inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: hitch hikers guide to the galaxy is back!

Written By: karen on 09/21/04 at 5:14 am

Wasn't sure which board this applied to so I'll post it here.

The BBC has commisioned some new radio scripts to complete the 5 part trilogy of H2G2.  The first part (or third part I suppose) will start broadcasting tonight at 6.30 on Radio 4. They are using some of the original radio cast.

I'm going to try and listen in but the chances of being able to hear all of it with my two children in the room are slim to none!  I hope they have it on the website as 'listen again' so I can listen tomorrow lunchtime at work.

Subject: Re: hitch hikers guide to the galaxy is back!

Written By: danootaandme on 09/21/04 at 5:56 am

I loved Hitchhikers Guide. I read the books, they did have a television show on once that
I never got around to viewing.  I waited for a rerun but they never brought it back, didn't ever
think to look up a website, think I'll do that now. :) :) Thanks for the info and let us know how you
like it.

Written By: sputnikcorp on 09/21/04 at 6:40 am

a movie is in production. i can't wait for that either.

Written By: maddog on 09/21/04 at 7:24 am

Yay! I'm really looking forward to it.

I was a big fan of the original radio series...I guess I was about 15 at the time and I found it hilarious. I also read all the books but the later ones got steadily weaker, I thought.
I don't know if this new series is actually based on a Douglas Adams book or unfinished script of some sort - anyone know?

It'll be interesting to see how the new show goes down with what could be a completely new audience, in many cases.

Written By: karen on 09/21/04 at 7:43 am

I don't know if this new series is actually based on a Douglas Adams book or unfinished script of some sort - anyone know?

I gather from the article in Radio Times that thee will be three more series based on the three books that follow on from where the original radio series left off. i.e. So Long and Thanks For All The Fish, Mostly Harmless and one other I forget  :-[

Written By: maddog on 09/21/04 at 8:22 am

I think the last one was "Life, The Universe and Everything".

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/21/04 at 10:19 am

I have all 5 books (in one). I started reading it but never finished.  :-\\ I know, I need to pick it back up again. (After I'm done with the LOTR books).

Cat

Written By: karen on 09/21/04 at 10:48 am

Should be released sometime next year I here.  The negotiations for the movie rights are partly what held up the recording of the new radio series.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/21/04 at 5:19 pm

The question is how much license they will be allowed without him around to protest the
changes that they will inevitably make.  With luck to producers will be fans as well, not
just money men looking to cash in on the popularity. ???

Written By: karen on 09/22/04 at 3:30 am

Having heard most of last nights show I think they've stayed quite faithful to the main story line.  Of course they've had to cut out lots of background stuff which didn't contribute much to the main themes.

Douglas Adams was very involved in the early script writing phase.  In fact some of this was recorded a while ago but not transmitted.  Douglas himself plays one of the characters, Agragrar (sp?), a thing that Arthur keeps accidently killing who goes mad and builds a shrine to all his previous incarnations.  I've not explained it v well but if you know the books you'll work out what I mean I hope.

Written By: maddog on 09/22/04 at 3:46 am

I listened last night and thought it was really excellent, very entertaining and well produced, just like the original radio series in fact.
There were a few cast changes enforced by the sad loss of some original cast members, including Peter Jones as the Voice of the Book, but even that was handled well
with William Franklyn's voice being neatly meshed in as an "update".

I really DON'T look forward to a movie, for me radio is the best medium for this story. Trying to put some of the fantastic storylines into a visual medium, even with a
mega budget for special effects, cannot do justice to the imagination, I feel.

Written By: karen on 09/22/04 at 4:48 am

I never heard the original radio series - too young!  ;D  I've read the scripts though because this is the book version we have at home.  Douglas's explanations of the ideas and problems are hilarious.

I heard a friends tapes later on after I had seen the series on television.  And much later than that I read the books.  Therefore, to me, one or two characters didn't sound quite right.  I think in particular Marvin sounded different.

Written By: maddog on 09/22/04 at 7:21 am

I think in particular Marvin sounded different.

That's interesting because the actor voicing Marvin is still Stephen Moore, one of the original cast members from 25 years ago.
I'm not certain but I think he was also the voice of Marvin in the TV series as well.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/22/04 at 8:54 am

Dr. Demento use to play two songs-one was called "Marvin the Parinoid Android" and "Marvin, I Love You." He said that they were from the original BBC production. Does anyone know if that is true or anything about it because I did love the songs and wanted to hear the entire thing but wasn't too sure about it.

Cat

Written By: philbo on 09/22/04 at 9:34 am

There's no Marvin songs that I can remember in the BBC production- I'm in the middle of writing a Marvin parody ("I'm depressed" to "Be Our Guest", but I'm kind of stymied at the moment: didn't help that I came up with another parody idea to the same song while I was writing it... "Read My Lips" has been submitted and is awaiting the next update)

Written By: MooRocca on 09/22/04 at 1:56 pm

Someone finally pried the rights loose from Gilliam?!  Cool!

Written By: karen on 09/23/04 at 3:40 am

Dr. Demento use to play two songs-one was called "Marvin the Parinoid Android" and "Marvin, I Love You." He said that they were from the original BBC production. Does anyone know if that is true or anything about it because I did love the songs and wanted to hear the entire thing but wasn't too sure about it.

Cat

Cat

I asked this question on a BBC message board and was directed to this site

http://hhgproject.org/entries/marvin.html

which contains the MP3's and an explanation.  They didn't appear in the original shows but were released as singles on the back of the successful TV series.

Written By: philbo on 09/23/04 at 4:04 am

Great, Karen :D

Phil's one happy bunny now...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/24/04 at 9:41 am

Cat

I asked this question on a BBC message board and was directed to this site

http://hhgproject.org/entries/marvin.html

which contains the MP3's and an explanation.  They didn't appear in the original shows but were released as singles on the back of the successful TV series.

Thanks, Karen.

Cat

Written By: karen on 09/24/04 at 9:45 am

No problem Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...