inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What was the...

Written By: KimberIndy on 10/05/04 at 9:02 am

first album you bought? (Or CD or cassette tape, for those of you who are a bit younger!)

My first album was Queen, News of the World. I saved up my babysitting money, and annoyingly pestered my mom to take me to Ayr-Way to buy it. I listened to it endlessly, and I still have it.

Subject: Re: What was the...

Written By: Jennifer028 on 10/05/04 at 9:27 am

My very first tape was Madonna "Like a Virgin" in 1984.  I was 9  :)

But I remember having ONE record album of "We are the world"  so that MAY have been first!

Written By: sputnikcorp on 10/05/04 at 9:49 am

i bought the star wars soundtrack on 8-track with the pitiful amount of allowance money i recieved. actually, my father helped out a lot with buying it...a few years ago i found that soundtrack and i dusted off my parents old 8-track player....the tape was so old it snapped, thus ruining one of my favourite childhood memories.. :\'(

Written By: elefanten on 10/05/04 at 10:07 am

The first i stille have is Wired-UP (a collection of Post-Grunge, Alternative Rock/Metal, Nu Metal, Pop-Punk and Garage Punk)

Written By: ktelqueen on 10/05/04 at 11:15 am

other than getting my own records as gifts when i was really young,the first record i bought on my own was Pop Muzik by M(the 45  :))
i then proceeded to spend almost all of my allowance/babysitting money in years to follow on 45's and albums..

Written By: karen on 10/05/04 at 11:18 am

The first one I can remember buying was a half share in the Grease (double?) album.  One of my brothers owns the other half.  The next one was probably The Changeling by Toyah, which I still have.

Written By: Harmonica on 10/05/04 at 12:51 pm

The first tape I ever got that was for me was "Some Gave All" Billy Ray Cyrus.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/05/04 at 1:46 pm

the first bought by my own money was Debbie Gibson's Out of the Blue. All of my albums up to that point was bought by my dad.

Tanya

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/05/04 at 1:58 pm

......."The Partridge Family" LP in 1970...then I started buying Beatles and Wings Lps.

Written By: Billy Florio on 10/05/04 at 4:01 pm

Tuesday Night Music Club-Sheryl Crow

Written By: gemini61 on 10/05/04 at 4:02 pm

I bought 45's before albums, I remember getting Donny Osmond 45 "Sweet & Innocent" and "Puppy Love".  I know, I know, don't even say it. Geez, I was young, ok!!  ;  ;D Can't even remember what my first album was, probably the Monkees or the Partridge Family    :)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 10/05/04 at 4:42 pm

The first cassette I remember buying was a compilation which contained the songs "Just The Way You Are" (Billy Joel) and "Rhinestone Cowboy" (Glen Campbell), among others.  That was in 1977.  :)

Written By: Davester on 10/05/04 at 4:47 pm

Well, not that I bought, but was bought for me when I was but a wee lad...

Had to be either Black Bear Road - C.W. McCall, Rock-N-Roll Over - KISS or Best Of - Bread.  Vinyl, of course....

Written By: Dagwood on 10/05/04 at 8:02 pm

I can't remember, it was either Cannonball and Harvey (a local kids show) or The Smurfs.

Written By: mandamoo on 10/05/04 at 8:53 pm

My very first album was 'Let It Be' in 1970, which was bought for me.

The very first one that I bought and paid for myself was a cassette, 'Explosive Hits 1973'.

Written By: Paul on 10/06/04 at 7:26 am

The first piece of plastic I could safely call 'my own' (as no-one else would admit to it...!!) was Little Jim's 'Long-Haired Lover From Liverpool'...

Hey I was only 34 at the time...!!

I think the first thing I bought outright on my own steam (and it took months of saving up) was ELO's 'Out Of The Blue' LP - and a double LP too, no wonder it took months...!!

Written By: Michelle on 10/06/04 at 3:05 pm

AKNF by Sum 41 was the first one I bought for myself. After that terrifying stage of pop punk I moved on to AFI and it has been beautiful....

(modified for spelling error *d'oh!*)

Written By: Bobby on 10/06/04 at 5:27 pm

'Now that's what I call music 32'.

Written By: bbigd04 on 10/06/04 at 7:12 pm

The first things that come to mind are REM monster and Greatest Rock Hits of the 80s. I got those right after I got my first CD player in 1994.

Written By: zcrito on 10/07/04 at 1:10 pm

My very first album was "Stand!" by Sly & The Family Stone, in 1970. I also bought a Grand Funk Railroad "On Time" and an odd Hendrix "best of", but I really didn't start buying albums again until a couple of years later...
Crosby & Nash,
JT's Thick as a Brick,
Uriah Heep's Ds&Ws,
Pink Floyd (and other "space rock" bands),
etc.

A local radio station used to come out with a weekly top-40 countdown sheet where song rankings were based on listener requests and sales. On the second part of the sheet it had the weekly top 30 albums and that list was based solely on sales. This is where my love of rankings and the top N of anything probably started. I used to buy albums based on these lists, and sometimes I'd buy an album of a group I've never even heard anything of -- AM radio wouldn't play any of their stuff (Allman Brothers' "Eat A Peach" comes to mind).

Note: buying an album of a group you never heard of is risky business for a teenager with limited money supplies. I once came close to buying "Amazing Grace" by the The Royal Scots Dragoon Guard !

Sometimes I didn't have to buy any albums since my sister bought certain things, and so did my brother and my friends. Everybody had different tastes in music and bought different albums so I had access to all kinds of music when I was a teenager.

;)
:)

Written By: Bobo on 10/08/04 at 2:00 pm

My copy of which announces track 36, Don't You Want Me by The Human League, as a "seven foot remix", Bobby..!

'Now that's what I call music 32'.

Check for new replies or respond here...