inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: This really bugs me...

Written By: moparnut on 10/20/04 at 8:10 pm

This really bugs me. None of you may feel the same or care one way or the other. BUT it really bugs the crap outta me! I go to a few of the meeting websites (ie. yahoo personals, date.com, american singles etc...), now what bugs me is when I get theses so called match up emails. So I go take a look, and I find some profiles that look good at first. They tell you that they are fun and looking for their prince charming, basically looking for pie in the sky and fairy tales, but they also go on to supposedly apologize for sounding shallowbut that they really want what they want! So here is a 5' 3" girl saying that her MATCH has to be between 5' 9" to 6' 3" exceedingly handsome, and built. Oh did I mention that she is down to earth and not superficial and laid back and low maintenance, but does want to be spoiled! and she says all of this trying to be SWEETLY condesending! The thing is just once I would love to tell them the truth about how damn shallow they are and that they need to grow up. Any way I just really felt like venting and if you want to add to this go ahead or if you just want to agree, do that to. I actually felt like using more colorful words, but I don't want to offend anyone.

Subject: Re: This really bugs me...

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/20/04 at 11:49 pm

IMHO, I think everyone wants to be spoiled to a degree. Who doesn't wish to be pampered? Men and women along desire some form of someone taking care of them, even if it's a rose every now and then out of the blue. I do for my husband as he does for me. While I wouldn't call myself spoiled, I like "spoiled-like moments" such as the one I described with the rose.

Does it bother you when they give their height preferences? You can't fault them if that's what they are attracted to. My husband is 6' tall, which is something I find physically attractive. It doesn't make me shallow - just more away of what I like. The key is to find someone who likes you b/c it's what they desire.

Don't give up the search though. Someone is looking for you.

Tanya

Written By: Bobby on 10/21/04 at 5:02 am

I can understand why you feel the way you do, Moparnut. Unfortunately, it is a fact of life that women (like men) will have their preferences. I mean, in theory, I have a preferred hair colour. How shallow is that? But it doesn't mean I don't like ladies of other hair colours.

I would just keep trying and you never know what will happen in the future.  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/21/04 at 9:33 am

I do understand preferences. A long time ago, I started a journal. One of my first entries I wrote down exactly what I was looking for in a man. Very little had to do with looks, even though there were a few mentions of looks in there. It was a few years before I even MET Carlos. After we were dating for a while, I went back and visited that old journal entry and was really surprised that it did sound a lot like Carlos. In terms of hieght preferences, I think I would have rather had someone a little closer to my hieght. I am 5'2" and Carlos is 6 ft. But it does help when I need something on the top shelf.  ;)

One thing that woman don't understand (I learned this the hard way), they should NEVER hook up with a "pretty boy" because a lot of times they are very vain. Like I said, I used to date a "pretty boy" and he spent more time in front of the mirror than I did. He would have a fit if you messed up his hair.

Just remember that way down deep, some people are shallow.  :D

Good luck with the search Moparnut.

Cat

Written By: Skylark on 10/21/04 at 11:01 am

Hey, I know how you feel. I've never actually used a dating site, but I've looked at a few for fun and it's amazing how much guys talk about cars. (I'd say 90% of their profiles mention cars in some form.) To me, the way so many guys try to impress potential dates by showing off their car-knowledge, when many girls wouldn't have a clue what they're talking about, is incredibly shallow (and amusing!).

But seriously, most girls are shallow. It's just a fact. Even I'm shallow. I like attractive guys, I'd be lying if I denied it. But if they don't have a good personality to back it up, they're history. However, as I said in the other topic, there are always solutions to a problem. If you feel these girls are shallow, why bother using the dating service at all? It's easier to meet people in real life anyway, especially if you have a common interest. A friend of mine met her boyfriend in the crowd at a soccer match, so anything's possible!

Alternatively, you can ask someone to set you up for a blind date. The problem with the internet is that you can never be sure whether the other person's lying to you or pulling the wool over your eyes. Face-to-face, people are much more sincere. I would go for the latter in your position.

Written By: Bobby on 10/21/04 at 7:22 pm

Hey, I know how you feel. I've never actually used a dating site, but I've looked at a few for fun and it's amazing how much guys talk about cars. (I'd say 90% of their profiles mention cars in some form.) To me, the way so many guys try to impress potential dates by showing off their car-knowledge, when many girls wouldn't have a clue what they're talking about, is incredibly shallow (and amusing!).

I'm one of the 10% Skylark lol.

This is it, Moparnut. It seems you have a lot more to offer a lady than a guy that goes on about cars (as demonstrated in your insightful threads). If you can be positive and confident in yourself (yep, easier said than done) then you just never know your luck.  :)

Written By: moparnut on 10/23/04 at 10:52 pm

OK lets do a small check here. I certainly understand that one should seek what they want. But sometimes for the sake of so narrow mindedly seeking something you want you just might overlook something very good in front of you, the saying of not seeing the forest for the trees comes to mind. Now I don't have a problem with people wanting what they want, but to go on and lament about where are all the good guys, they don't seem to want good guys, they want sugar daddies and trophies. Now it's true men are the same way, so I won't try to defend myself by trying to say that somehow I have managed to be perfectly different. But time has shown me that the outside wrapping is nice to get ones attention, but it's the inside that better be of substance to keep that someone. Lastly, I love the ads that warn you they are BRUTALLY honest. I take it that means they will always tell the truth now matter how much it hurts someone and no matter that nothing meaningful or of value comes from that truth. What that means is that if the truht does nothing more than hurt someone, the truth giver is being nothing more than cruel and mean spirited, if the truth in fact brings some value to the recipient and helps that person then obvioulsy the truth is good and BENEFICIAL. So if you ask me for the truth I will give it to you, but not at the expense of hurting you especially for no reason. Oh and to clarify something for you all. I don't ask these questions because I have been through the ringer, I ask them soley to make people think. I observe these things out in the public so it makes me think and want to ask questions. Please obeserve the world around you and see what it inspires you to ask!

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/24/04 at 2:42 am

I can't agree with you more!

Tanya

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 10/24/04 at 8:02 am

I have to say that I do have my preferences (I've usually been attracted to tall, slender guys), but I certainly know how you feel. I'm handicapped and I joined a dating agency once. When I wasn't getting too many replies for matches, they had the balls to tell me that not too many people are looking for girls in wheelchairs. ARGH!!!!!!!! >:( What a f*cking waste of money that was!!!!

But it all has a happy ending. I've been happily married for three years, and my hubby...although not tall and slender (but not completely the opposite by any means!)...is the sweetest guy in the world, and I love him. And he loves me! And I met him on the Internet!

TAKE THAT, LIFEMATES!!! :P ;D

Absolutely Vile

Written By: Howard on 10/24/04 at 9:25 am

Good Luck Mop. :)

Howard

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/27/04 at 9:39 am

I have to say that I do have my preferences (I've usually been attracted to tall, slender guys), but I certainly know how you feel. I'm handicapped and I joined a dating agency once. When I wasn't getting too many replies for matches, they had the balls to tell me that not too many people are looking for girls in wheelchairs. ARGH!!!!!!!! >:( What a f*cking waste of money that was!!!!

But it all has a happy ending. I've been happily married for three years, and my hubby...although not tall and slender (but not completely the opposite by any means!)...is the sweetest guy in the world, and I love him. And he loves me! And I met him on the Internet!

TAKE THAT, LIFEMATES!!! :P ;D

Absolutely Vile

Good for you. I am very glad that you and Rush are very happy together.

I don't think that those dating services are worth much. Ok, there may be a small % of couples who do meet through them but I think VERY small.

Cat

Written By: Harmonica on 10/27/04 at 11:55 am

You think that's funny....

On my yahoo profile I put down that you never see me in teen or romance rooms cause I ain't interested...I hide nothing..I come right out and say that I'm "Different" and that I'm "weird"

And ever since I did that....here's who I've had hit on me............

and I've had a few more...but I'm not sure whether to believe the person in the picture is really them or not???

I believe these two though

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/27/04 at 12:58 pm

I play on pogo a lot and my husband does too-using my account. When either one of us goes into a room with the name of Catwoman, I guess some guys think that means that I want to be hit on. The funny thing is, hubby gets hit on more than I do. One time he floored someone by saying, "Married and male". That person left so fast that your head would spin.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 10/27/04 at 8:48 pm

You think that's funny....

On my yahoo profile I put down that you never see me in teen or romance rooms cause I ain't interested...I hide nothing..I come right out and say that I'm "Different" and that I'm "weird"

And ever since I did that....here's who I've had hit on me............

and I've had a few more...but I'm not sure whether to believe the person in the picture is really them or not???

I believe these two though

So,those are the girls who have hit on you Harmonica? ???

Howard

Written By: Davester on 10/27/04 at 9:59 pm

You would've been shredded to pieces were this any messageboard but Decades, even if you actually had a valid point...

When contemplating online love be sure to drink plenty beforehand, it numbs the pain significantly.

Written By: Harmonica on 10/28/04 at 12:46 pm

So,those are the girls who have hit on you Harmonica? ???

Howard

Yes Howard they have...and they're good looking..and have great personalities...so I do have Hope!! (maybe!)

;D

Written By: Apricot on 10/28/04 at 8:04 pm

This really bugs me. None of you may feel the same or care one way or the other. BUT it really bugs the crap outta me! I go to a few of the meeting websites (ie. yahoo personals, date.com, american singles etc...), now what bugs me is when I get theses so called match up emails. So I go take a look, and I find some profiles that look good at first. They tell you that they are fun and looking for their prince charming, basically looking for pie in the sky and fairy tales, but they also go on to supposedly apologize for sounding shallowbut that they really want what they want! So here is a 5' 3" girl saying that her MATCH has to be between 5' 9" to 6' 3" exceedingly handsome, and built. Oh did I mention that she is down to earth and not superficial and laid back and low maintenance, but does want to be spoiled! and she says all of this trying to be SWEETLY condesending! The thing is just once I would love to tell them the truth about how darn shallow they are and that they need to grow up. Any way I just really felt like venting and if you want to add to this go ahead or if you just want to agree, do that to. I actually felt like using more colorful words, but I don't want to offend anyone.

T'would be irritated myself... are you having trouble finding someone?

Written By: Howard on 10/28/04 at 9:04 pm

I wish you the very best of luck Mop. :)

Howard

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/29/04 at 10:52 am

Try playing under the name "cheerleader" and see what you get...I usually just mess with them and tell them I'm male ;)

One guy didn't believe Carlos when he told him he was male. If it was me, I would have just told him to "Talk to the paw"  ;) :D

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...