inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I Have A Weird, Weird Problem

Written By: lebeiw15 on 10/02/04 at 9:09 pm

You'll all probably be like "what the heck is your problem, dude?", and I really don't know what this is all about, but.. I cannot eat food at other people's houses.  If someone brings me food, I simply cannot eat it.  Someone can bring me candy or chips or food in its orignal package only, and I just might eat it.  It's so weird.  I'm not afraid of a friend or person poisoning the food, so I don't know what it's all about.  We go to restaurants all the time, and I have no problem with that.  But other than restaurants and places like that, the only food/drink I feel safe eating is out of my own home.  Does anybobyd else have this problem or know someone who has acted like this?  I haven't told anyone about this because it sounds so embarrassing and stupid, but definitely true.  I'm kind of a germophobic person, so that may have something to do with it.  I don't know what my deal is.

Subject: Re: I Have A Weird, Weird Problem

Written By: Jessica on 10/02/04 at 9:55 pm

It sounds like an offshoot of the germ problem. It's not a big deal, unless you totally go ballistic and run out of their house screaming. ;D

And you're not alone. I have heard of people who feel the same way. :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/02/04 at 11:03 pm

I agree with Jessica ;)

Written By: Bobby on 10/04/04 at 4:40 am

It certainly sounds like an anxiety reaction, Lebeiw. A lot of people have problems eating at other people's houses. It can depend on how close you are to that person (friend, relation etc).

It may be a (social?) phobia or even a very mild form of OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder). Regardless, I would talk to a counsellor about it, Lebeiw, so that you can feel better about it.  :)

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 10/04/04 at 8:18 am

Just kidding here L-15 :  ;)

In best Dr Freud voice  ::) :

"Your anxiety is undoubtedly ze manifestation of your inadequacies suffered as ze child.  You should blame your muzzer."  :)

Then again, maybe you don't just like eating at other's houses !  :)

Written By: KimberIndy on 10/04/04 at 4:23 pm

I'll eat anybody's food. Bring it on!  ::)

Written By: jaytee on 10/05/04 at 8:05 am

You'll all probably be like "what the heck is your problem, dude?", and I really don't know what this is all about, but.. I cannot eat food at other people's houses.  If someone brings me food, I simply cannot eat it.  Someone can bring me candy or chips or food in its orignal package only, and I just might eat it.  It's so weird.  I'm not afraid of a friend or person poisoning the food, so I don't know what it's all about.  We go to restaurants all the time, and I have no problem with that.  But other than restaurants and places like that, the only food/drink I feel safe eating is out of my own home.  Does anybobyd else have this problem or know someone who has acted like this?  I haven't told anyone about this because it sounds so embarrassing and stupid, but definitely true.  I'm kind of a germophobic person, so that may have something to do with it.  I don't know what my deal is.

I wouldn't get overly worried about it lebeiw.  I don't buy home made cakes or sweets from stalls.  I only like eating at certain people's homes.  It used to worry me when I was your age but now that I'm older it really doesn't bother me in the least.  It's just me. :)  The older you get and the more people you meet you realise there are lots of people out there with their idiosyncrasies.

Written By: Jennifer028 on 10/05/04 at 9:29 am

I'm like that sometimes too.  I'm fine at resturants but at some people's houses I may feel weird eating something someone else has prepared or touched  :)

Written By: Billy Florio on 10/05/04 at 7:48 pm

are you, by any chance, James Bond?  ::)

Written By: Howard on 10/05/04 at 8:42 pm

I don't have that problem at all. I guess it's all about the "trust". :)

Howard

Written By: lebeiw15 on 10/05/04 at 8:57 pm

I dunno--it's not that I don't "trust" people, it's more of a "not feeling comfortable eating their food" type of thing.  Don't really know why, either.  I can't even eat at my best friend's houses.  I guess it's good to know there are others like me out there too.

Written By: Ripp on 10/06/04 at 8:35 am

My sister has the same problem. So do I! I can't eat over anyone's house.

And if i'm in a restraunt, I have to sit up the corner, incase anyone gets too close to me and, say, spits on my food accidently, or even coughs a bit, but that's me and I don't let it worry me. But I thought me and my sister were the only ones!

Check for new replies or respond here...