inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Dental Horror Stories

Written By: Michelle on 10/07/04 at 2:37 pm

Braces for unholy amounts of time, retainers, surgery? Share it all, my pretties!

Subject: Re: Dental Horror Stories

Written By: Niko101 on 10/07/04 at 7:54 pm

Well, mine's not so much horrific as it is gross. When I was 16, my dentist took my wisdom teeth out. They hadn't grown in at all yet...he basically "cut" them out before I had to deal with them. So, there I was in the chair, laughing gas flowing.  :D  Whenever I would get worried, scared, bored, whatever, I would just look at my dentist's beautiful blue eyes. This time, he had a sort of clear plastic full-face mask on. After a little while of looking up at his eyes, I started to wonder why he was wearing the mask. Then it happened...SQUIRT!  As he cut into my gums with a scalpel, a blast of blood flew from the back of my mouth out and across his mask! Ewwww. Of course, I was so high from the laughing gas that I didn't get embarassed until hours later at home.

As for braces, one of my best friends in school had to wear them from 5th grade until our Senior year. WTF?! And I never even remembered her teeth being crooked before that.  ???

Written By: Howard on 10/07/04 at 8:00 pm

From 1974-1984 I had sucked my thumb till the time I was 10 years old.I wound up with buck teeth almost looking like a bunny rabbit's front teeth. In 1985,I wound up with braces and had to wear them for 3 years.I had gotten retainers to wear after.to this day,I lisp somewhat.

Howard

Written By: gemini61 on 10/07/04 at 8:20 pm

OHHHH, you don't wanna know!  :o

Written By: Howard on 10/07/04 at 8:22 pm

OHHHH, you don't wanna know!  :o

sure,why not.I'd like to know. ;)

Howard

Written By: Ripp on 10/08/04 at 4:12 pm

My dental horror story?

Molar.

Loose.

Ripped out.

Blood.

Not nice.

Want a picture? ;D

Written By: KimberIndy on 10/08/04 at 5:08 pm

I've been blessed with great teeth. However, I worked as a dental assistant for several years. OMG, the stories I could tell you about the crap we flossed out of people's mouths. ICK.

Remember: FLOSS IS YOUR FRIEND.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 10/08/04 at 6:03 pm

I've had 8 cavities before but with proper brushing,I don't have them anymore.

Howard

Written By: Howard on 10/08/04 at 6:04 pm

I've been blessed with great teeth. However, I worked as a dental assistant for several years. OMG, the stories I could tell you about the crap we flossed out of people's mouths. ICK.

Remember: FLOSS IS YOUR FRIEND.  ;D

I have a question,How come when I keep flossing I keep getting saliva on it and not the food particle? Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Howard

Written By: Fred on 10/09/04 at 2:24 am

From 1974-1984 I had sucked my thumb till the time I was 10 years old.I wound up with buck teeth almost looking like a bunny rabbit's front teeth. In 1985,I wound up with braces and had to wear them for 3 years.I had gotten retainers to wear after.to this day,I lisp somewhat.

Howard

That thucks, just kidding Howard.  :D Yes, I have had pain in one of my left molars for about 2 1/2 years now. I have had it capped and many different things, but I still can't eat on it yet.   >:(

Written By: Alchoholica on 10/09/04 at 5:34 am

The dentist wanted me to have braces for about a year and a half, we'll they were on such a short time i can hardly remember them, you see i never wanted them i was basically forced to. Anyway after about 3 months the wire at the back came loose and like was gouging in to my gum so i took them off... lol.. pliers and a screwdriver and i basically had it all out. The dentist put it back on again, 2 weeks later it was off. They were never put back on, but here's the thing, i have one tooth crooked, thats it, and according to the dentist i see now, there isn't much that could be done about that anyway. 

But yeah, wires coming loose, ooooohh god, imagine a sharp bit of metal loose in your mouth.. cus that's exactly what it is

Written By: Howard on 10/09/04 at 10:35 am

That thucks, just kidding Howard.  :D Yes, I have had pain in one of my left molars for about 2 1/2 years now. I have had it capped and many different things, but I still can't eat on it yet.   >:(

4 years ago Fred,I had wound up with 8 cavities and the drilling wasn't pretty.  :P The dentist had to put some tin foil covering to protect the teeth.I hope I never wind up with cavities again. :(

Howard

Written By: Howard on 10/09/04 at 10:37 am

In order for me to had gotten braces,they had knock me out with novocaine to pull teeth and I was drowsy for a while.My parents had to pick me up and drag me to the car to go home so I could get some sleep.

Howard

Written By: Michelle on 10/11/04 at 9:03 pm

well, time to reply to my own post...
my worst one happened at surgery 6 days ago. At first they had trouble finding a vein for the anesthesia needle, so they had to keep moving it around to find the right place, and then during the procedure the anethesia wore off prematurely and I woke up  :o  that was unnerving.

Written By: Howard on 03/10/17 at 2:05 pm

I never really had a dental horror story but I feared last April 2016 when it was time to pull both my wisdom teeth out of my mouth and it was quite painful because the teeth was crowding my mouth.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 03/14/17 at 5:01 pm

I never really had a dental horror story but I feared last April 2016 when it was time to pull both my wisdom teeth out of my mouth and it was quite painful because the teeth was crowding my mouth.

My wisdom tooth extractions weren't quite that bad since I had them done in 2 stages.  My bottom right tooth was impacted under the gums and required the expertise of a dental surgeon.  I just have to say that Tylenol 500 mg was my best friend along with other pain killers.
Has anyone else besides me had their wisdom teeth come in top right, bottom left, top left, bottom right?  Wowie zowie! My molars came in the same way.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/14/17 at 5:08 pm

The first time I went into the dentist around 1993/1994 hurt like h3ll!  8-P  8-P  :\'(

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 03/14/17 at 6:18 pm

The first time I went into the dentist around 1993/1994 hurt like h3ll!  8-P  8-P  :\'(

But have you ever had your teeth ripped out of your mouth before they've even broken the skin?

Written By: 80sfan on 03/14/17 at 6:23 pm

But have you ever had your teeth ripped out of your mouth before they've even broken the skin?

No!  Ow!  Sounds painful!  :o

But I was a sensitive kid, so lots of things bothered me, then!  :(

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 03/15/17 at 1:44 am

No!  Ow!  Sounds painful!  :o

But I was a sensitive kid, so lots of things bothered me, then!  :(

Me too.  I would always scream everytime the novacaine needle came out.  :( :( :(

Written By: Howard on 03/15/17 at 7:31 am

My wisdom tooth extractions weren't quite that bad since I had them done in 2 stages.  My bottom right tooth was impacted under the gums and required the expertise of a dental surgeon.  I just have to say that Tylenol 500 mg was my best friend along with other pain killers.
Has anyone else besides me had their wisdom teeth come in top right, bottom left, top left, bottom right?  Wowie zowie! My molars came in the same way.

Were you Novocained and how was the blood situation?

Written By: Howard on 03/15/17 at 7:32 am

What do you mean by that? ???

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 03/15/17 at 4:16 pm

Were you Novocained and how was the blood situation?

Yes I was.  But my bottom left one needed three shots of novacaine and the blood was not too bad.  :)

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 03/15/17 at 5:19 pm

What do you mean by that? ???

I mean have you ever had your gums cut opened and your teeth removed before they've even broken the gums?

Written By: Howard on 03/16/17 at 3:43 pm

Yes I was.  But my bottom left one needed three shots of novacaine and the blood was not too bad.  :)

A few of my wisdom teeth were crowding my mouth so after years and years it finally had to come out, I got Novocained and blood was dripping out my mouth so I needed gauze to help stop the blood. :o

and the price for teeth removal was quite expensive!

Written By: Howard on 03/16/17 at 3:44 pm

I mean have you ever had your gums cut opened and your teeth removed before they've even broken the gums?

No, I don't think I've had. ???

Check for new replies or respond here...