going downhill when..
Written By: SammyReed on 11/29/02 at 10:36:47

Peter Frampton is now doing an infomercial for a guitar instruction CD-ROM.

Subject: Re: You know someone's career is going downhill wh
Written By: Race_Bannon on 11/29/02 at 12:52:25

No Way! :o  Ok, here's another that struck just as bizzare.
I was visiting my buddy in this small town in Central Washington State (Ellensburg, for those of you who know it) and Blue Oyster Cult was playing at small Holiday Inn type of lounge.  They were a stadium band!
I'd like to think when I see things like this that I would never sell out to something cheep like that but hey, if it's to get food on the table then it's necessary.
Worst info-mercial out there right now is hosted by long time smut star Ron Jeremy for a drug called "Longitude" ;).

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/29/02 at 13:03:22

To think that I paid I don't know how much money to see Blue Oyster Cult back in 1980 (?) when I could see them for much cheaper today.

Cat

Written By: Jeffpcmt on 12/04/02 at 09:45:05

Quoting:
? ? Peter Frampton is now doing an infomercial for a guitar instruction CD-ROM.
End Quote

Unfortunately, Peter Framptons career took a major nosedive a long time ago. ?Namely how he starred in the stinker Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band as well as selling out in a few other ways. ?He has even admitted his mistakes about how he let himself be taken advantage of by big corporate interest. ?Its really too bad, IMO Frampton is one of the best guitarists ever. ?

I was glad to see him reappear in a cameo in Almost Famous (as well as being a technical advisor for that movie). ?Im also a proud owner of Frampton Comes Alive.

Written By: Richard on 12/06/02 at 02:54:20

When you get caught shoplifting....  :)

Written By: Goreripper on 12/06/02 at 09:31:41

I would love to see Blue Oyster Cult. But I never will. ?:-[

However, in a similar type of thing to them playing a lounge bar as opposed to the stadiums of yore, I recently stumbled on the website for the Choirboys, who were a major arena-filler here in Oz for a couple of years in the 1980s. They now play about two shows a month, in little country towns and there's a banner on the front page of their website: "still playing to sell-out crowds after 20 years!" Of course, the places where they're playing gigs these days, a handful of headless chickens would get a sell-out audience. But we'll say nothing of that.  :)

Written By: Tig on 02/28/03 at 04:34:03

Quoting:
? ? Peter Frampton is now doing an infomercial for a guitar instruction CD-ROM.
End Quote

...and he used to have that gorgeous hair and I think he's completely bald now. ::sigh::...... I used to sleep with him every night...well, I had his poster taped beside my bed... I was 9... it was intense!!! :-*

Written By: Micaela on 03/12/03 at 13:28:04

Some time back, I took a look at Steve Howe's homepage (associated to the "Notes from the Edge" site). The guy himself answers questions from people writing in, a lot of these are of course guitar players. I got the laugh of the day when I saw someone had written in and asked "Would it be possible to have a one-to-one guitar clinic with mr Howe?" Steve, in a gentleman's mood, just answered, I don't give that kind of lessons these days...

Subject: 15-Minute Educational Shows (Sammy Reed "Post from the Past")

Written By: Sammy Reed on 09/26/04 at 1:01 pm

Subject: 15-minute educational classroom shows
Written By: SammyReed on 09/19/02 at 23:34:05

How many of you out there have ever seen those educational shows in school? They were on PBS stations a TV in the class was tuned to, and most of them were 15 minutes long. Most kids of the 80's were probably sent with the rest of their entire grade to the library at "that time" of the week to watch "ThinkAbout", and/or have seen the guy with the moustache drawing along with stories.
    No one really thinks about this, but there are many more of these "classroom shows" floating around that most people haven't seen. I actually turn on public TV at home during school time to watch these shows sometimes. I have some of them recorded on tape.
    Some of these shows, especially the AIT shows of the 70's & 80's, get to be unintentionally hilarious sometimes. Some are quite neat, such as Prof. Julius Sumner Miller's science show. And I think I'm in love with "Miss Patty" from the "Manuscript Writing" show that starts out with a cartoon "bookworm". When you think about it, these shows have quite a variety. And there are shows made as far back as the 70's that are still being run today. (Even though both the stations in our area quit running "ThinkAbout", darnit.)
    If anyone out there knows about these shows, whether it's the above-mentioned or others you may have seen, I'd love to see your comments.

Subject: Re: 15-minute educational classroom shows
Written By: Benny on 09/20/02 at 13:44:46

I can't remember the name, but there was the show that had a clay-mation type bug that was supposed to be a journalist or something. ?It had a little jingle for a writing club that went kind of like:

"The club, the club, the club-the club-the club!, use your pencil, use your pen, use it once - you're "in"!"

Holy Crap! ?I can't believe I remember that - I feel so ashamed! ?I remember we also warped the song to convey something along the lines of beating up your teachers and friends - it was awful.

Hey, don't forget about "The Letter People"!!

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? B.J.R.

Written By: mhfanclub on 09/21/02 at 04:12:57

I remember an old show like that called "inside-out" that tried to teach kids about "life". The particular one I remember was of kids playing pranks on their neighbors. One kid climbed up a roof and dropped a water balloon down his neighbor's chimney. The show ended with a kid daring another kid to jump out in front of a car going down the road? but they didn't show the kid go splat. They always ended the show just before some type of "bad decision" to make the audience think.

Written By: SammyReed on 09/21/02 at 12:20:21

? ? Oh, yeah. "The Letter People". And "Mr. T."
"Tall,
my Teeth are so Tall.
Terrifically Tall.
The Tallest of all.
The Tallest you'll see.
I'm called Mr. T."
? ? Mind you, this show was made in the mid 70's, and this song was done in Roy Rogers-style cowboy music.
? ? And I refer to "Inside Out" as "My First Tales from the Darkside". Now there's a show called "Looking from the Inside Out", a sort of sequel to the original, which is a more normal show involving kids in an afterschool program in their school discussing a different problem each episode.
? ? I'm a hopeless "trekkie" of these kind of shows, aren't I? (The Mr. T. episode of "Letter People" was episode 2. See what I mean?)

Written By: Screwball54 on 09/21/02 at 13:17:27

I remeber one we had to watch every year called "You can do it Duffy Moon".  Whenever he had to do something he thought he could not perform he would think "you can do it Duffy Moon", and he would be able to peform the task. I think it was longer than 15 minutes though.

There used to be a cd rom compilation for sale  called "Our Secret Century" that had a lot of these short films.  I do not own it, but I always wanted to buy it (It does include other stuff to).  Unfortunately, it has been out of print since 1997.

Written By: ChrisPC on 09/21/02 at 23:03:41

There wasn't much else to watch besides PBS at my house out in the country, so I watched all those shows too, including "The Letter People", and "ThinkAbout"! The shows had all kinds of goofy '70s stuff with the metric system, bad animation, and synthesizers. I also remember a big '70s guy doing stories in chalk drawings, I think it was called "Gather 'Round", and another show with a skinny, short-haired woman with a bunch of wild animals.

Almost every state and Canadian province made them for all of North America, the Canadian ones were really strange to me as a kid. I remember that show with the bug that worked for Channel 92, the club's motto was "Palabra Jot"!

I think that show was made here in my state and sent nationwide, like a lot of shows back then. They also made "Tomes and Talismans", an apocalyptic sci-fi show that taught you how to use a library, and "Just Around the Corner", a show about lower-class people learning work skills in a city, which starred Judith Light long before "Who's the Boss?"

I vaguely remember other locally produced shows, like one that had skits on economics, like an ice cream man, some puppets in a spaceship, and a girl named Pennywise. Also there was one about a girl and a talking computer, and one about an immigrant (the actress was a local DJ) learning English. I know they were local because the buildings are local landmarks!

My local station has phased them out until they rarely ever air anymore. I see blocks of some late at night for teachers to tape, but they are never on in the daytime anymore.

Written By: SammyReed on 09/22/02 at 10:12:15

Quoting:
The shows had all kinds of goofy '70s stuff with the metric system, bad animation, and synthesizers.
End Quote

AIT sure had a love affair with the metric system, didn't they? When you saw little kids measuring in "hectares", you knew something strange was going on.
    That was a neat trivia fact you gave us about Judith Light. On one of the "Before They were Stars" specials, they showed a clip from an educational show some actor appeared on before he became famous.

Written By: My_name_is_Kenny on 09/22/02 at 10:50:39

What we got was 3-2-1 Contact.

We didn't have the Letter People as a show, but in kindergarten we did get them as large inflatables, and we had all their songs on vinyl too.

Written By: ChrisPC on 09/22/02 at 11:27:56

Yeah, I think everyone watched 3-2-1 Contact. I still see it on Noggin once in a while. I really loved the English shows more than any of the Canadian ones, I really loved Doctor Who and Blakes 7. Now I have to get them on DVD if I want to watch them. :(

Written By: R.B.Bugg on 01/08/03 at 22:54:33

:) for sentimental reasons(and for a laugh, so I half-expected to actually find anything), I did a search on the words "palabra jot" and then I found this message board. I read a few of the posts and a couple of the AIT kiddie programs I used to see were mentioned ("inside/out", "The write channel" , etc. and so many others I used to see....."all about you", "the guy with the moustache drawing along with stories", etc.....*but, ah, the memories, sigh*.... anyway, this prompted me to do another search on AIT programs, and I came across a site that is selling these programs, either singly @ $39.95 for each tape, or $479.00 for the entire series. as much as I wish I could see these shows again, I would not pay $500 to see them(there must be an alternative). there is a public tv station among my channel line-up which has aired a couple of these shows(in the wee hours of the night/morning), but not the ones I really wish I could see again. :'(

Written By: retrowfmk on 01/08/03 at 23:48:18

We did the letter people, too.  You get to put the letter sticker on the person..they were like cards.  A was Miss ACHOO! Or something like that. R was Ripping Rubber Bands...LMAO. 

The only thing I remember watching in school (1st grade) in the library was "Free to be You and Me" with Marlo Thomas, a young Michael Jackson, and a load of other people we know when they were younger.  I LOVED THAT MOVIE!!

Written By: X on 01/09/03 at 09:46:14

"Think About", "Tomes & Talismans", "Mission: Reading", "Khan Du", "Slim Goodbody", Louise McNamara...brings back memories. There was also this one short cartoon about this guy from a place called Eldoon who slipped into an alternate universe to a place called Noodle. The reference one poster makes to "puppets in a spaceship" might be the "Outerscope 1" segment of "Vegetable Soup" (an excellent show). Man, I could write about this all day.

Written By: SammyReed on 01/11/03 at 17:21:02

I notice there are quite a few Louise McNamara fans here. I'm kind of a Genevieve Fricks man myself.  :-[ (Those who have seen "Math Cycle" or "Drug Wise" will get that joke.)

Written By: Breaker on 01/12/03 at 16:27:31

How about Zoom, did anyone remember that show?

Written By: R.B.Bugg on 01/17/03 at 19:28:14

:)on my local public tv station, I managed to see 3 episodes of "trade-offs" last night(rather, I should say this morning because it was in the wee hours of the morning.*yawn*). for sentimental reasons(and in case I would never see them again), I recorded 2 of them(I didn't the 1st one because I caught it too late to begin recording). now, if they would only air "all about you" and/or "inside/out"..... one can only hope ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/18/03 at 10:20:08

Quoting:
I remeber one we had to watch every year called "You can do it Duffy Moon". ?Whenever he had to do something he thought he could not perform he would think "you can do it Duffy Moon", and he would be able to peform the task. I think it was longer than 15 minutes though.
End Quote

I remember that one but I think it was one of those ABC After-School Specials.

Cat

Written By: SammyReed on 01/18/03 at 11:52:17

Quoting:
now, if they would only air ... "inside/out".....
End Quote

Now that would be a heck of a show to watch at like 3:00 in the morning!  :o

Written By: R.B. Bugg on 01/29/03 at 21:32:16

I just wanted to point out that "the guy with the moustache drawing along with stories" is John Robbins and his program was titled "cover to cover".
another show I used to watch was titled "Ripples". it was similar to "inside/out". ?

Written By: resinchaser on 01/30/03 at 08:32:28

In school we had to watch a show called Sol The Clown, he taught us the basics of French. And I used to watch The Edison Twins.

Written By: Pablo on 04/18/03 at 21:59:19

I LOVED these shows..why?? I haven't a clue..but I liked them! Especially think-about. I last remember seing it circa 1990. They were funny without trying to be..like so much of the 70s-80s education experiments that tried to make us Gen Xers smarter since we were already so damn stupid. BTW the "Duffy Moon" movie..I remember that! EVERY year in school we had to see it at least twice.

Written By: The Skuz on 04/19/03 at 11:53:30

Quoting:
I just wanted to point out that "the guy with the moustache drawing along with stories" is John Robbins and his program was titled "cover to cover".
another show I used to watch was titled "Ripples". it was similar to "inside/out". ?
End Quote

I remember that guy, and I'm still waiting for a Saturday Night Live parody of him or a submission of him on the Internet Movie Database. Anyhow, I probably would've learned more from these 15-minute educational shows on PBS than I would have from going to school, and entered adulthood with few if any school fights.

:P

Written By: Secret Squirrel on 04/21/03 at 23:27:46

Quoting:
How about Zoom, did anyone remember that show?
End Quote

Yeah, along with "Zoom" I used to watch "Big Blue Marble" and "3-2-1 Contact". ?And of course, all those "School House Rock" quickies during saturday morning cartoonz. ?:D

Subject: Re: 15-Minute Educational Shows (Sammy Reed "Post from the Past")

Written By: Jared on 09/26/04 at 2:48 pm

I dunno how you feel about new replies to your psots from the past, but here goes.....

"Letter People" was one of my favorites, even when I was much older than the target audience

I LOVED "Tomes & Talismans"!  I'm surprised anyone else remembers it!  That and "Read All About It" did an AMAZING job of mixing education with adventure

"Mission Reading"....probably older than the target audience again, but it was one of my faves,
just due to the storyline, most likely.

Hey....anyone remember "Storylords"?!

Written By: lebeiw15 on 09/26/04 at 2:49 pm

I remember our math teacher making us watch PBS "MathVantage" shows a few years back :-X

Written By: Sammy Reed on 09/26/04 at 6:10 pm

I dunno how you feel about new replies to your posts from the past,...

By all means, please feel free to post replies to any of them that I have posted and will post. Thank you!

Subject: Song-Poem Records (Sammy Reed "Post from the Past")

Written By: Sammy Reed on 09/27/04 at 11:15 pm

Subject: Song-Poem Records
Written By: SammyReed on 11/18/03 at 20:21:55

? ? First of all, I'd like to paste a message I put in the 70's section a year ago in a post called "What is the worst song?":

This is gonna be kinda tough, because when I think I know what the worst song is, another one comes along, or pops in my brain.
? ?The worst I can think of right now is called "China Dolly". I had this on a 4-song EP called "Halmark". I don't know if this was the name of the record company or the group.
? ?It was a country song that was some sort of ballad I guess. It sounded like they were making it up as they went along, but it was written by somebody, because the EP lists not only the songs, but the name and complete address of the people who wrote each song.
? ?This song mentions China Polly, the China dolly as being "from beyond the Land of the Rising Sun". (That's Japan, you morons - oh, they said "beyond". Ok.) Some of the words are as follows:
What a gal,
My China Dolly!
On a fateful night
her lover was shot.
Oh, what a sight!
China Polly
Mounted him on her steed,
and vanished into the night.
Months & months she tended his wounds
with the odds of her land (?)
and finally he was in good health again.
? ?Note only 1 rhyme in all of that (unless you want to count "land" and "again"). This song was truly horrible.
? ?If there is possibly a worse song than this that comes to my mind, I'll mention it here.

? ? Several months ago, I found a website called www.aspma.com, the "American Song-Poem Music Archives", and found out that Halmark was a song-poem label.
? ? Song-poem records worked like this: There were ads in tabloids and elsewhere that wanted people to send in a poem. If that person's poem was one of the few chosen ones, the company sent them back a letter saying to send them so-much money, and they put the poem to music and made a record of the songs and mailed it to the poem writers.
? ? The ASPMA website has loads of information about song-poem records, as well as many mp3's of some of the more unusual songs found in these records. NOTE: At the moment, the MP3 section is down, but here's hoping things will be back on track with this site real soon! If you click the "discography" link, you'll be astounded at the number of song-poem labels there were!
? ? That website recently put up a lengthy article about Halmark Records (http://www.aspma.com/labels/halmark.htm). It mentions about them putting the addresses of the writers on the labels, the singers making the tune up (albeit not the words) as they went along, and other aspects that fit "China Dolly" to a tee!
? ? The "China Dolly" record is not listed in the site's Halmark discography, though. There were probably only 4 copies of that made, 1 to go to each poem-writer, so the ASPMA folks probably don't know about that particular one. A copy of each song-poem record is very hard-to-find, but the number of individual records themselves are plentiful.
? ? When I found out that that record, as well as another one I had, were song-poem records, I've been kicking my butt ever since for getting rid of them. I have since been fortunate enough to come across a few song-poem records, in a yard sale and a flea market, so I feel somewhat better.

Subject: 1st Video Game System (Sammy Reed "Post from the Past")

Written By: Sammy Reed on 10/06/04 at 10:57 pm

In 2002, "80sRocked" started a thread about your first video game system. Here was my reply in that thread.

Subject: Re: First video game system?
Written By: SammyReed on 09/22/02 at 21:58:59

Oh, yeah! The Atari "Pac-Man" cartridge, and its wonderful theme song:
"Doo-DOO-doo-doot"
    ...and 1 point per dot ... I mean, square.
    Anyway, on my 8th birthday in 1977, I wanted a Selectavision (the 1st VCR). But my dad said he couldn't afford it because it costed so-many hundred dollars, so I got a TV tennis game.
    I got an Atari game for my birthday in 1982, and with that came the baggage of having a load of bratty kids from the neighborhood (welcomed in by my brothers), half of whom I never heard of, coming over just to play what was supposed to be MY Atari game. Well, with only 1 TV in the house, what could I expect? The times I could find to play it myself, I have to say, were golden! My favorite game was "Missile Command", game 17, because the way things moved on that level it looked like it was on film and I thought that was neat.
    I bought a TV tennis game at a yard sale a few years ago that had to be older than the one I had when I was a kid. The sound comes through a speaker on the game, and you have to turn the TV down when you play it because you hear static over the TV. It even takes batteries.
    And what can I say? I bought a new 4-head VCR a few months ago for $56. Progress, buddies.

Subject: 70's songs by other artists (Sammy Reed "Post from the Past")

Written By: Sammy Reed on 10/06/04 at 11:14 pm

There was a thread started by "Xury Defoe" about 70's songs performed by other artists. Here was my reply in that thread.

Subject: Re: 1970's songs covered by other artists
Written By: SammyReed on 07/21/02 at 21:33:27

If you wanna hear bad versions of 70's songs by other people, you need go no further than your local flea market and look for an album with a name like "Super Hits '73" or "Hot Disco Hits" or somesuch name. If you look on the back and it lists the songs, but not who sings them, it is most likely a ripoff record done by unknown singers. Those are pretty interesting, to say the least.
I have a couple of 60's albums from a company called Modern Sound, and an interesting anomaly called "Hustle, Bus Stop and Line Dances". If you're interested in hearing "Turn the Beat Around" done with cheesy moog synthesizer (Any similarity between the "drum solo" and the "Popcorn" song is purely coincidental), this one's for you!
    Once in a while those singers even got some words wrong. There is a web page called Frank's Vinyl Museum, and the entry for "Nashville Country Singers" gives a prime example of this. It is:
http://www.franklarosa.com/vinyl/Exhibit.jsp;jsessionid=KNEPMCBGGLMH?AlbumID=60
And I'd like to say this concerning the misheard lyric for "Car Wash" of "bein' a b----": On one of those albums from the 70's, that's how some gal sang it!

The biggest perpetrator of these records was the Pickwick label, but there were other lesser-known companies as well. (Sunshine Sound Productions from Paducah, KY is one that comes to my mind.)
    This genre has made a comeback in the last decade. In the cheap tape sections of stores, there are tapes such as "Hits of the 80's" or "Hits of the 90's" that lists the songs, but no hit singers. If you look good enough, you may find in small print "Performed by the COUNTDOWN SINGERS" or a similar dumb name.

Subject: Sammy Reed's "Post from the Past"

Written By: Sammy Reed on 10/06/04 at 11:40 pm

There was a thread started by - and these are getting stranger every time I write these things - "Andrew-CoolestDude" about collecting TV Guides. Here's my reply in that thread.

Subject: Re: Anyone ever collect TV Guides?
Written By: SammyReed on 04/04/04 at 17:47:32

In 1980 If I'm not mistaken, I now believe it started the 1st week of Jan. 1981, as a 6th-grader, I used to get TV Guides and they were so thin you could staple them together! I stapled 4 of them together before I couldn't staple them anymore! That's why I gave up after I got 5 of them, because I couldn't staple them all. They went for 35? each back then! I must not have known how to do cent signs yet. I do now:

Subject: My comments on different years (Sammy Reed "Posts from the Past" series finale)

Written By: Sammy Reed on 10/07/04 at 12:11 am

To wrap up my series of "Posts from the Past", I will present these comments I made in various threads about the years 1978, 80, and 83.

Subject: Re: 1978
Written By: SammyReed on 07/28/02 at 21:08:13

? ? For Christmas that year, I got a Porta-Flix. This was a ripoff of that handheld Fisher-Price toy film player with the big advantage that, unlike its predecessor, it was battery-operated and ran by itself instead of having to crank it. (I wonder why this didn't last long?) The "movie" I got with it was clips from a "Star Trek" episode.
And later I wrote:
Come to think of it, being able to play something backwards and in slow motion was pretty neat. You couldn't do that with the Porta-Flix like you could with the Fisher-Price. (such as seeing the "7 chocolate cakes" guy from Sesame Street "fall up" with the cakes stacking up on the plate)

Subject: Re: 1980:
Written By: SammyReed on 12/30/02 at 13:57:02

? ? 1980. Gee. (he says while doing that popping-his-fingers routine, getting ready to let loose...)

"Pink Lady & Jeff"

The year Thom McKee became the highest money-winner of "Tic Tac Dough"

Michael Hayes of The Freebirds and his "1979 Lincoln Continental"

The year all 3 of us boys got nothing but electronic toys from our parents for Christmas.

Casio keyboards, and the "drum" noise (Bonk, TIC, bonkbonkTIC). Musical calculators that gave different "ding" noises for each number (you can imagine the strange music when you got an 8-digit answer)

"Richie Rich" and "Happy Days" cartoons. The year they got rid of that neat Wondertwin noise and replaced it with a crash noise. "Dear Alex & Annie"

The year "Hawaii 5-0" was cancelled

QUBE questions (How many people were as dumb as I was and thought you could answer the questions by touching the TV screen?)

The year "Pac-Man" started (At first, I thought the Pac-Men were the "bags", which I found out were supposed to be ghosts - what did I know?)

The original "3-2-1 Contact" characters - Trini, Marc, & Lisa, and "The Bloodhound Gang"

The departure of Flo from "Alice", and her subsequent short-lived series

The first "music video" I ever saw. Our cable company had a free preview of Showtime, and in between movies, they had a "Showtime Short". There was a film of a woman standing outside a train station singing a song about "My baby takes the morning train, he works from 9 to 5 and then..." (Things sure have changed, for better or more likely worse, since then)

The death of Col. Sanders (I think he did a PSA for the March of Dimes that year before his death.)

Rubik's Cube started giving me headaches

The year Dolly Parton started getting promoted for, uh, something else instead of being a country singer

I thought the song "Babe" by Styx was called "Babe I Love You" and was by Air Supply. (There has to be somebody else out there who thought that) I never said I made the most intellegent comments on this message board :-Well, there you have it. Some of the more humorous (yeah, maybe to a log), thought-provoking (yeah, maybe to a flea), but most likely, strangest comments I have made in my illustrious history of writing in Amiright's message boards. As much as I would like to recap the 1st thing I can remember writing about in these boards - Someone wrote asking about the history of infomercials, so I replied about this show that came on Saturdays when I was maybe around 4 years old in the early 70's about Andersen WindoWalls. See, this man and woman - >AHEMM< - As I was saying, as much as I'd like to discuss all these things, there just isn't enough webspace to talk about all of it. So on I go into the future proudly, with hopefully more odd stuff to talk about. It's been a pleasure to talk about all these things here, and I'm sure there will be more to come. Thank you very much!

Subject: Re: 1st Video Game System (Sammy Reed "Post from the Past")

Written By: Mona on 10/13/04 at 12:16 pm

Ataria, one of the first ones that didn't have cartridges.  It had 3 games, pong, tanks and something like breakaway...I think.

Written By: edbeaty on 11/27/04 at 12:16 pm

I loved educational TV growing up!  "All About You" (I thought Louise McNamara was dreeeamy!), "Cover to Cover", and later "ReadIt" with John Robbins, the Metric System show (hectares?!?), "The Letter People", "ThinkAbout" (possibly related to "Inside-Out", which was sponsored by the Exxon corporation!) "Let's All Sing" with Tony Salitan, "The Art Chest", "Explore the World of Science" (with your science teacher, Mrs. Matson), "The Universe and I", "The Search for Solutions", and on and on.  Slim Goodbody creeped me out, though.

Good stuff!  If I had the money, I'd start an Educational Television preservation society, to save the goodness of ETV for future generations...

Subject: Re: 70's songs by other artists (Sammy Reed "Post from the Past")

Written By: Sammy Reed on 02/16/05 at 8:43 pm

I just recently came across an 8-track tape called "Top Ten Rock, 1975, Vol. 4", from American Pick Hits, Inc. And of course "Recorded By: American Pick Hit Artists". There's a version of Minnie Riperton's "Lovin' You", where those real high notes are played by an arp synthesizer, to spare the poor gal the trouble.

"Lalalalala, Lalalalala... "

Strange.

Written By: Funkbox on 02/26/05 at 10:47 am

Wow. I don't know if anyone is even following this thread anymore, but I had to jump in.

I'm glad to see someone mention "All About You".. I watched that, some guy with a big globe explaining hemispheres and such, inside/out and a few others. A friend turned me on to letter people on sick days.

I'm sort of surprised there's not some sort of archive out there that can somehow be viewed by the public, even if it is a throrough listing of programs and topics. I know some of the old educational films from the 50's and 60's are available online.. hopefully these will follow soon!

Oh.. how come no one has mentioned Vegetable Soup? That was one trippy program!

Written By: Marian on 02/26/05 at 3:35 pm

Wow. I don't know if anyone is even following this thread anymore, but I had to jump in.

I'm glad to see someone mention "All About You".. I watched that, some guy with a big globe explaining hemispheres and such, inside/out and a few others. A friend turned me on to letter people on sick days.

I'm sort of surprised there's not some sort of archive out there that can somehow be viewed by the public, even if it is a throrough listing of programs and topics. I know some of the old educational films from the 50's and 60's are available online.. hopefully these will follow soon!

Oh.. how come no one has mentioned Vegetable Soup? That was one trippy program!
someone has mentioned it.Cheers!

Subject: Re: Song-Poem Records (Sammy Reed "Post from the Past")

Written By: Sammy Reed on 05/17/05 at 11:06 pm

The web address for the ASPMA website has changed. Is it now www.songpoemmusic.com.
The Halmark article can be found at www.songpoemmusic.com/labels/halmark.htm.
Dang, I hope that MP3 section gets to working again! Those of you out there who have never experienced these songs just can't begin to fathom what you've been missing!

Subject: Re: 70's songs by other artists (Sammy Reed "Post from the Past")

Written By: Sammy Reed on 07/19/05 at 10:39 pm

I recently got an album made by "Homestead Records" in 1977, and it has "Blinded by the Light." I listened to a certain part repeatedly, and it sounds like the guy is singing "wrapped up like..." - well, you know.
Oddly enough, this album also has a version of "Car Wash" and the woman here actually sang "diggin' a ditch"! I was shocked.

Written By: jmac on 07/25/05 at 12:53 am

Hi! Okay, I realize I'm about 3 years late on this posting but I was just looking up "palabrajot" and found this discussion topic. I cannot believe how many people can remember titles for these shows! I've got two that I can't figure out the titles for so if someone/anyone knows them I would LOVE to look them up....

1. Maid Marion was captured in a tower and had to read a certain number of books before the witch would let her go.
2. Same actress, same premise but she was sent up to space and couldn't return to earth until she read the books.  ::)

Written By: Sammy Reed on 07/25/05 at 12:13 pm

Hi! Okay, I realize I'm about 3 years late on this posting but I was just looking up "palabrajot" and found this discussion topic. I cannot believe how many people can remember titles for these shows! I've got two that I can't figure out the titles for so if someone/anyone knows them I would LOVE to look them up....

1. Maid Marion was captured in a tower and had to read a certain number of books before the witch would let her go.
2. Same actress, same premise but she was sent up to space and couldn't return to earth until she read the books.  ::)

"Once Upon a Time" and "Star Lore", respectively. Her character on the first one was "Marian, the Librarian". Those came from Nebraska ETV. I got to watch that network when I had a big-dish satellite system.
I noticed quite a few shows that had the same people. There was "Belle Letters' Story Saloon" ("Salon" - Excuse me) where Marian/Space prisoner played Belle Letters. That show had a sherrif, and there was another show called "I-Land Treasure" where the guy who was the sherrif on "Belle Letters" and the woman who was the witch on those other 2 shows worked together to find treasures having to do with words.
I kept watching these things to see if that babe from "The Art Corner" would make a cameo appearance, but unfortunately no.  :\'(

Written By: Sammy Reed on 07/26/05 at 10:05 pm

I might as well mention this now, after years of knowing about it, and I'm very sorry I never mentioned this before:

From 1989-90, Nick at Nite had a weekly series called "On the Television". It had parodies of TV shows, and they focused on a different kind of show each week. There was an episode on sitcoms, another one about infomercials, and yes, one of them was about the 15-minute educational shows. There were parodies of some of those shows, including a John Robbins spoof! (Mind you, they didn't show his face, but his arm drawing on the board.)
You know how sometimes the story went ahead of what he was drawing, so they cut the picture to him drawing the scene the story was talking about? Well, on this one he was drawing away, and the storyteller kept on with the story, the John imitator kept trying to draw faster to catch up, until he had enough and punched the off-screen storyteller out!
Dang, I wish I could remember the other shows they parodied. And I wish I knew where I could get a copy of that show, too!

Written By: anguilla on 11/04/05 at 8:16 pm

The messages from R.B.Bugg aren't really from him.  I was his animator and I really miss him.  I worked with him on a table that was about chest high.  After I posed him, I'd do a deep knee-bend while the frame was recorded.  I was doing so many of those a day that I had a ravenous appetite.  Lunch was 2 or 3 full plates from a restaurant buffet and I didn't gain an ounce.

I'll see if I can get a current picture of him and post it for you.

Subject: Re: Female version of "Every Day" (Sammy Reed "Post from the Past")

Written By: Sammy Reed on 11/14/05 at 11:55 pm

Well, I got the Joel Whitburn book that lists every song that has ever hit the top 100, and the "bubbling under" book that lists songs that didn't quite make it to the top 100, and this darn song is not in any of them. Dang, this thing is obscure! Maybe it's in the adult-contemporary book. I'll get that next and see.

Anyway, this all puts me in mind of how things used to be on radio station WOPI in Bristol, Tenn. in the early 80's.
Did you know that Walter Murphy, of "Fifth of Beethoven" fame, had a version of the "ET" theme in 1982? He did, and WOPI played it just about every day for a while. And this song didn't make the top 100 or bubbling-under either. I have a sneaking suspicion that WOPI was more an "adult-contemporary" station than a rock station per se.
Heck, James Taylor's "That's Why I'm Here" didn't make any of those charts, either. So I guess where it was a big hit was on the adult-contemporary chart, right?

Well, like the commercial said, "Today the pits, tomorrow the wrinkles...", and the day after that, I might get the mystery of the female version of "Every Day" solved, who knows? Until then, "Sammy Reed... marches on."

Subject: Re: My comments on different years (Sammy Reed "Posts from the Past" series finale)

Written By: Sammy Reed on 02/22/06 at 12:31 pm

I knew I wrote a similar list of stuff about 1985, but I couldn't find it. Well, I did find it later, and now I'd like to put that here.
Subject: Re: 1985
Written By: SammyReed on 01/02/03 at 11:55:05
Well, I wrote a list of stuff on the 1980 post, and now I'll try to give you some things about 1985.

The year I totally lost interest in WWF wrestling and started loving NWA wrestling

The year I became a "Guiding Light" fan (That is, until 1987, when it stopped being interesting to me. Come to think of it, the same thing happened with my NWA wrestling watching.)

"Alice", "The Jeffersons", and "Dukes of Hazzard" were cancelled

"I Want to Know What Love Is" was the 1st new rock song I heard that year.

Standup comedy started taking off as it hasn't done before.

Whitney Houston was a new name on the scene

"Jem" and "She-ra" began

The slew of game shows such as "Headline Chasers", the new "Nighttime Price is Right" with Tom Kennedy, "New Newlywed Game", new "Break the Bank" with Gene Rayburn - gosh, it's starting to amaze me how much of these shows were new versions of older shows. Also, the year "Tic Tac Dough" went to heck because Wink Martindale left (to host "Headline Chasers"). The year Johnny Olsen died.

The year Ricky Nelson was killed in a plane crash.

Casio and Yamaha keyboards were starting to get better than they have been in the past

"Hulk Hogan's Rock 'n' Wrestling" cartoon show

The "Space Shuttle" pinball machine came along with its revolutionary-at-the-time "million point bonus". (Nowadays, multi-million point scores are commonplace in pinball machines, which makes this not such a big deal anymore).

Those are some of the things I can think of about 1985 right now.

Subject: Re: You know someone's career is going downhill when... (Sammy Reed "Post from t

Written By: whistledog on 06/25/06 at 11:00 pm

Sammy Reed's posts always get zero replies, so I am replying to this one to break the mold ;D

Subject: Re: You know someone's career is going downhill when... (Sammy Reed "Post from t

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/25/06 at 11:01 pm

Sammy Reed's posts always get zero replies, so I am replying to this one to break the mold ;D

There might be a reason for it though.

Subject: Re: You know someone's career is going downhill when... (Sammy Reed "Post from the P

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 06/25/06 at 11:01 pm

PENIS!

Written By: whistledog on 06/25/06 at 11:03 pm

There might be a reason for it though.

Cause they don't really make any sense.  I wonder if Sammy Reed is related to Bill :D

Written By: Apricot on 06/25/06 at 11:03 pm

I have.. never.. ever.. known how to respond to Sammy Reed posts.

Written By: whistledog on 06/25/06 at 11:04 pm

PENIS!

OMG YOU SAID PENIS!

:o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 06/25/06 at 11:06 pm

OMG YOU SAID PENIS!

:o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o

lol omg so did u

Written By: whistledog on 06/25/06 at 11:07 pm

lol omg so did u

No, I said "Pen is"  I forgot to include the space ;D

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 06/25/06 at 11:27 pm

No, I said "Pen is"  I forgot to include the space ;D

Hahahaha, Oh I remember when I was young, I'd ask everyone "Hey, want to join my Pen Club?" When they'd say yes, I'd Write "PENISCOOL!" on their hands with permanent marker. Ah, the good ol' days.

Written By: Apricot on 06/26/06 at 4:55 am

Hahahaha, Oh I remember when I was young, I'd ask everyone "Hey, want to join my Pen Club?" When they'd say yes, I'd Write "PENISCOOL!" on their hands with permanent marker. Ah, the good ol' days.

My friends never asked. They just did. ;D

Our Psychology student-teacher was writing a chart one time about showing children similar objects and how they wouldn't comprehend.. she used a pen/pencil set up (children can tell a blue pen and a yellow pencil apart, but a blue or yellow LEAD pencil will be thought of as simply a pen because of it's shape).. and she kept writing qualities.. like "Pencil Is Yellow", "Pen Is Blue".. but her handwriting crammed together in all the weirdest spots.. so it come out "Penis Long" "Penis Blue" "Penis Spurts Liquid".. it was hilarious.

Subject: Re: You know someone's career is going downhill when... (Sammy Reed "Post from the P

Written By: Sammy Reed on 06/26/06 at 6:11 pm

So, all you guys,
Can't you think of something that let you know that someone's career is going downhill?
You can use pen, pencil, or preferably keyboard.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/26/06 at 6:37 pm

So, all you guys,
Can't you think of something that let you know that someone's career is going downhill?
You can use pen, pencil, or preferably keyboard.

Posing for Playboy.  That's a good sign you're on the way out.  The day you get your baps out in a magazine to sell records or make people see your movie is the day you need to pick up and walk as far away from it all as you can.

Written By: woops on 06/26/06 at 8:06 pm

Deborah Gibson is still doing well in theatre, and I prefer her music than most pop acts now, and Drew Barrymore is still in the public eye...

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/26/06 at 8:16 pm

Deborah Gibson is still doing well in theatre, and I prefer her music than most pop acts now, and Drew Barrymore is still in the public eye...

Who wants to see Deborah Gibson naked?  She hasn't been relevant for years.  If she hadn't done that, only the die-hards would have known what she was doing.  Drew Barrymore does silly crap like that, so I wasn't surprised.

Generally, it's a dumb thing to do.

Written By: Gis on 06/27/06 at 3:29 am

When a band you last saw filling huge stadium is now playing at your local club..............

Written By: Sammy Reed on 07/05/06 at 4:34 pm

Well, I just got my Joel Whitburn adult contemporary book, and well...
It's still "the pits". I still can't find that thing.
But hey - I found out that Walter Murphy's version of "ET" went to #25 in adult contemporary in 1982, and "That's Why I'm Here" went to #8! (#8 in adult contemporary, and it didn't even scratch the pop chart?!?)

Written By: whistledog on 07/05/06 at 5:25 pm

Did you know that Walter Murphy, of "Fifth of Beethoven" fame, had a version of the "ET" theme in 1982? He did, and WOPI played it just about every day for a while. And this song didn't make the top 100 or bubbling-under either.

Walter Murphy's Themes From E.T. hit #47 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1982.  I have this on mp3.  It's quite catchy :)

Written By: Sammy Reed on 07/05/06 at 7:17 pm

Walter Murphy's Themes From E.T. hit #47 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1982.

I see that now.  :-[ 's a-plenty.

Written By: whistledog on 02/16/07 at 11:03 pm

I saw a spider looking at this, so what the hell ...

First ever VG system I owned was the Commodore Vic-20, which we got in 1982.  I think my Dad was intrigued by the promo ads for it that featured William Shatner saying "Why buy just a video game from Atari or Intellivision?  Invest in the wonder computer of the 1980s for under 300 dollars"

Man, 300 bucks.  That's quite a deal :o

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/16/07 at 11:42 pm

NES!

Written By: Midas on 02/20/07 at 1:31 am

I had that Super Pong console from Atari a few years before I got the 2600.

Written By: Tam on 02/20/07 at 1:33 am

TI99!!! ;D

Written By: Midas on 02/20/07 at 1:45 am

TI99!!! ;D

Isn't that like a calculator?  ;D

I still have my Atari 2600 somewhere.

Written By: Tam on 02/20/07 at 1:46 am

Isn't that like a calculator?   ;D

Pretty much!
We did have quite a few games for it though.
And you could make programs and save them on cassette tapes! :D

Written By: whistledog on 02/20/07 at 1:48 am

I still have my Vic-20, but it's non-functional.  Shame too.  I wanna play GORF

Written By: Howard on 02/20/07 at 1:21 pm

Isn't that like a calculator?   ;D

Cool. :)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/20/07 at 1:25 pm

I never had a video game system.  I wasn't into them.

Written By: Howard on 02/20/07 at 1:26 pm

I used to have an Atari 2600 but gave it away so I could buy Gameboy.

Written By: Brian06 on 02/20/07 at 3:33 pm

Super NES.

Written By: NullandVoid on 02/20/07 at 4:56 pm

Atari of course

My first game was asteroid (I STILL have the cartridge!)

Written By: Step-chan on 02/20/07 at 6:32 pm

Ms. Pac-man for me.... Atari was the first system I played. The NES was the first system I owned.

Written By: audkal on 02/20/07 at 11:53 pm

Our first system was the Sega Genesis (which I still love!).  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...