inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Big let downs

Written By: Alchoholica on 10/06/04 at 6:13 am

Grrrrr has any one else been messed around this week.

I just recieved a letter in the mail from the company who i thought had taken me on. It explained how they wouldnt be processing my details any further, this would be fine if they hadnt, at the interview, told me when i would start training, agreed my basic needs and all but had me sign a contract.

But the real annoying thing is, i turned down an interview at another place because these guys had basically said yeah you fit the mold were good to go..

Is it just me, or are we all pawns?

Subject: Re: Big let downs

Written By: danootaandme on 10/06/04 at 6:59 am

My life became less frustrating when I realized that yes, I, and everyone I know,
am just a pawn in the big chess game.  Expendable without a second thought.  :(

Written By: Alchoholica on 10/06/04 at 7:06 am

And the only way to win is... we'll if you find it tell me ok

Written By: Alchoholica on 10/06/04 at 7:13 am

We'll hey i have known worse ways.. My friend Laura once got e-mailed telling her not to come in to work the next day, she had been off sick for three days, however here's the catch. She had Pnumonia, yeah sure, she was obviously just faking it  ::)

And you would think there would be some sort of law against that, but apparently if you look at your contract, chances are you can be fired for just about anything  :o

Written By: danootaandme on 10/06/04 at 8:27 am

And the only way to win is... we'll if you find it tell me ok

Don't give in, and don't feel guilty.

Written By: Ripp on 10/06/04 at 8:29 am

I can't play chess...does that mean I'm a pawn that will never make a move?

;)

I have found a cool game. Just one of those chess boards..."Avatar High". All the people there are the little pawns...you can give them B.O and give them a crush!

Search Avatar High for it.

But I guess I have the big "Turn on the Lights" of life. ;D

I make one move...and get rid of a move I might've made before!

Written By: Alchoholica on 10/06/04 at 8:35 am

Hey good call, Avatar High is neat

Written By: Ripp on 10/06/04 at 11:59 am

Oh, imagine if two people playing the same game, making people, could click "Join up with..." and you could choose a school! (for avatar high)

So your characters could interact. And you could be the head! Make the rules, and interact properly! But you can also give them a crush and B.O.! lol...

Written By: Alchoholica on 10/06/04 at 12:02 pm

somebody wants a little too much control me thinkls  :)

Written By: Powerslave on 10/06/04 at 4:22 pm

Slaves to the power we are.

Bad luck on the job letter Alchy. I had a firm do that to me once. It bites.

Written By: Bobby on 10/06/04 at 5:22 pm

Yeah. Business is business and it takes little empathetic interest in the worker. I was dismayed to find that I had to book my holiday from work 12 months in advance. I was even more dismayed to find that, if the business had their way, they would have made us book holiday 18 months in advance!

In response to Danoota, sometimes recognising your role can be a relief. I know my job but there are people who get promoted and demoted at will. These people will never rest in their quest for ambition (and will mainly find themselves dissapointed).  ;)

Written By: Howard on 10/06/04 at 9:32 pm

I used to overcome adversity myself but I knew I had courage to climb the mountain. :)

Howard

Written By: Alchoholica on 10/07/04 at 12:32 pm

That's not unethical, that's just plain mean!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/07/04 at 12:37 pm

Want another good one?  Hubby's company sent out a mass email to all the employees saying if they had unused vacation days, they had to use them during a certain week...which was the week they were holding a major conference that most employees were supposed to attend :P  Oh,and this was sent out 2 days after they sent out another stating that no employees could take vacation during the last 2 weeks of the "fiscal year"...guess when the conference was ??? ::)
That's "Satanic" >:(

Written By: Alchoholica on 10/07/04 at 12:41 pm

'Fight The Power'

Man i hate big corporations... i think everyone does... meh.. wait 'till the revolt!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/07/04 at 12:52 pm

'Fight The Power'

Man i hate big corporations... i think everyone does... meh.. wait 'till the revolt!
I LOVE my little $110 job for doing a 3 hour route for a local paper once a week. Of course I do other jobs as well, but I worked for the "Man" long enough :P

Written By: Alchoholica on 10/07/04 at 12:53 pm

Your kidding me, you get $110 for doing a paper route, or have a i misunderstood you?

Written By: Davester on 10/07/04 at 12:55 pm

Yeah, that sucks. The bit about the letter is nothing new, though.  A potential employer usually won't ask you over to give you the bad news over coffee.

Written By: Alchoholica on 10/07/04 at 1:01 pm

Well yeah, but that's not what got me all P.O'd... it was the fact that they had all but given me the contract to sign before slamming the door in my face.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/07/04 at 1:05 pm

Want another good one?  Hubby's company sent out a mass email to all the employees saying if they had unused vacation days, they had to use them during a certain week...which was the week they were holding a major conference that most employees were supposed to attend :P  Oh,and this was sent out 2 days after they sent out another stating that no employees could take vacation during the last 2 weeks of the "fiscal year"...guess when the conference was ??? ::)

That really bites.

I have to say, I am so glad I am not out there in the "real world". Been there, done that. I have had my fill of employors jerking me around. I am lucky that I am in a position where I don't have to work outside the home. I must admit that sometimes I do feel guilty because I know there are so many people who do have to. I don't work because I choose not to because of all the b.s. that people have mentioned here-plus so much more.

Cat

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/07/04 at 2:20 pm

Your kidding me, you get $110 for doing a paper route, or have a i misunderstood you?
Yep...I make 82 stops at downtown businesses and usually am done in 3 hours. Now if I could get one or two like that I'd be all set :D

Written By: Alchoholica on 10/07/04 at 2:47 pm

wow! that's freakin excellent. That's like nearly $40 an hour, and no travel costs.. sweet.

Written By: Bobby on 10/07/04 at 5:39 pm

Absolutely disgusting, cheerleader. We use a union (not sure how much difference that makes when all is said and done) to 'help' the common worker. Does your husband have union representation?

Written By: Dagwood on 10/07/04 at 7:26 pm

I applied for a job and they contacted me wanting an interview.  Of course that is when I find out it is in Park City, up a canyon and I can't drive my 2 wheel drive pick up in the canyon in the winter.  I had to turn down the opportunity.  It was a great fit, too.

The lady emailed me back, though and said that I looked like I had a lot to offer a company and she was sure I would have a good job soon.  And, it shows people are actually looking at my resume.

Written By: Howard on 10/07/04 at 7:54 pm

I was just about to get ready to finally see this girl last week from my Friendship Network place and to meet her for coffee and walk around and then she calls me 2 days in advance and says that she has to cancel cause her Mother doesn't want her to drive the car far. >:(

Howard

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/07/04 at 11:35 pm

wow! that's freakin excellent. That's like nearly $40 an hour, and no travel costs.. sweet.
It's sweet all right but I wouldn't mind another job just like it :)

Written By: Alchoholica on 10/08/04 at 4:39 am

Yeah, we'll i just need an income, i will be going to university pretty soon, like 9 months or so... so i basically need to build up a good cash base and this job was perfect, it was like 7-2 (nights) so it would have allowed me to complete all my work and still have like 5 hours sleep... which is what i normally get anyway  ::)

Written By: karen on 10/08/04 at 5:41 am

I guess you just need to keep looking.

Some of the supermarkets and places (Post Office?) will be recruiting soon in the run up to Christmas.  It's very menial work but if you're working nights you're not out on the town to spend it.

Written By: Alchoholica on 10/08/04 at 5:43 am

We'll yeah but, Menial and me don't mix, i can do it but... I get bored easy, like i have to stay occupied but i can't just do the same thing over and over again, people would find bits of my hand in there cards after i'd experimented with the sorting machine  ;D

Written By: Allie Fox on 12/02/04 at 5:53 pm

I have to say that Christmas is a huge letdown now that (thanks to giant retail chains) it starts in September.  To see the Valentine's cards being put out on December 26th is awful. ::)

Written By: Bobby on 12/02/04 at 6:53 pm

Wrestling computer games are big let downs (expecially ones on X-Box).

Roll on Wrestlemania XXI!  :D

Written By: Howard on 12/02/04 at 7:37 pm

When you plan on doing something with someone then it starts to rain. :(

Howard

Check for new replies or respond here...