inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why oh Why wasn't this made into a movie?

Written By: Harmonica on 10/17/04 at 11:25 pm

I don't care what it is...A book...A world event...a small town event...whatever....if you can think of something...that you think should of been made into a movie...write it down...and share it with me.

A Book - The Iowa Baseball Confederacy by W.P. Kinsella who also wrote Shoeless Joe which conspired into the famous hit "Field of Dreams".

It's a story about a man who is trying to prove that a minor league Iowa Baseball team once played the Chicago Cubs and beat them. The story definitely has it's far fetched moments, the same way Field of Dreams did. His dad dies from getting hit by a baseball at the game, he's got pale blue colored eyes and white hair so people think he's an albino.

On a sad note I never finished the book had about 20 page to go when I handed it back in to the library.

I believe this book could of made the same impact as Field of Dreams it tells a very dominate story.

Subject: Re: Why oh Why wasn't this made into a movie?

Written By: danootaandme on 10/18/04 at 8:05 am

I don't care what it is...A book...A world event...a small town event...whatever....if you can think of something...that you think should of been made into a movie...write it down...and share it with me.

A Book - The Iowa Baseball Confederacy by W.P. Kinsella who also wrote Shoeless Joe which conspired into the famous hit "Field of Dreams".

It's a story about a man who is trying to prove that a minor league Iowa Baseball team once played the Chicago Cubs and beat them. The story definitely has it's far fetched moments, the same way Field of Dreams did. His dad dies from getting hit by a baseball at the game, he's got pale blue colored eyes and white hair so people think he's an albino.

On a sad note I never finished the book had about 20 page to go when I handed it back in to the library.

I believe this book could of made the same impact as Field of Dreams it tells a very dominate story.

There are some true stories that are just as fantastic.  When Blacks were banned from Major League
play, and whites were told by the owners they were not allowed to play against them in the United States alot of the players would go to Cuba to play each other.  Here are a few tidbits

Down in Havana in the winter of 1911, Negro Leaguer John Henry Lloyd met the great Ty Cobb man to man, and Lloyd out-hit Cobb, .500 to .369. Lloyd, a shortstop, wore iron shin guards under his socks, and when Cobb slid into second with his famous sharpened spikes, Lloyd blocked him off the base. They say Cobb was so mad, he stomped off the field and vowed never to play against blacks again.
In 1934 the great Satchel Paige battled the Cardinals’ colorful Dizzy Dean and a skinny black left-hander, Slim Jones, for the title of America’s best pitcher. In the black leagues, Satchel was 19-4, and Jones 20-6. In a two-game showdown in Yankee Stadium, Jones won the first game 2-0. A week later, the boys in the barbershop were “woofin’” that Jones would do it again. Satch led 3-1 as darkness fell in the ninth, then struck out the side, poked his head in the dugout, and said, “Tell that to the boys in the barbershop.”
Cristobal Torriente was the greatest player ever to come out of Cuba. Great centerfielder and hitter, he also pitched and even played third base -- left-handed. In 1920 he faced Babe Ruth in a mano-a-mano duel in Havana. Ruth walked. Torri smashed a homer deep into the unfenced centerfield. Ruth grounded out. Torrie homered again. Babe hit another grounder, then put himself in to pitch. Torri drilled a ball to third that "almost tore my leg off," said Frank Frisch. It was a double. Babe walked in the seventh, and Torriente blasted his third homer to win the duel.

They called Cool Papa Bell the fastest man in spikes (though Negro Leaguer Oscar Chalston stole more bases). In 1948, the 46 year-old Bell wrapped up his ancient legs for one last game against white big leaguers. With Bell on first and the Cardinals' Murray Dickson pitching, Satchel Paige laid down a bunt. Bell was off with the pitch, reached second when bat hit ball, and kept streaking to the uncovered third. The Red Sox' Roy Partee ran to cover the bag, so Bell raced past him and slid across the now unguarded plate. He had scored from first on a bunt.

Josh Gibson was an 18 year-old rookie in the black playoffs of 1930, when he hit the first ball ever over the 457-foot centerfield fence at Forbes Field, home of the Pirates. (He would do it again in 1946.) In Yankee Stadium, against slow-balling Broadway Connie Rector, Josh drove a pitch deep to left-center, then called "Death Valley." It was a low line drive and banged against the back of the old bullpen, a run-way between the grandstand and bleachers. Two feet higher, and it would have been the only fair ball ever hit out of the House that Ruth Built.

Written By: Harmonica on 10/18/04 at 3:38 pm

I like hearing baseball stories...especially those that put the little man against the big man and tell the whole story.

You know your baseball story proved a point that we americans are often shyed away from the wrongs we did in the past...we can look at Hitler and see that hat he had for the Jews and wonder to ourselves "Those Damn Nazi's how could anyone hate some one so much" when not quite a 100 years earlier we were holding black people as slaves and chopping off body parts when they tried to runaway.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/18/04 at 4:10 pm

40 years ago the same thing was happening to blacks who tried to vote in the south.  So it
really isn't that long ago. I can remember it.  But that is off topic.  I like baseball stories, too.
have you seen the movie "Cobb"?  It's about Ty Cobb and one one my favorite movies.
"Bingo Long and His Traveling All Stars" with Richard Pryor and Billy Dee Williams is a
good Negro League movie,  I think the original "Angels in the Outfield" was far superior to
the remake. ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...