inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Green Stamps are gone, but S&H lives on

Written By: Sammy Reed on 10/12/04 at 11:26 pm

For those who don't know (and I just found this out), the S&H company that made Green Stamps is still going on - but without green stamps.
     Now, they're dealing in "Greenpoints" that you can get by using the "shopper cards" of the few grocery stores that are affiliated with the company. I guess grocery stores HAVE TO have those blasted cards in order to even have anything to do with S&H anymore, which is sad.
     Anyway, it seems like they're mostly becoming an online business now. Their website is www.greenpoints.com.
     Anyway, I'm wondering about those smaller-time companies that had their own versions of "green stamps" (like a company called Top Value that had yellow stamps). Are any of them still around anymore? Is there any grocery store you can go these days where you can fill up stamp books to get things? I doubt it, but it would be great to know about!

Subject: Re: Green Stamps are gone, but S&H lives on

Written By: danootaandme on 10/13/04 at 7:01 am

For those who don't know (and I just found this out), the S&H company that made Green Stamps is still going on - but without green stamps.
    Now, they're dealing in "Greenpoints" that you can get by using the "shopper cards" of the few grocery stores that are affiliated with the company. I guess grocery stores HAVE TO have those blasted cards in order to even have anything to do with S&H anymore, which is sad.
    Anyway, it seems like they're mostly becoming an online business now. Their website is www.greenpoints.com.
    Anyway, I'm wondering about those smaller-time companies that had their own versions of "green stamps" (like a company called Top Value that had yellow stamps). Are any of them still around anymore? Is there any grocery store you can go these days where you can fill up stamp books to get things? I doubt it, but it would be great to know about!

I remember S&H greenstamps "your surest sign of thrifty shopping". We used to save them up
and thought one day we'e have enough for something big, but my dad always used them saying you never know when they might be no good.  They were fun though.

Written By: joedeertae on 10/13/04 at 8:26 am

OMG!! :o I remember these ;D When I was growing up my best friend and I decided he would raid his mom's green stamps and I would raid my grandmother's green stamps to see what we could get. My grandmother gave us a ride to the green stamp store and to our surprise we had enough stamps for a tent, two "rambo" knives and a flashlight. Man, we were cool 8). Also, to our surprise... our folks were not the least bit amused when they figured out where we got our stamps! Who knew they would be THAT ticked off, I mean "it wasn't like were asking them for money or anything." Ooohhh... that comment didn't go over to well either. :( It took a lot of dish washing and hanging out the laundry and such to work that one off! But, it was worth the memory. ;)

Oh yeah... thanks for the info and the brief step back in time Sammy Reed. ;)

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/16/04 at 3:17 pm

My Mum used to collect King Korn stamps, very much like S&H Green Stamps.  She goty me this cool brass-plated record rack with the stamps.  :)

Now she gets S&H Greenpoints at the store she goes to, but you need like a quadrillion points to get anything cool. :-\\

Written By: gemini61 on 10/16/04 at 4:39 pm

I remember my mom saving Top Value Stamps. Same as S & H Green Stamps I suppose. Those things were in books and out of books laying all over the place. I don't have any idea what she ever got with them, if anything. But, I know we used to look at the catalog alot.  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/16/04 at 6:23 pm

I remember the green stamps too. I remember we used to have a whole bunch of books full but I don't remember cashing them in-I am assuming my mother did.

Cat

Written By: Paul on 10/16/04 at 6:41 pm

I'm guessing it's the same thing, but over here we had 'Green Shield Stamps'...sort-of a prototype of those storecard loyalty cards you get nowadays...but all-in-all, still a bit of a con - spending the equivalent of a year's salary would get you a colander, or something...!!

Guess who got the job of sticking the things in the books? It's a wonder I've still got a tongue left...!!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/16/04 at 7:25 pm

WOW! I remember them as a child.

Check for new replies or respond here...