inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Please explain to me...

Written By: KimberIndy on 10/04/04 at 12:52 pm

...about the stars-and-ranking system around here. And please tell me, for the love of all that's good and holy, what the hell is a McVitie? Isn't it something British, which I am not? Help a gal out here, 'cause I'm feelin' like a tard.  :-\\

Subject: Re: Please explain to me...

Written By: Davester on 10/04/04 at 1:15 pm

Post more, rise in rank faster.

Written By: Bobo on 10/04/04 at 1:20 pm

Okay, well.. the ranking system works as follows:

Each time someone goes up a ranking, which happens at certain levels, I think 0, 25, 50, 100, 250, 500, 1000, etc etc... (we're not sure where it ends yet. Chucky hasn't given us any indication that it plateaus at 5,000 or 10,000 or what as yet). And I can't remember the rankings off the top of my head.. maybe someone else could help me.

As for a McVitie (being the expert on British chocolate snacks that I am), they are (amongst other things) a Great British chocolate manufacturer, owned by, if memory serves, United Biscuits, proliferator of those marvellous things, Jaffa Cakes.

I hope this helps. I couldn't find McVitie mentioned in any other context, though, other than a family name.

Written By: KimberIndy on 10/04/04 at 1:50 pm

Thanks Bobo! I knew McVitie was a British candy manufacturer, but I wasn't sure if there was some other secret meaning here! I just like to know these things...

Written By: nally on 10/04/04 at 3:05 pm

Chucky hasn't given us any indication that it plateaus at 5,000 or 10,000 or what as yet).

Not so...a few of us (including me) have broken the 5000 mark; the ranking there is Badtz Maru. I guess the next stop is 10,000.

Written By: Bobo on 10/04/04 at 3:13 pm

We'll find out soon enough, I guess!

Not so...a few of us (including me) have broken the 5000 mark; the ranking there is Badtz Maru. I guess the next stop is 10,000.

Written By: mrgazpacho on 10/04/04 at 7:18 pm

Thanks Bobo! I knew McVitie was a British candy manufacturer, but I wasn't sure if there was some other secret meaning here! I just like to know these things...

Actually, if you dig around, you'll find that the membership rankings are all related to penguins in one way or another (it used to be "Calvin and Hobbes" stuff, but we apparently had a revolution :D ).

You'll notice that the members-only madness forum is called the "Playful Penguin Place"... ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/04/04 at 9:27 pm

And YOU being the first to get there, should be able to enlighten us, Jeff ;)

Written By: nally on 10/04/04 at 9:53 pm

And YOU being the first to get there, should be able to enlighten us, Jeff ;)

Who knows? You're catching up to me; maybe you might get there first. I'm pretty sure either you or me will get there first. ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/04/04 at 10:41 pm

Who knows? You're catching up to me; maybe you might get there first. I'm pretty sure either you or me will get there first. ;)
Either way is fine with me, but I believe YOU will be the first ;)

Written By: KimberIndy on 10/04/04 at 10:48 pm

Apparently, I've been promoted to PINGU. I have absolutely no idea what that is, but I'm bettin' it's penguin-related...

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/04/04 at 10:50 pm

Apparently, I've been promoted to PINGU. I have absolutely no idea what that is, but I'm bettin' it's penguin-related...
Yep...it's a big happy penguin family here :)

Written By: Bobo on 10/04/04 at 11:43 pm

Pingu is a Swiss Childrens' TV series, bought by Hit Entertainment for the UK, concerning a penguin named Pingu and his sister Pinga, made using ClayMation technology. 156 episodes were made.

Written By: KimberIndy on 10/05/04 at 12:05 am

Pingu is a Swiss Childrens' TV series, bought by Hit Entertainment for the UK, concerning a penguin named Pingu and his sister Pinga, made using ClayMation technology. 156 episodes were made.

Thanks Bobo! My knowledge of Swiss children's TV is sketchy at best.  ;)

Written By: ktelqueen on 10/05/04 at 12:10 am

Thanks Bobo! My knowledge of Swiss children's TV is sketchy at best.  ;)

;D

Written By: Bobo on 10/05/04 at 12:12 am

;D Ahh, you'll be surprised where this kinda information gets me..!

Thanks Bobo! My knowledge of Swiss children's TV is sketchy at best. ;)

Written By: karen on 10/05/04 at 3:47 am

My two children love Pingu.

Written By: KimberIndy on 10/06/04 at 7:37 pm

I had to go and get my penguin knowlege on...

This website helped a LOT. http://www.monyscurry.com/famouspeng.htm  Now I even know that Wheezy is from Toy Story 2!!

Penguins RULE!!!

Written By: Mona on 10/13/04 at 2:45 pm

;D Ahh, you'll be surprised where this kinda information gets me..!

Where does it get you?  ;D

Written By: Bobo on 10/13/04 at 3:13 pm

A quick health warning guys. Never read this board while drinking Coca Cola! The effect is just mindblowingly wrong.

Let's put it this way: there are probably Help: Wanted signs all over Neuchâtel by now!

Where does it get you? ;D

Written By: Howard on 10/13/04 at 7:37 pm

I had to go and get my penguin knowlege on...

This website helped a LOT. http://www.monyscurry.com/famouspeng.htm  Now I even know that Wheezy is from Toy Story 2!!

Penguins RULE!!!

Wow.So,that's where all the new names of the Penguins come from. :o

Howard

Check for new replies or respond here...