inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Beach Boys SMiLE

Written By: Billy Florio on 09/21/04 at 5:20 pm

www.smilethealbum.com

Im not gonna go into the importance of this album, but if anyone here is as much a fan of this album as I am (Bobo?) then you can hear it finally finished for the first time on this website...just register and listen

btw, Brian Wilson recorded all new versions....

Subject: Re: The Beach Boys SMiLE

Written By: Bobo on 09/22/04 at 12:36 am

It's a great moment in pop history, and it's finally arrived. The release of SMiLe.

(If indeed he has recorded new versions of the tracks, I hope they stay faithful (I'm thinking, Fire, and particularly Prayer to start it off..) to the original mixes. I'm not going to take a listen now, as I already have ordered the first copy in Shrewsbury as my own.

This brings up a whole new point for me, the fact of Beach Boys bootlegs (of which I own several..) some of which are probably worth releasing themselves. I wish some of the record companies would see sense and make an available collection of that stuff..

Anyway.. I'll keep going forever if you don't stop me, so..

www.smilethealbum.com

Im not gonna go into the importance of this album, but if anyone here is as much a fan of this album as I am (Bobo?) then you can hear it finally finished for the first time on this website...just register and listen

btw, Brian Wilson recorded all new versions....

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/22/04 at 3:51 pm

I LOVE the Beach Boys...but I can't STAND Mike Love :P The real genius of the Beach Boys has and always will be Brian :)

Written By: Billy Florio on 09/22/04 at 4:54 pm

It's a great moment in pop history, and it's finally arrived. The release of SMiLe.

(If indeed he has recorded new versions of the tracks, I hope they stay faithful (I'm thinking, Fire, and particularly Prayer to start it off..) to the original mixes. I'm not going to take a listen now, as I already have ordered the first copy in Shrewsbury as my own.

This brings up a whole new point for me, the fact of Beach Boys bootlegs (of which I own several..) some of which are probably worth releasing themselves. I wish some of the record companies would see sense and make an available collection of that stuff..

Anyway.. I'll keep going forever if you don't stop me, so..

theres actully been some talk of releasing a 1967 version box set....but theres no comfirmation

if I didnt knwo better, I probably could have mistaken Prayer for the original track...but it's also ties together with "Gee" (a cover of the crows song) that goes into one of the alternative versions of "Heroes and Villians"..Gee kinda strays from the original...youll see what I mean when you hear it...

the only thing Im really mad about is the complete alteration of the "Water Chant"....its the not the Water chant we all know as part of "Cool Cool Water"  on Sunflower....he changed it drasticly....

other than that, Im not too upset at all....

Written By: Billy Florio on 09/22/04 at 5:43 pm

oh, and i want to hear what everyone thinks of it when they hear it....

Written By: Billy Florio on 09/22/04 at 10:35 pm

I LOVE the Beach Boys...but I can't STAND Mike Love :P The real genius of the Beach Boys has and always will be Brian :)

then youll love SMiLE...Mike Love has nothing to do with it..and hates it

Written By: Bobo on 09/22/04 at 10:51 pm

Which fairly nicely ties in with the non-existent Mike Love vs. Van Dyke Parks pseudo-battles which went on around 1966 examining the fact that while Van Dyke was writing these amazing songs (parts of "Who Ran The Iron Horse", "The Grand Coolee Dam", etc), Mike was busy working on a plan to screw them. Whether that's absolute genius from Mike, or obsessionist SOB Mike Love at it again, who's to tell. I certainly don't wish to sway either way on the grounds that it would probably affect my stance on The Beach Boys forever if I made a decision one way or the other.

then youll love SMiLE...Mike Love has nothing to do with it..and hates it

Written By: Bobo on 09/22/04 at 11:03 pm

A little side-track topic though:

Knowing what we know about tracks like "Plymouth Rock", "In The Cantina" (particularly the whole Mid-West section), the many and varied sections of "Bicycle Rider", and "I Love To Say Da Da", etcetera, etcetera, do you ever go back to the original Heroes And Villains and feel that slight bit disappointed that it just turned out to be that three minute song which is, to others, as meaningless as any mix of Good Vibrations without having heard the early taped tracks eight weeks previously?

The D flat version of Wonderful, though, is just so beautiful. It does miss out a couple of the sections which are present on the Smiley Smile version, but I now feel that I don't know how much credence I can give to Smiley Smile as an album rather than the regeneration of an idea. Knowing what I do now about Smile just changes things slightly.

Still, in my opinion, this could either be one of the biggest selling albums ever (thirty six years in the waiting, with such prehistory to it).. or, I'm still prepared so that it could be one of the biggest musical flops of all time.

Time will tell..!

Written By: Billy Florio on 09/23/04 at 1:40 am

A little side-track topic though:

Knowing what we know about tracks like "Plymouth Rock", "In The Cantina" (particularly the whole Mid-West section), the many and varied sections of "Bicycle Rider", and "I Love To Say Da Da", etcetera, etcetera, do you ever go back to the original Heroes And Villains and feel that slight bit disappointed that it just turned out to be that three minute song which is, to others, as meaningless as any mix of Good Vibrations without having heard the early taped tracks eight weeks previously?

The D flat version of Wonderful, though, is just so beautiful. It does miss out a couple of the sections which are present on the Smiley Smile version, but I now feel that I don't know how much credence I can give to Smiley Smile as an album rather than the regeneration of an idea. Knowing what I do now about Smile just changes things slightly.

Still, in my opinion, this could either be one of the biggest selling albums ever (thirty six years in the waiting, with such prehistory to it).. or, I'm still prepared so that it could be one of the biggest musical flops of all time.

Time will tell..!

the first version of H&V that I heard was the 3 minute version from Smily Smile...that was the one that I loved....

it wasnt until about a year ago that I heard the smile version (or anything off of Smile actully)...my jaw dropped when I heard the In the cantina part and Fake barnyard and H&V2 with Gee and the dip dip dip dip heroes and villians part...and the grunting Da heroes da heroes da heroes and villians....I considered both masterpeices...

but Ive got sad news...the version of H&V here is not the 9 minute version that is found on the bootlegs....

yeah, its got in the cantina, Gee and the dip dip dips come before it at the end of Prayer, ...but theres none of the grunting!!!!  THe grunting of da heroes da heroes etc etc is not there!

so to answer you question lol...I was not disapointed with the hit version of H&V or the SMile 67 version...and while I love the 04 version, I am disapointed the grunting is nowhere to be found (not even in DO you like worms?/Roll Plymouth ROck where it fits nicely)

to be completely honest, I dont think this album will sell...Pet SOunds didnt sell well in its day, so why would this sell now...even when we know its genius....it wont be a "flop"...itll go down in history.. it just wont sell....and thats a shame

Smiley Smile is not really an "Album" as Pet Sounds or smile is...its an album as say the Beatles "Hey Jude or the Beatles again" is or side 2 of bookends ...it was just a CD with a bunch of songs thrown onto it..a singles compilation, but without all singles...it had new material (the woodpecker symphony) but it was mostly just reworking of old stuff....its an album, but not of the same breed...not a concept album...

Written By: Bobo on 09/24/04 at 12:33 am

The most important sections of Heroes And Villains for me are the "In The Cantina, margueritas.." and the "How I love my girl" dips. But how they can include "How I love my girl" without the grunting, is something which puzzles me.

I'm fairly sure the first version I heard was the 3 minute Heroes And Villains, then the live version, then the version from Endless Harmony which starts out with those in-fading D flat chords and includes the animal sounds (as I assume, "Barnyard").

I don't know the nine minute version all that well. I'm sure I have some of the bootlegs on which I'll find it, but I just won't be able to locate it for a while until I really get a solid collection of my bootlegs which are currently just splayed around everywhere..!

yeah, its got in the cantina, Gee and the dip dip dips come before it at the end of Prayer, ...but theres none of the grunting!!!! THe grunting of da heroes da heroes etc etc is not there!

As for Smiley Smile, I remember hearing this album and thinking, so this is what "Heroes And Villains" ended up to sound like, "She's Going Bald" (a very strange insinuation in the title there!), "Wonderful", and even "With Me Tonight" which has appeared on Smile bootlegs before. I don't know whether or not it's going to appear on this one, but..

Maybe I just expect too much..

Written By: Billy Florio on 09/25/04 at 2:47 am

The most important sections of Heroes And Villains for me are the "In The Cantina, margueritas.." and the "How I love my girl" dips. But how they can include "How I love my girl" without the grunting, is something which puzzles me.

I'm fairly sure the first version I heard was the 3 minute Heroes And Villains, then the live version, then the version from Endless Harmony which starts out with those in-fading D flat chords and includes the animal sounds (as I assume, "Barnyard").

I don't know the nine minute version all that well. I'm sure I have some of the bootlegs on which I'll find it, but I just won't be able to locate it for a while until I really get a solid collection of my bootlegs which are currently just splayed around everywhere..!

As for Smiley Smile, I remember hearing this album and thinking, so this is what "Heroes And Villains" ended up to sound like, "She's Going Bald" (a very strange insinuation in the title there!), "Wonderful", and even "With Me Tonight" which has appeared on Smile bootlegs before. I don't know whether or not it's going to appear on this one, but..

Maybe I just expect too much..

with me tonight isnt part of SMiLE really...what it does is it uses part of Windchimes in the song, so its derivitve from SMile.....

Shes going bald (He give speeches) was recorded during SMile but was not meant for use

Written By: Billy Florio on 09/28/04 at 7:43 pm

ok Bobo, I want to hear reactions now! lol

Written By: Bobo on 09/28/04 at 10:59 pm

Embarrassingly, I still haven't had the time to go buy it yet. I might do so either on Saturday or Sunday, depending on when I'm the most free (freest?)

Trust me, as soon as I hear it, a critique will follow!

Written By: schmartypantz on 10/09/04 at 1:06 pm

I bought it 2 days ago and have listened to it twice.
I guess it's why I stopped listening to the Beach Boys in the 60's.
Genius?..uh, ok.

Written By: Bobo on 10/09/04 at 1:21 pm

Gah, I never did get that critique done in the end..!

It will come one day...

Sorry you didn't like it, schmartypantz.

Written By: Billy Florio on 10/09/04 at 8:05 pm

this is the review I wrote for my college newspaper:

http://www.hofstrachronicle.com/news/2004/10/06/Entertainment/Brian.Wilson-746895.shtml

Written By: schmartypantz on 10/09/04 at 8:57 pm

yep..everbody says it's the greatest thing ever..*shrug* I don't get it. it all seems so corny.

Check for new replies or respond here...