inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favourite rock/indie/alternative bands and artists?

Written By: Stompgal on 09/24/04 at 12:35 pm

The Rasmus
Travis
Coldplay
No Doubt
Blink 182
Franz Ferdinand
Keane
Kelly Osbourne
Ozzy Osbourne
Good Charlotte
Maroon 5
Catatonia
Evanescence

Subject: Re: Favourite rock/indie/alternative bands and artists?

Written By: Apricot on 09/24/04 at 3:04 pm

Modest Mouse!!!!!!  :D

Written By: Henk on 05/30/12 at 8:31 am

The Rasmus
Travis
Coldplay
No Doubt
Blink 182
Franz Ferdinand
Keane
Kelly Osbourne
Ozzy Osbourne
Good Charlotte
Maroon 5
Catatonia
Evanescence

Nearly 8 years on... I wouldn't want to call ANY of these bands/artists indie and/or alternative (anymore). Would you? ???

Another question: were they considered indie/alternative 8 years ago? :-\\

Written By: Henk on 05/30/12 at 8:43 am

Anyway... I was trying to find a thread on this subject (Indie/Alternative Music) on inthe00s.com, and this was the only one I could find. I'm sure there are (were) others, perhaps even more recent than the one I've resurrected.

The reason..? Well, a new music video channel has recently been launched in my country, and it seems to be specializing in indie/alternative music (with the odd exception of more mainstream pop/rock). That's why.

So I suggest we all post our favorite indie/alternative music videos here. Because there's plenty of music that never made it mainstream, and still is worth listening.

I'll kick off with these two:

King Charles - Mississippi Isabel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQzsUcRBEKI&ob=av2e

Airborne Toxic Event - All I Ever Wanted

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz1xIhq1Fh4&ob=av2e

Now I'm hoping Stompgal doesn't mind the threadjack... :-\\

Written By: meesa on 05/30/12 at 1:00 pm

If not all "Indie", certainly off the beaten path...
L7
The Weakerthans
Reverend Horton Heat
A Perfect Circle
Cage the Elephant
Cake
K's Choice
Lights
Mute Math
Flaming Lips
The Smiths
The Strokes
Bon Iver
Mumford and Sons
The Black Keys
Silversun Pickups
Wilco
Muse, although they have received mainstream airtime.

Written By: Henk on 06/01/12 at 5:37 am

If not all "Indie", certainly off the beaten path...
L7
The Weakerthans
Reverend Horton Heat
A Perfect Circle
Cage the Elephant
Cake
K's Choice
Lights
Mute Math
Flaming Lips
The Smiths
The Strokes
Bon Iver
Mumford and Sons
The Black Keys
Silversun Pickups
Wilco
Muse, although they have received mainstream airtime.

Lots of stuff I haven't heard of. Maybe I should go check them out.

K's Choice have had several hit records in their home country Belgium (and neighbouring Holland as well). Not sure if you're aware.
The Smiths, The Strokes, Mumford & Sons, Muse... I consider those to be mainstream. Still great bands, though! :)

Written By: Henk on 06/01/12 at 5:43 am

Here's one from The Netherlands...

Claw Boys Claw - Indian Wallpaper (1985)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg6FKo1y8G8

The Boys never made it to mainstream, although one of their songs ("Rosie") did make Dutch Top 40 in 1992.

Written By: meesa on 06/01/12 at 8:08 am

Lots of stuff I haven't heard of. Maybe I should go check them out.

K's Choice have had several hit records in their home country Belgium (and neighbouring Holland as well). Not sure if you're aware.
The Smiths, The Strokes, Mumford & Sons, Muse... I consider those to be mainstream. Still great bands, though! :)

I didn't know that about K's Choice. Showing my ignorance!

You are correct in your assessment of the other bands, they have had airplay, I guess I consider them Indie or Alternative because when I started listening to them, they were not well known!  :)

Written By: whistledog on 06/01/12 at 8:25 pm

I don't know if I would consider Lights Indie or Alternative.  She is electropop and has had a total of 8 hits here in her native Canada since 2008

One rock band I absolutely love hail from Scotland and they are called Glasvegas.  Their 2008 self-titled debut album produced 2 Top 40 hits in the UK with Geraldine and Daddy's Gone.  I loved those songs so much that I rushed out and bought the album and after a full listen, made it my favourite album of the 2000s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGOCEOsBE3w http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAn9BCroCMg&ob=av2n

Geraldine is a downloadable track in the game 'Rock Band'.  I was so excited when I saw that

Written By: Henk on 06/02/12 at 1:12 am

I don't know if I would consider Lights Indie or Alternative.  She is electropop and has had a total of 8 hits here in her native Canada since 2008

One rock band I absolutely love hail from Scotland and they are called Glasvegas.  Their 2008 self-titled debut album produced 2 Top 40 hits in the UK with Geraldine and Daddy's Gone.  I loved those songs so much that I rushed out and bought the album and after a full listen, made it my favourite album of the 2000s.

Videos are not available for viewing in my country. :(

Written By: nally on 06/02/12 at 1:17 am

You are correct in your assessment of the other bands, they have had airplay, I guess I consider them Indie or Alternative because when I started listening to them, they were not well known!  :)

The same can be said about certain groups I have heard about, but have had limited radio airplay.

Written By: Henk on 06/02/12 at 1:38 am

I wouldn't want to call it ignorance. I can't expect everyone to know everything about every charting song worldwide. ;) OTOH: to actually KNOW all this stuff from memory...now that would disturb me. Thankfully Google is my friend.

Written By: nally on 04/26/15 at 12:20 am

A year or two ago, a band called Echosmith, which has been classified as "indie" pop, entered the music scene and had a hit with "Cool Kids"; this is one that I really seem to like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CibjkFL2yfc

Written By: Ripley on 10/16/15 at 2:38 pm

There are so many depending on genre and sub genre.  But my #1 band is Type O Negative which is Goth Rock.  As for Alternative specifically its Tonic.

Check for new replies or respond here...