inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Anyone know anything about spiders?

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/15/04 at 8:23 am

http://www.worcestermass.com/OctoberWeb/images/MomSpider.jpg

I'm curious as to what's living in my mother's hedge (she has several of these nasty buggers) they're at least an inch or two in size.

I also need to spray for spiders at my house (according to my wife).  Something I've never done before.  I never even heard of anybody spraying for spiders.  What do I use?

Subject: Re: Anyone know anything about spiders?

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/15/04 at 8:25 am

http://www.worcestermass.com/OctoberWeb/MomSpider.jpg

link to a larger image (as if you wanted that)

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 10/15/04 at 8:55 am

Where I live it's quite common to spray for spiders, Chuck.

Mind you, we have ones (Redbacks and Funnel Webs) that can kill you with a single bite  :(  If i had my way i would spray them with a flamethrower  :D

I do know however, that spraying isn't always effective.  So whatever you do, just be sure.  Sorry I can't offer more constructive advice.

Written By: Mona on 10/15/04 at 11:01 am

I'm curious as to what's living in my mother's hedge (she has several of these nasty buggers) they're at least an inch or two in size.

I also need to spray for spiders at my house (according to my wife).  Something I've never done before.  I never even heard of anybody spraying for spiders.  What do I use?

Can't tell from the picture, is it black and yellow?  If it is it's a garden spider.  Not harmful just eats bugs.  I used to let one live on my porch because it eat the bugs that were attracted to the porch light.

Written By: Paul on 10/15/04 at 5:38 pm

Where I live it's quite common to spray for spiders, Chuck.

Mind you, we have ones (Redbacks and Funnel Webs) that can kill you with a single bite  :(  If i had my way i would spray them with a flamethrower  :D

And it's for that sort of reason that I'm glad that none of our wildlife can kill us (allegedly...!) - useful creatures, though...I'd never harm one...

What I know about spiders can be written in huge letters on the back of a stamp, so I don't know what's living in your mother's hedge, Chucky...

If it's really getting to the point where it's disturbing her, get ruthless...chop down the hedge - I had to chop down several in my back garden when they started to provide sanctuary for a shedload of snails...

Written By: Howard on 10/15/04 at 7:41 pm

Well,I was thinking of more like spraying the bugger with RAID Roach Control.

Howard

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 10/16/04 at 2:14 am

Hmmm cant help ya Chucky - I am good at identifying all the nasty Aussie spiders - but not american ones.

Fuss - Red Backs DONT kill with one bite - trust me - I have survived many bites over the years and have only needed antivenom once after multiple bites by a very angry group of them.  It depends whether you are bitten by a male or female - whether its mating season, whether their stripe is bright red or closer to a paler orange etc.  My advice - from painful experience - avoid the more orangey ones.

But you can keep your funnelwebs over there in the east - thank gawd none of them have wandered across the Nullabour to Perth !  Very nasty ones they are.

Written By: Gecko on 10/16/04 at 5:32 am

I always had Redbacks living in my garage at my old place.  I would find a couple, kill them, and a few days later had more there.  In the end, I gave up on killing them - I just made sure I checked my shoes before I put them on! :)

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 10/16/04 at 7:52 am

Hmmm cant help ya Chucky - I am good at identifying all the nasty Aussie spiders - but not american ones.

Fuss - Red Backs DONT kill with one bite - trust me - I have survived many bites over the years and have only needed antivenom once after multiple bites by a very angry group of them.  It depends whether you are bitten by a male or female - whether its mating season, whether their stripe is bright red or closer to a paler orange etc.  My advice - from painful experience - avoid the more orangey ones.

But you can keep your funnelwebs over there in the east - thank gawd none of them have wandered across the Nullabour to Perth !  Very nasty ones they are.

Well BMG, I am glad you survived, however, I am not up for putting your theories to the test !  :o

They "can" kill with one then  ;)

And to support that statement :

http://www.termite.com/spiders/Red-Back-Spider.shtml

:)

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 10/16/04 at 9:21 am

Well BMG, I am glad you survived, however, I am not up for putting your theories to the test ! :o

They "can" kill with one then ;)

And to support that statement :

http://www.termite.com/spiders/Red-Back-Spider.shtml

:)

Gee Fuss - I wouldnt call them theories !! I think I sat the practical exam ! I still have photos of the bites.  There is a medical site somewhere - cant find it right now - that shows only a handful of people have actually died from red back bites in the past 50 years.  I dont claim they are "not dangerous" - within seconds of being bitten I was weak, disorientated and felt like lead.  The first time I didnt actually realised I had been bitten and I went to work in that state - passed out later in the day and was taken to hospital.  The other times I actually saw the pesky critters climb out of my garden hose and come at me.  Death is usually caused in elderly, babies and peole with low immunity.  My old house was totally infested with them.  Since I moved to my apartment I have yet to see a single spider - let alone a poisoness one.  I have saved a fortune in Mortein !!!!

So has anyone identified Chuckys friend yet ?

Written By: danootaandme on 10/16/04 at 9:36 am

Hot tip, go to your bookstore and buy the National Audubon Society Field Guide
to North American Insects and Spiders.  I use it all the time. They also have them
for Trees, Birds, Wildflowers, etc.  They are a great reference books and tell you what
you need to know.  The one in the picture is hard to tell, but may be the American
House Spider, but there are a couple more it could be.

Written By: Dagwood on 10/16/04 at 10:50 am

I think Cheer might be right (although that page will give me nightmares)

Written By: Fred on 10/17/04 at 1:00 am

Napalm.  I HATE spiders.  >:( :P

Check for new replies or respond here...