inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What do you do for a living?

Written By: ktelqueen on 09/23/04 at 2:34 am

I don't think I've seen this topic on the board yet(which surprises me)...I work in hospitality/tourism  :)

Subject: Re: What do you do for a living?

Written By: karen on 09/23/04 at 3:44 am

I think it was probably on the old boards ktel.  However we've had loads of new people join so it's probably time to revisit some topics.

How about the ones still at school/college/uni tell us what they'd like to do?

I work as a laboratory technician in a university research lab.  I also do a small amount of teaching/demonstrating techniques in Environmental Ergonomics.

Written By: Paul on 09/23/04 at 7:18 am

I assist in the printing and distribution of tediously boring guff for the legal profession, a profession which seems not to have heard of computer technology, but loves your money...!!

I'm convinced I'll die under a mountain of paper...!!

Written By: onaree on 09/23/04 at 7:31 am

I am employed through the Cabinet for Health and Family Services as  legal secretary.  I am responsible for typing up petitions for termination of parental rights for children that have been in foster care for several months.  After the trial, the children are then free for adoption into good homes.

Written By: Sentimentalist on 09/23/04 at 9:45 pm

I am a certified nursing assistant, part time and a full time nursing student.  I am not sure but here in Minnesota the waiting lists to start nursing school are approx 2 yrs long.  If 8 people don't pass the prerequisites I will start the nursing component of my education in Jan,  if they all pass I start next Aug.  I believe I will pronate my hands and keep my radius and ulna crossed!
God lyk!

Written By: Bobo on 09/24/04 at 12:38 am

I'm a product of the Great British college system. Still going through that system now.

I'm also a qualified lazy-bones. Or rather I was. Until I quit because I was too demotivated. (Boom!)

I'm hoping to get a job sometime. I don't know what doing. I just want to earn some money for myself somehow..

Written By: ktelqueen on 09/24/04 at 12:39 am

I'm also a qualified lazy-bones.

that's cute  :)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 09/24/04 at 1:54 am

Right now I am a homemaker.  I was doing some babysitting until the parents of the last little girl I watched decided it was time to send their daughter off to Pre-School.

Prior to staying home and raising my kids, I worked as a Visual Merchandiser for a local high-end retail outfit.  I found the work to be very physical and unrewarding though...

I suppose that when my son starts school I will have to go back to working 'outside the house'.  Though it's still a little while off, I am NOT looking forward it.

Written By: mandamoo on 09/24/04 at 5:20 am

I work for one of our major department stores as a Visual Merchandiser, which is just a fancy name for a window dresser. I also put together various themed displays throughout the store, as well as dressing a multitude of mannequins.

Prior to staying home and raising my kids, I worked as a Visual Merchandiser for a local high-end retail outfit. I found the work to be very physical and unrewarding though...

You're right about it being very physical, Karen.....unrewarding.....it definitely has its moments. :P

Written By: Bobby on 09/24/04 at 5:34 am

I work for one of our major department stores as a Visual Merchandiser, which is just a fancy name for a window dresser. I also put together various themed displays throughout the store, as well as dressing a multitude of mannequins.

You're right about it being very physical, Karen.....unrewarding.....it definitely has its moments. :P

Do you ever dream of one of the male mannequins coming to life?  ;D

I work as a Data Entry Keyer for The Royal Mail (British postal service). I check hard to read mail using a computer and make sure it gets to it's proper destination inside and outside the UK. As important a job it is - it is incredibly monotonous!

Written By: mandamoo on 09/24/04 at 6:13 am

Do you ever dream of one of the male mannequins coming to life? ;D

They're a bit like Ken, Bobby. As in, they're not anatomically correct unfortunately  ;) ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/24/04 at 9:31 am

NOTHING!  ;D ;D And proud of it. Actually, I am medically retired from the military so I have a pension. And have been retired since the ripe old age of 26 (no kidding). I went back to school to get my teaching certification but haven't really used that. I did do some volunteer work for a long time until the b.s. got so much that I couldn't stand it any longer. I still haven't decided what I want to be when I grow up. I do have a book in the works and I hope sometime soon to have it published and than I can say that I am a writer. Until then, I can say that I am a message board contributor.  ;D

Cat

Written By: Jessica on 09/24/04 at 11:44 am

I'm a bum at the moment, living off of Rice Cube and my parents. That will hopefully change after the baby is born and is a few months old.

That's not to say I don't do anything. I do take care of the house and do laundry and cook dinner and all that. I'm just not employed outside of the house. :)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/24/04 at 4:28 pm

I teach. However, I'm at home for now until my son settles into his early years of school.

Tanya

Written By: Bobby on 09/24/04 at 5:17 pm

They're a bit like Ken, Bobby. As in, they're not anatomically correct unfortunately  ;) ;D

Heh heh. It does put a dampener on things doesn't it?  ;D

Written By: Rio_Rhodes on 09/24/04 at 5:19 pm

Well,after 6 months of being a peon at Petsmart, in about a week I officially become a dog groomer, cuz I am going to groom school! Yay! Yeah, I know, big whoop, but its not bad for someone who at about this time last year lived only on Top Ramen noodles and water cuz she didn't have any job to speak of and no money at all. At least now there is a steady supply of food in the apartment!

Rio

Written By: Bobby on 09/24/04 at 5:21 pm

Well,after 6 months of being a peon at Petsmart, in about a week I officially become a dog groomer, cuz I am going to groom school! Yay! Yeah, I know, big whoop, but its not bad for someone who at about this time last year lived only on Top Ramen noodles and water cuz she didn't have any job to speak of and no money at all. At least now there is a steady supply of food in the apartment!

Rio

It is a big deal, Rio. An improvement is an improvement.  ;)

I'm not sure if I have seen you on the boards in quite a while, welcome back.  :D

Written By: Howard on 09/24/04 at 9:45 pm

I volunteer at a hospital. :)

Howard

Written By: Jennifer028 on 09/24/04 at 9:49 pm

Stay at home mom  :)

Written By: Niko101 on 09/25/04 at 2:40 am

I guess you could say I do three things right now:
1. I have been a lighting jock for about 12 years. What is that? Well, I make the lights work their magic on the dance floor in nightclubs.
2. I am my husband's manager (DJ Trent Von). Those artist-types have a hard time when it comes to negotiations, networking, deadlines, money, etc. So, my job is to kick him in the arse and make sure he stays on track.
3. Domestic Goddess. Somebody's got to wash the DJ's socks and cook him dinner and clean his dishes and tidy up his studio and...

Written By: jaytee on 09/25/04 at 8:39 am

Housewife

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/25/04 at 9:12 am

Up until last Friday I owned and operated a Spa in Maintou Springs. I, like 3 other businesses around town, went out of business. At least I tried. We were open for over a yera but it just never jelled :-\\ I continue to work for 3 hours every Thursday for a local paper ($110) and am starting work in a couple weeks on Fridays for yet another paper for a 4 hour route that will pay $150)...I also work as a bouncer at Meadow Muffins where my friend Mike is a bartender....AND on days other than Thursday-Friday...I work with Mike and his wife cleaning houses for $25 per hour :D

Written By: karen on 09/27/04 at 10:12 am

Mark

Sorry to hear your business didn't pan out as planned.  Sounds like you're busy enough with the other stuff anyways.

Written By: Kenlos on 09/27/04 at 10:19 am

I am a college student studying to become a Meteorologist.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/27/04 at 11:24 am

Mark

Sorry to hear your business didn't pan out as planned.  Sounds like you're busy enough with the other stuff anyways.
Thanks, Karen....1st the DJ Job....now this...oh well, at least I tried ;)

Written By: Koop on 09/27/04 at 12:35 pm

I am a paralegal and I work for a law firm that specializes in domestic and real estate law.  The attorney I work for keeps trying to talk me into going to law school, but I'm not sure if I really want to do that.

Before that, I worked for IBM (for 7 years) as a project manager.

Written By: joedeertae on 09/27/04 at 2:54 pm

I work in the oilfeild industry at a machine shop (various ones over the last 12ish years) I started as a gopher :D then moved into inspection and calibration. It's decent work but the hours (about 65+/week) SUCK when you have kids.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 09/27/04 at 4:11 pm

Up until last Friday I owned and operated a Spa in Maintou Springs. I, like 3 other businesses around town, went out of business. At least I tried. We were open for over a yera but it just never jelled :-\\ I continue to work for 3 hours every Thursday for a local paper ($110) and am starting work in a couple weeks on Fridays for yet another paper for a 4 hour route that will pay $150)...I also work as a bouncer at Meadow Muffins where my friend Mike is a bartender....AND on days other than Thursday-Friday...I work with Mike and his wife cleaning houses for $25 per hour :D

Gosh, I'm sorry that your business didn't hold up, Mark.  :(

I am glad to hear that you're doing some side jobs, though...I'm sure that all helps.  Keep the positive attitude and I'm sure everything will work out.  ;)

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 09/27/04 at 4:52 pm

My Yahoo profile says I'm an "uninspired musical genius" which sounds a lot better than "housewife" or even "Domestic Goddess," (which, really, is what I am). :D

Absolutely Vile

Written By: sputnikcorp on 09/27/04 at 4:56 pm

cab driver. i haven't been robbed yet so things look pretty good  ;D

Written By: nally on 09/27/04 at 6:16 pm

I just go to school; so I guess you could say my occupation is "student." Although last Friday I did start doing volunteer work on campus.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/27/04 at 6:32 pm

I just go to school; so I guess you could say my occupation is "student." Although last Friday I did start doing volunteer work on campus.
Very commendable, Jeff :)

Written By: karen on 09/28/04 at 3:23 am

But what do you think you might like to do when you leave school Jeff?  Do you have any career plans yet?

Written By: Davester on 09/28/04 at 4:02 am

Process Operator at C&H Sugar.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/30/04 at 6:16 am

Union Heavy Equipment Operator-cranes, cherry pickers, backhoes, stuff like that.
I have been a bookkeeper, paralegal, store clerk(sales associates they call them now).

Written By: Mona on 10/13/04 at 3:04 pm

I work at a temp agency.  We send temporary employees to various companies.  You meet some interesting people, that's for sure.  Some of them are just between jobs but others are on welfare and/or drugs so they don't want to work every day.

Written By: nally on 10/15/04 at 11:59 am

But what do you think you might like to do when you leave school Jeff?  Do you have any career plans yet?

Ah...I figured someone might ask me that. Originally I wanted to do something like computer programming, but computer science has been a very tough major for me; I might switch my major to math (since I've been good at math ever since I was little). See, I was repeating courses for two years because I couldn't pass one with a "C" or better the first time around. And last semester, I retook an Operating Systems class (with the same professor; I had to, since he was the only one teaching it during the day), but I just couldn't pass it, it was so tough. In fact, last semester all my classes were extremely tough I hardly understood anything. So anyway, if I switch to math, what interesting thing(s) could I do?

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 10/15/04 at 12:14 pm

So anyway, if I switch to math, what interesting thing(s) could I do?

Graphic design? Architecture? Textiles?

Absolutely Vile

Written By: nally on 10/15/04 at 12:15 pm

Graphic design? Architecture? Textiles?

Absolutely Vile

Well I was thinking of graphic design, since that usually involves computers and math, but...I don't know yet.

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 10/15/04 at 12:26 pm

Well I was thinking of graphic design, since that usually involves computers and math, but...I don't know yet.

It's a creative field, and being a creative person myself, it sounds like it could be fun. :) Unfortunately, my maths skills are terrible, and I work better with pencils and paper. But you might enjoy it! :)

Absolutely Vile

Written By: Stompgal on 10/15/04 at 12:43 pm

I study multimedia at college.

Written By: Howard on 10/15/04 at 7:49 pm

I volunteer at a hospital

Howard

Written By: nally on 10/16/04 at 12:15 am

It's a creative field, and being a creative person myself, it sounds like it could be fun. :) Unfortunately, my maths skills are terrible, and I work better with pencils and paper. But you might enjoy it! :)

Absolutely Vile

Maybe I might enjoy it. I haven't made up my mind yet. Sometimes I, too, have to work with pencil and paper, just to sketch things out. I also use MS Excel or Paint or whatever is available on the computer, if I have to.

Written By: Jennifer028 on 11/05/04 at 8:37 pm

Stay at home mom/Student  :)

Written By: AL-B on 11/06/04 at 3:09 am

Truck driver (Teamsters).

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 11/06/04 at 7:16 am

Payroll Manager for a company that employs 2000 staff.  I shudder every time the phone rings  :o

Written By: danootaandme on 11/06/04 at 9:52 am

Payroll Manager for a company that employs 2000 staff.  I shudder every time the phone rings  :o

I used to do payroll(for about 10 years) YUCKEY  The thought of it makes me shiver.  I always loved the
people that would come up and give me flack about their payscale and I had to tell them that
I just make sure they get the money, I don't decide how much ("ohhhhh")

Written By: Allie Fox on 11/26/04 at 3:22 pm

I hold a secret position with the government.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/26/04 at 7:48 pm

I hold a secret position with the government.

So secret that you don't know what it is?  ;)

Cat

Written By: gord on 11/26/04 at 7:59 pm

one of the oldest professions, carpenter ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...