inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Yet another reason to like Utah!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/13/04 at 8:54 am

I live in Colorado Springs. About 10 years ago they replaced all the street signs in town with bigger ones but in doing so they omitted the numbers from them. In Utah they ONLY have numbered streets which I like very much. It's SO easy to find my way around down there! Before my ex and two of my sons moved there..and the fact that Dagny also lives there, I had very few if ANY reasons to like Utah (The numbered streets, my ex and 2 boys and Dagny out number the weird "Liquor" stores and the mormons) :-X! What are your thoughts on the street system there :)

Subject: Re: Yet another reason to like Utah!

Written By: zcrito on 10/13/04 at 9:58 am

I've never been to Utah.

"weird "Liquor" stores" ??  ???

:)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/13/04 at 12:44 pm

I've never been to Utah.

"weird "Liquor" stores" ??  ???

Well...not so much the stores as the laws there. The Liquor stores are State owned and are square block buildings that charge about 3 times what liqour costs here. If you go to a bar you have to pay a "Membership" fee and then go next door and buy the shot...then bring it into the bar and they make it for you.....But as I said, I love the system for thier streets :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/13/04 at 12:49 pm

I have been through Utah once coming back from L.A. We did stop at Zion National Park which was incredible. I don't remember the streets because we mainly stuck to the interstate. But, I thought the scenery was awesome.

Cat

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/13/04 at 1:00 pm

I have been through Utah once coming back from L.A. We did stop at Zion National Park which was incredible. I don't remember the streets because we mainly stuck to the interstate. But, I thought the scenery was awesome.

Cat
http://www.zionnationalpark.com/park_images/eveningLight_large.jpg
It really is beautiful!

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/13/04 at 1:07 pm

I've never been to Utah, but the street system alone is ingenius. It eliminates the search for ridiculous or overused street names in directions.

Tanya

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/13/04 at 1:33 pm

I've never been to Utah, but the street system alone is ingenius. It eliminates the search for ridiculous or overused street names in directions.

Tanya
I know what you mean. The "Center" of where I live is Nevada Avenue (North/South and Bijou (East/West)....In Utah it's so much better....my son Paul lives 27 blocks South and 15 blocks East of the center of town....simple :)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/13/04 at 1:59 pm

I know what you mean. The "Center" of where I live is Nevada Avenue (North/South and Bijou (East/West)....In Utah it's so much better....my son Paul lives 27 blocks South and 15 blocks East of the center of town....simple :)

sounds quite simple to me! Southern California is another set of map/direction drama altogether.

Tanya

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/13/04 at 2:18 pm

sounds quite simple to me! Southern California is another set of map/direction drama altogether.

Tanya
So I've heard! All I know is "Stay out of Compton"  :o

Written By: zcrito on 10/13/04 at 3:36 pm

In Utah they ONLY have numbered streets which I like very much.

Okay, another question from a non-Utahonian (?).

So, every street has a name like "1st", "2nd", 3rd", etc. ?? ???
Or are you talking about another way. Could you explain please?

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/13/04 at 4:31 pm

Okay, another question from a non-Utahonian (?).

So, every street has a name like "1st", "2nd", 3rd", etc. ?? ???
Or are you talking about another way. Could you explain please?

1 block west and 3 blocks south of center is 100W. 300 S.

Written By: Dagwood on 10/13/04 at 6:31 pm

1 block west and 3 blocks south of center is 100W. 300 S.

What he said.  Utah addresses are on a grid system.  Starting at West Temple (this is Utah, after all, and the temple is the center of town) one block south is 100 South, two blocks is 200 South etc.  It goes the same north, east and west.  I love it because it makes addresses easy to find.  There are named streets here, but they also are assigned a number also so you can find it.  For example my mom lived on Hollywood Ave which was also 1920 S.  Say what you want to about Brigham Young, but he came up with a great system for streets.

Written By: Fred on 10/13/04 at 6:42 pm

so like they only have stuff like 350th Ave. and 127th St. ? Cool.  ;)

Written By: DJ Midas on 10/17/04 at 5:32 pm

Is all of Utah like that or just Salt Lake City?  ???

Phoenix is sort of set up the same way.  The whole city and suburbs are set up on a grid.  Predominantly streets that run North-South are numbered (Street, Place, Way east of the zero point thoroughfare, named Central Avenue, and Avenue, Drive and Lane west of Central) and they coordinate with the numbering system (ie 35th Avenue is the 3500 west block).  The streets that run East-West are named, and quite a few of the main roads stay the same name from the eastside (Mesa) all the way west to Litchfield.

Which is yet another reason why I like Phoenix.  ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/17/04 at 5:52 pm

Is all of Utah like that or just Salt Lake City?  ???

Phoenix is sort of set up the same way.  The whole city and suburbs are set up on a grid.  Predominantly streets that run North-South are numbered (Street, Place, Way east of the zero point thoroughfare, named Central Avenue, and Avenue, Drive and Lane west of Central) and they coordinate with the numbering system (ie 35th Avenue is the 3500 west block).  The streets that run East-West are named, and quite a few of the main roads stay the same name from the eastside (Mesa) all the way west to Litchfield.

Which is yet another reason why I like Phoenix.  ;)
I lived there in the mid 80's between Apache Junction and Mesa, right off of the Superstition Freeway,and loved it...my neice lives in Phoenix and feels the same :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/17/04 at 5:55 pm

Tulsa is set up pretty much the same way. The major streets that run east-west are 1st (downtown), 11th, 21st, 31st, etc. The streets north/south are named streets. It is the small streets that gets very confusing because they have 63rd Place right next to 63rd Ave, which is next to 63rd Street. OY VEY!!!  ::)

Cat

Written By: Dagwood on 10/17/04 at 6:54 pm

so like they only have stuff like 350th Ave. and 127th St. ? Cool. ;)

Actually there aren't many St or Ave.  Mostly it would be like 300 South or 100 West, etc.  There is an area of Avenues in SLC, but they are A Ave, B Ave, etc.

This is in place all over Utah.  It makes it easy to find addresses.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/17/04 at 6:58 pm

Actually there aren't many St or Ave.  Mostly it would be like 300 South or 100 West, etc.  There is an area of Avenues in SLC, but they are A Ave, B Ave, etc.

This is in place all over Utah.  It makes it easy to find addresses.
Sure enough...I met Ella in 1982 when I lived on L Street!

Written By: danootaandme on 10/18/04 at 8:12 am

In South Boston the streets are lettered A st. B st. C st etc.  going west to east.  When the city
planners mapped it out they did it that way because the prevailing attitude was that the
Irish(then and now main inhabitants) weren't very bright and this is the only way they would
be able to negotiate their way home.  Everyone knows that if you live on a lettered street you
are from Southie. ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...